• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh boy time to play catchup.

The opening animation for shantae 5 looks amazing. While I would like that window to be a hint, I doubt it would be. I think its safe to say shantae wouldn't be a part of this fighter pass. Though it is great that it brought so much attention to the half genie hero. If mimic was teased to be playable from it, i think it would be hilarious if he had a plauge knight playstyle.
It's a hint...that they won't give up on Smash Bros, no matter what happens. They're expecting their fans to do the same. :4pacman:

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
What makes you so sure of that? They've used the female trainer of the generation (or Lillie) to fill the female companion role ever since Hoenn, not a Water gym leader like Misty. Not to mention the relatively nonstandard format of the Sun/Moon season. Actually, due to how corporate the whole Galar league is, I don't think any gym leader has the luxury of just hiring a replacement while they go travelling: their sponsors probably want them to be available at a moment's notice.

Not saying it's impossible Nessa will be more populaar at the end of the day, but I don't see any obvious signs of her being more significant at the moment.

Back to Bea, I realize there's another fairly recent Nintendo female who wields a steely gaze and martial arts...

She won a massive popularity contest spannning several weeks in her game, by the way.
Well, in Gen 5 they didn't use the female protag because al the characters were a few years older than as was, so they opted for Cylan and Iris.

This time around the trainers again seem older than the standard pokemon characters so, plus as they have said before the female companion is usually added as fan service. So, Nessa is one of the earlier gyms visited which gives her a boost because they usually like to use characters that fans are likely to already have encountered in the games, or will encounter soon. Second, her very petite body type can lead to some age ambiguity making it easier to pair her along with Ash. Not to mention having a more sassy attitude which is something they like to put opposite to the more naive Ash attitude.

I imagine the anime will most likely be Ash traveling along with Milo and Nessa. Milo being the nurturing, supportive one and Nessa the initially abrassive willful one. Also if they decide to go the route where Ash only gets one of the starters (it's half and half if he gets all of them or if they get split up among him and his companions) then this set up would work out well. If that leak that has been right about everything so far turns out to be right about the starter evolution, then Scorbunny is that kind that Ash would usually get paired with, leaving Sobble and Grookey to be used by Nessa and Milo.

None of this is meant to say that I don't like Bea. If anything I like her so much that even tho I was originally leaning toward getting Shield, but now I am unsure. Just as a mid to late game encounter, and one that only half the players will come across, she is already destined to be far less popular than one of the early game gyms that everyone will experience. Exposure means a lot in fandoms.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Well guys I am reporting back in from my camp over in Canada and I gotta say I hope shantae is in the fighters pass and if not maybe she’ll get in through a season 2? If any indie gets in as a fighter I’d imagine shantae would be first considered given her history with Nintendo and another female fighter would be appreciated by the fans. Anybody think the stars are aligning with shantae 5 coming out this year?

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Anybody think the stars are aligning with shantae 5 coming out this year?
Hopefully. Have to say Nintendo could've announced everyone by now but with all the lip tightening as all these games starrin those popular requests from Shantae to Doomguy are releasing around the time the DLC line-up concludes? Funny timing that.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Well guys I am reporting back in from my camp over in Canada and I gotta say I hope shantae is in the fighters pass and if not maybe she’ll get in through a season 2? If any indie gets in as a fighter I’d imagine shantae would be first considered given her history with Nintendo and another female fighter would be appreciated by the fans. Anybody think the stars are aligning with shantae 5 coming out this year?
I think the odds of Shantae 5 come out this year are still good. I don't think they would have said 2019 if they didn't think it was possible.

Now of course anything could happen, but until we get either word from WF or some reason to suspect a delay (like an announcement was supposed to be made but never happened or all they social media went silent) then I will keep aiming that 2019 is a sure thing.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Even with Shantae 5 in the picture, I sadly don’t think she has much of a fighting chance. DLC is usually decided pretty early on, and if Shantae was considered I don’t think she would be a spirit. Still, Sakurai had broken away from the norm before.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Even with Shantae 5 in the picture, I sadly don’t think she has much of a fighting chance. DLC is usually decided pretty early on, and if Shantae was considered I don’t think she would be a spirit. Still, Sakurai had broken away from the norm before.
Well, obviously. :ultmewtwo::ultlucas:

Also, let's remember that the spirits were mainly picked by a team that's separate from the game's main staff. The selection is entirely theirs, which accounts for some odd omissions (Paint Roller isn't in despite being a Sakurai creation, for instance).

For now though, many people treat spirits as an absolute that can never be deviated from, even though the images themselves don't interact with anything, unlike ATs or background characters.

