• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Something I've noticed hat on the Custom Stages listing by most popular, Shantae and Risky stages are VERY high up on it.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Something I've noticed hat on the Custom Stages listing by most popular, Shantae and Risky stages are VERY high up on it.
Though I don't roam the custom stage's list. I'm now starting to notice a high amount for those two.
Screenshot_20190602-154854_YouTube.jpg

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Shantae not getting into Smash was perhaps one of my biggest disappointments with Ultimate.

While my hype is more focused on Banjo-Kazooie at the moment, I'm still hoping that she can still make it into the DLC as well. She deserves it considering her history with Nintendo and being the face of Nindies.

I mean, Nintendo has to see all those Shantae custom stages, right?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Shantae not getting into Smash was perhaps one of my biggest disappointments with Ultimate.

While my hype is more focused on Banjo-Kazooie at the moment, I'm still hoping that she can still make it into the DLC as well. She deserves it considering her history with Nintendo and being the face of Nindies.

If only we had an idea when DLC was started on...

Dukefire

Smash Master

That is true. It is on their official servers, so the company can see.

Again, the final call is on Nintendo, Sakurai and Wayforward for her inclusion. Though it might be too late since it might be locked already with the pre-chosen picks for the Fighters Pass.

We will just have to find soon at E3 to know more.......

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Nintendo will do what they can to promote Shantae's latest endeavour at the very least. They know Nintendo fans also like Shantae.

The chances of spirits being chosen well before DLC was it pretty high. Piranha Plant doesn't count, and Joker is not the type of character to include lightly in a largely Nintendo-themed crossover.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Nintendo will do what they can to promote Shantae's latest endeavour at the very least. They know Nintendo fans also like Shantae.

The chances of spirits being chosen well before DLC was it pretty high. Piranha Plant doesn't count, and Joker is not the type of character to include lightly in a largely Nintendo-themed crossover.
why doesnt PP count to play devil's advocate

Dukefire

Smash Master
why doesnt PP count to play devil's advocate
PP was planned to be part of the initial roster, but time constraints had him moved to free DLC.

Which doesn't count to the actual DLC for the Fighters Pass.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
PP was planned to be part of the initial roster, but time constraints had him moved to free DLC.

Which doesn't count to the actual DLC for the Fighters Pass.
We actually don't know if he was planned for the initial roster. He could've been worked as DLC pretty much from the start. He was worked on early enough for a Palutena's Guidance. We just have an implication he could've been a base roster character at best.

Sakurai's own statements of the base roster also implies he really was meant for DLC. He had a ton of character plans, and nobody was added or removed after the main plan was finished. This would mean he was a DLC character from the start, if we take this literally.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We actually don't know if he was planned for the initial roster. He could've been worked as DLC pretty much from the start. He was worked on early enough for a Palutena's Guidance. We just have an implication he could've been a base roster character at best.

Sakurai's own statements of the base roster also implies he really was meant for DLC. He had a ton of character plans, and nobody was added or removed after the main plan was finished. This would mean he was a DLC character from the start, if we take this literally.
PP is such a really weird outlier in every respect. They of all things may very well be the only DLC character in this run with a PG (assuming that people after Joker obviously won't get any for convenience's sake).

There's taking baby steps, and then there's taking a single step, then going back to crawling.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239

Actually we do. Remember when PP was revealed? A month before Ultimate's release date and it was a gameplay reveal not a anime/CGI reveal like say Joker. So yes you can say he was supposed to be part of the initial roster.

EDIT: See this video is from November 1st, 2018.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Actually we do. Remember when PP was revealed? A month before Ultimate's release date and it was a gameplay reveal not a anime/CGI reveal like say Joker. So yes you can say he was supposed to be part of the initial roster.

EDIT: See this video is from November 1st, 2018.

That just means it was worked on before the final roster was finished being worked on. That doesn’t it would’ve been base roster. It’s a reasonable theory but impossible to prove.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, since Sakurai said "no one was added or removed", it doesn't mean that no one has been moved from base roster to DLC roster.

