• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

DerErlenkonig

Smash Cadet
I have to admit, I would be perfectly fine with Steve in Smash. Do I want him in before B&K? Not at all, but I would welcome him in like any third party. Helps that he has history with Nintendo and is one of the most popular and successful games of all time.
For me, I hate Steve because he's so stiff and vacant. People always bring up GnW as a rebuttal, but Sakurai made it work because there was a huge amount of minigames and animations to work with. The jittery style makes sense. Steve is just so... static. Which is fine for minecraft but doesn't lend itself to a friggin fighting game.

Either we get a character with a grand total of 4 points of articulation, or they go the Telltale route and give him weird bendy arms and legs, which is both unfaithful and frankly, super ugly.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I say SHANTAE and BANJO are locks to 2 new 3rd party franchises and studios.

WHOSE WITH ME?!?
I cannot said Lock, but high chances. its so hard to predict how Sakurai will act,

Now, with Reimu on the voting, I will say if either Shantae or Reimu gets in.... its hard to see the other getting in as well in base roster.

D

Deleted member

I cannot said Lock, but high chances. its so hard to predict how Sakurai will act,

Now, with Reimu on the voting, I will say if either Shantae or Reimu gets in.... its hard to see the other getting in as well in base roster.
But I thought Reimu was not on Nintendo platforms and wasn’t on the ballot

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
For me, no character is a lock. You can't ever be to certain. And I feel arguing Steve's exspressiveness is kinda an uphill battle. Sakurai has proven time and time again that he can make something out of seemingly nothing, be it movesets or personality. Not only in G&W, but with ROB and his moveset and personality(With his own stiffness), as well as updating many sorta blank character into much more entertaining personas. Before Smash, Captain Falcon was just some driver that was more remembered for his car than anything. Now he is one of the most iconic characters in the Smash community. I just feel like Sakurai can make Steve work.

zferolie

Smash Hero
But I thought Reimu was not on Nintendo platforms and wasn’t on the ballot
Like Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy said, cloud was never on a nintendo system, yet here we are. Plus while Sakurai is taking some from the ballot i'm sure not everyone was from it. Daisy, Simon and Richter, Incineroar if hes in, most likely didn't place high.

Plus Touhou is a gaming legacy in Japan

D

Deleted member

For me, no character is a lock. You can't ever be to certain. And I feel arguing Steve's exspressiveness is kinda an uphill battle. Sakurai has proven time and time again that he can make something out of seemingly nothing, be it movesets or personality. Not only in G&W, but with ROB and his moveset and personality(With his own stiffness), as well as updating many sorta blank character into much more entertaining personas. Before Smash, Captain Falcon was just some driver that was more remembered for his car than anything. Now he is one of the most iconic characters in the Smash community. I just feel like Sakurai can make Steve work.
I don’t think so pal....
39142A68-37DE-400B-A955-7781C7BCF665.png

Like Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy said, cloud was never on a nintendo system, yet here we are. Plus while Sakurai is taking some from the ballot i'm sure not everyone was from it. Daisy, Simon and Richter, Incineroar if hes in, most likely didn't place high.

Plus Touhou is a gaming legacy in Japan
Didn’t you forget that cloud was supposed to represent the FF series which debuted on a Nintendo system? He chose him because he be more fitting instead of the others

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I don’t think so pal....
View attachment 171283

Didn’t you forget that cloud was supposed to represent the FF series which debuted on a Nintendo system? He chose him because he be more fitting instead of the others
I never said anythig bad about B&K. In fact, I said in my post before that I would not want Steve before B&K, just that I think Steve can work and he and his fans really do not deserve the amount of hate they get.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I don’t think so pal....
View attachment 171283

I didn't forget that. Yeah thats why they went with him, but then you can say that as long as a character is representing something important in the gaming world then that works. Touhou IS important in japan, and so far every character is smash either came from a Japanese company, or the license was made originally by a japanese company.

Just saying, one cannot just vote touhou out as no chance. The chance is much lower then Shantae but she has a chance

hassoutobi

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5344-2558-0842
Switch FC
SW 7858-1447-7386
I say SHANTAE and BANJO are locks to 2 new 3rd party franchises and studios.

WHOSE WITH ME?!?
i mean, i don't wanna sound over-confident... but im 100% convinced Shantae is in the game to be quite honest until one of her detractors provides me with a solid counter-argument for Wayforward's completely uncharacteristic silence, especially when deconfirming Shantae and quelling unnecessary hype if she didn't get in would make more common sense and is a thing Wayforward would do considering their relationship and respect for their fans.

tl;dr, i'm with you. especially since top tier ballot picks have been a recurring theme with the newcomers we've been treated to.

DerErlenkonig

Smash Cadet
I never said anythig bad about B&K. In fact, I said in my post before that I would not want Steve before B&K, just that I think Steve can work and he and his fans really do not deserve the amount of hate they get.
I've got nothing against fans of Steve. I get wanting the most successful indie franchise of all time to get represented in Smash. I would happily welcome ATs or a stage. Minecraft deserves some degree of content for sure.

I just don't see any viable way to implement him as a character. Sakurai loves to be as faithful as possible and being faithful means a completely stiff character, unlike any other in the game. Conveyance in animation is such a fundamental aspect of fighting games and Steve has virtually none.

D

Deleted member

I've got nothing against fans of Steve. I get wanting the most successful indie franchise of all time to get represented in Smash. I would happily welcome ATs or a stage. Minecraft deserves some degree of content for sure.

I just don't see any viable way to implement him as a character. Sakurai loves to be as faithful as possible and being faithful means a completely stiff character, unlike any other in the game. Conveyance in animation is such a fundamental aspect of fighting games and Steve has virtually none.
Yes all I’m trying to say is I don’t want him as a fighter over banjo

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

I can understand that. I will say, it can be a little uncomfortable when you see a thread being so negative about another character, especially one you like. I can never go on the Skull Kid thread without feeling nervous because I know that the thread creator is vehemently opposed to Geno, so it felt awkward.

Black Magician

Smash Apprentice
Did I ever ask to be added to the supporters list? I usually just lurk, and I don't remember if I got around to it.

Dukefire

Smash Master
45 Days Remaining

Of course, I will only do this once a day. Also, if you have any official news from nintendo, bring it up.

P.S: Please make sure it is official before making your move. Hype can make you easily fooled if not inspected fully.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Umm... sure, yeah.

But, you kind of left out that in the second one, the thingamabob in between her boobs, is much darker on the right, than it is on the left. And, the device which is holding her hair into a ponytail in the third one, is dark on one side, not on the other.

DING DING DING!

Not just yet. ;)
Just been corrected, thanks for catching those

D

Deleted member

Please tell me he’s just copying verge:(

Mod Edit: Link removed

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Please tell me he’s just copying verge:(

Mod edit: Link removed
It's not like Steve would steal anyone's slot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean if Sakurai negotiated a third-party, he's gonna add them in so the money isn't wasted. I really dislike how toxic people are using that ugly Steve render to bash other characters, when they could just put Steve alongside them instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Look I know we all went off of a bad start today I just want to say I’m sorry for posting this blockhead in a support thread I hope you all forgive me:(

Top Bottom