• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So I saw this today

Its looking like a few of the third party characters are getting in on this... Do we think Wayforward may do a picture like this too? I mean Bomberman is just an AT, so why can't WF do it for shantae who is a Spirit?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, just need to hope for Wave 2 first before pie-in-the-sky dreaming.

If he's in with Banjo or not, it'll be whoever's the first Western character no matter which way you slice it.
I just think Nintendo would be insane not to keep supplying this game with DLC. Heck, they are still giving MARIO KART 8 DLC, so smash would just make more sense. They know they can charge for it and people will pay it. Why not at least have 1 more wave after this one?

I mean, I think the future of fighting games is constantly updating the current one. Look at Street fighter 5 and Tekken 7(?) SF has rumors of a season 4 coming, and tekken started its season 3 soon. This is how fighting games should do it(even though SF5 had a terrible roster at start). Smash should follow this model as well. We know the switch has at least 5 more years left, if not more. Smash DLC right now only lasts 1 year maybe slightly more. Nintendo can easily add another 1-3 years of DLC, then eventually start working on the next game for the next system.

Nope. From the second I tried him out, I was disappointed. Ganondorf deserved a unique moveset, but they're so afraid of angering the people who play as him that they won't do that.

Also...everyone is so happy he's getting his sword...that this version of Ganondorf NEVER used. But hey, they gave pre-7 year time jump Ganondorf a cape when he didn't have one until he'd been Hyrule's tyrannical ruler for nearly a decade, so I guess we can just be happy that it's not Twilight Princess Ganondorf again.
My thoughts on Ganondorf is I wish they changed him more. Yes, every game he changes, but why does he still not have the iconic Energy ball tennis from OoT?! That should be his B or Down B.

And with Echos, I would have thought sakurai could then bring in Black shadow, to bring back Melee Ganondorf that people like, so actual Ganondorf could become more like Isabelle to Villager. Ganondorf is still much different, but I really think he needs that Iconic attack and then is set.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Okay, so...

After much (aka 10 seconds) of pondering, and deliberation, I have come to the conclusion, that, I just... don't really enjoy being in this thread anymore (for obvious reasons :p). I'm going to continue, supporting Shantae, of course, but... not here...

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Gordo Toss proves that Dead Man's Volley is a stupid idea for a move. At least Dedede can leave it stationary as a trap instead.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nope. From the second I tried him out, I was disappointed. Ganondorf deserved a unique moveset, but they're so afraid of angering the people who play as him that they won't do that.

Also...everyone is so happy he's getting his sword...that this version of Ganondorf NEVER used. But hey, they gave pre-7 year time jump Ganondorf a cape when he didn't have one until he'd been Hyrule's tyrannical ruler for nearly a decade, so I guess we can just be happy that it's not Twilight Princess Ganondorf again.
Ganondorf plays like Captain Falcon in that game because he had the build of Captain Falcon and he was given Falcon's moveset due to time constraints. Remember Melee was made in one year.

Though I will agree with you, he really should've received his own unique moveset instead of being a crappy Captain Falcon clone, but that's what Smash Bros Legacy is for.

Last edited by a moderator:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Ganondorf plays like Captain Falcon in that game because he had the build of Captain Falcon and he was given Falcon's moveset due to time constraints. Remember Melee was made in one year.

Though I will agree with you, he really should've received his own unique moveset instead of being a crappy Captain Falcon clone, but that's what Smash Bros Legacy is for.
I think they should have just made Black shadow an echo of Captain falcon this game, and then totally revamp ganondorf, or make him more like Isabelle or Luigi levels of echo.

D

Deleted member

I think they should have just made Black shadow an echo of Captain falcon this game, and then totally revamp ganondorf, or make him more like Isabelle or Luigi levels of echo.
Well, too bad that didn't happen, since Nintendo doesn't really care about F-Zero anymore :(

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well, too bad that didn't happen, since Nintendo doesn't really care about F-Zero anymore :(
You would think they would push it more, as since Falcon is in smash thats free advertising for F-Zero... and GX was SUCH A GREAT GAME!

zferolie

Smash Hero
I KNOW I LOVED IT!
The gamecube had 3 amazing racing games that nintendo never did more with. Mario Kart double dash(that 2 player mechanic is just amazing) F-Zero GX(Best F-Zero game, fun story, and great high speed gameplay I feel hasn't been topped yet on console) and Kirby's Air Air(WHERE IS THIS SEQUAL STOP TEASING USE WITH THAT CITY ESCAPE REMIX IS SMASH SAKURAI?!?!?!!?)

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
I think F-Zero is just too hard and unapproachable for it to sell well.
I personally wouldn't say it has an issue with being unapproachable, more so it may be difficult to make work in the modern gaming industry. They would have to find a way to update the series for an entire new generation, which can be rather tricky, but not impossible.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
So apparently Sakurai thought Sonic wasn't fast enough so they buffed his run speed even more in Ultimate.
Now he can outrun the Blue Falcon on Big Blue without any help.
Can't wait to see online Sonic players run off the stage from overdosing on fast.
Now thats just silly, and probably will never see actual gameplay use, but I love it and it fits his character

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I know I said I was going, but...
Aww yeah! :D

D

Deleted member

zferolie

Smash Hero
Thats cool. no reason for me to rebuy unless something they give here was not in the kickstarter stuff I got.

