• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I thought that Shantae image was fanmade, it seems familiar.

However, I'm not entirely sure; I think a Shantae website-thing was made by a fan on the smashbros subreddit, but it may have been a different model.

Regardless, website images are easy to fake:
legit leak.PNG

Last edited:

Mario9919

Smash Apprentice
I feel like that argument is nullified by the fact he's got a fully realized moveset in ALL of the Fighting games he's playable in.
That's because those indie fighters made stuff up for Shovel Knight.

Honestly, Shovel Knight can't do much. He can just dig and fish.

Shantae has a lot of moves and transformations that Sakurai can make a moveset out of.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Which in knowing that, that should mean Shantae has higher than normal chance of making the roster, right?

That depends, but I will say that Shantae is very expressive, has a definite fan following (both in the West, and in Japan. This is a key difference between her and Shovel Knight), has a lot of potential for a moveset, and we wouldn't be the 2nd most popular newcomer thread if nobody wanted her, would we? ;p

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
I don't think that post is a reference to anything, and frankly I'd prefer Shadow over Metal. Both are kinda over represented in the Sonic series anyways, but at least with Shadow he's consistently different enough visually than Sonic to have some sense of variety. Plus Shadow has a history with Smash, Metal does not.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I’m not the most well-versed on the Sonic universe, but calling Shadow a pallete swap is a bit of a disservice. Both he and Sonic are the same species, so of course they will look similar. But for what I’ve seen their moveset and fighting styles are radically different (Tails is closer to Sonic in that regard). Heck, Shadow doesn’t actually run, he skates with his special set of shoes.

It really makes me wonder if Shadow is indeed the Sonic echo, given he has quite the potential for being a semi-clone or even unique. Maybe he’ll get Isabelle’d?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I don't know. It looks far too real to be a fake.
I don't it's real. It's well done. But it looks like whoever made it based their render heavily on her charagumin figure (remember that ArtsyOmin made his infamous leak by alerting the smash 4 Rayman trophy)

Anyway even if it doesn't look like they actually photoshopped the actual figure, rather they used it as the base for an original drawing, they still kept the same pose who's is the big issue. Remember, that art is the post they use for a characters in game trophy and amiibo. If Shantae is getting in the game, she is getting an amiibo. And if she gets an amiibo why would they use the exact same pose as the only other figure if her on the market?

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
I don't it's real. It's well done. But it looks like whoever made it based their render heavily on her charagumin figure (remember that ArtsyOmin made his infamous leak by alerting the smash 4 Rayman trophy)

Anyway even if it doesn't look like they actually photoshopped the actual figure, rather they used it as the base for an original drawing, they still kept the same pose who's is the big issue. Remember, that art is the post they use for a characters in game trophy and amiibo. If Shantae is getting in the game, she is getting an amiibo. And if she gets an amiibo why would they use the exact same pose as the only other figure if her on the market?
I think he was being ironic :p

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Something that'll make me infamous: Waluigi actually has no real expressive personality that isn't simply derived from being Wario's lackey. Then again, Dark Samus isn't actually all that expressive, either. It's just a space virus taking the form of the world's most powerful bounty hunter and running with it.
How does Wario's lackey translat into dancer who poses with roses in his mouth?

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I’m not the most well-versed on the Sonic universe, but calling Shadow a pallete swap is a bit of a disservice. Both he and Sonic are the same species, so of course they will look similar. But for what I’ve seen their moveset and fighting styles are radically different (Tails is closer to Sonic in that regard). Heck, Shadow doesn’t actually run, he skates with his special set of shoes.

It really makes me wonder if Shadow is indeed the Sonic echo, given he has quite the potential for being a semi-clone or even unique. Maybe he’ll get Isabelle’d?
Thing is though...
1. The only other hedgehog we've seen in the series (Amy) actually has a unique design and doesn't look like a clone.
2. Shadow is an artificial lifeform that was created hundreds of years ago, aka before Sonic was even born.
So unlike characters like Dark Samus or the SA-X, Shadow has no excuse to look like Sonic.
3. Don't even try to argue that Shadow doesn't look like Sonic. It's the plot of Sonic Adventure 2.

Overall, it would help if we could finally see more of Sonic's race and see if they really look all similar.
But given that Amy looks so much different from Sonic, despite being a hedgehog too, I'd bet that hedgehogs are much more diverse in design.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Probably means nothing...

When was the last time Christina retweeted/liked anything Smash related before that one tweet was sent out?
Nothing I can dig up outside of the whole IMDB debacle. The ONLY thing I can find is the tweet I sent her that had Shantae fighting Sonic with the "SMASH!" caption on it that she "liked".

