• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I’d say the same, man imagine if Risky and K Rool teamed up against Shantae and DK.
I wouldn't like that all too much.

In HGH, she completely disregarded her partnership with Shantae, which she had in Pirate's Curse, which already left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. Her teaming up with K. Rool, in my opinion, would be even worse, the ultimate betrayal...

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration

In HGH, she completely disregarded her partnership with Shantae, which she had in Pirate's Curse, which already left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. Her teaming up with K. Rool, in my opinion, would be even worse, the ultimate betrayal...
Risky did say she had no intention of going "good" at the end of Pirate's Curse.

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman

too be fair she didnt wind up liking shantae anymore, but simply gained a form of respect for her as a rival. I wouldnt be surprsied if they secretly have a bowser mario relationship, where they try to kill each other and then go go-karting afterwards.

D

Deleted member

Guys I found a photo of a mii fighter costume

It’s not what we expected him to be

but it’s still something for the isaac fans.
7D571807-2FD0-4572-A0D4-3739B180C13D.jpeg

In other words

Who’s gonna use the shantae pic as your smash tag icon?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

I can understand, I guess I’m used to seeing the “enemies teaming up against a greater threat” trope that I don’t see Risky just turning over a new leaf like that. I mean I wouldn’t be opposed to the idea, but honestly I’m not entirely sure I want her to, who else would take her place as the series’s antagonist/foil to Shantae?

but it’s still something for the isaac fans.View attachment 179778

In other words

Who’s gonna use the shantae pic as your smash tag icon?
Why does that outfit look better than his assist trophy does?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I can understand, I guess I’m used to seeing the “enemies teaming up against a greater threat” trope that I don’t see Risky just turning over a new leaf like that. I mean I wouldn’t be opposed to the idea, but honestly I’m not entirely sure I want her to, who else would take her place as the series’s antagonist/foil to Shantae?
Yeah, if anything this situation is quite similar in a way to Wario Land: Shake It!'s ending. Granted, Syrup didn't contribute much, but did assist Wario until he got the Shake King's coin bag.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You can have her become an anti-hero, who protects Sequin Land her own way (namely stealing, threatening to use force and lying to meet her goals). She can still "attack" Scuttle Town on regular basis to keep up appearances/spar with Shantae.

I mentioned this before, but it could start with her doing an unintentional good deed like she does with Giga Mermaid in Pirate Queen's Quest, such as ''conquering'' a town run by a tyrant. From there she tries to reconcile the good feeling that comes from said good deeds with her dark magic corruption-induced desire to ravage and conquer. It's especially tricky because she's well aware acting altruistically can cancel out dark magic, and will initially make a concerted effort to not do so in fear of losing the strength she's gained from said dark magic. We see this when she tries to vehemently deny helping Giga Mermaid out of goodwill, instead of, say, milking some sort of dishonest alliance out of the turn of events. She's incredibly shy about being nice, even as an act, likely because she's worried she might actually like it.
Well, here's some really cute Shantae artwork, for you guys to enjoy! :)
Hey! I just realized Shantae can pretty much transform into every animal buddy present in Donkey Kong Country 3. Ellie (Elephant), Squitter (Spider) and Squawks (Harpy). Mermaid is close enough to Enguarde, right?

Edit: So I had a look at the list of possible online avatars, and... holy moly were we lucky. They were organized by franchise, with the last section being miscellaneous. Said section has only five avatars total, including Shantae. That's quite the honor...

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So, um, earlier today, all of the artwork used for the spirits. was leaked. I wonder what art Risky uses...
My guess is it's also from Half-Genie Hero. Probably this one:

Fulfills the same purpose as the Shantae one of looking ready for action, without necessarily looking pissed for no reason.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I’m really happy that Risky is a Spirit guys, this is also HUGE for us since Shantae is the only third-party series that doesn’t have any other sort of physical representation in the game to actually get more representation (I didn’t count Shovel Knight cause he had the Assist Trophy going in his favor)

Now something else, I specifically remember reading in the original (Now removed) datamine that Rottytops was also a Spirit, however now it appears that she’s not present at all, I’m wondering if she was removed as a Spirit due to her more... Suggestive outfit... Of course this is all just speculation and we probably won’t know the true answer since Sakurai never opened up about Tharja.

