• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's not even a "poll". It's just a suggestion box. Polls have specific character(or other tangible) choices. At most you would fill out something like your e-mail/name/age/gender/etc. But it already tells you specifically what the options are. Here the options were "list your own ideas entirely" instead.

The whole point of it was to gather suggestions for characters to add into Smash in itself. It never served any real purpose beyond that. It probably influenced many non-playable roles too, though we only have a hint of that with the idea that King K. Rool's Mii Costume was a consolation prize for his ballot presence. I don't know if it was implied or literally said either. I forget which.

Japan had more clear information by directly saying "it'll be used for future Smash games" that wasn't on the international website versions. Which it should've been more clear, but it's no surprise people mistook its purpose. It's kind of hard to know when it's translated incorrectly and all. Regardless, the ballot is a suggestion box through and through. And it's a great thing that gave Sakurai more information on what a ton of the fanbase wants, even for one-off suggestions.
I can assure you that the Smash Ballot in Japan was NOT a competition in the slightest, but a suggestion box. A friend of mine (who used to be on SB, but recently left) explained that the English translation of the JP Smash Ballot even says that the Smash Ballot was never meant to be 'most votes wins thing', but moreso 'Who do you want to see in Smash, and we'll see if we can make it happen' thing.
Exactly, a suggestion box. The fine print ought to have been more widespread, and not exclusive to Japan for no reason.

Though one thing for sure is, they got a lot more suggestions than before, when they were just limited to Japan. With all the suggestions people all around the world sent, I think the folks at Smash and Nintendo will have enough for filling at least three more future games in the series.

The future is a unknown path that no people can predict even with their best efforts to see it.

Which can lead up to disappointment if results are wrong and one can't accept their guesses are incorrect.

This King Crimson Image can explain of the predictions not going in one's favor.
View attachment 195537
Yup. I'm quite concerned as to how the Geno fanbase will react when this is done and over with...

It also represents a player trying to go through Holy Diver, but that's neither here nor there.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
This kind of info makes me more confident in seeing Shantae in Smash at some point. It's just a matter of time, especially if support remains consistent.

Here's a thought: what if the new fighters, in addition to bringing spirits from their own series, also added a few more to existing ones if the fighter fits? Say, Sharha from Sonic & the Secret Rings with Shantae as the puppet.
This would probably not happen but I think it’d be cool if some of the DLC characters appeared in the existing Classic Modes so Shantae could either replace or join Shiek for that section of Sonic’s Classic.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Alrighty guys, this is the last hurdle we better make a good case for if we’re gonna win over the skeptical and pessimistic fans. Reggie did state at the game awards last year that the new smash dlc characters would be ones that have never been in the series before, so a lot of fans claim that deconfirms not only AT but spirits as well. They say only character with absolutely no representation of any kind of content have their chance to make it in. What should be our counter argument to this, as I still firmly believe shantae is on her way into smash, just that it may take one or two more years.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Alrighty guys, this is the last hurdle we better make a good case for if we’re gonna win over the skeptical and pessimistic fans. Reggie did state at the game awards last year that the new smash dlc characters would be ones that have never been in the series before, so a lot of fans claim that deconfirms not only AT but spirits as well. They say only character with absolutely no representation of any kind of content have their chance to make it in. What should be our counter argument to this, as I still firmly believe shantae is on her way into smash, just that it may take one or two more years.
You can't win an argument based off of mere supposition, so don't even try. But I suppose you can always point at Ridley for an example of Sakurai being willing to overcome any and all obstacles to make things happen if that's what fans really want.

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
You can't win an argument based off of mere supposition, so don't even try. But I suppose you can always point at Ridley for an example of Sakurai being willing to overcome any and all obstacles to make things happen if that's what fans really want.
No, coz then the famous Shovel Knight Argument will be used.

Sunny-Zee

Smash Journeyman
Nothing new, but it's nice to see Shantae and Mummy Demastered listed shoulder-to-shoulder among the best metroidvanias on the Switch.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/03/feature_the_best_metroidvania_games_on_nintendo_switch
Ahhh, yes, Mummy Demastered, the best thing to come out of that botched shared universe starter. The premise was a better fit for a run-&-gun exploration game than an actual movie, all things considered... plus, it’s quite a testament to its quality to be mentioned as a good, standalone, MetroidVania.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Ahhh, yes, Mummy Demastered, the best thing to come out of that botched shared universe starter. The premise was a better fit for a run-&-gun exploration game than an actual movie, all things considered... plus, it’s quite a testament to its quality to be mentioned as a good, standalone, MetroidVania.
It doesn't hurt that Tom Cruise refuses to have his likeness in video games, so that made the whole process all the more easier.

With any luck, this article will get more people to try it out, since licensed games are WF's main breadmaker.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
It doesn't hurt that Tom Cruise refuses to have his likeness in video games, so that made the whole process all the more easier.

With any luck, this article will get more people to try it out, since licensed games are WF's main breadmaker.
I might try Mummy demastered someday after reading the article.

Also, Tom Cruise did license his likeness for exactly one video game.

