• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
When I look at your profile though, I understand it like this...
That you're not directly part of the team, but an artist they've hired.
Um...I think I know my position at my own job :4pacman:
Anyway the point is that Shantae is not being added to the Skullgirls Switch port, something like that would have been made public if it were the case, Lab Zero is too busy working on Inidivisible to invest on a new Skullgirls character.
EDIT: and Shantae was confirmed to be in Indivisible back in like 2014
CSSX6Vo.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What I think in the meeting with James was maybe Matt was with him and they saw the Japanese reveal for shantae and Cristina recorded lines which took so long and sended some for Nintendo for shantaes reveal in the u.s and that explans why the blog posts were missing during the nindies and she Finished those lines after all the grunting and other stuff maybe for a stage hazard and since she didn't get revealed yet she had to keep it a secret.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Anyway the point is that Shantae is not being added to the Skullgirls Switch port, something like that would have been made public if it were the case, Lab Zero is too busy working on Inidivisible to invest on a new Skullgirls character.
View attachment 167242
My first thought: what the heck is "Indivisible"?

My second thought after a quick Google search: why haven't I been paying more attention to this game?

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Hold up, there were missed blog posts around the time of the Nindies, or am I misunderstanding what you're implying?

Also, I don't know if there's a support list in here, but I'm fully a believer that she's made it in. Put me in if I'm not already there. I really can't discount WF's silence and the whole Jammies mode theme going on, as well as that ending. THAT was a fully loaded comment not unlike Rodin's request letter in Bayonetta 2's tease.

Last edited:

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Nice! Oh! Makai Wars Makai Wars , I've been meaning to ask, are they ever going to deal with the unfinished story for Skullgirls? I've gotten into that game trying to figure out what the true timeline is. I'm guessing I should be looking for events that happen in every storyline regardless of outcome of the fights? Feel free to DM me to keep this from derailing things.

To keep things on track, has anyone else seen other clues pointing towards Shantae's inclusion? I'm curious if there's anything I missed.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Makai Wars Makai Wars What is her role in that game exactly ? Does she have some dialogue/story, or is she just a bland helper ?
She gets me interested in the game, which seems cool ^^
I think she's sort of an "guest incarnation" of Ajna, so she's playable in the sense that she'll fight with you in battle. She may figure in the story in some way, though that may require more collaboration with WayForward to make the Shantae mini-arc organic to both the Shantae continuity and Indivisible's continuity.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
View attachment 167242
Something I find interesting about that artwork. Blaster Master Zero's Shantae artwork is a realistic-anime approach to her 1/2 Genie Hero appearance. This is a realistic-anime approach to her Risky's Revenge appearance! Kind of a neat touch. I wonder how she gets to the world of Indivisible. Warp Dance gone awry?

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Yeah?
I thought this was established ages ago?

I'm not allowed to talk about my love for Rotty that much anymore, which is really hard on me. :(
I have to talk about "Shantae" instead...
Your previous post made it sound like you actually cared for poor little Shantae ^^
It's ok to have favorites, but...

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

So Minecon came and went with nary a hint of Smash. Would've been an opportune time to announce that thing, so I think Steve is out of the running.

Thank Sakurai...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah?
I thought this was established ages ago?

I'm not allowed to talk about my love for Rotty that much anymore, which is really hard on me. :(
I have to talk about "Shantae" instead...
Look at it this way, at least it's better to have a backup character to talk about compared to Graizen being shut down whenever he brings up Agumon in the general.

Your previous post made it sound like you actually cared for poor little Shantae ^^
Now now, let's not start guilt-tripping. It's fine for some people to like certain characters more than others, but a support thread is not the place for this kind of behavior, is all.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I do like Shantae, but nowhere near to the extent as Rotty!

I'm worried now.
Please forgive me.

Look at it this way, at least it's better to have a backup character to talk about compared to Graizen being shut down whenever he brings up Agumon in the general.
That still makes me loving Rotty seem like a bad thing.
I care for her.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So Minecon came and went with nary a hint of Smash. Would've been an opportune time to announce that thing, so I think Steve is out of the running.

Thank Sakurai...
I think Minecraft may show up in the next direct, but whether or not we get Steve I'm not sure. Other people have been saying it was silly to expect a Smash announcement as it would overshadow the convention (so I guess I was dumb as I was hoping for an announcement Embarrass).

tbh I don't see him (or any character) affecting another's chances.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I do like Shantae, but nowhere near to the extent as Rotty!

I'm worried now.
Please forgive me.

That still makes me loving Rotty seem like a bad thing.
I care for her.
Well, to be fair, it's kind of expected to talk about a certain character more than a different one from the same series when in a support thread for the former. If this were the "Shantae and Rottytops" support thread, things would be different. And there's no rule that says "you are only allowed to talk about the support thread's character", otherwise it'd be forbidden to bring up Diddy Kong or anyone else from the DKC series in Dixie's thread, for example.

At the end of the day, we all just need to hype responsibly. :)

Dukefire

Smash Master

I don't have anything say about shantae for now, but I'll leave this as a replacement.

