• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
She'll easily make headlines. The very first Indie Playable character in the biggest fighting game? thats gonna be HUGE news. It will show the world that indie game companies are just as important as the big ones. Not that I don't already feel that way, but this is a huge thing for all current and future game developers. That one day your own creation can be on the same stage as Mario, Link, and Sonic.
That'd be good there. We already have Shovel Knight making people's heads spins for showing up as an AT. In Nintendo's series featuring its stable of JP-made characters.

It mainly depends on whether the current DLC batch is successful enough to approve a Splatoon-esque support life. That's Shantae's best chance.

Last edited:

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
I still have hopes for her, due to indiepogo. The lowebros (developers) had a question deticated to weather or not shantae would be in the game that was very... general, and since the kickstarter for the game started while smash was in development, i doubt wayforward would turn down on offer to have shantae in a smash styled game unless she wasnt going to be playable.

Dukefire

Smash Master

What do you think this guy’s missing?
If its a Library, there has to be something of a special book or item to make it complete based on my judgement. Though I find it interesting for Wayforward posting this about the Librarian in Pirate's Curse

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I have no clue, but there sure is a lot of Smash comments in that tweet.
They know they're so close they can taste it. Like a zombie in someone's brain.

If its a Library, there has to be something of a special book or item to make it complete based on my judgement. Though I find it interesting for Wayforward posting this about the Librarian in Pirate's Curse
I'll tell you what he's missing...

The map that Shantae took and never got back from Risky.

Dukefire

Smash Master
They know they're so close they can taste it. Like a zombie in someone's brain.

I'll tell you what he's missing...

The map that Shantae took and never got back from Risky.
things like that comes and goes easily. It looks like the Librarian is saying for something more then just a map of the forbidden Islands

zferolie

Smash Hero
That'd be good there. We already have Shovel Knight making people's heads spins for showing up as an AT. In Nintendo's series featuring its stable of JP-made characters.

It mainly depends on whether the current DLC batch is successful enough to approve a Splatoon-esque support life. That's Shantae's best chance.
Thats why I said 20% in the RTC thread. i am not 100% sold she is in the first pack but can still happen. When we get a season 2 and/or 3(its happening) her chances go way up

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, whatever it is he's referring to (a new Shantae story or otherwise) we'll know sooner or later, there isn't much to go on from at all, so not much point being mentally exhausted over it. In the meantime, one thing to find out is whether Star Allies' latest update improves the game well enough with its new mode.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Well, whatever it is he's referring to (a new Shantae story or otherwise) we'll know sooner or later. In the meantime, one thing to figure out is whether Star Allies' latest update improves the game well enough with its new mode.
I hear it's kicking many people in the a**.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
things like that comes and goes easily. It looks like the Librarian is saying for something more then just a map of the forbidden Islands
I don't think something you hide in a globe is meant to be taken freely but OK. Maybe it's a book about Genies or their magic and how it works.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I hear it's kicking many people in the a**.
The bosses are no joke this time, Heroes in Another Dimension might be the hard mode for veteran players that wanted a challenge and I believe the hearts you collect might be crucial for something

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
Based on your description, and the little I've seen it really is just a Smash version of Libra of the Soul from Soul Calibur 6. Well, minus the OC and plus actual boss fights. Not that I was expecting any different, but with so many characters to unlock, I only hope it doesn't wear people down too fast.

Let me ask, if I may. You said it was long, but how long did it take to unlock every fighter versus how long the mode was in it's entirety?
For some reason my play time says 91 hours which is not true. I solely played Spirits mode and beating it and unlocking every character and fighting almost every enemie took I want to say around 15-20 hours and boy was it NOT fun to do it. I have a 97.2% completion so i missed a few enemies with the only fighter I missed was Richter, but I got him right after exiting Spirits since a fighter shows up after playing for a few minutes.

Probably because she buffs ''body'' attacks, which include the belly and hips. Unless they split that up from Brawl or my assumption is way off.

Stephano Stephano Did you ever find that Risky spirit?
If there is one, i don’t know. I have around 600 right now. I can show you guys some of them if you want.

