• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Not posted here yet? k~
Considering Cloud's Fighter Spirit is only his Smash design, and I think Wii Fit Trainer as well, I feel his logic for why Spirits don't disconfirm Shantae should apply to all the other Spirit characters as well, especially since Shantae looks generally the same in her appearances anyway and they could rename her equip-able Spirit as well as others to include something like "(Game Title)."

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Not Shantae news, but we are getting a 7 minute Pokemon Direct tomorrow morning! I was prepared to only get a teaser glimpse and the Gen 8 game titles, but with 7 minutes even with pokemon's usual padding we should still get a few good minutes of details.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not Shantae news, but we are getting a 7 minute Pokemon Direct tomorrow morning! I was prepared to only get a teaser glimpse and the Gen 8 game titles, but with 7 minutes even with pokemon's usual padding we should still get a few good minutes of details.
The downside is that it starts airing right as my shift starts (seriously?), so if any surprises happen it'll be tricky to dodge the Internet not to be spoiled.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
The downside is that it starts airing right as my shift starts (seriously?), so if any surprises happen it'll be tricky to dodge the Internet not to be spoiled.
Sorry to hear that, hope you are able to dodge info until you get a chance to sit down and enjoy it. I'll make sure not to post anything hear without spoiler tags.

Also, this movie looks way better than it has any right to...

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty excited for Pokemon Day tomorrow! My guess for what they're gonna show off is the base starters as well as some new Pokemon for the starting areas. Other then that, probably some gameplay of sights and different locations around the region and of course the title drops. They wanna drip feed us info for the whole year so they won't show too much off I reckon. I just hope they don't go crazy and show off every Pokemon before the games come out. I want there to be mystery Pokemon, and I don't just mean legendary Pokemon that aren't the title ones.

And no way I'm gonna watch the direct when it airs, too early. Ah well.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, we are still in the Smash Ultimate news Drought for the Fighters Pass. So, everyone is still digging for clues or is just waiting for the next jackpot to appear.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
At any rate it probably won't even be a fighting game, since one of her earlier tweets suggests that she's doing VA work for a fan-made metal remix of Dancing Through the Danger (that's not by Gametal, either).
Whatever it ends up being, it'll probably end up in the next Shantae game anyway. Wayforward loves incorporating fan efforts and suggestions.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I'm pretty excited for Pokemon Day tomorrow! My guess for what they're gonna show off is the base starters as well as some new Pokemon for the starting areas. Other then that, probably some gameplay of sights and different locations around the region and of course the title drops. They wanna drip feed us info for the whole year so they won't show too much off I reckon. I just hope they don't go crazy and show off every Pokemon before the games come out. I want there to be mystery Pokemon, and I don't just mean legendary Pokemon that aren't the title ones.

And no way I'm gonna watch the direct when it airs, too early. Ah well.
Well, they teased three pokeballs, so we are definitely seeing the starters. We will get a title an name of the region, a little gameplay with scenes that give us an idea of what real world nation it is based off of, and maybe a few early game mons. Other than that we might meet the new professor, will probably see silhouettes of the box legendaries, might see some grunts from the evil team (but no team reveal) and I bet whatever trailer we get will end with the trainer activating their mega stone, but we won't see which pokemon is mega evolving.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, they teased three pokeballs, so we are definitely seeing the starters. We will get a title an name of the region, a little gameplay with scenes that give us an idea of what real world nation it is based off of, and maybe a few early game mons. Other than that we might meet the new professor, will probably see silhouettes of the box legendaries, might see some grunts from the evil team (but no team reveal) and I bet whatever trailer we get will end with the trainer activating their mega stone, but we won't see which pokemon is mega evolving.
I heard rumors from a friend a while ago that gameplay would take an Action RPG slant. I doubt the new changes will be that drastic, so I guess we'll find out in a few hours.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Not posted here yet? k~
The fact that you could choose your gender in the Smash Ballot and Shantae being like the most wanted female character makes me believe she has a chance to be in the Season Pass or the next one if there is one. Of course Bayonetta was chosen from the Ballot, but K. Rool, Ridley, and the Belmonts were chosen from the Ballot as well and they are all characters that would cater more to the male audience. There is no reason Sakurai would have had that gender option unless he planned to add newcomers in Ultimate chosen from the Ballot that would cater to both the male and female audience. I think another female from the Ballot will be chosen, and that female will be Shantae if I'm right.

Sorry to hear that, hope you are able to dodge info until you get a chance to sit down and enjoy it. I'll make sure not to post anything hear without spoiler tags.

Also, this movie looks way better than it has any right to...
Holy ****! Mewtwo at 2:03.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
The New Core Pokemon Game preview is here.

Would you pick a Sword or Shield?

It always depends on what kind of exclusives each has, but I usually get the "blue" equivalent so I will most likely get Sword.

