• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Look I know we all went off of a bad start today I just want to say I’m sorry for posting this blockhead in a support thread I hope you all forgive me:(
The blockhead (puns are fun, heh) has his own support thread if you wanna talk about him, though I know you don't support him.

Thankfully no one there has used that ugly (yet somewhat funny I must admit) Steve render; I really don't understand the toxic behavior on GameFaqs and 4chan.

Tbh I don't have much to say about Shantae other than Crusade made her seem interesting (I think that may or may not have been the first time I heard of her), as I haven't played her games, though I find it stupid how people keep bashing her along with other characters, and her magic and transforming stuff seems cool.

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I really hope we don’t get an esrb leak this time. I don’t want the surprise to be revealed early like last time.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
That Steve render entirely exists to be a "hurr durr Shantaefans" image. People started getting hyped for a possible Shantae, and then the Steve supporters of /v/ made that render, and at this point its been largely exclusive to /v/.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
That Steve render entirely exists to be a "hurr durr Shantaefans" image. People started getting hyped for a possible Shantae, and then the Steve supporters of /v/ made that render, and at this point its been largely exclusive to /v/.
Are you dead ass?

It's not the Steve supporters who are doing this. It really isn't. Stop blaming this on them.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Look I know we all went off of a bad start today I just want to say I’m sorry for posting this blockhead in a support thread I hope you all forgive me:(
Use spoiler tags for images you know people will be upset with you for and label them accordingly so people know what they're getting into.

It's just simple courtesy and really shouldn't have to be stated.
If you cringe at the sight of it, chances are we will too.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Are you dead ***?

It's not the Steve supporters who are doing this. It really isn't. Stop blaming this on them.
Oh, im not blaming the Steve supporters on Smash Boards or any other location. It's purely /v/. It's the only place you really see them, and its the only place the renders are used in any way inflammatory.

Im not, nor am I going to blame Steve supporters as a whole. Most of them are just like us, wanting their favorite newcomer to get revealed. Maybe I was inaccurate in saying "Steve Supporters", as it could just as easily be trolls pretending to be them. I apologize.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Can we not post anymore of Minecraft? Personally, I don't mind it at all but this thread is turning really emo. It's like some of you want Shantae deconfirmed just to cry about it. It's just giving more to SmashFAQs and 4chan who think Shantae fans are man-children.

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Can we not post anymore of Minecraft? Personally, I don't mind it at all but this thread turning really emo. It's like some of you want Shantae deconfirmed just to cry about it. It's just giving more to SmashFAQs and 4chan who think Shantae fans are man-children.

Yeah. Although I personally think both Steve and Shantae can be confirmed, as Steve is hardly considerable as indie at this point due to the sheer size and the backing of Microsoft. We'll just have to wait and see what kind of news we are getting. As far as I know, there's still more information regarding Shantae than Steve.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
It's not like Steve would steal anyone's slot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean if Sakurai negotiated a third-party, he's gonna add them in so the money isn't wasted. I really dislike how toxic people are using that ugly Steve render to bash other characters, when they could just put Steve alongside them instead.
He could tho. Sakurai could still look at Mc's origins and say "yep. He's indie" and that's a Risk (pun intended) I do not want to take.

Hey guy would sakurai even scream “ASSIST TROPHY” at her being like this?......
Or this....
View attachment 171312
He could tho. I'm not trying to be pessimistic here, but you can't just rule out the possibility until any confirmation is released just because you want to.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
He could tho. Sakurai could still look at Mc's origins and say "yep. He's indie" and that's a Risk (pun intended) I do not want to take.
Tbh I don't believe in slot-stealing, especially in the case of third-parties.

If a third-party isn't in, then Sakurai decided not to use their character, or didn't consider them. Plus, there's no reason he couldn't include both, as if Sakurai really cares about one rep-per-genre (which is already broken by multiple characters).

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Hey guy would sakurai even scream “ASSIST TROPHY” at her being like this?......
Or this....
View attachment 171312
He did with Isaac, he did with Midna, he did with Ashley.

I'm turning on everyone, this is egregious. You know, if she was relegated to a simple assist trophy, I'd be disappointed, naturally, but I would be so glad too, knowing that you learned a lesson about life's unpredictability, and how it will never bend to your will.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
He did with Isaac, he did with Midna, he did with Ashley.

I'm turning on everyone, this is egregious. You know, if she was relegated to a simple assist trophy, I'd be disappointed, naturally, but I would be so glad too, knowing that you learned a lesson about life's unpredictability, and how it will never bend to your will.
I mean, I feel the same way. I would very much prefer her as a fighter, but even just getting in as an assist trophy is huge for her, as it was with Shovel Knight. We can't make assumptions, and we should always try to make the most of what happens.

Pakky

Smash Hero

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Alright then.
But remember that editing posts is a thing.
And you can always take a moment to think if you should really hit "Post Reply" or back out at the last moment.

We already have one person completely disregarding other people's feelings with their forced negativity.
No need for a second one, now is there? ;)

...why did I even try?
Seriously, if you won't listen to reason, then you deserve what's coming to you...

If a third-party isn't in, then Sakurai decided not to use their character, or didn't consider them. Plus, there's no reason he couldn't include both, as if Sakurai really cares about one rep-per-genre (which is already broken by multiple characters).
Yeah.
Why do people think there are limited slots available again?

Like I said earlier, characters that end up as Assist Trophies are not put in that position out of time constraints, limited slots or anything like that.
They simply don't have what it takes to be a fighter, at this point in time.
Assist Trophies were never going to be fighters in this specific game.
And characters that are firmly planned to be fighters, will not get AT'd as a consolation prize.