The only hope there is for a season 2 is a WOL datamine that people are quick to dismiss as "lots of games have stuff in the code that isn't used, they won't necessarily use those slots", before going back to silly theories.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Also, let's remember that the spirits were mainly picked by a team that's separate from the game's main staff. The selection is entirely theirs, which accounts for some odd omissions (Paint Roller isn't in despite being a Sakurai creation, for instance).
Got a source? I’ve never heard about this. Even then, the picks had to fly by Nintendo at one point, probably.
For now though, many people treat spirits as an absolute that can never be deviated from, even though the images themselves don't interact with anything, unlike ATs or background characters.
Thing is, they do in a way. They give the fighter boosts, etc. Fighter spirits exist so that you can have a spirit of a fighter, but you can’t battle alongside them because then you would have Mario being assisted by a dead Mario spirit. This doesn’t mean that she is de-confirmed, but we should probably consider that.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Got a source? I’ve never heard about this. Even then, the picks had to fly by Nintendo at one point, probably.

Thing is, they do in a way. They give the fighter boosts, etc. Fighter spirits exist so that you can have a spirit of a fighter, but you can’t battle alongside them because then you would have Mario being assisted by a dead Mario spirit. This doesn’t mean that she is de-confirmed, but we should probably consider that.
You can still do things by having a character powered up by themselves.

In any case, until further notice, it's weird how Trigger deliberately decided to reference Smash Bros. with that damned window perspective, when there's no reason to do that, if Shantae is indeed non-playable. Most people wouldn't pay any mind to it, compared to Deltarune's blatant dialogue reference.

Anyway, here it is:

https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...ng-bosses-and-spirits-new-stages-much-more/2/

There’s a huge number of Spirits in the game; what was the selection process like?

Sakurai: I basically checked over what the Spirits team had picked and added/removed characters accordingly. Each characters’ ease of use and whether or not we had their original art also played a part to a degree. There were some characters that were candidates for Spirits that we ended up having to pass on just because we couldn’t find the artwork.

That really would have an effect on things, wouldn’t it?

Sakurai: Aside from that, there were quite a few characters from “Kid Icarus: Uprising”, so I had the team trim a few of them off. It’s a title I’m pretty intimately familiar with (laughs), and knowing the characters individually allowed me to clearly see any benefits of having them in the game as Spirits.

Did you ever include candidates from a perspective of how they’d function in-game?

Sakurai: We didn’t think that far ahead in the selection process, but by that point we can imagine how they’d function in-game.

While you were sifting through candidates, were there any characters where you thought “now who is this character?”

Sakurai: From time to time yes, but in those cases, I’d look into it immediately. Games like “Fire Emblem” and “Castlevania” have long histories, and even knowing the games I’d still find myself thinking, “where in the chronology does this protagonist come from?” That’s when I look back over the timeline.

The differences between the games themselves must’ve been a struggle to deal with.

Sakurai: It was a lot of fun though, getting to see such a variety of characters.
Obviously, he'd have some input with what the team picked (mostly IPs he personally worked on :4pacman:), but that's the extent of it.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
You can still do things by having a character powered up by themselves.

In any case, until further notice, it's weird how Trigger deliberately decided to reference Smash Bros. with that damned window perspective, when there's no reason to do that, if Shantae is indeed non-playable. Most people wouldn't pay any mind to it, compared to Deltarune's blatant dialogue reference.

Anyway, here it is:

https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...ng-bosses-and-spirits-new-stages-much-more/2/

Obviously, he'd have some input with what the team picked (mostly IPs he personally worked on :4pacman:), but that's the extent of it.
Ah I see. Thanks!

Also, as for the window, honestly I don’t think it is teasing Smash. Probably just over-speculation though. If it IS a Smash tease then I will be one happy man.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Ah I see. Thanks!

Also, as for the window, honestly I don’t think it is teasing Smash. Probably just over-speculation though. If it IS a Smash tease then I will be one happy man.
It's a Schrodinger's Tease, if anything. Besides, Trigger likes to reference a metric ton of things anyway.

Edited out the naughty line and provided clearer context, sorry people.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
They really don't tho. Many fighters already have spirits of themselves, often just wearing a different outfit or from a different art style.

Mario can be boosted by a spirit of himself in Tennis shorts. K Rool can take advantage of powers granted to him by himself in a scientist coat. Kirby can be empowered by a picture of himself holding a special sword.

For me, a spirit could only deconfirm a character out right if they only had one form or design to be represented as (and even then you could make arguments that a fighter version could have a different enough design to warrant a different spirit)

Shantae might have seemed in trouble back when HGH was her latest game (but even then you could say that for her fighter they might pick a style more to her origins or something that mixes everything together) But now that she has a more relevant game coming out and a new design with it, I think her being a spirit doesn't really affect anything. Doesn't mean she is in, just means that if she is or isn't, the spirit isn't a factor

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
One thing that comes to mind on the Spirit debate: is there any particular reason the curent spirit can't be renamed "Shantae (Half Genie Hero)" if Shantae becomes a Fighter?