As for the starters. Grookey looks like it will evolve into a cave man thanks to it hitting things with it's stick and having it's hair tied up like a caveman with a bone in it's hair. As such I could see it being Grass/Rock or Grass/Fighting. Tho I could see it also becoming a samurai (the stock being a kendo sword and it's hair being a top knot) if that's the case, then grass/steel.

Scorbunny REALLY looks like it will become Fire/Fighting thanks to the store above it's nose that looks like a bandage and the stripe I've it's looking like a headband.

Sobble currently looks to be a chameleon, with it's curled tail, front hands and ability to camouflage, but it's slim design and the fins on its head make me think it could be based on the basilisk lizard (the ones that can run across the water for a while) However, it being timid, liking to hide and the region being based on the UK makes me think it could evolve into a loch Ness type monster, which could end up being water/dragon, water/psychic or water/ghost.

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
It always depends on what kind of exclusives each has, but I usually get the "blue" equivalent so I will most likely get Sword.

As for the starters. Grookey looks like it will evolve into a cave man thanks to it hitting things with it's stick and having it's hair tied up like a caveman with a bone in it's hair. As such I could see it being Grass/Rock or Grass/Fighting. Tho I could see it also becoming a samurai (the stock being a kendo sword and it's hair being a top knot) if that's the case, then grass/steel.

Scorbunny REALLY looks like it will become Fire/Fighting thanks to the store above it's nose that looks like a bandage and the stripe I've it's looking like a headband.

Sobble currently looks to be a chameleon, with it's curled tail, front hands and ability to camouflage, but it's slim design and the fins on its head make me think it could be based on the basilisk lizard (the ones that can run across the water for a while) However, it being timid, liking to hide and the region being based on the UK makes me think it could evolve into a loch Ness type monster, which could end up being water/dragon, water/psychic or water/ghost.
From just what we've seen here, even if the rabbit turns into a Fire/Fighting I think I'll still pick it first. Not that the other ones look bad, and honestly the thought of the water one turning into a Loch Ness like pokemon seems really cool to me. Or maybe that could be a legendary? Also Ape man since I like monkeys but my sister doesn't. This region might not be the open world I've been wanting, but heck it still looks great. Until I play it and I change my mind, but yeah.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The New Core Pokemon Game preview is here.

Would you pick a Sword or Shield?

The fact that Scorbunny is literally a shonen protag in the form of a rabbit is so adorable. Between him and Sobble, another gen where I can't tell which of the starters I like more (and one I'm not that interested in out of the three).

The fact that you could choose your gender in the Smash Ballot and Shantae being like the most wanted female character makes me believe she has a chance to be in the Season Pass or the next one if there is one. Of course Bayonetta was chosen from the Ballot, but K. Rool, Ridley, and the Belmonts were chosen from the Ballot as well and they are all characters that would cater more to the male audience. There is no reason Sakurai would have had that gender option unless he planned to add newcomers in Ultimate chosen from the Ballot that would cater to both the male and female audience. I think another female from the Ballot will be chosen, and that female will be Shantae if I'm right.

Holy ****! Mewtwo at 2:03.
The last thing we need is more men having placed their choices in the ballot than women, if that turns out to be the case that'll be another point for the "Shantae's only wanted by horny males" detractors. In the meantime, all that can be done is praying.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The fact that Scorbunny is literally a shonen protag in the form of a rabbit is so adorable. Between him and Sobble, another gen where I can't tell which of the starters I like more (and one I'm not that interested in out of the three).

The last thing we need is more men having placed their choices in the ballot than women, if that turns out to be the case that'll be another point for the "Shantae's only wanted by horny males" detractors. In the meantime, all that can be done is praying.
I still think Sakurai strongly counted the female votes into consideration though. Like I said, why else was that a option?

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I still think Sakurai strongly counted the female votes into consideration though. Like I said, why else was that a option?
It's a common thing that surveys do for data. It doesn't necessarily mean it will always factor. And I doubt that such alone dictates what gender of playable characters we'll get. Besides, this assumes that the majority who asked for Shantae were girls anyway.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

The name Sobble implies shooting liquid from it's eyes ("sob" being a word for crying), like the pygmy horned lizard does with blood.

It's probably one of those designs that hybrids several species.

Also, Sword & Shield... like I needed more prompting for my dream of seeing Pokemon and Monster Hunter cross over. But where does Aegislash fit in all this?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
The name Sobble implies shooting liquid from it's eyes ("sob" being a word for crying), like the pygmy horned lizard does with blood.

It's probably one of those designs that hybrids several species.

Also, Sword & Shield... like I needed more prompting for my dream of seeing Pokemon and Monster Hunter cross over. But where does Aegislash fit in all this?
Monster hunter crossing over with pokemon sounds like a nightmare... All those poor carved up pokemon...

