• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Good to know.

And honestly, I fail to see how either Giygas or Porky would work as character.
Giygas I could see, if it were his incarnation from the first Mother-Game.
But otherwise...
All they really have to do for Porky is shrink his mech a bit; his mech in Mother 3 isn't even nearly as big as it is in Brawl to begin with. They could also go with the EarthBound mech or have him on foot but I dunno what'd they do. I'd imagine him using explosives, PSI power shield and whatnot.

and yeah Giygas would be in his Mother form.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
All they really have to do for Porky is shrink his mech a bit; his mech in Mother 3 isn't even nearly as big as it is in Brawl to begin with. They could also go with the EarthBound mech or have him on foot but I dunno what'd they do. I'd imagine him using explosives, PSI power shield and whatnot.

and yeah Giygas would be in his Mother form.
You mean Giegue.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
You mean Giegue.
Giegue was a botched translation. Just like Aeris.
Giygas is his properly localized name.

And yes the alien from Mother 1 and the red, swirly "WTF is that?" from Mother 2 are the exact same character.

To say something Shantae-related: How are things going on WayForward's side?
And what can we tell from their behavior about Shantae's chances? : 3

Dukefire

Smash Master
Giegue was a botched translation. Just like Aeris.
Giygas is his properly localized name.

And yes the alien from Mother 1 and the red, swirly "WTF is that?" from Mother 2 are the exact same character.

Not much from them other then WF not appearing at E3.

Also, 13 Days Remaining to E3. Speculations and Hype are just going to go faster now with no turning back.
Screenshot_20190523-170746_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20190529-223721_YouTube.jpg

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
They aren't going to acknowledge anything about Shantae for Smash at this point because anything they might imply about it would likely result in a loss of support.

Dukefire

Smash Master
They aren't going to acknowledge anything about Shantae for Smash at this point because anything they might imply about it would likely result in a loss of support.
Especially with people having to support the hot topic character(s).
Screenshot_20190530-001717_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20190530-001751_Google.jpg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I get Banjo-Kazooie.

But... who are these Dragonball-lookalikes?
Erdrick is from Dragon Quest, their legacy's noteworthy enough for them to be mentioned in several installments, their source game is the most popular in the series in Japan, Sakurai is said on record to like that game, Tansut and Verge have supposedly heard of them in a leak, etc, etc.

So far, everyone and their mother thinks that everything lines up and that Erdrick is the SE rep. So far...

Not much from them other then WF not appearing at E3.

Also, 13 Days Remaining to E3. Speculations and Hype are just going to go faster now with no turning back.
View attachment 224971
View attachment 224970
I'mma add this:

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Erdrick is from Dragon Quest, their legacy's noteworthy enough for them to be mentioned in several installments, their source game is the most popular in the series in Japan, Sakurai is said on record to like that game, Tansut and Verge have supposedly heard of them in a leak, etc, etc.

So far, everyone and their mother thinks that everything lines up and that Erdrick is the SE rep. So far...
Two of the faces of the 9th highest selling game franchise of all time.
Never heard of em...

Also, can we please stop talking about "leaks"?
I'm getting real sick of hearing that word...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Never heard of em...

Also, can we please stop talking about "leaks"?
I'm getting real sick of hearing that word...
You probably haven't heard of them because the Dragon Quest franchise is quite niche over here in the west while in Japan it's probably even bigger than The Legend of Zelda for them. Most of that series sales comes from Japan, so it kind of makes sense you haven't heard of them unless you were really into RPGs because Dragon Quest is the grandfather of the RPG genre.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
When it comes to "Square RPGs", people here generally think of "Final Fantasy", "Kingdom Hearts" and "Chrono Trigger".
And, if you count it, "Super Mario RPG".

Dragon Quest I never heard of before.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
When it comes to "Square RPGs", people here generally think of "Final Fantasy", "Kingdom Hearts" and "Chrono Trigger".
And, if you count it, "Super Mario RPG".

Dragon Quest I never heard of before.
This I find hard to believe. It's one thing to not be familiar with most elements of the franchise, but Nintendo Power frequently covered Dragon Quest games and websites are quick to review and cover them as well even if they ultimately don't sell nearly as well as in Japan.

Ever hear of Fortune Street, a Monopoly-like board game that is also a crossover between Dragon Quest and Super Mario?

Dukefire

Smash Master
I do want to add that Erdrick is requested since it might be the closest to getting Goku in Smash Bros, Appearence wise.

Also, here is a Shantae Artwork for today.
Artist: Nekoiichi
20190527___shantae_hair_whip_by_nekoiichi-dd7ydqg.png

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
This I find hard to believe. It's one thing to not be familiar with most elements of the franchise, but Nintendo Power frequently covered Dragon Quest games and websites are quick to review and cover them as well even if they ultimately don't sell nearly as well as in Japan.
Nintendo Power was US-exclusive.
So I wouldn't know what they'd cover...

As for review-websites...
Well, I don't follow any. Don't trust em.

