• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
S Sunny-Zee KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 Wademan94 Wademan94
Just to clarify, I have removed the embedded from the quotes in your posts. Please don't quote the embed itself and just edit it out instead. Too many embeds per page slow down many users' computers and mobile. Some aren't affected by this, but many are.

I will note that I've done this on this thread for a while, but it wasn't made clear to other users. Apologies for that.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Because WayForward, here is some River City Girls gameplay. Game is looking pretty great.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Alpharad made a Shantae video (again). He also wants Shantae in Smash.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

in that video at 5:58, Im just imagining that crouching hair whip as a down tilt, and it being a disjoint, with that range and even base HGH speed and how OP that would be.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I'm starting to hear things about some of Smash Ultimate's fan rules holding back potential....
Screenshot_20190713-192329_Video Player.jpg

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I know right? Can't people just agree that the only rule Sakurai has ever come out with when it comes to Smash was the "No anime/manga/movie/characters not created from a video game".

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Looks like this game won't even try to be subtle about how silly it is to have two violent students solve more problems than any authority figure can. Most of those students seem numb to pain already with how laid-back their defeat quotes are.

At this point I expect "Barf!!" to be accompanied by actual barfing, and their beatings at the end of the game just letting them jump straight to university.

in that video at 5:58, Im just imagining that crouching hair whip as a down tilt, and it being a disjoint, with that range and even base HGH speed and how OP that would be.
Samus's beam firing speed and Mega Man's limited range buster would disagree.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
I know right? Can't people just agree that the only rule Sakurai has ever come out with when it comes to Smash was the "No anime/manga/movie/characters not created from a video game".
Plus, The Hero will be one that is closest to getting goku in Smash while sticking to Gaming Characters only.
Screenshot_20190612-135634_Video Player.jpg

Last edited:

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman

He's been an advocate for shantae ever since smash for switch was announced back in march, and has had her on both his 10 most wanted characters for smash switch list, as well as his #2 slot for characters he would love to be dlc but think they wouldnt, with #1 being joker. He would love for her to be in, but also thinks she won't. However with ultimate anything is possible. We have ridley, a character who sakurai himself said was too big to put in, K. rool, A character who people viewed as irrelevant, and now banjo-kazoo, which should've been impossible due to them being owned to a competitor.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You guys wonder if there will be any sort of cameo's by WayForward properties in River City Girls? I kinda doubt it, but it is a fun idea.

Dukefire

Smash Master
There might be in any shape or form since that is WF project.

Also, here is a Shantae artwork for tonight.
Artist: TheSilentDrawer
ddbdegj-9366509d-a8e7-4977-aafe-f6e33fd4ddb6.png

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
You guys wonder if there will be any sort of cameo's by WayForward properties in River City Girls? I kinda doubt it, but it is a fun idea.
Game looks fitting to have a Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi cameo. Points to anyone who knows who they are without looking them up.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Cello_us on Twitter has added additional doodles alongside his mascot crossover drawing. They seem like such a happy crew!

D_gRgg2UwAAfA_M.jpg

Huh, there's already River City Girls fan art
Way ahead of ya, I've seen some float around on WF retweets.

Game looks fitting to have a Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi cameo. Points to anyone who knows who they are without looking them up.
I don't know how that would make sense without their real-life artists doing a song for this game.

I figure that Risky could fit in as a NPC teacher.

D267PjzXcAIT9nz.png

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I don't know how that would make sense without their real-life artists doing a song for this game.
Not so much a song, just a random appearance to nod the fact they're a girl duo that go on crazy adventures too is what I was getting at. They had a cartoon show way back.

I figure that Risky could fit in as a NPC teacher.
And Shantae as rival teacher next class over in that case as a dance instructor.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Living all the love shantae has veen getting, all from a little window haha.
I’m not surprised but at the same time I am. I knew that the window would get Shantae some popularity but I wasn’t expecting this much at all.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Not to set anything, but words are slowly being passed around for Geno having a Higher shot to Smash Ultimate.

