• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
While there's no news, Capcom and Konami have done their own tribute pictures in anticipation for the game.

https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/2018/11/28/celebrate-smash-bros-ultimate-konami-capcom/

Quality, they're like night and day though.

>Mario Vs. Rathalos: You
>Simon and Richter: The guy she tells you not to worry about

Nintendo will show something, even if not related to Smash. The only surefire thing is Metroid Prime 4 details.
I am sure it's just the different artists styles... But yeah, I like the secound one more.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
While there's no news, Capcom and Konami have done their own tribute pictures in anticipation for the game.

https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/2018/11/28/celebrate-smash-bros-ultimate-konami-capcom/

Quality, they're like night and day though.

>Mario Vs. Rathalos: You
>Simon and Richter: The guy she tells you not to worry about
Speaking of, I guess, the Animal Crossing account posted this adorable picture, today!

Dukefire

Smash Master
Speaking of, I guess, the Animal Crossing account posted this adorable picture, today!
Looks like everyone is getting ready for the big event coming in 9 days (8 days tomorrow).

Can't wait to try everything out.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Noice, wish the Isabelle thread was active enough to justify posting this.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Probably not. If there were though, that'd be the thing to get me to actually tune into the GA. Though I'd still rather read through the few announcements later than sit through it tbh.
Theoretically they could "announce" the DLC characters anytime they want since they've been selected, however at this point they probably have nothing to show about them, not even a model, putting somewhat of a damper on the hype-building especially if you don't know who the character is.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Probably not. If there were though, that'd be the thing to get me to actually tune into the GA. Though I'd still rather read through the few announcements later than sit through it tbh.
I actually like the Game Awards. Especially after the shade they threw at Konami for the whole Metal Gear Solid 5 fiasco.
Nintendo will show something, even if not related to Smash. The only surefire thing is Metroid Prime 4 details.
There's bound to be something. Geoff Keighly said they have over 10 new game announcements as well as updates for current games.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I think it's going to be on the Udon Collectable website, actually. :)
Well, I'll be darned, they're going to have a store open for 10 days selling their con exclusive stuff. Gotta get that Shantae pin, any merch of Shantae is good times. :D

D

Deleted member

I’m curious if the profile pic,themed world,risky spirit increases her chances a bit.

Dose it not?

Dukefire

Smash Master
I’m curious if the profile pic,themed world,risky spirit increases her chances a bit.

Dose it not?
All depends on Sakurai, Nintendo, Wayforward and Matt Bozon to make the final call. We don't know what happens, so only time will tell during the curtains being down.

This from me tonight:

Artist: Wooden Plank Studios

DtFhHpxWkAA8Lsc.jpeg
DtFhJMPX4AA2fL1.jpeg
DtFhJ4PXoAEey5C.jpeg
DtFhKXYX4AA4twR.jpeg

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
So I just beat spirit mode and I feel like I should warn y’all about it.

I should previce this by saying that I fought and tried to get everything, as most people would do normally, if you didn’t care about getting the characters, it would be a little bit better.

Those who want to hear the problems I have this Spirits mode (no spoilers), check the spoiler...
I know fighting games are supposed to be “repetitive” but oh my lord, Spirits mode is the most repetitive thing I have ever played. It’s soooooooo long. But it’s not long in the good way. While some see SSE as repetitive, and to some extent it is, it at least rewarded you with FREAKING AWESOME cutscenes. But in this..... you fight the same enemies over and OVER again with frustrating gimicks that are not that fun. Sometimes it’s cool when a spirit matches up with the enemie but that doesn’t solve how repetitive it is. When I got to the second part of Spirits, I about lost it because it seemed to get even worse. The only Joy I got was when I saw cutscenes and there are barely any, and when I was able to finish a battle in 3 seconds with the staff.

Let me talk about the staff for a moment... it’s broken. You can end most matches in about 3 seconds depending on the stage layout or if the enemie likes to jump. If you get tired of fighting, which you most likely will, get the Cupid spirit and just reck everyone just to get it over with.

Honestly, I’m so happy I’m done with this. My advice to everyone is to not try to beat Spirits as fast as you can; YOU WILL DRIVE YOUR SELF INSANE!

The few things I DID like were
-the beautiful map (its gorgeous)
-the cutscenes (though very few)
-the staff weapon (OP as you may now know)
-SHANTAE AN OVERPOWERED SPIRIT HECK YES!!!!!!! SHE IS POWERFUL AND HAS 3 SLOTS FOR SMALLER SPIRITS WHICH MAKES HER EVEN BETTER. PUT HER WITH PEACH AND PEACH GETS A HUGE BUFF!!!

Here is a spoiler though, SHANTAE AN OVERPOWERED SPIRIT HECK YES!!!!!!! SHE IS POWERFUL AND HAS 3 SLOTS FOR SMALLER SPIRITS WHICH MAKES HER EVEN BETTER. PUT HER WITH PEACH AND PEACH GETS A HUGE BUFF!!!

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
So I just beat spirit mode and I feel like I should warn y’all about it.

I should previce this by saying that I fought and tried to get everything, as most people would do normally, if you didn’t care about getting the characters, it would be a little bit better.