So please, stop bringing up the "Limited Slots" argument or any argument that says "This AT would've been a fighter if not for slots/time".

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Alright then.
But remember that editing posts is a thing.
And you can always take a moment to think if you should really hit "Post Reply" or back out at the last moment.

We already have one person completely disregarding other people's feelings with their forced negativity.
No need for a second one, now is there? ;)

...why did I even try?
Seriously, if you won't listen to reason, then you deserve what's coming to you...

Yeah.
Why do people think there are limited slots available again?

Like I said earlier, characters that end up as Assist Trophies are not put in that position out of time constraints, limited slots or anything like that.
They simply don't have what it takes to be a fighter, at this point in time.
Assist Trophies were never going to be fighters in this specific game.
And characters that are firmly planned to be fighters, will not get AT'd as a consolation prize.

So please, stop bringing up the "Limited Slots" argument or any argument that says "This AT would've been a fighter if not for slots/time".

Limited slots are a pretty odd argument, I agree.

The roster is planned in advance, and they are going to focus on ones that will be the easiest to realize as a fighter. Assist trophies are often characters that are difficult to fully-realize as a fighter, at least at that point in time (Little Mac, Isabelle, and Dark Samus were all "promoted"). If Sakurai gets a good idea for a possible moveset, he may reexamine them in the next game. Otherwise, some are just doomed to remain assist trophies due to them being hard to realize, whether it be due to a take of material, limited technology, balance concerns, or no strong ideas at the time.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
So, what is everyone else doing while we wait for new Smash news?
I've been playing the Wind Waker Randomizer mostly...but I kinda hit the point where I've found most of items and it's just turned into another run of WW...which I've already played way too many times.

Dukefire

Smash Master
been trying to keep the thought out of my mind. Playing Overwatch, mother series games and doing stuff in rl to keep me occupied

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
For me, I've been playing Pokemon Moon while doing a bit of League of Legends. Class assignments keep me fairly busy too.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Or, quite simply, didn't hear about them (seriously though, is he aware of former Western 90s icons like Duke Nukem and EWJ?).

So, what is everyone else doing while we wait for new Smash news?
Playing Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise. Fortunately, it's by Yakuza's devs, meaning plenty of sidequests to distract me for a bit.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Lol I like how the "obvious waifu bait" is pointed towards her boobs.
When you can laugh at this stuff, it's actually pretty funny. The creepy steve is actually hilarious :D.

That said, it's not a great idea to post that stuff here, if people are sensitive to it.
Also, I think some people have trouble accepting characters they dont like. But the thing is, everyone can support who they want, and it's better to focus on what you like and putting good support out there for a character. Bashing Steve or someone else is not good support ;0

Anyway. let's just get back to it. And try to be open to different outcomes. It doesnt stop us from supporting and enjoying what we like (especially shantae in this place:))

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
When you can laugh at this stuff, it's actually pretty funny. The creepy steve is actually hilarious :D.

That said, it's not a great idea to post that stuff here, if people are sensitive to it.
Also, I think some people have trouble accepting characters they dont like. But the thing is, everyone can support who they want, and it's better to focus on what you like and putting good support out there for a character. Bashing Steve or someone else is not good support ;0

Anyway. let's just get back to it. And try to be open to different outcomes. It doesnt stop us from supporting and enjoying what we like (especially shantae in this place:))
IMO, it would have been funny if it weren't for the pictures of him torturing everyone's most wanted... and Isabelle, for some stupid reason. It just goes from "oh look at that. It looks stupid lol." to "Steve is superior to all other fighter requests. Steve fans are superior as people. You exist solely so we can laugh at you when your character doesn't make it in. Hail Vergeben!".

But I agree with you idea. I feel that the only reason any of us are bashing on other characters requests is either because there are others bashing on us, and we're just trying to be defensive or we actually think that they are a threat to our character.

RAW!

RAW!!
Smackdown!

*This sound effect can be heard in the distance in response to that joke*

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
IMO, it would have been funny if it weren't for the pictures of him torturing everyone's most wanted... and Isabelle, for some stupid reason. It just goes from "oh look at that. It looks stupid lol." to "Steve is superior to all other fighter requests. Steve fans are superior as people. You exist solely so we can laugh at you when your character doesn't make it in. Hail Vergeben!".

But I agree with you idea. I feel that the only reason any of us are bashing on other characters requests is either because there are others bashing on us, and we're just trying to be defensive or we actually think that they are a threat to our character.

Smackdown!

*This sound effect can be heard in the distance in response to that joke*

Yeah, but allowing people to step all over this thread like a doormat isn't much better. Besides, the best way to not support a particular character is to simply not pay any attention to them.

Plus it is much better to support many characters like I do, this way there's a guarantee to be happy about at least one getting in. Betting all chips on one number will only cause harm in the long run, for some support groups.

Last edited:

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Plus it is much better to support many characters like I do, this way there's a guarantee to be happy about at least one getting in. Betting all chips on one number will only cause harm in the long run, for some support groups.
Same, at first I was gonna be a supporter for a lot of characters but I realized how good of an idea it was if some of them was in smash and now I wouldn't mind almost any character and may even support them (such as shantae, sora, ayami, b&k, Issac, Geno, reimu etc...)

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Yeah, but allowing people to step all over this thread like a doormat isn't much better. Besides, the best way to not support a particular character is to simply not pay any attention to them.

How are we letting others step all over us? The only non-supporter I really see is CJBrine (unless I'm wrong and he actually is a supporter) and all he's doing is defending Steve and/or talking about him as an actual fan and not a troll whose sole reasons for wanting Steve is to stop Shantae and/or to piggyback off off Dark Lord Vergeben.

Last edited:
Top Bottom