I was just going by general talk among people, both on the net and locally IRL.
And whenever they talk about Square RPGs, the names that come up were the ones I mentioned above.
But I never heard about Dragon Quest.

Ever hear of Fortune Street, a Monopoly-like board game that is also a crossover between Dragon Quest and Super Mario?
Only saw it once on PBGs Gameplay-Channel, as well as some minor advertisements in local stores.
And even then, the ads only featured Mario-Characters.
So I always figured it was kind of a "Mario Party" spin-off.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So Shantae fans, hear me out.

A friend of mines is planning to do a stream of Shantae Pirate's Curse this weekend and I was wondering how many of you would be interested in watching it when it happens.

Bonus points if you want to be a part of the stream's commentary through voice chat. He's low on Shantae fans to do commentary and he was wondering if any of you would like to help out.

Quidohmi

Smash Apprentice
So Shantae fans, hear me out.

A friend of mines is planning to do a stream of Shantae Pirate's Curse this weekend and I was wondering how many of you would be interested in watching it when it happens.

Bonus points if you want to be a part of the stream's commentary through voice chat. He's low on Shantae fans to do commentary and he was wondering if any of you would like to help out.
I might be able to. Not the voice chat thing but I would still comment and stuff. Will it be on Twitch or what?

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
Nintendo Power was US-exclusive.
So I wouldn't know what they'd cover...

As for review-websites...
Well, I don't follow any. Don't trust em.

I was just going by general talk among people, both on the net and locally IRL.
And whenever they talk about Square RPGs, the names that come up were the ones I mentioned above.
But I never heard about Dragon Quest.

Only saw it once on PBGs Gameplay-Channel, as well as some minor advertisements in local stores.
And even then, the ads only featured Mario-Characters.
So I always figured it was kind of a "Mario Party" spin-off.
Yeah... Fortune Street... I forgot about that game. Definitely not a good example for any DQ games.

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
Yeah... Fortune Street... I forgot about that game. Definitely not a good example for any DQ games.
Oh yeah, this game. I have a funny story about this darn game. I think I got this game for Easter or something, but apparently some friends of mine got super into playing it. Like it got so bad they went over to my place without me even knowing just to play it for hours. I soon after sold it off cause I was getting tired of them only wanting to come over and play the stupid thing.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Not much, but Smash Ultimate got another update version 3.1.0 for an addition to the VR Labo and Amiibo Journey.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Cadence Of Hyrule may have been pushed to June but we can still get a better look at it here: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ocked_in_for_june_release_new_footage_emerges

We still don't know if it's level-based like the original or truly a large overworld like real Zeldas, but either way it already looks a lot larger and more sprawling. Now what I wonder is what benefits Cadence herself will have compared to Link and Zelda.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Cadence Of Hyrule may have been pushed to June but we can still get a better look at it here: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ocked_in_for_june_release_new_footage_emerges

We still don't know if it's level-based like the original or truly a large overworld like real Zeldas, but either way it already looks a lot larger and more sprawling. Now what I wonder is what benefits Cadence herself will have compared to Link and Zelda.
Guess we will find out soon somewhere in June and E3 might give us more.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...s_ultimate_today_as_an_event-exclusive_spirit

Today, there's a spirit event starting, with the Peachette spirit only being accesssible via that until further notice. I guess we're not getting any character reveals until next month, at the earliest.

Just posting the vid for fun this time.
So from what I can tell, it's basically, the...
waifuboard.jpg
Waifu board?

if it's the waifu board then shouldn't the spirit they should be adding be Rottytops

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Friendly reminder that even if Shantae is a part of this event, it wouldn't have any bearing on a theoretical fighter spirit for her.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I don't think the spirit board has anything to do with the Character(s) reveal.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Okay, I want to share a rather humorous Shantae related thing that happened to me just now. So, a YouTuber I watch has Twitch streams every Saturday, with every other session being community voted. The last community vote featured HGH, as he had played every other Shantae game before it, but it also featured a Hat in Time due to the new DLC. Because he plays the Yakuza series for his channel and the new DLC had a reference to it, Hat in Time won by a landslide. Luckily, HGH is once again in the poll this week, being given a second chance by the request of the community. Unluckily, however, one of the options is Metal Gear Rising. So yeah, one of my favorite YouTubers playing Shantae has been meme blocked two times in a row for me(The poll is still going, but MGR is almost guaranteed to win). Metal Gear Rising will be fun to see though, I just hope that Shantae will be in another stream poll in the future.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Something for Shantae, there will be summer keychains at Anime Expo 19. If you are interested that is........
D72rZWdVsAAxcsf.jpeg

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
Hmm...I don’t know why but it seems like someone’s missing...
Yeah, weird that Bolo and his Mankini is missing. I thought that was pretty obvious though.

Oh a much more serious note, been drawing a lot more lately. Drew a pic of Shantae that's kinda iffy, to me at least. I'm kinda on the feeling of my skills aren't good enough to show off. But, maybe if people want me to draw more Shantae and show some of it... really should let me know.

Top Bottom