Those who want to hear the problems I have this Spirits mode (no spoilers), check the spoiler...
I know fighting games are supposed to be “repetitive” but oh my lord, Spirits mode is the most repetitive thing I have ever played. It’s soooooooo long. But it’s not long in the good way. While some see SSE as repetitive, and to some extent it is, it at least rewarded you with FREAKING AWESOME cutscenes. But in this..... you fight the same enemies over and OVER again with frustrating gimicks that are not that fun. Sometimes it’s cool when a spirit matches up with the enemie but that doesn’t solve how repetitive it is. When I got to the second part of Spirits, I about lost it because it seemed to get even worse. The only Joy I got was when I saw cutscenes and there are barely any, and when I was able to finish a battle in 3 seconds with the staff.

Let me talk about the staff for a moment... it’s broken. You can end most matches in about 3 seconds depending on the stage layout or if the enemie likes to jump. If you get tired of fighting, which you most likely will, get the Cupid spirit and just reck everyone just to get it over with.

Honestly, I’m so happy I’m done with this. My advice to everyone is to not try to beat Spirits as fast as you can; YOU WILL DRIVE YOUR SELF INSANE!

The few things I DID like were
-the beautiful map (its gorgeous)
-the cutscenes (though very few)
-the staff weapon (OP as you may now know)
-SHANTAE AN OVERPOWERED SPIRIT HECK YES!!!!!!! SHE IS POWERFUL AND HAS 3 SLOTS FOR SMALLER SPIRITS WHICH MAKES HER EVEN BETTER. PUT HER WITH PEACH AND PEACH GETS A HUGE BUFF!!!

Here is a spoiler though, SHANTAE AN OVERPOWERED SPIRIT HECK YES!!!!!!! SHE IS POWERFUL AND HAS 3 SLOTS FOR SMALLER SPIRITS WHICH MAKES HER EVEN BETTER. PUT HER WITH PEACH AND PEACH GETS A HUGE BUFF!!!
Based on your description, and the little I've seen it really is just a Smash version of Libra of the Soul from Soul Calibur 6. Well, minus the OC and plus actual boss fights. Not that I was expecting any different, but with so many characters to unlock, I only hope it doesn't wear people down too fast.

Let me ask, if I may. You said it was long, but how long did it take to unlock every fighter versus how long the mode was in it's entirety?

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
That's pretty cool! :)

I don't know why they chose Peach, in particular, to be the one to get the buff from Shantae's spirit, but that's alright.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Based on your description, and the little I've seen it really is just a Smash version of Libra of the Soul from Soul Calibur 6. Well, minus the OC and plus actual boss fights. Not that I was expecting any different, but with so many characters to unlock, I only hope it doesn't wear people down too fast.

Let me ask, if I may. You said it was long, but how long did it take to unlock every fighter versus how long the mode was in it's entirety?
I'm pretty sure using a mix of the three main methods (versus matches, Classic and World Of Light) will be faster and more enjoyable than relying on a single one. In general taking the latter mode at your own pace and not trying to power through it seems to be the best way to enjoy it. Though it helps in my case that I had low expectations for a serious plot. As Sakurai said, the fun is in your imagination with the spirits, not the CGI cutscenes.

In general I struggle to see how you can avoid repetition over such a lengthy campaign and in this kind of game. Even if it was literally Subspace Emissary 2, having such a large cast puts a harsh limit on level design, but trying to make levels specifically catering to certain fighters could alienate/roadblock players who don't know or don't like using that character. I notice a trend in this game where nothing major requires you to use every fighter (like beating Classic with all of them), so nothing forces you to use characters you really don't like.

At the end of the day World Of Light, and pretty much every story mode in a fighting game, is a side mode and should be treated as such.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Yeah also now that we know that HGH Shantae's spirit is a 3rd out of 4 tiers on the scale I wonder if she has an enhanced state that will put her in the 4th tier?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That's pretty cool! :)

I don't know why they chose Peach, in particular, to be the one to get the buff from Shantae's spirit, but that's alright.
Probably because she buffs ''body'' attacks, which include the belly and hips. Unless they split that up from Brawl or my assumption is way off.

Stephano Stephano Did you ever find that Risky spirit?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

When looking at the datamine the sheet explains the number when they were added meaning shantae and risky were added in late like in the last minute
:ohwell:

Last edited by a moderator:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Heads up everyone! Shantae is on todays RTC thread at the top of the forum! Go and rate! So far everyone's rating is.... quite low. I myself could only put her at 20% myself. She still has a chance.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Semi daily Shantae picture! no source on artist sadly

View attachment 180544
The pictures you post are always bordering on being NSFW, and it's great! ;)
Heads up everyone! Shantae is on todays RTC thread at the top of the forum! Go and rate! So far everyone's rating is.... quite low. I myself could only put her at 20% myself. She still has a chance.
Huh, I shall. :)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
No. It's dumb. No concrete evidence leads to fruitless arguments and frankly these percentages are unrealistic. It's either 100% or 0% whether one becomes playable or not based on Sakurai's decision.

zferolie

Smash Hero
No. It's dumb. No concrete evidence leads to fruitless arguments and frankly these percentages are unrealistic. It's either 100% or 0% whether one becomes playable or not based on Sakurai's decision.
Thats not wrong but it is a very black and white look to it for sure

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's as simple as this: a yes or no from Sakurai and Wayforward. Numbers are a pretty pretentious way of measuring likelihood, I'd prefer to say "somewhat likely".

zferolie

Smash Hero
we have no actual idea if the ordering means anything. people are just guessing that. Shovel knight is the last AT as well, so if anything all it means is Indies are near the end, if that

Top Bottom