Though, the future is still uncertain with the things nintendo been doing so far.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Heck, maybe they could even help publish/port the forthcoming EWJ3 on consoles other than the Intellivsion Amico.
Oh, shoot. I forgot about that. The current stance on that console is all the games on it will be exclusive. So unless it goes the way of the OUYA I don't think Earthworm Jim 3 would likely get ported to anything.

As for Geno, anything is possible, but I find it hard to believe that Square would get two reps in the fighters pass. I wouldn't mind Geno at all as he is an interesting character with a cool history, I just personally feel that "Hero" kind of gets in the way of him for this string of DLC

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh, shoot. I forgot about that. The current stance on that console is all the games on it will be exclusive. So unless it goes the way of the OUYA I don't think Earthworm Jim 3 would likely get ported to anything.
Yeah, thing is that severely limits the audience of whoever would want to play the game.

At least the Indiegogo comic campaign is widely accessible.

Not to set anything, but words are slowly being passed around for Geno having a Higher shot to Smash Ultimate.

Though, the future is still uncertain with the things nintendo been doing so far.
Best to wait until Winter before cryptically assuming the worst. :drshrug:

Besides, it's been a slow news season so far. Not even a Kirby game has been announced.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero

If i recall thats only due to 2 songs being taken down from youtube for cooyright by nintendo. Hard to say what it means. A world where Geno and Shantae get added would be amazing. I see shantae as the 4th dlc and Geno the game rewards reveal

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
I'm just curious if there will be a 2nd fighter pass in the end. It all depends on Sakurai if he wants to.

As for Geno, he has a shot. But the music being taken down from YouTube is extremely easy to do for a troll. Just make a copyright claim, and most of the time YouTube will take it down without really looking to deeply about it.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'm just curious if there will be a 2nd fighter pass in the end. It all depends on Sakurai if he wants to.

As for Geno, he has a shot. But the music being taken down from YouTube is extremely easy to do for a troll. Just make a copyright claim, and most of the time YouTube will take it down without really looking to deeply about it.
Wasn't there some actual Nintendo relation to this though? Plus, there is the whole YouTube policy change going on.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Meanwhile, just about everyone forgot the WOL datamine except maybe me. That's the only possible clue towards a second pass, and it's written off as "unused stuff is found in game code all the time", while fake leaks are treated as a more pressing matter.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Meanwhile, just about everyone forgot the WOL datamine except maybe me. That's the only possible clue towards a second pass, and it's written off as "unused stuff is found in game code all the time", while fake leaks are treated as a more pressing matter.
We know that data mine. However, just because there are that many slots doesnt mean they will fill them, or even patch to add more. Right now we just know we can have 90 characters in smash if they use all those slots

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I think there is a little more promise to the WoL datamine than just that tho.

Sakurai has said that a "Everyone is Here" Smash game will pretty much never be able to happen again. He also must know that when the next game comes out and that promise comes true, people will still be disappointing by it (look at what's currently happening with pokemon to get an idea of how people would react)

It's very possible that rather than work on the Next Smash right away, that he would try to extend the life of this version of Smash for as long as possible. The best way of doing that would be to continue DLC past the initial fighter pass.

This would not only give a chance to make this game an even bigger fan pleaser, but it would be a much smaller work load than starting a new game entirely.

I imagine the Switch is going to have a longer than average shelf life and I really would be surprised if the Switch gets another Smash. So that could mean stretching this smash out for a few years would be the best option to please as many people (fans and Nintendo execs) as possible.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think there is a little more promise to the WoL datamine than just that tho.

Sakurai has said that a "Everyone is Here" Smash game will pretty much never be able to happen again. He also must know that when the next game comes out and that promise comes true, people will still be disappointing by it (look at what's currently happening with pokemon to get an idea of how people would react)

It's very possible that rather than work on the Next Smash right away, that he would try to extend the life of this version of Smash for as long as possible. The best way of doing that would be to continue DLC past the initial fighter pass.

This would not only give a chance to make this game an even bigger fan pleaser, but it would be a much smaller work load than starting a new game entirely.