I concluded my day with playing a match with my main man ganondorf hoping to smash people with my BA sword and wall of with backs airs and ganoncide..... Ganondorf is complete Dog S**t...... why.... why did they do this to the king of evil. They nerfed his best move, the up-air. Why Sakurai. FIX THIS!!!

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Stephano Stephano Umm...IMO, Ganondorf's ALWAYS been complete dog s**t. I've rarely ever had fun with him in Smash Bros. I've never been fond of slower, heavier Captain Falcon.

D

Deleted member

So what dose sakurai mean by “only purchase the DLC if you are confident in it's value"?

It’s all gonna be fe characters isn’t it?

Last edited by a moderator:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Time to play Kirby to get the Mage Sisters lol. Can't wait.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I concluded my day with playing a match with my main man ganondorf hoping to smash people with my BA sword and wall of with backs airs and ganoncide..... Ganondorf is complete Dog S**t...... why.... why did they do this to the king of evil. They nerfed his best move, the up-air. Why Sakurai. FIX THIS!!!
Faster jumpsquat and literally every other aerial getting improved. You only used Ganondorf's uair so much because his other aerials sucked in the landing lag department. Adapt and deal with it, cuz you aren't playing 4 anymore. Overcentralizing options get nerfed to pave the way for more buffs, and being low tier does not give you a free pass.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
She'll easily make headlines. The very first Indie Playable character in the biggest fighting game? thats gonna be HUGE news. It will show the world that indie game companies are just as important as the big ones. Not that I don't already feel that way, but this is a huge thing for all current and future game developers. That one day your own creation can be on the same stage as Mario, Link, and Sonic.
You know if Steve gets in, he'll kinda sorta be the first playable indie in Smash...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Thats why I said 20% in the RTC thread. i am not 100% sold she is in the first pack but can still happen. When we get a season 2 and/or 3(its happening) her chances go way up
Let's not get ahead of ourselves, just need to hope for Wave 2 first before pie-in-the-sky dreaming.

You know if Steve gets in, he'll kinda sorta be the first playable indie in Smash...
If he's in with Banjo or not, it'll be whoever's the first Western character no matter which way you slice it.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
You never liked him in Melee even though Melee is the best iteration of him we have?
Nope. From the second I tried him out, I was disappointed. Ganondorf deserved a unique moveset, but they're so afraid of angering the people who play as him that they won't do that.

Also...everyone is so happy he's getting his sword...that this version of Ganondorf NEVER used. But hey, they gave pre-7 year time jump Ganondorf a cape when he didn't have one until he'd been Hyrule's tyrannical ruler for nearly a decade, so I guess we can just be happy that it's not Twilight Princess Ganondorf again.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Rating Day? Does that mean my negativity's warranted?

Basically, fan support is all we had left and we lost that, too. Anyone that isn't on this support thread HATES Shantae. Everyone who isn't me or someone on this thread is giving her a 0% want score. At this point, people want Steve over her. Steve's been beating Shantae on all of the fan polls, Steve's more relevant, and now RTC is grinding her to shreds. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more unironic Sans supporters than Shantae supporters. People HATE Shantae. She's also so obscure to the point in which if there was a spirit to be promoted to fighter status, it wouldn't be her. Also, notice how she's the character they keep showing off in promotional material. She's the Waluigi of spirits. In fact, she's the next Waluigi, period. People absolutely hate her, she's used to promote a non-fighter role, and she's a bit of a meme for not being in. There's no more evidence in her favor, like the NDA, so non-supporters aren't likely to come and support her, and there are many other far more likely indie reps who are gonna take a possible indie slot. She's probably the least likely fighter to get into the game at this point, since all of the evidence for her has turned to evidence against her.

I really hope I'm wrong. (If no one's going to respond, I'm gonna leave again.) Edit: I was gonna respond, but I didn't wanna come off as standoffish
I know I don't post here often, but as someone who participated in RTC a couple of times (both for fun and to nominate a character), I can honestly say that at the end of the day is still a fan poll, a fun little game, that has no influence on Sakurai or Nintendo's decisions in the long run. Does it sting that a character(s) you worked hard to nominate gets torn apart when its finally rated? Of course it does. Does it mean that Sakurai/Nintendo are going to follow this particular rating poll, and base their actions of it? Of course not.