However Team Ninja has mentioned that with the success of Hyrule and FE Warriors they were interested in doing a Mario or Pokemon Warriors game. Pokemon Warriors would be awesome, mowing down fields of common things like zigzagoon and geodude, having more important mons being the generals and some of the big legends acting like the boss monsters from Hyrule warriors... If only it would happen and we could have a playable Luxray...

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Monster hunter crossing over with pokemon sounds like a nightmare... All those poor carved up pokemon...

However Team Ninja has mentioned that with the success of Hyrule and FE Warriors they were interested in doing a Mario or Pokemon Warriors game. Pokemon Warriors would be awesome, mowing down fields of common things like zigzagoon and geodude, having more important mons being the generals and some of the big legends acting like the boss monsters from Hyrule warriors... If only it would happen and we could have a playable Luxray...
I was thinking more of a crossover in something like Pokken. Or Stories, which is more Pokemon-like than the main Monster Hunter entries in a lot of ways.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
I still believe Bayonetta winning the ballot is incorrect, but I don't know for certain. I only recall something about her getting the most votes in England or whatever.
I'm also hoping the female gender choice wasn't given to Dark Samus, Daisy or Isabelle, since two of them are clones and one is a pseudoclone. In other words: hopefully, Shantae being the most popularly requested female character means something.
-------
As for Gen 8, I like to lean towards the least popular pick, which will not be Sword (because it's sword). So I will pick Shield, and probably Grookey.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I still believe Bayonetta winning the ballot is incorrect, but I don't know for certain. I only recall something about her getting the most votes in England or whatever.
I still believe K. Rool won the Ballot due to the massive support he got because of us Kutthroats, how much his face was shown on the pictures on the mode screens, and being in the WOL intro right behind Mario and Link in the crowd no less.

I'm also hoping the female gender choice wasn't given to Dark Samus, Daisy or Isabelle, since two of them are clones and one is a pseudoclone. In other words: hopefully, Shantae being the most popularly requested female character means something.
I believe they were Ballot picks as well. Not Isabelle of course, but Dark Samus and Daisy. But the thing is though Richter, Chrom, and Ken are all Echos that might have been chosen from the Ballot as well. So if we go by this theory excluding :ultinkling:, :ultisabelle:, and :ultincineroar:, we have 3 unique males chosen from the Ballot which are :ultridley:, :ultkrool:, and :ultsimon:. 3 Echo males chosen from the Ballot, which are :ultrichter:, :ultchrom:, and :ultken:. 1 unique female chosen from the Ballot, which is :ultbayonetta: and 2 female Echos which are :ultdaisy: and :ultdarksamus:.

So if this is true, this doesn't sound balanced for all the Ballot voters on both sides of the gender pool am I right? 6 males and 3 females, half of the males being unique while the females only get one unique. 2 unique females Ballot picks being in the Season Pass would sound like that would perfectly balance it all out for everybody right?
Also, while I don't think :ultbayonetta: won the Ballot, I do think she was chosen from the Ballot and was advertised to be claimed as the winner. I believe they saved the bigger fishes like :ultridley:, :ultkrool:, and :ultsimon: for Ultimate on the bigger more successful console.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't get gender representation arguments. There are more male characters because there are just plain more notable male characters in video games than females, especially in the older days. Plain and simple.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I don't get gender representation arguments. There are more male characters because there are just plain more notable male characters in video games than females, especially in the older days. Plain and simple.
There is always got to be people that brings it up to stir things.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There is always got to be people that brings it up to stir things.
I just want Ms. Pac-Man to get in because she is iconic/I like her, not because she's a girl for balancing things out.

Wanting ladies just to meet a quota is unhealthy, especially if they don't bring anything to the table moveset wise.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Bayonetta got number 1 in Europe and top 5 in the US. It's silly to act like this isn't true. She wasn't necessarily chosen for Smash due to the ballot. She's still a one of the many winners.

Not that there is a "ballot winner". Unless you mean there was more than one. King K. Rool, Simon, Richter, Ridley are all ballot winners. Because the entire point of the ballot was to get ideas for multiple playable characters. Not just one. It was even stated the ideas would be used for future games, which literally happened. Chrom and Dark Samus were probably chosen due to the ballot too, if that's what Sakurai meant by "heavily requested by fans", the same way he described Ridley after noting the ballot was an influence of how the dragon got in.

There's still this misconception there was only going to be one winner. That's not factually true and never will be. There was no "true winner". That's misinformation and misses the point entirely. There's also a reasonable chance Bayonetta did do better than King K. Rool, since there's literally zero knowledge we have of Rool's actual votes, while we have 2/3rds of Bayonetta's official ballot stats. She scored very very high in two regions. How high she scored in Japan is hard to say, but it's probably top 20 at the minimum.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Bayonetta got number 1 in Europe and top 5 in the US. It's silly to act like this isn't true. She wasn't necessarily chosen for Smash due to the ballot. She's still a one of the many winners.