Regardless this is a big deal for us that she has multiple Spirits, and I really hope you guys consider how big a deal this is. Here’s hoping for DLC, things aren’t looking too bad for us!

Dukefire

Smash Master
Do you even believe that the Smash Team and Sakurai would have 30 slots available from the datamine? I find it hard to believe on is left for sakurai to surprise us with.

Then again, Sakurai is the person to blow everyone away on the expectations since it's his game to begin with.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
Aight just got back from Thanksgiving so now it's time to play super catch-up lightning round ultra.

I saw the ROM leak and all the various leaked videos for WOL. I haven't viewed any of it but it just disappoints me. Remember when Sakurai openly showed disdain for people who leaked the SSE cut-scenes? And the supposed reason why he didn't want to make another adventure mode?

Yeah I'm sure he'll just love it the second time around amirite guys? Actually y'know what lets leak the whole game while we're at it.

Now Sakurai's out for blood and the Nintendo ninjas are cutting down anything and everything ultimate related. I wouldn't be surprised if he just turns everyone (besides Kirby of course) into assist trophies to to spite us.

Also the idea of a Minecraft boss sounds so weird and cool. I can see someone like the Wither being a boss as the Ender Dragon just seems redundant with Rathalos. As long as Steve doesn't take up a DLC slot from Shantae we cool.
Hey guys: sorry for my general inactivity as always. I have to admit now that I'll be busy/inactive again in a few days as I'll be flying down to Japan for a study abroad related trip and the plane flight to Japan is not going to be fun... alongside adjusting to the timezones there, so we'll see. In terms of when I return, that'll be on December 10th, so I'll be a bit behind on Ultimate. Either way, the rest of the trip should be quite interesting either way, though.
I always wanted to visit Japan one day. Maybe when I'm done with studies and have more time I might. Anyway I hope you have a safe trip and enjoy yourself there.

also I noticed that I wasn't on the support list this whole time so if you could add me that would be pretty cool kthanksbye

but it’s still something for the isaac fans.View attachment 179778
My eyes
cannot unsee
delet this

https://imgur.com/NbLRFX0

At the very bottom, Shantae is confirmed to be one of the player icons you can use!
Why do a few icons have borders around them? Are they obtained by special means or is it just for flair?

Anyway here's some more Kirb to make up for lost time

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Now something else, I specifically remember reading in the original (Now removed) datamine that Rottytops was also a Spirit, however now it appears that she’s not present at all, I’m wondering if she was removed as a Spirit due to her more... Suggestive outfit...
I know the whole censorship thing can be weird, but I doubt tank top and jean shorts are more suggestive than skull bra and jaw thong.

Still looks better than the assist version.

Also that’s a lot of cute Kirb, I think I saw a comic I liked from one of those artists, I’ll see if I can find it

EDIT:
CB42EB30-5592-458E-ABF8-990D5405BBB1.jpeg

E8186348-0AC3-4127-B762-8B4ED1520FDE.jpeg

the only proper scenario for a selfie stick.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I know the whole censorship thing can be weird, but I doubt tank top and jean shorts are more suggestive than skull bra and jaw thong.
Then I dunno why she got removed, all I know was that she was in the original datamine for Spirits a couple days ago, then when it got datamined again she was missing. The censorship was speculative in my part.

D

Deleted member

Also the idea of a Minecraft boss sounds so weird and cool. I can see someone like the Wither being a boss as the Ender Dragon just seems redundant with Rathalos. As long as Steve doesn't take up a DLC slot from Shantae we cool.
It’s like a rathalos echo :p

Also I think you’re referring to banjo. Steve isn’t indie anymore

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowknight1

Do you even believe that the Smash Team and Sakurai would have 30 slots available from the datamine? I find it hard to believe on is left for sakurai to surprise us with.

Then again, Sakurai is the person to blow everyone away on the expectations since it's his game to begin with.
30 slots? What, did someone find 30 empty fighter slots in the datamine or something?