You think Shantae is obscure? Judging by the size of this thread and the numerous artworks, posts, and videos she has going for her daily, I'd say she isn't, I know what it's like rooting for a obscure character believe me, and with Shantae, I don't have that feeling like I do with Amaterasu; struggling with an uphill battle just for people to notice her, let alone support her, with her I can clearly see her having a fair (even good) chance of making it in. This is one of the biggest support threads there is and that's not including the numerous other fans outside of it either.
So what dose sakurai mean by “only purchase the DLC if you are confident in it's value"?

It’s all gonna be fe characters isn’t it?
If by a blue moon's chance that Fjorm and (especially) Lyn made it in (despite her (unjustly) being an AT since its conception :mad:) I'd be extremely happy

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I know I don't post here often, but as someone who participated in RTC a couple of times (both for fun and to nominate a character), I can honestly say that at the end of the day is still a fan poll, a fun little game, that has no influence on Sakurai or Nintendo's decisions in the long run. Does it sting that a character(s) you worked hard to nominate gets torn apart when its finally rated? Of course it does. Does it mean that Sakurai/Nintendo are going to follow this particular rating poll, and base their actions of it? Of course not.

You think Shantae is obscure? Judging by the size of this thread and the numerous artworks, posts, and videos she has going for her daily, I'd say she isn't, I know what it's like rooting for a obscure character believe me, and with Shantae, I don't have that feeling like I do with Amaterasu; struggling with an uphill battle just for people to notice her, let alone support her, with her I can clearly see her having a fair (even good) chance of making it in. This is one of the biggest support threads there is and that's not including the numerous other fans outside of it either.

If by a blue moon's chance that Fjorm and (especially) Lyn made it in (despite her (unjustly) being an AT since its conception :mad:) I'd be extremely happy
Yeah, I understand that feeling. I vouch for characters like Captain Syrup, Wario Ware cast, Klonoa, Bonk, Earthworm Jim and Duke Nukem, and I'd give anything for them to be noticed much worldwide at all (hell, that last one doesn't even have a support thread).

Compared to those, Shantae is a media darling that's poised to become the next Ridley or K. Rool. Gotta be thankful that people are willing to push for her.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Nope. From the second I tried him out, I was disappointed. Ganondorf deserved a unique moveset, but they're so afraid of angering the people who play as him that they won't do that.

Also...everyone is so happy he's getting his sword...that this version of Ganondorf NEVER used. But hey, they gave pre-7 year time jump Ganondorf a cape when he didn't have one until he'd been Hyrule's tyrannical ruler for nearly a decade, so I guess we can just be happy that it's not Twilight Princess Ganondorf again.
Honestly, these days even a truly canon-adhering Ganondorf would not be that unique of a fighter. You might be better off vouching for classic pig Ganon for that.

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
Faster jumpsquat and literally every other aerial getting improved. You only used Ganondorf's uair so much because his other aerials sucked in the landing lag department. Adapt and deal with it, cuz you aren't playing 4 anymore. Overcentralizing options get nerfed to pave the way for more buffs, and being low tier does not give you a free pass.
I never played smash 4, that running animation was just too stupid, I play 64, Melee, and PM. But from what I have played and know, Ganon didn't fare so well in 4 (aside from rage). If you want me to elaberate more, then I will. Ganon is still very slow, his side-b has no reach, you can now mash out of it, back air is slow when it should be a easy walling option, and while I have been joking to people hear at college that nearly everyone can recover off stage, Ganon can't. Plus with rage being severely toned down in Ultimate, his best quality from 4 is gone.
But because I try to be involved with things that are unfamiliar to me, let me say what I do like. The sword is dope (although a bit slower it seems, comes with more range as a consolation I guess), the up-tilt time has been lowered (although I think it should be replaced with a faster stomp), his voice actor is awesome (It's the voice actor from melee reprising his role which is pretty cool), and his running animation isn't stupid looking anymore.