Lego Dimensions. Voice clips are taken from the first Mission Impossible film.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Nothing new, but it's nice to see Shantae and Mummy Demastered listed shoulder-to-shoulder among the best metroidvanias on the Switch.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/03/feature_the_best_metroidvania_games_on_nintendo_switch
I would have put Pirate's Curse on that list myself. Half-Genie Hero is a great game... but not as a Metroidvania. As I've said before, I see it as more of a Mega Man game.

I'm actually playing through The Messenger right now. It certainly does a great job of hiding it's status. And I freaking love Iconoclasts for it's story: Agent Black is my favourite, yet tragic character of the bunch that has inspired ideas for an entire sequel starring her. And I'll just leave it at that.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I might try Mummy demastered someday after reading the article.

Also, Tom Cruise did license his likeness for exactly one video game.

Lego Dimensions. Voice clips are taken from the first Mission Impossible film.
I'd love to see his reasoning for that one...

I'm actually playing through The Messenger right now. It certainly does a great job of hiding it's status. And I freaking love Iconoclasts for it's story: Agent Black is my favourite, yet tragic character of the bunch that has inspired ideas for an entire sequel starring her. And I'll just leave it at that.
Thank goodness someone here acknowledges Iconoclasts, its creator is among the most ignored ones in the indie scene.

I might get the Messenger on Switch myself, assuming the PS4 port never comes to exist.

Overall, the list is nothing but hard-hitters, and I love it for that.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I’m not sure what the actual reason is, but I speculate that Lego is far less violent than the average M:I game so Cruise felt it was safe to have his likeness/audio in the game.
Well, it's moreso that Lego minifigs have fairly simple-looking faces, so it would be far more difficult to reproduce his likeness 1/1 by default anyway. :smirk:

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Thank goodness someone here acknowledges Iconoclasts, its creator is among the most ignored ones in the indie scene.

I might get the Messenger on Switch myself, assuming the PS4 port never comes to exist.

Overall, the list is nothing but hard-hitters, and I love it for that.
On one hand, that's just great for those games (and if all goes well, Bloodstained will join them)... on the other hand, I don't envy a potential 2D Metroid going up against all of that.

Honestly, I can't really remember what drew me to play my first game from Konjac, Noitu Love 2. Probably Wii U starvation. That was also true for Shantae, but at least that one was highly recommended by Nintendo Power... still goes to show how you can find happiness in the most unexpected of places.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On one hand, that's just great for those games (and if all goes well, Bloodstained will join them)... on the other hand, I don't envy a potential 2D Metroid going up against all of that.

Honestly, I can't really remember what drew me to play my first game from Konjac, Noitu Love 2. Probably Wii U starvation. That was also true for Shantae, but at least that one was highly recommended by Nintendo Power... still goes to show how you can find happiness in the most unexpected of places.
I will say it's a good thing NL2's multiplat, seeing as it's on the 3DS for the moment. Though that it and the failed Wii U have been where that game got the most attention in years is pretty telling in how much it was overlooked on the web. At least Iconoclasts didn't take nearly as long to get attention, despite the long dev cycle.

That aside, in fairness, Nintendo did allow the Nindies movement, so I imagine that they'd take it like a champ.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just saying and a reminder to everyone, don't go bonkers if the news isn't really what we were expecting when the time comes. Its not pretty and could end up making you and possibly others a laughing stock.

From TerminalMontage video Something about Super Smash Bros Ultimate World of Light
Screenshot_20190304-223320_YouTube.jpg

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
As longtime Universal Monster fan, I will say this: Everything wrong with that movie were all the things Tom Cruise demanded for him to agree to be a part of it. The original script which was supposed to give Cruises character and the Mummy equal screen time (plus subtracting of all the things Cruise insists on doing in all of his films) It's a real shame he had to come along and botch it all up because Sofia Boutella made for a great Mummy, but of course that alone couldn't save the film from Cruise meddling.

Also, our very own Cristina Vee worked adr in the movie. That's something at least.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
As longtime Universal Monster fan, I will say this: Everything wrong with that movie were all the things Tom Cruise demanded for him to agree to be a part of it. The original script which was supposed to give Cruises character and the Mummy equal screen time (plus subtracting of all the things Cruise insists on doing in all of his films) It's a real shame he had to come along and botch it all up because Sofia Boutella made for a great Mummy, but of course that alone couldn't save the film from Cruise meddling.

Also, our very own Cristina Vee worked adr in the movie. That's something at least.
WHAT?!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Just saying and a reminder to everyone, don't go bonkers if the news isn't really what we were expecting when the time comes. Its not pretty and could end up making you and possibly others a laughing stock.

From TerminalMontage video Something about Super Smash Bros Ultimate World of Light
View attachment 196096
Much obliged, though I think this advice would apply the most for the Geno and Banjo fans. And possibly Ninten/Porky fans.

I hope there's more than just a few people that can accept a failed chance.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
Question: Do we think Shantae could get a great deal of hype if she was announced? I've started replaying HGH and my Limited Run copy of PC is coming tomorrow. I love these games, but would she get a great deal of hype if she's announced.