Not that there is a "ballot winner". Unless you mean there was more than one. King K. Rool, Simon, Richter, Ridley are all ballot winners. Because the entire point of the ballot was to get ideas for multiple playable characters. Not just one. It was even stated the ideas would be used for future games, which literally happened. Chrom and Dark Samus were probably chosen due to the ballot too, if that's what Sakurai meant by "heavily requested by fans", the same way he described Ridley after noting the ballot was an influence of how the dragon got in.

There's still this misconception there was only going to be one winner. That's not factually true and never will be. There was no "true winner". That's misinformation and misses the point entirely. There's also a reasonable chance Bayonetta did do better than King K. Rool, since there's literally zero knowledge we have of Rool's actual votes, while we have 2/3rds of Bayonetta's official ballot stats. She scored very very high in two regions. How high she scored in Japan is hard to say, but it's probably top 20 at the minimum.
I think the thing is that we have no idea how big the silent majority is. I have seen Bayonetta rarely brought up in Deviantart art, threads, etc when it came to character campaigns.

That being said, I'm of the belief that the ballot isn't seen as a competition in Japan, it's just yet another official character poll. So given that other countries never had a ballot before, we're not used to being given a chance to plug for our characters so directly, so naturally craziness ensued.

Dukefire

Smash Master
The pace is at a unstable level, but we are currently slow as with the rest of the fans and their character(s) picks. It will pick up again once April Arrives, till then it's waiting time.

Also, Welcome to March Everyone. (Not everyone yet depending on your zone.)

Here is a Shantae Art for today.

Artist: JaysonBlade

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The pace is at a unstable level, but we are currently slow as with the rest of the fans and their character(s) picks. It will pick up again once April Arrives, till then it's waiting time.

Also, Welcome to March Everyone. (Not everyone yet depending on your zone.)

Here is a Shantae Art for today.

Artist: JaysonBlade
Nice outfit, where's that from?

Also, at least it won't be too long before Crafted World drops, only 28 days away.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think the thing is that we have no idea how big the silent majority is. I have seen Bayonetta rarely brought up in Deviantart art, threads, etc when it came to character campaigns.

That being said, I'm of the belief that the ballot isn't seen as a competition in Japan, it's just yet another official character poll. So given that other countries never had a ballot before, we're not used to being given a chance to plug for our characters so directly, so naturally craziness ensued.

It's not even a "poll". It's just a suggestion box. Polls have specific character(or other tangible) choices. At most you would fill out something like your e-mail/name/age/gender/etc. But it already tells you specifically what the options are. Here the options were "list your own ideas entirely" instead.

The whole point of it was to gather suggestions for characters to add into Smash in itself. It never served any real purpose beyond that. It probably influenced many non-playable roles too, though we only have a hint of that with the idea that King K. Rool's Mii Costume was a consolation prize for his ballot presence. I don't know if it was implied or literally said either. I forget which.

Japan had more clear information by directly saying "it'll be used for future Smash games" that wasn't on the international website versions. Which it should've been more clear, but it's no surprise people mistook its purpose. It's kind of hard to know when it's translated incorrectly and all. Regardless, the ballot is a suggestion box through and through. And it's a great thing that gave Sakurai more information on what a ton of the fanbase wants, even for one-off suggestions.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

I can assure you that the Smash Ballot in Japan was NOT a competition in the slightest, but a suggestion box. A friend of mine (who used to be on SB, but recently left) explained that the English translation of the JP Smash Ballot even says that the Smash Ballot was never meant to be 'most votes wins thing', but moreso 'Who do you want to see in Smash, and we'll see if we can make it happen' thing.

Dukefire

Smash Master
The future is a unknown path that no people can predict even with their best efforts to see it.

Which can lead up to disappointment if results are wrong and one can't accept their guesses are incorrect.

This King Crimson Image can explain of the predictions not going in one's favor.
Screenshot_20190301-173634_YouTube.jpg

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I can assure you that the Smash Ballot in Japan was NOT a competition in the slightest, but a suggestion box. A friend of mine (who used to be on SB, but recently left) explained that the English translation of the JP Smash Ballot even says that the Smash Ballot was never meant to be 'most votes wins thing', but moreso 'Who do you want to see in Smash, and we'll see if we can make it happen' thing.
This kind of info makes me more confident in seeing Shantae in Smash at some point. It's just a matter of time, especially if support remains consistent.

Here's a thought: what if the new fighters, in addition to bringing spirits from their own series, also added a few more to existing ones if the fighter fits? Say, Sharha from Sonic & the Secret Rings with Shantae as the puppet.

Top Bottom