• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So as far as the Persona 5 Royal teaser, we don't actually know for sure that's a female Joker. She says something along the lines of, "I don't support the Phantom Thieves" (this is what I've heard, I don't know Japanese) which would be strange for Joker to say. Fans on the Persona 5 board at GameFAQs are speculating she could be a new confidant or antagonist. She does have a ponytail, though, which lines up with the datamine. But it could be just a coincidence.

We won't really know until we get more info. Personally, my heart skipped a beat when I opened this thread and saw "Female Joker confirmed," so yeah, I really, really want it to be the case. Damn it, Atlus, don't play with me like this.
We'd be lucky if the 24th doesn't end up being the third time we get an announcement of the upcoming P5 project...

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Because if she was, she wouldn't be saying anything negative regarding the Phantom Thieves, and she wouldn't look like this: P5R
She could just be a good liar(As I am pretty sure she is responding to Akechi). And what about her appearance makes her not qualify for FeMC?

D

Deleted member

She could just be a good liar(As I am pretty sure she is responding to Akechi). And what about her appearance makes her not qualify for FeMC?
Actually idk why I brought up appearances when talking about this.

Maybe I'm stupid or something idk. I've never played any Persona game.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Actually idk why I brought up appearances when talking about this.

Maybe I'm stupid or something idk. I've never played any Persona game.
this might give you a bit of reference:

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Meanwhile people assume a FeMC and Marie are the same character, despite the fact that they were separate in 4 Golden...

I guess whoever she ends up being, we'll never see it coming.
People are setting themselves up to be proven wrong by the universe here, at this rate, so that seems like a safe assessment.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Because if she was, she wouldn't be saying anything negative regarding the Phantom Thieves, and she wouldn't look like this: P5R
Well, you could both be right. This girl isn't Joker, but is the main character anyway with similar skills. Like :ultalph:.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if this was posted yet, but I'mma leave it here.

And this again, too. Maybe every few pages.

Edit: Nevermind due to a warning of alleged spamming. Hopefully enough people here have seen these and had a chance to vote for Shantae; I'm not allowed to share them in here anymore.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
What if Shantae got in and was top tier, like bayo Smash 4 levels before she had any patches?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I would rather not have her be despised like Bayo was.
Have a hard time seeing her reaching the same heights as Bayo without anything that hugely stands out or above the rest. Even if she did turn out extremely good it would most likely take a lot of effort to tap into her potential, not unlike Shulk or Pokemon Trainer.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I remember Bozon asking us to support Shantae for smash DLC and stuff like that at some point
And I'm pretty sure responding to any Shantae in Smash question would undermine that effort. They don't want fans getting complacent or lose hope. What we know about Wayforward is that they wholly and genuinely want to get her playable in Smash, and giving her a spirit role has done nothing to dissuade them. They know they have Nintendo's attention and it's likely the latter intends to keep the possibility open, a feeling recently solidified by the recent Cadence Of Hyrule.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And I'm pretty sure responding to any Shantae in Smash question would undermine that effort. They don't want fans getting complacent or lose hope. What we know about Wayforward is that they wholly and genuinely want to get her playable in Smash, and giving her a spirit role has done nothing to dissuade them. They know they have Nintendo's attention and it's likely the latter intends to keep the possibility open, a feeling recently solidified by the recent Cadence Of Hyrule.
If the 16 slots in WOL thing is true, that would help even further.

I would rather not have her be despised like Bayo was.
Why bother caring about tiers? Even for something like Rivals of Aether, no one's able to tell who's broken or not. You simply go with who you like.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, whatever happens, we might find out maybe on April with Joker's release or on E3 coming this summer.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Haven't played the game, so I have little to no Knowledge if I should say to agree or disagree on her joining smash.
Well, the game is basically Final Fantasy in all but name. I said it before, but if Agnes does happen and she has more stuff than Cloud it will look very weird for a company's spin-off to get more than it's main franchise.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Well, the game is basically Final Fantasy in all but name. I said it before, but if Agnes does happen and she has more stuff than Cloud it will look very weird for a company's spin-off to get more than it's main franchise.
I don't think it would look that weird. I mean, Bravely deserves to be represented more in a game celebrating all things Nintendo far more than FF7 does.