It would be rather silly if Nintendo couldn't fix a typo or something on spirit name. Retcon for a spirit to Fighter would use a similar system.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
One thing that comes to mind on the Spirit debate: is there any particular reason the curent spirit can't be renamed "Shantae (Half Genie Hero)" if Shantae becomes a Fighter?

It would be rather silly if Nintendo couldn't fix a typo or something on spirit name. Retcon for a spirit to Fighter would use a similar system.
I don't know if they even really need to do that. I mean DK has a spirit called "Donkey Kong and Bongos" It's not a different version of DK (like you could argue about Fire Kirby or Tennis Aces Mario) it's just regular DOnkey Kong "and Bongos"

I mean, it would be easy enough to retcon the name of her spirit, but I don't think it would be very necessary. There wouldn't be be any other "Shantae" equipable spirit to confuse it with, and visually it would be clear that it was a different take on the character in the same vain as DK's other spirit "Donkey Kong and Lady" (yes I know in some canon that is considered to be Cranky Kong, but who is to say how that works in Smash?)

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Found some crossover art with an anime I don't know.
Also, I just found this amazing animatic. Don't know how many of you have seen it, but Shantae does make a cameo in it, so I figured to link it here.
Okay, one, the anime is Space Patrol Luluco, another Studio Trigger anime (continuing the trend of pairing Shantae with Trigger productions), and two, you’re late by a few pages with that (admittedly well done) Captain N reboot animatic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Also, I just found this amazing animatic. Don't know how many of you have seen it, but Shantae does make a cameo in it, so I figured to link it here.
Anime is Space Patrol Luluco which is produced by Trigger as well.

I haven’t spotted the cameo yet, could you timestamp it for me please?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Okay, one, the anime is Space Patrol Luluco, another Studio Trigger anime (continuing the trend of pairing Shantae with Trigger productions), and two, you’re late by a few pages with that (admittedly well done) Captain N reboot animatic.
Thanks and figures. Wonder why I missed it though? What post shared the video?

Edit:
Anime is Space Patrol Luluco which is produced by Trigger as well.

I haven’t spotted the cameo yet, could you timestamp it for me please?
3:23

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
They really don't tho. Many fighters already have spirits of themselves, often just wearing a different outfit or from a different art style.

Mario can be boosted by a spirit of himself in Tennis shorts. K Rool can take advantage of powers granted to him by himself in a scientist coat. Kirby can be empowered by a picture of himself holding a special sword.

For me, a spirit could only deconfirm a character out right if they only had one form or design to be represented as (and even then you could make arguments that a fighter version could have a different enough design to warrant a different spirit)

Shantae might have seemed in trouble back when HGH was her latest game (but even then you could say that for her fighter they might pick a style more to her origins or something that mixes everything together) But now that she has a more relevant game coming out and a new design with it, I think her being a spirit doesn't really affect anything. Doesn't mean she is in, just means that if she is or isn't, the spirit isn't a factor
Nothing's stopping them from simply using older designs (as most of the Street Fighter cast does), or even just using the Smash render by itself if all else fails as they did with Cloud and Robin.

And as far as DLC goes, Joker can be powered by a group shot of his Phantom Thieves gang, including himself.

Thing is, the battle itself doesn't just reference Shantae in Half-Genie Hero, it also includes the skills she learned in Pirate's Curse, in the form of using Zero Suit Samus (who has a pistol), a whip of sorts and giving her a beam sword (scimitar), in addition to her normal shapeshifting powers represented by the spawning tranformation items.

Dukefire

Smash Master
The Captian N Promo Reboot looks great. I forgot how good was the original when I was younger.

Also, here is a Shantae Artwork for today. (Plus, its a crossover to one of Studio Trigger's animations.)
Artist: AntopellicArt
yoko_and_shantae_by_antopellicart_ddbloy5-pre.jpg

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So we know a Smash Ballot is out of the question for Ultimate, but what if there is another one for Smash 6? How you guys think that one would turn out and how popular do you think our Half-Genie Hero would be by than if she doesn't make it into the roster beforehand?

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
So we know a Smash Ballot is out of the question for Ultimate, but what if there is another one for Smash 6? How you guys think that one would turn out and how popular did you think our Half-Genie Hero would be by than if she doesn't make it into the roster beforehand?
I think she would definitely be up there, but I don’t think she would pit well against more popular picks like Geno or Waluigi.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So we know a Smash Ballot is out of the question for Ultimate, but what if there is another one for Smash 6? How you guys think that one would turn out and how popular do you think our Half-Genie Hero would be by than if she doesn't make it into the roster beforehand?
So you think she would be in the same position in terms of popularity that she is now in the Smash community?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To add a layer to the reference, the guy in the back is the protagonist of Inferno Cop, yet another Trigger work.