EDIT: DERP, i thought this was half genie hero haha

Last edited:

GhostYB

Smash Apprentice
as much as i love her games and design i cant see her making it at all. the indie representations in this game are very slim and i feel like we were really lucky to even get shovel knight as an assist trophy. however, i do love the idea of it and support her and people who love her. she would be so unique!

Dukefire

Smash Master
This has been an interesting last week before Smash Ultimate Arrives Worldwide so far. I have been in and out of hoping for shantae getting in as a fighter with various good reasons regarding her of being a waifu alone. Still, we don't know as we continue traversing the dark for more clues of potential light to fighter status upgrade from spirit. Only time will tell.......

Also, I have got the three mage sisters in Star Allies and boy did it take some time to save them. It was somewhat tougher, but tolerable to win with the right allies by your side.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Finally! I already have a physical copy of the 3DS version, but I still wanted a physical copy of a home console version and it's finally here.

P.S. I know there's a PS4 Limited Run version, but it's gotten too expensive for my taste. :p

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Finally! I already have the 3DS version, but I still wanted a physical copy of a home console version and it's finally here.

P.S. I know there's a PS4 Limited Run version, but it's gotten too expensive for my taste. :p
Plus PS4 is not... well sony is being stupid

zferolie

Smash Hero
All Limited Run games increase in value some time after copies are sold out on Limited Run Games.com.
I meant more that unless I have to i try not to buy PS4 games due to how Sony has been acting. Its censorship policy, its lack of cross play in many games, and its attitude towards its consumers

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I meant more that unless I have to i try not to buy PS4 games due to how Sony has been acting. Its censorship policy, its lack of cross play in many games, and its attitude towards its consumers
I respect your opinion. But I'm still buying PS4 games regardless of what they do.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
don't forget about the fortnite one. Once you link the account to PS4, there is no going back and its locked to the console forever.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I respect your opinion. But I'm still buying PS4 games regardless of what they do.
And that is fine, I won't force you to change what you do. Hell, I still play destiny 2 of PS4 sincei have it there already, and plan to get Darksiders 3 and KH3 on it. Its a good system, i just wish sony would act right.

don't forget about the fortnite one. Once you link the account to PS4, there is no going back and its locked to the console forever.
Yeah that was hella douche

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Christ, 30+ pages since I was last on here. No way I'm catching up on all that. Did I miss anything significant?

Also, from the last couple pages it looks like Shantae came up in the RTC thread again. I'll say what I always say when that happens, which is not to take that thread seriously at all. The very concept of trying to come up with a numerical approximation of various characters' chances is risible. On top of that, it's a very small and insular community that participates there, and the reasoning there is extremely speculative and not entirely objective, to put it mildly. It means pretty close to nothing.

Why is it every time I come here we have that one person who has their entire faith break with even the smallest bit of doubt? Like, c'mon guys...

First of all, people don't hate Shantae. If you check out other places like the subreddit, Shantae is a common (positive) mention whether the discussion relating to spirits and fighters comes up. She's fairly similar to characters such as Bandana Dee, who also was revealed to be a spirit. Stop being so negative. It isn't warranted, and its more or less just trying to be the party pooper. She does have a chance, and she is just as viable as other characters. I've been following the speculation scene since August, and she is around the same level as many other characters, and is not nearly as obscure as people say she is. If you want obscure, look for someone hoping for Welkin Gunther as a SEGA rep or Maximilian as a Level-5 rep. Relax.

Have a little faith and stop breaking under even the slightest pressure.

In other, more positive discussion... who here is getting the game on release? I would, but I can't actually get started with a Switch until Christmas, but it seems like thats relatively common. Those who aren't getting it on release are waiting until Christmas to get it, which is quickly making it almost like a second "launch day", and there will likely be a second influx of players.
I pre-purchased it digitally, so I'll be playing from launch day. I'm hoping maybe it becomes available at 9 p.m. ET the night before. Either way I'll spend the night bombing through Spirits Mode. I might pick up some beers and make a celebration out of it lol.

Last edited:

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
why does the game have to be released JUST when my exams will start :sadeyes:
I don't post here that much anymore but I still lurk. It was such a fun speculation cycle here ! All our collective support 100% helped the Shantae franchise, made it grow and gives us the certainty that Shantae will be up for new adventures eventually.

Regarding the DLCs, I don't know about you guys, but I'll wait for their content to be revealed before buying them. There just aren't many characters I want that much aside from Shantae.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
I'm just confused as to why it costs more than Half Genie Hero. HGH has more content and is the most recent iteration.
can someone validate this for me?

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
The fact its coming out on Dec 7 makes me ideal wish for Smash dual announcement...lol

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Welcome back! Please don't leave, we like you around here... We just can't show it cause I think we've posted every single Rottytops gif in existence by this point. :p And I'm sorely tempted by that. Also, the UDON online store opens up tomorrow! They had a "Register for early access" thing that I took advantage of, so I've already ordered my Shantae pin! I may go back through though...they had some pins from Neon Genesis Evangelion that are somewhat tempting.

Top Bottom