Unless PP was done on such extremely short notice because they wanted a character that barely had limbs or no joints so it could be done faster.

...My god, we're so bored that we're talking about PP theories on the Shantae thread now, aren't we? :drsad:

Dukefire

Smash Master
You know, since Sakurai said "no one was added or removed", it doesn't mean that no one has been moved from base roster to DLC roster.

Unless PP was done on such extremely short notice because they wanted a character that barely had limbs or no joints so it could be done faster.

...My god, we're so bored that we're talking about PP theories on the Shantae thread now, aren't we? :drsad:
For now, I think. Still, the ice breaker is coming in 8 Days. So, we don't have to wait that long for a news bomb to fill the gap.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
That just means it was worked on before the final roster was finished being worked on. That doesn’t it would’ve been base roster. It’s a reasonable theory but impossible to prove.
It was NEARLY finished. Didn't you see the gameplay video? What was in the video that we didn't get at PP's release? Not much hence why PP was part of the initial roster but time didn't allow him to be added before the game went gold.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The ''why'' behind Piranha Plant's circumstances is kind of irrelevant. All that matters is he was treated differently to the other DLC we have and thus can't use him as reliable evidence in speculation (namely his spirit).

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Why do people think all DLC-Characters for Fighter's Pass were pre-planned during the game's development?
Didn't Sakurai himself once say how much he despises that practice?

Also, when did Sakurai post the Tweet that all DLC-Characters for Fighter's Pass have been chosen?
I think it was when the game was already out.

So right now, it looks like Nintendo gave him a list of characters and he picked 5 from that list.
And that was after the game launched.
Am I wrong?

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Why do people think all DLC-Characters for Fighter's Pass were pre-planned during the game's development?

Also, when did Sakurai post the Tweet that all DLC-Characters for Fighter's Pass have been chosen?

So right now, it looks like Nintendo gave him a list of characters and he picked 5 from that list.
Am I wrong?
Somewhat. That list thing was debunked by the creators of Joker because they said it was Sakurai's love for the character that led to him being pick. Not that Nintendo gave any list. All DLC fighters are personally chosen by Mr. Sakurai himself.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Am I wrong?
Sakurai's tweet was in November, before Ultimate's release.

And since negotiations can likely take a month or more, it's likely they started getting the rights for characters earlier so that the devs could start working on DLC after Ultimate was basically done. The "brave" and "jack" codenames were apparently in the code before the game's first update.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ok well apparently it was shantae's b-day.
I dunno if i'm late, but happy bday genie girl :)

saw this on twitter:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

zferolie

Smash Hero
Ok well apparently it was shantae's b-day.
I dunno if i'm late, but happy bday genie girl :)

saw this on twitter:

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Loving all the birthday love our genie got!

As for the idea people have been saying. I personally feel parahna plant was planned originally for the base roster, but they soon saw they couldnt finish him in time, so moved it to free dlc. That seems to fit how sakurai works.

I also feel that all dlc wasnt planned till late in the game development life. Maybe around august or september the started looking or finalizing it. Hence why i feel spirits dont kill dlc chances.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Loving all the birthday love our genie got!

As for the idea people have been saying. I personally feel parahna plant was planned originally for the base roster, but they soon saw they couldnt finish him in time, so moved it to free dlc. That seems to fit how sakurai works.

I also feel that all dlc wasnt planned till late in the game development life. Maybe around august or september the started looking or finalizing it. Hence why i feel spirits dont kill dlc chances.
They also might've moved pplant to dlc because joker wasnt close to being donw and they wanted something to hold off pepole in the meantime.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Somewhat. That list thing was debunked by the creators of Joker because they said it was Sakurai's love for the character that led to him being pick. Not that Nintendo gave any list. All DLC fighters are personally chosen by Mr. Sakurai himself.
Well Sakurai's love for a character alone doesn't debunk the existence of a list, which I think Sakurai himself said existed.