The Captian N Promo Reboot looks great. I forgot how good was the original when I was younger.

Also, here is a Shantae Artwork for today. (Plus, its a crossover to one of Studio Trigger's animations.)
Artist: AntopellicArt
Technically, Gurren Lagann's Yoko is from the pre-Trigger days, back when their founders were at Gainax.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I kinda feel they won't ever do a ballot again. Firstly they already got a very good idea on how much demand there is for characters still not included, so if they wanted to pull from it there are plenty other popular ones left out. Second, people weren't exactly pleased with how the last ballot went. It wasn't an absolute nightmare, but i think it was still more trouble than it ended up being worth, so I think they would just consider themselves better off without trying it again.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
So you think she would be in the same position in terms of popularity that she is now in the Smash community?
It is impossible to say how popular her and other characters will be. I was just saying that as if it was being held with everyone still ranking the same in popularity.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I kinda feel they won't ever do a ballot again. Firstly they already got a very good idea on how much demand there is for characters still not included, so if they wanted to pull from it there are plenty other popular ones left out. Second, people weren't exactly pleased with how the last ballot went. It wasn't an absolute nightmare, but i think it was still more trouble than it ended up being worth, so I think they would just consider themselves better off without trying it again.
Adding to that, I think they'll go back to doing house polls in Japan only again. Generally speaking in regards to Japanese culture, if something is done differently and it doesn't work that well, they go back to the tried-and-true and double down on that.

On the bright side, the "character checklist" will be bigger than the one Brawl's poll results had.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Until another Nintendo Direct appears with potential Smash News and/or announcements, the speculation will continue.

Also, not to sound dramatic, but the speculations and rumors so far are going through GER with Sakurai and Nintendo doing a great job keeping leaks at bay.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Until another Nintendo Direct appears with potential Smash News and/or announcements, the speculation will continue.

Also, not to sound dramatic, but the speculations and rumors so far are going through GER with Sakurai and Nintendo doing a great job keeping leaks at bay.
I wouldn't call it dramatic, actually. It's just things being quiet, as it should be.

That being said, here's a great fan art I came across on a Crash twitter account, of all things. From a Japanese fan, no less.

D_cMs0MVUAETarS.jpg

What I wouldn't give to see this happen.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Honestly, I hope Shantae gets into Ultimate because I think her odds are better now than hoping for an inclusion in a hypothetical Smash 6. Every possible newcomer has A LOT of competition when it comes to getting into a Smash 6 because they won't be competing against each other, but also against everyone in the current roster.

As Sakurai said, a "Everyone is here" situation like this will probably never happen again. So a new game will have to have new characters to make it worth getting, which means existing characters would again get left out like back in Brawl and 4. Any new comer is likely to get a lot of hate from fans if a particular favorite gets lefts out (I know part of my apathy toward Lucario was born from him obviously acting as a replacement for my main, Mewtwo)

So Shantae would not only have to compete with the high requests of the "yet to smash" crowd, but she would also have to compete with the less than assured member of the current rosters. She would compete with Roy and Daisy and Young Link and any other character who stands a chance of being left out next time around.

On the bright side, this inevitability may be all the more reason for Sakurai to continue more DLC for Ultimate. As in "I'll never have a roster this big again, lets do everything we can with it before worrying about the next game and the inevitable cuts."

Dukefire

Smash Master
I wouldn't call it dramatic, actually. It's just things being quiet, as it should be.

That being said, here's a great fan art I came across on a Crash twitter account, of all things. From a Japanese fan, no less.

What I wouldn't give to see this happen.
Hope to any potential character to join Smash Ultimate.
Plus, there are those that are born bad
Artist: DrQuack64
Born_to_be_Bad_by_DrQuack64.png

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think that when you get into Smash, you get a sort of immunity that lets you be brought back sooner or later (potentially much more difficult for some third parties, like Cloud). Besides keeping rosters a little more reasonable, the only real obstacles are possible tech limitations (see: 2/3rds of Pokémon Trainer and the Ice Climbers) and third party negotiations (Snake and possibly Cloud).

Luckily, since everyone so far has been brought back into the same game, their assets can be conveniently be used to cut down on dev work on later productions, should the need to bring them back arise and work on later newcomers proves to be a challenge.

In the end though, we probably are just being worried for nothing. And least one of Shantae's biggest "competition" got out of the way. :ultbanjokazooie:

Last edited:
Top Bottom