• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
This. Not only is there no such thing as "reps" (stating there are too many Capcom reps is ridiculous), but while Sakurai has said that there were certain characters influenced by the ballot I doubt Richter was one of those. Isabelle was an assist trophy at the time, so it's unlikely she fared very well on the ballot as well.
Either way, when it comes to Assist Trophies, remember the following:
They aren't given to characters that would've been fighters as consolation prize for time constraints or anything like that.
Characters that are Assist Trophies wouldn't have been fighters in the game in the first place.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Since Phoenix Wright is still not playable, there’s no such thing as “too many Capcom reps”.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
this is a very interesting and agreeable analysis. with this in mind, however, why do you think it is that shovel knight was chosen to be an assist trophy as opposed to a playable fighter?
Only Sakurai knows for sure.

But my guess is that Shovel Knight didn't have enough of a movepool to make a complete Smash-moveset.
Maybe there are other factors as well. Only one game, lack of expression/no visible personality, generic knight-theme, etc.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
And there were some people over on BillyBo's Discord account whom legit thinks that the Ballot was made for children and casual gamers.
Also, I'm sorry TOY, but you have a nasty habit of twisting our words to make them fit your "worst case scenario apocalyptic" schpiels and you need to stop that.
I'm sorry if it came across that way. I must've not fully understood what Paragon was saying.

Sorry for Double Posting.

Last edited:

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Only Sakurai knows for sure.
But my guess is that Shovel Knight didn't have enough of a movepool to make a complete Smash-moveset.
Maybe there are other factors as well. Only one game, lack of expression/no visible personality, generic knight-theme, etc.
I feel like that argument is nullified by the fact he's got a fully realized moveset in ALL of the Fighting games he's playable in.

Ahh, wouldn't Nights would be a really cool Sega rep? :)
How about Beat (Jet Set Radio) or even Ryo Hazuki (Shenmue)?

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Not sure if this means anything, but apparently Cristina got some surprise voice work this morning. No context was given.
https://twitter.com/CristinaVee/status/1054416071090786304
It's not Smash related at least. I'm pretty sure Ultimate has already gone gold in terms of development due to it having an E10+ rating from the ESRB already and we're down to 1 and a half months until launch. The date when Cristina said she wrapped up recording on a game was already pushing it as I expected all the voice work to have been done by that point anyway.

Keep in mind that even if the Cristina hint means nothing, that doesn't mean she didn't do voice acting for Smash. That would just mean she didn't tease her involvement.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
hrm, true. my hope for shantae has still gone up a bit regardless, but this is also a good point non the less.
Maybe Sakurai REALLY VALUES expressive characters that have a unique personality over generic ones (sorry, but Villager and Isabelle ARE indeed expressive).

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
I still wanna see either Sega, Namco or Square get a second unique rep before Capcom get their third (and no :ultbayonetta: doesn’t count for Sega anymore)
I feel the only Sega rep that can actually happen is Kiryu from Yakuza, and that's only cause it's the only franchise that Sega cares about that isn't Sonic.

D

Deleted member

this is a very interesting and agreeable analysis. with this in mind, however, why do you think it is that shovel knight was chosen to be an assist trophy as opposed to a playable fighter?
It’s because of this
8DCEFA25-01A2-42A1-B3A5-CD221155C967.jpeg

hassoutobi

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5344-2558-0842
Switch FC
SW 7858-1447-7386
Maybe Sakurai REALLY VALUES expressive characters that have a unique personality over generic ones (sorry, but Villager and Isabelle ARE indeed expressive).
its.... probable. that could be supported by the charismatic echo fighter choices we've been treated to, daisy, richter, and chrom all being decently expressive characters in their source material. you could also argue waluigi was relegated to being an assist for both reasons, as not only does he have a low amount of moveset potential due to the lack of non-sports game appearances, but his general personality can generally be seen as an uninteresting cross between wario's and luigi's.

(just theory though.)

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
its.... probable. that could be supported by the charismatic echo fighter choices we've been treated to, daisy, richter, and chrom all being decently expressive characters in their source material. you could also argue waluigi was relegated to being an assist for both reasons, as not only does he have a low amount of moveset potential due to the lack of non-sports game appearances, but his general personality can generally be seen as an uninteresting cross between wario's and luigi's.

(just theory though.)
Something that'll make me infamous: Waluigi actually has no real expressive personality that isn't simply derived from being Wario's lackey. Then again, Dark Samus isn't actually all that expressive, either. It's just a space virus taking the form of the world's most powerful bounty hunter and running with it.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace

(just theory though.)
That's rather interesting. However, I HIGHLY doubt Shantae's personality and moveset potential would've screamed "ASSIST TROPHY" to Sakurai. In fact, a LOT of Nintendo/Japanese devs like Shantae (The artists from Pokemon, WarioWare, Disgaea, and Eiji Aonuma who produced Breath of the Wild), so it's VERY POSSIBLE that Sakurai took a liking to her as well!

So the Sonic twitter just posted what some people see as a hint (look at the website metal is trying to access) towards Metal Sonic in Smash. What do you guys think? Personally, I think it's possible, the Sonic twitter is absolutely no stranger to dropping hints and Metal could easily be an echo fighter. Also it doubles as being very unexpected since everyone thinks only Shadow or Tails will be playable.

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1054428280856576001

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
So the Sonic twitter just posted what some people see as a hint (look at the website metal is trying to access) towards Metal Sonic in Smash. What do you guys think? Personally, I think it's possible, the Sonic twitter is absolutely no stranger to dropping hints and Metal could easily be an echo fighter. Also it doubles as being very unexpected since everyone thinks only Shadow or Tails will be playable.

I 110% APPROVE of Metal being Sonic's echo!

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

I'm not opposed to the idea...

if only it debunks all these fake leaks!

inb4 every "leak" starts throwing in Metal Sonic

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
No, I'm asking legitimately.
Naaaaaah, brah. It's fake as hell. Looks very fan made. Not a lot of detail at all.

If this was real, I'd lowkey be disappointed. Lmao. If she's in, she's gonna look a hell of a lot nicer than that. It's good... but not Sakurai good, y'know.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Then again, Dark Samus isn't actually all that expressive, either. It's just a space virus taking the form of the world's most powerful bounty hunter and running with it.
Well, I guess the situation could be different when it comes to echo fighters? Maybe, it's only with newcomers where their expressiveness matters?

I do not dislike this idea too much, anyway. :)

Also, I'm prepared for him to switch places with Shadow, when it comes to fake leaks. :p

hassoutobi

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5344-2558-0842
Switch FC
SW 7858-1447-7386
Waluigi actually has no real expressive personality that isn't simply derived from being Wario's lackey.
not a very infamous/hot take considering that is what he was created to be. not at all sure how the character amassed this many fans when his purpose is just as you described. but i wouldn't want to turn this into a waluigi hate thread so i will stop here.

ah, it is indeed true that the NCC argument hasn't really been refuted yet. Wayforward is incredibly keen on having Shantae appear and crossover with other indies. it's still very suspicious she's specifically missing from fighting games.

Which are completely different games, developed by different people.
ah, this is a somewhat strong and agreeable counter-argument that i hadn't considered. developing a fighter for blade strangers or indie pogo is wildly different from developing a fighter for smash, especially when, as you pointed out, sakurai looks specifically and only for reference material from their games to base their movesets on top of (i.e. Little Mac's moveset only being realizable after a new Punchout title giving him new tools and abilities). other indie fighters, especially blade strangers are not as accurate to source material as smash likes to be and usually tries to capture a more over-the-top vibe when you consider the umihara kawase characters as well as the cave story characters and shovel knight's re-design.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

It's possible he could be in Smash, but that's just a silly comic...

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
ah, it is indeed true that the NCC argument hasn't really been refuted yet. Wayforward is incredibly keen on having Shantae appear and crossover with other indies. it's still very suspicious she's specifically missing from fighting games.
The ONLY crossover she's been in lately (that's new, not a port) is Blaster Master Zero, and that was a more than a year ago.

It's possible he could be in Smash, but that's just a silly comic...
If this were ANY other company I'd agree with you but the Sonic twitter is notorious for dropping hints about their future projects (check out the "More Clues" video if you haven't seen it before https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfW6L6ZQ-Uk) and they've recently started putting hints in their ****posts again. While it's fairly likely this isn't for Smash and is possibly for an upcoming Sonic game, this is definitely a hint towards something.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
If this were ANY other company I'd agree with you but the Sonic twitter is notorious for dropping hints about their future projects (check out the "More Clues" video if you haven't seen it before https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfW6L6ZQ-Uk) and they've recently started putting hints in their ****posts again. While it's fairly likely this isn't for Smash and is possibly for an upcoming Sonic game, this is definitely a hint towards something.
Yeah, and Team Sonic Racing still has 3 UNANNOUNCED characters left to be revealed, and it's rumored that Metal Sonic is one of them.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I wouldn't mind Metal Sonic over shadow. Honestly either is good. Metal Sonic could be more Lucina Echo like then Shadow would be, who would have to be more Chrom echo like.

Plus Metal Sonic fits more of a villain role then Shadow does for spirits mode

Last edited:

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
I wouldn't mind Metal Sonic over shadow. Honestly either is good. Metal Sonic could be more Lucina Echo like then Shadow would be, who would have to be more Chrom echo like.

Plus Metal Sonic fits more of a villain role then Shadow does for spirits mode
Yeah, Shadow is more of a rival to Sonic than a villian. Metal fits that role perfectly.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Not to mention Metal beats palette swap any day in terms of design.
Shadow's a LOT more than a palette swap, and not just in design. He can do some Dragon Ball level stuff, such as the Chaos Spear and Chaos Blast. He also is able to warp in and out of space, and even has a sick chopper!

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Shadow's a LOT more than a palette swap, and not just in design. He can do some Dragon Ball level stuff, such as the Chaos Spear and Chaos Blast. He also is able to warp in and out of space, and even has a sick chopper!
And this is supposed to make a good character?
Color Super Sonic black, give him some generic Shonen-stuff and call it a day?

Anyway, Slot-Argument is stupid.
Shantae's chances are still good.
End of story!

zferolie

Smash Hero
Thats the thing that hurts him most for an echo, Shadow does have a ton of his own moves, and even a unique run animation. Have echos gotten unique run animations yet? I feel like maybe Dark Samus so its possible? But even then, only replacing Up B with Teleport to be more shadow like is not as great of a reputation.

Its kinda like Dixie. Yeah she can work as an echo, and she is only getting in the base game if she is an echo, but being Isabelle or Dr Mario levels of clone(Semi-clone) would be best for her. Probably best for Shadow as well.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
People need to remember the qualities of a fighter that make them easier to create, and offer a reason for them to be added. Popularity justifying a forced moveset and personality is not how Sakurai works, and there has to be more to use to make them a fully-realized fighter. In Ultimate, personality is everything, and even characters without a face like Game-and-Watch has a ton of personality due to the style of his animations, and as someone mention before, even characters that entirely exist to be controlled by a player are given a realistic personality within Smash, such as Villager or Pokemon Trainer!

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
People need to remember the qualities of a fighter that make them easier to create, and offer a reason for them to be added. Popularity justifying a forced moveset and personality is not how Sakurai works, and there has to be more to use to make them a fully-realized fighter. In Ultimate, personality is everything, and even characters without a face like Game-and-Watch has a ton of personality due to the style of his animations, and as someone mention before, even characters that entirely exist to be controlled by a player are given a realistic personality within Smash, such as Villager or Pokemon Trainer!
Which in knowing that, that should mean Shantae has higher than normal chance of making the roster, right?

Last edited:
Top Bottom