I imagine the Switch is going to have a longer than average shelf life and I really would be surprised if the Switch gets another Smash. So that could mean stretching this smash out for a few years would be the best option to please as many people (fans and Nintendo execs) as possible.
Very good reasoning. It does help that a certain other fighting game franchise eventually did "Everyone is here!" a second time in its run.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fichier:The_King_of_Fighters_Logo.svg
At least SNK fans would be understanding of roster cuts being a given.

Also, the deconfirmations of today might become the newcomers of tomorrow, so I wouldn't be bothered too much by missing veterans unless severe technical issues got in the way for some characters.

Finally, Sakurai did half-jokingly assume that a new Smash wouldn't happen until 10 years from now, so it may be correct to assume that they'll stretch the life of this one.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Very good reasoning. It does help that a certain other fighting game franchise eventually did "Everyone is here!" a second time in its run.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fichier:The_King_of_Fighters_Logo.svg
At least SNK fans would be understanding of roster cuts being a given.

Also, the deconfirmations of today might become the newcomers of tomorrow, so I wouldn't be bothered too much by missing veterans unless severe technical issues got in the way for some characters.

Finally, Sakurai did half-jokingly assume that a new Smash wouldn't happen until 10 years from now, so it may be correct to assume that they'll stretch the life of this one.
It certainly wouldn't take as long as his joke, but I do think he is certainly in no rush. Not only would making another game just be a lot of work, but for a perfectionist like him, it would be hard to make a game that feels like an actual successor to Ultimate. And you might be ok with some veterans not returning, but I can promise you no matter who was cut, a portion of the fanbase would be upset.

To bring it back to pokemon, every fighter is someone's favorite so if your main is left out it could ruin the whole game for you. Sakurai is certainly aware of this and would probably feel a little bad about any cut he had to make (he always tries so hard to please as many fans as possible)

And considering the toll this game took on him (right after what 4 did to him) I could definitely see him using this as an excuse to slow down on development while also making as many fans happy in the process.

And Nintendo certainly isn;t hurting for a Smash successor anytime soon. Think of the lifespan Mario Kart 8 has had? Selling just as well when it released on the Switch as a new Mario Kart would have. I could see the next NIntendo console coming out and Ultimate COmpletel being released on it to ease the pressure of needing a new Smash for it right away.

Also, it's funny that you bring up SNK fighters. This week SNK Heroines went on sale new at Gamestop for $9 so I decided to pick it up today for a laugh.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It certainly wouldn't take as long as his joke, but I do think he is certainly in no rush. Not only would making another game just be a lot of work, but for a perfectionist like him, it would be hard to make a game that feels like an actual successor to Ultimate. And you might be ok with some veterans not returning, but I can promise you no matter who was cut, a portion of the fanbase would be upset.

To bring it back to pokemon, every fighter is someone's favorite so if your main is left out it could ruin the whole game for you. Sakurai is certainly aware of this and would probably feel a little bad about any cut he had to make (he always tries so hard to please as many fans as possible)

And considering the toll this game took on him (right after what 4 did to him) I could definitely see him using this as an excuse to slow down on development while also making as many fans happy in the process.

And Nintendo certainly isn;t hurting for a Smash successor anytime soon. Think of the lifespan Mario Kart 8 has had? Selling just as well when it released on the Switch as a new Mario Kart would have. I could see the next NIntendo console coming out and Ultimate COmpletel being released on it to ease the pressure of needing a new Smash for it right away.

Also, it's funny that you bring up SNK fighters. This week SNK Heroines went on sale new at Gamestop for $9 so I decided to pick it up today for a laugh.
Some people will get upset no matter what happens. At least most people are expecting to swallow the bitter pill in this case (compared to the Pokémon fans having been caught completely off-guard), so we're simply waiting for the inevitable. The MK Deluxe treatment is a pretty good compromise though, especially given that it'd be tougher for new fans to get all the DLC if it's taken down by then.

Speaking of Mario Kart, I do hope there will be more variety next time. The division handling those games have settled far too much into a comfort zone, regarding the Mario characters. At least they should toss in Pauline, for crying out loud.

Anywho, have a Shantae by RuRu.

D_cxVLIVAAMvGPW.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom