• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well with the rumor that only characters with very recent or upcoming games being DLC, we can now count Shantae in that crew.

Still a large pool to contend with, given how much stuff is coming to Switch, but it's still kicks any irrelevance arguments to the :4kirby:

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hey guys.... remember that leak LaxChris talked about with saying Shantae would be in smash and the leaker said a new shantae game was going to be revealed during the nindies as proof for his leak?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Hey guys.... remember that leak LaxChris talked about with saying Shantae would be in smash and the leaker said a new shantae game was going to be revealed during the nindies as proof for his leak?
Dont count it....but perhaps they assumed it would be during the nindies showcase but assumed it cause they KNEW of this new game?

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Yeah I remember that.....so that means that 5 minutes that was taken out must have been Shantae's game revealed along with her being the FIFTH DLC character!!!!!(tin foil hat activated!!!!!)

zferolie

Smash Hero
Dont count it....but perhaps they assumed it would be during the nindies showcase but assumed it cause they KNEW of this new game?
TINFOIL HAT TIME!

but yeah not getting excited over a laxchris leak. still, a man can dream

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
i know we are all hype. but lets be level headed about this. Don't trust any "Leaks"

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Man. MAN! These are exciting times. I mean, there is a lot of stuff this COULD mean, but I don;t even care because what it DOES mean is that we are getting a new game in less than a year. The new art style looks like a really nice balance between the cartoony HGH and the anime-ish PC

oh no dont tell me people are bringin out their foil hats again. :O
We made one for you as well Teeb.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
You know, this helps Shatntae's argument for already being a spirit too, since her current spirit is of a different design then what her "most recent" design will be. Further making her case that her spirit would be just as inoffensive as the other K Rool spirits where it is just him wearing different clothes.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
They finally gave the girl a character design that I can safely say that I'm perfectly happy with! This is perfect!

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I gotta say, I'm loving her new design! Now I'm just excited to see what Rotty's design is like. :p
They make it more realistic, with exposed muscle tisue and properly rotting flesh and the classic, exposed jaw with hole in cheek.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Shinuto was just playing. we know nothing ;)
But I'm pretty curious about the designs too
Dont insult his intelligence like that by assuming he thought I was being serious.

D

Deleted member

Hold up. Since I missed all of the persona talk a couple pages back...do you still believe that Jane is that girl from the p5r trailer or nah?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Dont insult his intelligence like that by assuming he thought I was being serious.
More a compliment to yo0u for being so convincing ;)

I hope they keep most of the overall designs relatively unchanged, I prefer white pants Sky and blue vest Bolo over what they had before.
I kinda wanna see them change them all a tiny bit. but just so that they look cool (and cute :D)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Can someone confirm if it looks significantly different than HGH?
(like i dunno, what if it's an apple arcade hgh port.)

And just for context, here's one of the comments about it:
"It was buried in a trailer on that Apple Arcade site WF linked to in the announcement tweet. "

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Can someone confirm if it looks significantly different than HGH?
(like i dunno, what if it's an apple arcade hgh port.)

And just for context, here's one of the comments about it:
"It was buried in a trailer on that Apple Arcade site WF linked to in the announcement tweet. "
the overall arrtstyle defintely looks like a revamp also screen looks bigger.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Is that really from the new game?
the overall arrtstyle defintely looks like a revamp also screen looks bigger.
It seems different, but not enough that im sure myself about it being shantae 5. (and like the eyes dont look like the new design)
If that's it, I was kinda hoping for a bit more different, but so long as the gameplay is fun that's goo enough :p like if they make it back more metroidvania.

Also, I liked finding this pic of shantae designs next to each other:

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Also, this confirms my suspicion that the series changes artstyle like one changes clothes. Only 1 and RR had the same artist. Also, took me a bit to notice her ponytail's shaped like a 5 on this key art...

I hope they keep most of the overall designs relatively unchanged, I prefer white pants Sky and blue vest Bolo over what they had before.
Rottytops' shtick clothing-wise is that she's never in style with the latest trends, so I think she'll be left as is.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So what transformations do you all hope to see? I want Dragon, or a Succubus or a tiger or a Naga.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Saw this.
Let's hope even more art comes out of this announcement!
Have to wonder, what's with the deep-sea backdrop?... Are they going to answer what happened to the genie lamp after Pirate's Curse? Or visit a mermaid kingdom?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So what transformations do you all hope to see? I want Dragon, or a Succubus or a tiger or a Naga.
Ain't most of those cut transformations?
Have to wonder, what's with the deep-sea backdrop?... Are they going to answer what happened to the genie lamp after Pirate's Curse? Or visit a mermaid kingdom?
Both are distinct possibilities. The lamp was alluded to in HGH if I recall correctly(Or maybe I am confusing PC stuff) and they could easily want to expand on the mermaids due to how popular the Giga Mermaid was.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Ain't most of those cut transformations?

Both are distinct possibilities. The lamp was alluded to in HGH if I recall correctly(Or maybe I am confusing PC stuff) and they could easily want to expand on the mermaids due to how popular the Giga Mermaid was.
I never found it clear if the Half-Genie Hero mermaids were of the saltwater kind like Sky mentioned or freshwater. Judging by how much more aggressive they were compared to past mermaids I guess it's the former.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
The only question is, will it be an Apple Exclusive and for how long.
Judging from the way it's worded, they're not being a bunch of dumb-dumbs like the people who sold their game's soul to Fortnite for a big sack of dosh on Epic's store and making it exclusive for an entire year at least.
the...tweet directly said Switch, PS4, Xbox One and PC.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Didn’t risky win to be the next shantae figure last year? This doesn’t make any sense. sky didn’t win so why is she next?
Maybe they realised that everyone loves blondes.

The only question is, will it be an Apple Exclusive and for how long.
Judging from the way it's worded, they're not being a bunch of dumb-dumbs like the people who sold their game's soul to Fortnite for a big sack of dosh on Epic's store and making it exclusive for an entire year at least.
After Cat Girl Without Salad being only being sold via the Humble Bundle for a limited time before disappearing forever, I think they know not to repeat that kind of mistake again. Then again, I am a bit concerned as to what'll happen to their properties that are currently on the 3DS.

That being said, it's interesting that they haven't backed down on the multi-plat approach yet, even though indies sell best on the Switch anyway.

Sometimes fake leakers predict things by accident without knowing it. Months ago, I vaguely recall that one of them put an announcement of Cuphead on the Switch in their list of fake announcements, and lo, it's actually happened.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I kinda wanna see them change them all a tiny bit. but just so that they look cool (and cute :D)
I just hope any changes aren’t too drastic. (Though I admit I have thought about Sky’s modern design having the sarong she wore in the first two games added over her pants, I wonder how that would look.)

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
While a new transformation or two is probably a given, I kind of hope we don't get too many and instead they add more utility to the staples.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
It seems different, but not enough that im sure myself about it being shantae 5. (and like the eyes dont look like the new design)
If that's it, I was kinda hoping for a bit more different, but so long as the gameplay is fun that's goo enough :p like if they make it back more metroidvania.

Also, I liked finding this pic of shantae designs next to each other:
I know it's a bit too early to judge but the art style in Shantae 5 is probably my favorite after Pirate's Curse.

Top Bottom