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
I mean, Christina Vee is a fairly high-profile voice actress at this point, so she likely knows pretty well how to follow NDA contracts (As she is likely under one as well. Heck, I remember Xander Mobus, the announcer since Smash 4, saying he was not only under an NDA, but he also didn't even know the fighter cast himself due to a ton of random names that weren't actually in there.)

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Thing is though...
1. The only other hedgehog we've seen in the series (Amy) actually has a unique design and doesn't look like a clone.
2. Shadow is an artificial lifeform that was created hundreds of years ago, aka before Sonic was even born.
So unlike characters like Dark Samus or the SA-X, Shadow has no excuse to look like Sonic.
3. Don't even try to argue that Shadow doesn't look like Sonic. It's the plot of Sonic Adventure 2.

Overall, it would help if we could finally see more of Sonic's race and see if they really look all similar.
But given that Amy looks so much different from Sonic, despite being a hedgehog too, I'd bet that hedgehogs are much more diverse in design.
In the case of Amy, look at her original design from Sonic CD where she basically is a Sonic pallette swap. It wasn’t until she got redesigned later on that she got a more unique look. And as far as hedgehogs go, there’s also Silver.

Not gonna argue the rest of your post since it seems you didn’t even bother to read mine in full. I completely acknowledged that Sonic and Shadow look similar, so it seems you’re just arguing for the sake of having a different opinion, and I don’t consider that to be actual debate.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
What has this have to do with smash?
It doesn’t have shantae nor smash it’s just someone recreating Sonics victory pose without the words smash.

It’s just nothing. moving on!
Wrong! It's a video of someone recreating MANY of the Fighter's victory poses.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't see Shadow as a palette swap; they have similarities in design, but that's all. Colors are completely different, and Shadow's spikes are different as well as his shoes and such. Characters confusing Shadow for the Blue Blur is a silly plot-thing imo.

Also, Sonic doesn't use guns :troll:

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
In the case of Amy, look at her original design from Sonic CD where she basically is a Sonic pallette swap. It wasn’t until she got redesigned later on that she got a more unique look. And as far as hedgehogs go, there’s also Silver.

Not gonna argue the rest of your post since it seems you didn’t even bother to read mine in full. I completely acknowledged that Sonic and Shadow look similar, so it seems you’re just arguing for the sake of having a different opinion, and I don’t consider that to be actual debate.
Amy did get an original design in the end though.
Which can't really be said for Shadow.

And honestly, I completely forgot about Silver...

The post I made wasn't just directed at you, but to any potential readers as well.
And let's just say, I was expecting some stuff to come up...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Since it's a month of dress-up, I may as well post this pic I've seen floating around of our gals dressed as another iconic pair:

1476525963609.jpg

I mean, no joke, having Shantae as Yuri is really on pat there.

I see you are a man of culture as well.
Make that three of us.

At the end of the day though, we have no idea what direction they'll take with playable Sonic characters, if any, so it's all pure conjecture.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Also, Sonic doesn't use guns :troll:
Funny story actually, do you know of the character E-102 Gamma from Sonic Adventure and how his gameplay style revolves around shooting? I believe the reason for that is because before SA came out fans wanted a Sonic game where you can shoot but Sega/Sonic Team decided to create Gamma as a middle ground because they thought it would’ve been unorthodox to give a Sonic character a gun.

Isn’t it funny how times change?

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Since it's a month of dress-up, I may as well post this pic I've seen floating around of our gals dressed as another iconic pair:

View attachment 171159

Make that three of us.

At the end of the day though, we have no idea what direction they'll take with playable Sonic characters, if any, so it's all pure conjecture.
Zoinks who are they dressing up as?

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Honestly, if I had the ability to choose, I would pick Blaze as Sonic’s echo, but I’d accept either Shadow it Metal either way
Oh I'd choose Blaze in a heartbeat, she's one of the best Sonic characters both in design and personality. But it's probably gonna be Shadow which is a good choice on it's own.
Thing is though...

Most Sonic characters look similar, and going off various other hedgehogs in the games (silver) and in comics (way too many to name) most of them look very similar to Sonic. Plus if it's an issue of Shadow looking too similar why would you want Metal Sonic in his place than? Metal is literally just a metal version of Sonic.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Emphasis on "inspiration".

The ballot isn't the only deciding factor for who makes it into Smash.
That's why I believe Sakurai would have chosen Shantae over Shovel Knight for the roster because of her seniority, greater moveset potential, and her personality.

Is Shantae a "high-demand character" compared to Isaac and Geno, and does she have a moveset that makes sense for her?
I would say she's right behind them.

View attachment 171159

Make that three of us.

So would this team be called The Rotty Pair?

Top Bottom