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
Those player icons look sweet, hope we'll be able to use em for our Switch Profile icon as well (some peeps were talking about that). Obviously gonna use Shantae but personally I noticed they also have my favorite Pokemon, Deoxys. Cool stuff really. Honestly though the profile icons are sorely lacking for our Switch Profiles so really wanting that to be true.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I’m really happy that Risky is a Spirit guys, this is also HUGE for us since Shantae is the only third-party series that doesn’t have any other sort of physical representation in the game to actually get more representation (I didn’t count Shovel Knight cause he had the Assist Trophy going in his favor)

Now something else, I specifically remember reading in the original (Now removed) datamine that Rottytops was also a Spirit, however now it appears that she’s not present at all, I’m wondering if she was removed as a Spirit due to her more... Suggestive outfit... Of course this is all just speculation and we probably won’t know the true answer since Sakurai never opened up about Tharja.

Regardless this is a big deal for us that she has multiple Spirits, and I really hope you guys consider how big a deal this is. Here’s hoping for DLC, things aren’t looking too bad for us!
I don't think it has anything to do with her appearance... it's just that in the grand scheme of things, her role as a supporting cast member is on par with Sky & Bolo. It would be weird to include her and not them at the same time, especially after their Friends To The End stint... but if they were, it would be kind of suspicious that some indie franchise is getting an awful lot of content without a playable rep currently available.

Shadowknight1

according to the datamining yes. 30 empty slots. IDK if this is true or not
I find it hard to believe that Sakurai would leave THAT many slots open. I mean, 30 more characters? There's insanity and then there's bats**t crazy. Smash Ultimate already has a roster that most fighting games would be envious of, 30 more on top of it would just be too much I think.

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
I find it hard to believe that Sakurai would leave THAT many slots open. I mean, 30 more characters? There's insanity and then there's bats**t crazy. Smash Ultimate already has a roster that most fighting games would be envious of, 30 more on top of it would just be too much I think.
From what I read it's not character slots, it's more like Character IDs. I can't tell you the specifics cause I don't even know code language at all but it would be probably be less then 30 characters.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, the numbers of fighter is currently 75 and that is where no fighting game can top that along with 103 + 5 stages and roughly 900 music tracks.

Smash Bros Ultimate's records and impact is now going to be VERY hard to compare with its imprint already behind its 6 months waiting time.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
It is real. However, I'm not entirely sure how much could fill these slots. One thing I heard is that each of the Koopalings have a slot, so if there's a DLC newcomer like that they could take 8 slots alone. In fact, I think anyone with specials alts (Robin, Bayonetta, etc.) takes up an extra slot for said special alts.

No one seems to have actually posted the full list of character IDs but in the video I see "Koopag" which I would guess refers to Giga Bowser, thus meaning bosses also take these slots. I've also heard a theory that since these slots come immediately after the Mii fighters they are for custom Mii characters.

Overall, while these slots do indeed exist, don't put too much stock into what they could mean.

Last edited:

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
It’s like a rathalos echo :p

Also I think you’re referring to banjo. Steve isn’t indie anymore
At this point the term "indie" has become so diluted it's hard to pinpoint what really defines one.

Also I would definitely pay to see a Rathalos echo.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I'm sure most for those empty roster slots are there as "maybe placeholders" Like they don't plan on ever needing that many, but saving themselves the space just in case so as not to shoot themselves in the foot further down the line. I mean, why limit yourself when you don't have to?

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I will definitely use Shantae icon. So that Nintendo sees that Shantae is loved by many.

#ShantaeForSmashDLC

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Just remember: as PokéfreakofBACON PokéfreakofBACON said these are 29 (not 30) ID slots, not necessarily character slots.

Slots can be generally filled up by alts and extra costumes (e.g. in the base roster Corrin/Ike/Cloud/Bayo take up 2 slots each, while Bowser Jr. takes 8 at once), so we could get characters that have several alts or costumes, let alone echoes. While there's no way to be sure that all 29 of these slots will be filled, all the ID slots in the previous game were filled up after all (and they definitely added an extra one as DLC came out), and they may do so again.

But yes, he makes the game for himself first of all, after all. He wants people to be pleasantly surprised with what he has to offer.

That said, how many sites will be free from leaks? Nintendo Life has taken a leak-free stance themselves.

Last edited:
Top Bottom