I hope to let it lighten the mood from the stress for some time.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Well, to be fair, it's kind of expected to talk about a certain character more than a different one from the same series when in a support thread for the former. If this were the "Shantae and Rottytops" support thread, things would be different. And there's no rule that says "you are only allowed to talk about the support thread's character", otherwise it'd be forbidden to bring up Diddy Kong or anyone else from the DKC series in Dixie's thread, for example.

At the end of the day, we all just need to hype responsibly. :)
So, I should just stop posting altogether?
How do I not ever bring up Rotty again? :(

Last edited:

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman

Thank Sakurai...
I'm...not sure why you expected Minecon to reveal Steve as a playable character for Smash. If its the same for Shantae for an NDA, we should assume even the team behind Minecraft are under the same contract. So until Nintendo announces him, he's still in the running.

Unfortunately...

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord

Thank Sakurai...
You actually expected a Smash announcement from a Minecraft-centric convention? That's rather foolish from the Microsoft perspective, because why give Nintendo free advertisement? They may be buddy-buddy, but they're still rivals in the video game department.

Shadowknight1

I think Minecraft may show up in the next direct, but whether or not we get Steve I'm not sure. Other people have been saying it was silly to expect a Smash announcement as it would overshadow the convention (so I guess I was dumb as I was hoping for an announcement Embarrass).

tbh I don't see him (or any character) affecting another's chances.
I just don't see it happening. I've already suggested that a Mii Fighter costume(with Steve's head being a mask) would be the best way to rep Minecraft since the character really brings nothing interesting. And I think a convention devoted to Minecraft would not have been overshadowed by a Smash announcement. On the contrary, I think the convention hall would've erupted bigger than Mt. St. Helens. I think Minecon was Steve's "one shot" and it didn't happen. And yes, he would have affected other character's chances. Specifically Banjo and Kazooie. Both are owned by Microsoft. Nintendo's not going to shell out the money for both, and Banjo & Kazooie have been requested like crazy.

To be honest, I see only three or four unique fighters left, then maybe three or four echoes. My predictions are:
1. Shantae. Even if she has a lower chance than some others, her chances are incredibly good for an indie character and she's my most wanted.
2. Geno. Everyone and their mother wants him and I think he could be pretty cool, even though I've never played Super Mario RPG myself.
3. Banjo & Kazooie. Probably the most talked about possibility and I hope it happens. I think they'd be neat, though a bittersweet reminder that there will never be a Banjo Kazooie game on a Nintendo platform again.

Echoes:
1. Dixie Kong. I think a unique fighter would be better, but I can see her working as a Diddy echo, and lots of people want her. And yay for more female fighters!
2. Shadow. I don't really care one way or another, but I see this happening.
3. Ken. Same feelings for Ken as I have for Shadow.

NOT GONNA HAPPEN:
1. Skull Kid. Sorry, he's not going to be a fighter. They took what would've been a fantastic Final Smash for him and made it an Assist Trophy. With that in mind, I can't really come up with anything for him.
2. Doom Slayer/Doom Guy. I just can't see this character transitioning into Smash Bros.
3. Goku. It hurts my brain that people ACTUALLY voted for him in the ballot. To quote Grant from Team Four Star in one of his few lines in DBZ Abridged: "Yeah, **** Goku!"

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Not buying that. Why not tell us if she's not in? They know that the fans want Shantae in Smash, so why string the hope for this long? Why flat out ignore Smash-related questions? I'm confident they would have told us if she's not in. WF is not the type of company that would string the fans along this long.
Yeah, I'm tired of the "Maybe they don't want to get people's hopes up" argument. There is a difference between not wanting to get people's hopes up and complete radio silence. If indeed she wasn't in the game they could simply say something like "We'd jump at the chance to include Shantae if asked by Nintendo" and then just leave it at that. Which is exactly what the Makers of Mighty Gunvolt did. https://mobile.twitter.com/IntiCrea...m/threads/gunvolt-strikes-into-battle.447475/

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
I just don't see it happening. I've already suggested that a Mii Fighter costume(with Steve's head being a mask) would be the best way to rep Minecraft since the character really brings nothing interesting. And I think a convention devoted to Minecraft would not have been overshadowed by a Smash announcement. On the contrary, I think the convention hall would've erupted bigger than Mt. St. Helens. I think Minecon was Steve's "one shot" and it didn't happen. And yes, he would have affected other character's chances. Specifically Banjo and Kazooie. Both are owned by Microsoft. Nintendo's not going to shell out the money for both, and Banjo & Kazooie have been requested like crazy.

To be honest, I see only three or four unique fighters left, then maybe three or four echoes. My predictions are:
1. Shantae. Even if she has a lower chance than some others, her chances are incredibly good for an indie character and she's my most wanted.
2. Geno. Everyone and their mother wants him and I think he could be pretty cool, even though I've never played Super Mario RPG myself.
3. Banjo & Kazooie. Probably the most talked about possibility and I hope it happens. I think they'd be neat, though a bittersweet reminder that there will never be a Banjo Kazooie game on a Nintendo platform again.