I just want to get a conversation going. I don't have social media and smash boards was my go-to when I get bored and now there's nothing on it.

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
Question: Do we think Shantae could get a great deal of hype if she was announced? I've started replaying HGH and my Limited Run copy of PC is coming tomorrow. I love these games, but would she get a great deal of hype if she's announced.

I just want to get a conversation going. I don't have social media and smash boards was my go-to when I get bored and now there's nothing on it.
She probably wouldn't get as much hype as rayman or other spirits, but she would still get alot of hype. I imagine it would be like when shulk was reveled for smash 4.

Also I think that shantae news vee teased was actually related to indivisable.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

I think she would get some hype. She is one of the better known indie characters, as well as the fact that an indie getting in at all would get some big reactions.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Keep in mind that most eyes of attention has been diverted away from shantae since she is a spirit and might be staying that way in ultimate so far with what been going on.

Screenshot_20190305-111800_Video Player.jpg

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Keep in mind that most eyes of attention has been diverted away from shantae since she is a spirit and might be staying that way in ultimate so far with what been going on.

View attachment 196160
It's more of a polarizing effect this role has that doesn't sway many opinions, rather they double down. Detractors take this as further proof against Shantae, supporters are galvanized to campaign even harder when they see a result.

A notable yet nonchalant reveal puts her in the same spot that Rayman was in 4. Unlike in those days though, there's not as much worry about having to be extra selective with DLC thanks to a brighter future, and no competing with veterans either.

Dukefire

Smash Master
It's more of a polarizing effect this role has that doesn't sway many opinions, rather they double down. Detractors take this as further proof against Shantae, supporters are galvanized to campaign even harder when they see a result.

A notable yet nonchalant reveal puts her in the same spot that Rayman was in 4. Unlike in those days though, there's not as much worry about having to be extra selective with DLC thanks to a brighter future, and no competing with veterans either.
That's a good point. At least we still have time before the remaining 4 spots are filled in. Till then, enjoy that shantae and risky has a small part to the game.

Artist: Dragonith
SSBU_-_Spirits_by_Dragonith.png

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's a good point. At least we still have time before the remaining 4 spots are filled in. Till then, enjoy that shantae and risky has a small part to the game.

Artist: Dragonith
View attachment 196167
And whether further DLC gets announced after the last pass character is announced. THAT'S what I'm worried about. Also, I miss Dragonith doing Smash stuf...

By the way, since the International Women's Day is coming up later this week, are you guys going to plan anything regarding the half-genie hero?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
And whether further DLC gets announced after the last pass character is announced. THAT'S what I'm worried about. Also, I miss Dragonith doing Smash stuf...

By the way, since the International Women's Day is coming up later this week, are you guys going to plan anything regarding the half-genie hero?
Update 3.0.0 already implies bigger plans for the game beyond the fighter pass. The end of Smash 4 DLC felt like the beginning of the end of it's console; it'll feel really weird for Ultimate to end much sooner than that.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Update 3.0.0 already implies bigger plans for the game beyond the fighter pass. The end of Smash 4 DLC felt like the beginning of the end of it's console; it'll feel really weird for Ultimate to end much sooner than that.
Well, that's a good point. Right now, "no more DLC, the fighter pass is it" is a fan rule until further notice, when things like Fortnite and Diablo get a gorillion seasons, never mind DB Fighter Z having two.

If this update adds new modes, that'll be a definite sign that the hype train ride has just started.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Well, that's a good point. Right now, "no more DLC, the fighter pass is it" is a fan rule until further notice, when things like Fortnite and Diablo get a gorillion seasons, never mind DB Fighter Z having two.

If this update adds new modes, that'll be a definite sign that the hype train ride has just started.
The Switch just reached 2 years of age. Being very pessimistic, the Switch has 4 good years left (and lets be honest, it will probably have a much longer life than that) We likely aren't getting another Smash game on this platform, and we have already seen Nintendo low key updating other games on the Switch here and there (Labo in Mario Kart 8, sudden update to Captain Toad) I see no reason for them not to keep milking Smash Ultimate for quite a while.

This current years and some of 2020 will be for the Fighter Pass, but after that I'm sure they will want to keep adding new content to it. Virtually anything is possible this time around and there is no real reason to assume otherwise.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The Switch just reached 2 years of age. Being very pessimistic, the Switch has 4 good years left (and lets be honest, it will probably have a much longer life than that) We likely aren't getting another Smash game on this platform, and we have already seen Nintendo low key updating other games on the Switch here and there (Labo in Mario Kart 8, sudden update to Captain Toad) I see no reason for them not to keep milking Smash Ultimate for quite a while.

This current years and some of 2020 will be for the Fighter Pass, but after that I'm sure they will want to keep adding new content to it. Virtually anything is possible this time around and there is no real reason to assume otherwise.
It helps that people gave out plenty of suggestions during the fighter ballot, so Nintendo won't run out of options to pool from any time soon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom