• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
View attachment 187269
Everyday when you're walking down the stree-oh not that one?
He would be more hyped than Shrek lol!

People are going crazy for this scene from Travis Touchdown's latest game. Thinking this is a hint towards a certain game everyone loves. Do you think its true?

Holy ****! That's the best hint I have ever seen in a end credits scene for a video game. I wouldn't be hyped for the character, but **** did I have the chills watching that.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
People are going crazy for this scene from Travis Touchdown's latest game. Thinking this is a hint towards a certain game everyone loves. Do you think its true?

Seems more like a hint for a new No More Heroes game; there's nothing Smash-like at all. Apparently the character's creator also said he's not in Smash...?

Not that I'd really mind if he was in Smash, I just really want Steve/Creeper or B-K at least...

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

And here i thought this was another "Ultimate slumber party" situation by having a smash tease.

I was just about ready to say "I ain't falling for it this time!" And everything.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm pretty sure Suda already implied in an interview that Travis didn't make the cut. Seriously guys…

https://www.inverse.com/article/517...lation-travis-touchdown-no-more-heroes-update

The surprising decision to include a third-party character from a game not even on Nintendo Switch, combined with the news of an imminent announcement from No More Heroes developer Goichi Suda (also known by his nickname, Suda51), sparked rumors that series protagonist Travis Touchdown could be headed to Smash as well, but in a livestream presentation on Thursday morning, Suda51 was quick to confirm that the character won’t be coming to Smash Bros. Ultimate after all.
Also, funny thing is, he didn't need to worry about stealing Smash's thunder, seeing as TSA has been getting mixed reviews.

https://nintendosoup.com/suda51-tra...-wont-affect-super-smash-bros-ultimate-sales/

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I wish WayForward/Matt would already come out and say it if she wasnt in.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I kind would like to know some stuff like that. tho..
If there's another wave of dlc after the first year, she still has a chance if they havent already gotten that in the works.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
He kinda already unintentionally gave that away given the timing of when he tried to rally fan support for Shantae as DLC, likely after the DLC had already been decided on.

At least for Season 1 anyway.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
He did. I think it was the same time when people thinking Dante was in.
That was for base game speculation though, wasn't it? Though I guess it likely also applies to the first wave.

That aside, I struggle to see what Travis can really bring to the table that's special in Smash. The gameplay and humour in No More Heroes is designed more as a parody of other games, which means it borrows a lot from them with little in the way of innovation. Travis himself doesn't have much to offer other than being good with a sword, knowing some wrestling moves and riding a bike... all things there's no shortage of in Smash already, one way or the other.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
That was for base game speculation though, wasn't it? Though I guess it likely also applies to the first wave.

That aside, I struggle to see what Travis can really bring to the table that's special in Smash. The gameplay and humour in No More Heroes is designed more as a parody of other games, which means it borrows a lot from them with little in the way of innovation. Travis himself doesn't have much to offer other than being good with a sword, knowing some wrestling moves and riding a bike... all things there's no shortage of in Smash already, one way or the other.
Sword- pretty much a good chunk of the roster
Wrestling- Incinaroar has that covered
Bike- The scoundrel with a fart of gold fills that.

What does Travis have to offer that is different compared to the rest of the 75 characters in the roster?

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
We had a rich discussion on the possibilities of a Shantae RPG, both standalone and as a crossover. Because all the characters in the series are legitamately great and have loads of potential in interactions with the Nintendo cast thanks to the series's classic inspirations... another reason to keep hoping for Smash.
So Shantae becomes the Sora of Nintendo?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

What does Travis have to offer that is different compared to the rest of the 75 characters in the roster?
Don't forget Bowser and K. Rool have some wrestling moves of their own, and Jr.'s kart dash is another vehicle drive.

The most unique aspect of him are those super modes he sometimes gets when he finishes an enemy... but even most of those are just fancier ways of using his sword and/or are too powerful to be anything other than final smashes. The best one would be that tiger transformation in Desperate Struggle.

So Shantae becomes the Sora of Nintendo?
I mean she'd get a ton of fan art (not that there's any shortage of it these days, but the crossover ones would go up to eleven with a Smash reveal) and webcomics.

Currently Shantae is the one doing the guest-starring (Blaster Master Zero, Indivisible), but has been pretty conservative about it.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Don't forget Bowser and K. Rool have some wrestling moves of their own, and Jr.'s kart dash is another vehicle drive.

The most unique aspect of him are those super modes he sometimes gets when he finishes an enemy... but even most of those are just fancier ways of using his sword and/or are too powerful to be anything other than final smashes. The best one would be that tiger transformation in Desperate Struggle.

I mean she'd get a ton of fan art (not that there's any shortage of it these days, but the crossover ones would go up to eleven with a Smash reveal) and webcomics.

Currently Shantae is the one doing the guest-starring (Blaster Master Zero, Indivisible), but has been pretty conservative about it.
Don't forget about Runbow.
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Don't forget about Runbow.
View attachment 187373
Mutant Mudds too!

Anyway, finally got all the spirits in the game so I think i can take a break from Smash for a while. Time to dive into all the games i bought during the holiday eshop sales.

But as we wait for news, apparently Emily Rodgers has been talking about Nintendo releases in 2019. Anyone want to discuss that?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Mutant Mudds too!

Anyway, finally got all the spirits in the game so I think i can take a break from Smash for a while. Time to dive into all the games i bought during the holiday eshop sales.

But as we wait for news, apparently Emily Rodgers has been talking about Nintendo releases in 2019. Anyone want to discuss that?
Hm. Coincidentally (or not), all those guest appearances are in platformers, or at least have as a significant component of their gameplay. Indivisible is gonna be the first major departure in genre for Shantae (unless there's platforming in that game too).

We already know of a bunch of Nintendo releases in 2019: first Yoshi's Crafted World, then in no particular order, Fire Emblem: The Three Houses, Luigi's Mansion 3, the rumoured SNES Online app, Pokemon Gen 8 and if we're lucky, Metroid Prime 4 (at least it will probably be their big E3 game).

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I rather doubt that any of that is going to stop Suda from asking about Travis being added in, if he's unaware about Sakurai's criteria. Something tells me that people around him are too shy to tell him the truth.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I rather doubt that any of that is going to stop Suda from asking about Travis being added in, if he's unaware about Sakurai's criteria. Something tells me that people around him are too shy to tell him the truth.
well, things will reveal itself later down the road. We can only predict at this point of time and position as passengers.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I mean, I know those kinds of arguments are far from the best for determining viability (far too many good candidates would be passed if you just tried to avoid any and all sword wielders), it's just my two cents on how he wouldn't be too hype from a gameplay perspective.

But Sakurai has repeatedly proven able to make something from seemingly nothing.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean, I know those kinds of arguments are far from the best for determining viability (far too many good candidates would be passed if you just tried to avoid any and all sword wielders), it's just my two cents on how he wouldn't be too hype from a gameplay perspective.
That's fair. If nothing else, you can admire his determination; he's been openly wanting Travis to get in since the Wii days, and he still hasn't thrown the towel.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That's fair. If nothing else, you can admire his determination; he's been openly wanting Travis to get in since the Wii days, and he still hasn't thrown the towel.
I'd suggest he try to make No More Heroes's gameplay more distinct fom it's peers, instead of focusing on poking fun at them; as we've seen with games like Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts and Yooka-Laylee, relying on that kind of humour only goes so far. Spin-off or no, Travis Strikes Again is a perfect example of this and isn't exactly impressing those who actually play it that much.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd suggest he try to make No More Heroes's gameplay more distinct fom it's peers, instead of focusing on poking fun at them; as we've seen with games like Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts and Yooka-Laylee, relying on that kind of humour only goes so far. Spin-off or no, Travis Strikes Again is a perfect example of this and isn't exactly impressing those who actually play it that much.
Guacamelee 2 to me seems like a case of actually managing to balance humor and new features compared to those (and it's a Metroidvania focused on lucha libre to start with). Not to mention that A Hat In Time succeeded at least partially because it had a neat gimmick that actually worked gameplay wise.

Eccentric artistic auteur or not, if your game has nothing to make it stand out or the gameplay isn't fleshed out enough, no audience in the world will stick with it apart from a cult one. I heard that YIIK is also suffering from being a post-modern indie game that could have worked on its gameplay a little more, so this is happening more often than it should.

In any case, some of Suda's other series and games are more distinct in terms of gameplay. Killer 7, in particular, has an awesome gimmick in the 7 killers themselves, so if anything I'd try to promote those instead, seeing as he's wanting a remake of that game made. And honestly, who wouldn't want to be a sniper in a wheelchair?

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Have you guys seen this?

Oooooooh~

That looks fantastic!

In other news...yeah... college is really taking up all my time these days, and waiting for new Smash news is getting a bit dull. Im still definitely hoping for Shantae as one of the fighters in the pass, but I really wish they could give us some info a bit more often. Feels like the Ultimate hype has already ended and now we can only really wait for the DLC fighters to start being rolled out. At least there's Kingdom Hearts 3 to look forward to in just over a week.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
So I was digging through a bunch of my old drawings recently and I came across some old sketches I did of Shantae back during the Smash 4 DLC period, was in the mood to share them again:

AB879A57-39CD-4B02-ABD1-08C2D42C3874.jpeg

3B189CD5-355C-4FEC-B33F-3122FAFA7488.jpeg

6385BBBF-1620-47CD-9222-233EA5EF3D56.jpeg

Someone asked me to do this last one

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
So I was digging through a bunch of my old drawings recently and I came across some old sketches I did of Shantae back during the Smash 4 DLC period, was in the mood to share them again:

I wish I was half as good as you man, these are great.
I wanna draw some cool stuff to show people but my drawings are either just not good enough to me or with my better ones... just plain too NSFW.
Like I can't show those to people. I just can't.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I wanna draw some cool stuff to show people but my drawings are either just not good enough to me or with my better ones... just plain too NSFW.
I can’t help with the latter one, but if you have the drive to make your work better, just keep practicing and practicing. Also, don’t be afraid to show your work even if you don’t think it’s perfect, feedback from others can be pretty valuable.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Those are actually really great, I'm surprised you didn't share them before :O
I imagine them colored would look pretty awesome,

I can’t help with the latter one, but if you have the drive to make your work better, just keep practicing and practicing. Also, don’t be afraid to show your work even if you don’t think it’s perfect, feedback from others can be pretty valuable.
Yeah even 'crappy' drawings have their own charm. If I had more dedication I'd get better at it. But since that's not the case, mine are just charming. they are.. ok? (mostly stick figures unless i'd spend a lot of time) :/
:)

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Those are actually really great, I'm surprised you didn't share them before :O
I imagine them colored would look pretty awesome,

Yeah even 'crappy' drawings have their own charm. If I had more dedication I'd get better at it. But since that's not the case, mine are just charming. they are.. ok? :/
:)
Thank you! I shared them before on the Shantae Smash 4 thread and I just kinda rediscovered them tonight afte being buried under a ton of my other drawings, but yeah I definitely wouldn’t mind revisiting them like that sometime soon.

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
Practice makes perfect, I know if I keep it up everyday I should improve. I guess I just lack motivation plus I have a fear of showing things off.
To be perfectly honest here, every time I post something online I get really nervous. This has been the most I ever posted before.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Top Bottom