Echoes:
1. Dixie Kong. I think a unique fighter would be better, but I can see her working as a Diddy echo, and lots of people want her. And yay for more female fighters!

NOT GONNA HAPPEN:
1. Skull Kid. Sorry, he's not going to be a fighter. They took what would've been a fantastic Final Smash for him and made it an Assist Trophy. With that in mind, I can't really come up with anything for him.
2. Doom Slayer/Doom Guy. I just can't see this character transitioning into Smash Bros.
3. Goku. It hurts my brain that people ACTUALLY voted for him in the ballot. To quote Grant from Team Four Star in one of his few lines in DBZ Abridged: "Yeah, **** Goku!"
What would be your No. 4's?
My personal list would be
1. Shantae
2. Banjo and Kazooie
3. Either Geno or Isaac
4. (and this is my dream meme team character) a TF2 rep. For the basis that I'm a Valve ****boi. And that I want to just see an alternative timeline where this somehow happens.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Echoes:

NOT GONNA HAPPEN:
I was just thinking Minecraft may show up in a direct due to how Nintendo always saves info related to their games in directs; even at EVO it was just a direct announcement, as I've learned recently.

By "chances" I just meant a character wouldn't take away another character's chances in regards to the present, as Sakurai and his team already have a list of planned characters, and nothing we do changes it until we get another ballot. Basically, I'm just tired of people seeming to put down other characters; it's not even just Steve, though he has been a target for some recently :(

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
1. Shantae
2. Banjo and Kazooie
3. Either Geno or Isaac
4. (and this is my dream meme team character) a TF2 rep. For the basis that I'm a Valve ****boi. And that I want to just see an alternative timeline where this somehow happens.
1. Rottytops (Wait a minute...)
2. Shantae (That sounds about right!)
3. Geno (Puppet Boy)
4. Isaac (Adept Boy)

Oh, and the only Valve character I would want in Smash is Wheatley. :D

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thank Sakurai...
Yes thank you sakurai and goodbye steve? ! also shantaes chances are not low she has a great chance for the base roster you just got to believe!

Like me!

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Assuming that Steve is no longer in the running just because he was not announced during that event would be the same as saying that Shantae is out of the running after not being revealed during the Nindirect...

D

Deleted member

Assuming that Steve is no longer in the running just because he was not announced during that event would be the same as saying that Shantae is out of the running after not being revealed during the Nindirect...
She’s not out of the running her reveal just got pushed back for some reason which explains the missing blog posts

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
1. Shantae
2. Banjo and Kazooie
3. Either Geno or Isaac
Mine would be
1. Issac
2. Shantae
3. Rhythm Heaven Rep
4. Banjo Kazooie
On a side note while I don't hate the character and wouldn't mind if he got in, I personally do not really see what the big deal is with Geno.....

Last edited:

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
She’s not out of the running her reveal just got pushed back for some reason which explains the missing blog posts
I never said she was out, and it's the same for Steve.

I wish so bad that the missing spots were meant for her indeed !

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

1. Shantae
2. Banjo and Kazooie
3. Either Geno or Isaac
Isaac. For some reason, he slipped my mind. As for another Echo...Bowsette for Peach would be funny, but not gonna happen. Medusa for Palutena, maybe? Or, in the best possible timeline, Hilda for Zelda.
1. Rottytops (Wait a minute...)
2. Shantae (That sounds about right!)
3. Geno (Puppet Boy)
4. Isaac (Adept Boy)

Oh, and the only Valve character I would want in Smash is Wheatley. :D
Wheatley would be funny. I wish that the Portal franchise wasn't dead. :(

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
So, Makai Wars Makai Wars how close to completion is Indivisible, as a rough percentage? That's the main concern with indie projects like this, Starr Mazer, Heart Forth Alicia, Cryamore, Ghost Police and many others.
I really don't know how much I can say about the release date without breaking NDA but it's coming the first half of 2019. If you have further questions just DM me I guess?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There's a difference between "why does Into the Breach get its own special announcement?" and "why would anyone expect anything Nintendo at Minecon to happen?".

Yes thank you sakurai and goodbye steve? ! also shantaes chances are not low she has a great chance for the base roster you just got to believe!

Like me!

I really don't know how much I can say about the release date without breaking NDA but it's coming the first half of 2019. If you have further questions just DM me I guess?
Good enough for me, thanks.

Last edited:

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
There's a difference between "why does Into the Breach get its own special announcement?" and "why would anyone expect anything Nintendo at Minecon to happen?".
No case is ever exactly the same lol.
It's similar because people assume that since they believe it was the perfect (missed) occasion to do it, then it means it will never happen. But what do we know ?
My point is that we should not overlook anyone's chances to get in when basing ourselves on mere speculation.

D

Deleted member

What really was going to happen at the nindies before her reveal was pushed back......

“Hold up it seems we have one more announcement before we go”........

MagusOfIllusions

Smash Cadet
The top 4 characters I'd like to see would be,

1.Shantae
2.Mike Jones (Startropics)
3.Geno
4.BanjoKazooie

You could consider Isaac an honorable mentions.

Top Bottom