One has been Nintendo exclusive from the start and the other has been explicitly non-Nintendo for decades after it's initial release (not to mention that it was basically the poster boy for FF divorcing Nintendo)

Cloud is in the game and i accept that, but if Bravely got in and had double the content that FF7 had it wouldn't be an unfair slight by any means.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
So as far as the Persona 5 Royal teaser, we don't actually know for sure that's a female Joker. She says something along the lines of, "I don't support the Phantom Thieves" (this is what I've heard, I don't know Japanese) which would be strange for Joker to say. Fans on the Persona 5 board at GameFAQs are speculating she could be a new confidant or antagonist. She does have a ponytail, though, which lines up with the datamine. But it could be just a coincidence.
Not only that, but she's a first-year student to boot, heavily unlike Joker.
Has WayForward turned silent again about Shantae in smash ?
There's nothing to be suspicious of. She's already in Smash.

Last edited:

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
There's nothing to be suspicious of. She's already in Smash.
The suspicion that people are getting from WF is due to them blatantly avoiding any mentioning of Smash like it's the plague. Even when people mention being glad she's represented at all, they still ignore it entirely while continuing to respond to everything else.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
The suspicion that people are getting from WF is due to them blatantly avoiding any mentioning of Smash like it's the plague. Even when people mention being glad she's represented at all, they still ignore it entirely while continuing to respond to everything else.
That's what a lot of companies have done here or there. Whether or not characters are in Smash. Not to mention, there isn't really any reason fro them to respond.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
That's what a lot of companies have done here or there. Whether or not characters are in Smash. Not to mention, there isn't really any reason fro them to respond.
I mean, they aren't obligated to acknowledge anything at all. It's just that particular principle of not even giving those types of posts any Likes/"retweets" or anything.

It's strange, yes, but they have their reasons, and they don't need to say why.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Anyway the new female in P5R isn't a female Joker. The outfit she wears is from a school year different then that of Joker. So it's probably just a side story to the main game like Linkle was in Hyrule Warriors DE.

D

Deleted member

Anyway the new female in P5R isn't a female Joker. The outfit she wears is from a school year different then that of Joker. So it's probably just a side story to the main game like Linkle was in Hyrule Warriors DE.
That's what I've been saying

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I am just curious as to why her skill set is similar enough to Joker that it would allow her to be an alternate of him. And since she is seemingly talking to Akechi, she likely has some main story importance.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I am just curious as to why her skill set is similar enough to Joker that it would allow her to be an alternate of him. And since she is seemingly talking to Akechi, she likely has some main story importance.
Well there is that suggestion that maybe she's his sister from back home.
Really there's a lot other ways they could make her out to be like him too for whatever reason. Maybe she also has a fool arcana, who knows.

It's definitely not impossible for her to be the FeMC either, it just depends on how they changed the story around her. (and the conversation in the trailer may just be a conversation, not a revelation)

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
conversation
True, though I am curious how the sister thing came up. Do we know if Joker has a sister? And I imagine she would have the Jester rather than the Fool if she has that sort of arcana. I also agree that it is not impossible for her to still be the FeMC, though I am leaning on her becoming a FeMC down the line rather than you starting out as her.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
True, though I am curious how the sister thing came up. Do we know if Joker has a sister? And I imagine she would have the Jester rather than the Fool if she has that sort of arcana. I also agree that it is not impossible for her to still be the FeMC, though I am leaning on her becoming a FeMC down the line rather than you starting out as her.
I'm not farmiliar with the golden treatment, so im not sure what the jester arcana is for. :O

I think we know almost nothing about Ren's family, so it's pretty open to something like that. I'm leaning a bit away from a pure FeMC too, but I still think there's ways they could do it. Either way im sure she's important to the new version ;p

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'm not farmiliar with the golden treatment, so im not sure what the jester arcana is for. :O

I think we know almost nothing about Ren's family, so it's pretty open to something like that. I'm leaning a bit away from a pure FeMC too, but I still think there's ways they could do it. Either way im sure she's important to the new version ;p
It's the arcana Adachi was given in Golden.
There is two paths this aracan can go. By going through the game as normal and pursuing his link after he has revealed his true nature, it becomes Hunger. In order to max out Jester itself you need to cover for Adachi and work with him in destroying evidence, giving you the accomplice ending. Yes, that is a thing you can do in Golden. It's pretty f'ed up.
I will say, Jane looks nothing like Ren.

Top Bottom