Listen, we all have specific reasons why we enjoy these games. I have been playing Ganon since melee came out. While he is isn't the best character, knowledge with the character still get him far. When I saw him and PM, he could also contend with the big boys. I can't say that about Ganon in the other games. Playing as Shantae and a decent Ganon were the only things I wanted from Smash 5. The only reason why I still am buying the game is because maybe at least 1 of those things happen. I know patches will come out as people play, but I'm worried he will get the same treatment as Jigglypuff got in smash 4. I want to like the game, so call my reasoning stupid, but all I want is Ganon to be good. (And our girl to come out. 30 empty character slots were found so here's hoping)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I never played smash 4, that running animation was just too stupid, I play 64, Melee, and PM. But from what I have played and know, Ganon didn't fare so well in 4 (aside from rage). If you want me to elaberate more, then I will. Ganon is still very slow, his side-b has no reach, you can now mash out of it, back air is slow when it should be a easy walling option, and while I have been joking to people hear at college that nearly everyone can recover off stage, Ganon can't. Plus with rage being severely toned down in Ultimate, his best quality from 4 is gone.
But because I try to be involved with things that are unfamiliar to me, let me say what I do like. The sword is dope (although a bit slower it seems, comes with more range as a consolation I guess), the up-tilt time has been lowered (although I think it should be replaced with a faster stomp), his voice actor is awesome (It's the voice actor from melee reprising his role which is pretty cool), and his running animation isn't stupid looking anymore.

Listen, we all have specific reasons why we enjoy these games. I have been playing Ganon since melee came out. While he is isn't the best character, knowledge with the character still get him far. When I saw him and PM, he could also contend with the big boys. I can't say that about Ganon in the other games. Playing as Shantae and a decent Ganon were the only things I wanted from Smash 5. The only reason why I still am buying the game is because maybe at least 1 of those things happen. I know patches will come out as people play, but I'm worried he will get the same treatment as Jigglypuff got in smash 4. I want to like the game, so call my reasoning stupid, but all I want is Ganon to be good. (And our girl to come out. 30 empty character slots were found so here's hoping)
Why wall with bair when you can do that with nair and running tilts? And while almost everyone can recover, will they with worse airdodges and an angry Ganondorf that will kill them if he touches with any of his aerials?

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
Why wall with bair when you can do that with nair and running tilts? And while almost everyone can recover, will they with worse airdodges and an angry Ganondorf that will kill them if he touches with any of his aerials?
I played through all of spirits and can confidently say that air dodges are inherently broken. Not in the way I would like them to be but still none the less. Air dodges in 5 don't put you in special fall, allowing you to perform actions afterwards, all be it after some time has passed. In addition you can air dodge and grab the ledge with it. To me this was very dumb. This gives people an insanely long invincibility time with the frames from the air doge and the ledge. Since people also snap to the ledge from like 12 feet away anyways, it feels like none of ganon's moves can combat people recovering. The start up is just too slow withe the window of invincibility being just too big.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
They put that librarian thing on their Facebook too. They usually don't do much with their FB beyond sale announcements and stuff. Interesting...

Also, has it been brought up that WayForward have been brought in to work some debugging for BloodStained? I wonder if this could get Shantae a semi cameo in the game like Shovel Knight is getting (I say semi as shovel knight isn't in the game but a character highly inspired by him)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Stephano Stephano Umm...IMO, Ganondorf's ALWAYS been complete dog s**t. I've rarely ever had fun with him in Smash Bros. I've never been fond of slower, heavier Captain Falcon.
Whether you like it or not, Ganondorf was pretty good in Melee. He was ranked number 10 or 11 on the tier list in Melee. But Ganondorf in Brawl and Smash 4? Yeah, he's bad in those games. I'm not too sure yet on how good or bad Ganondorf will be in Ultimate, I hope he's at least decent.

I wish Ganondorf would have an original moveset too instead of being Falcondorf. Also, I love that they put his timeskip OOT design as his model for Ultimate as well as him actually using his sword in his moveset. I still want Ganondorf to be completely decloned, they should replace Warlock Punch with Dead Man's Volley as his Neutral B and replace his jump with him floating as his recovery. Basically, just give him the Project M moveset and we are golden.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
ONE WEEK LEFT BOYZ!!!!!!!!!!!!(and girlz if any lol).

D

Deleted member

7 DAYS REMAIN:ultfox:

ONE MORE WEEK TILL THE ULTIMATE DAY
(except for the ones that bought it early how dare you)

Top Bottom