He could've been given a list and a character he loved happened to be on there...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
More information about Shantae 5 at E3 seems possible with her 17 anniversary.

Also, here is a Shantae Artwork for tonight. Left it as a link since I couldn't get the picture up.
Artist: JamoART
Shantae Artwork
WayForward ain't showing up at E3 so we are not getting any Shantae 5 news anytime soon. :cry:

And all the votes she got in the Ballot. I remember seeing her face on fanart everywhere on Miiverse during the Smash Ballot. Shantae and K. Rool was the characters I saw with the most fanart on Miiverse during that time.

Am I wrong?
You're right, he said that after the game launched so all the Season Pass fighters were not set in stone before the game come out.

Dukefire

Smash Master
WayForward ain't showing up at E3 so we are not getting any Shantae 5 news anytime soon. :cry:

And all the votes she got in the Ballot. I remember seeing her face on fanart everywhere on Miiverse during the Smash Ballot. Shantae and K. Rool was the characters I saw with the most fanart on Miiverse during that time.

You're right, he said that after the game launched so all the Season Pass fighters were not set in stone before the game come out.
Just because WF is not there to show the project doesn't mean there is still a possibility for Shantae 5 to have a preview at E3.

Keep in mind WF still has two projects on their plate with Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night almost done to be released this month.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Yeah.
I mean back when he said that the DLC line-up is completely, he also said that the selection was made by Nintendo.

Are you all saying he lied?

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Well Sakurai's love for a character alone doesn't debunk the existence of a list, which I think Sakurai himself said existed.

He could've been given a list and a character he loved happened to be on there...
Or Nintendo could have trusted Sakurai to choose the characters that will create hype for and sell this Fighters Pass. Remember this is the same man that makes Nintendo millions of dollars from this one franchise alone. I think Mr. Sakurai has earned the trust to be able to have free reign on who is going to be in the game.

Yeah.
I mean back when he said that the DLC line-up is completely, he also said that the selection was made by Nintendo.

Are you all saying he lied?
Not lie but exaggerated the truth a bit lol.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
No one knows who picked the characters, Sakurai, Nintendo, Reggie, Doug Bowser's Mario Bros dolls, whatever. I don't see what the point is of discussing this now, when it's been done to death at this point.

I wish Sakurai had a better translator that conveyed his points more clearly...

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
No one knows who picked the characters, Sakurai, Nintendo, Reggie, Doug Bowser's Mario Bros dolls, whatever. I don't see what the point is of discussing this now, when it's been done to death at this point.

I wish Sakurai had a better translator that conveyed his points more clearly...
So you're saying the post is mistranslated? o_O

Well, right now, according to Sakurai's tweet, Nintendo gave him a selection of characters to use for DLC.
So why can't the man himself be believed here?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Well, right now, according to Sakurai's tweet, Nintendo gave him a selection of characters to use for DLC.
Because no one can grasp the true form of his attack, apparently. No one can figure out the exact nature of the "character selection"

Seriously though, these debates have become beyond inane at this point. I wish E3 was happening already so that we can leave this nonsense behind us. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
It's been told countless times that Nintendo made a list that Sakurai chose 5 characters from.

Because people tend to twist stuff to their advantage no matter what.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

According to an interview with atlus, they said sakurai came to them for joker in smash because he loved the game. So it's easy to think that the tweet maybe wasnt entirely true.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
It's been told countless times that Nintendo made a list that Sakurai chose 5 characters from.

Because people tend to twist stuff to their advantage no matter what.
According to an interview with atlus, they said sakurai came to them for joker in smash because he loved the game. So it's easy to think that the tweet maybe wasnt entirely true.
There. Nowhere does it say it was a list, just "selection".
Honestly, I want to see proof, that clearly proves Sakurai's words wrong.
Otherwise, I see no reason to accuse Sakurai of lying or twisting words.

Top Bottom