• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Welp, I've just been lurking this thread the past few weeks or so. Haven't really found anything of note to chime in on lately anyways.
But I haven't been sitting still; I drew this:
Shantae Squids.png
Twitter link

You guys just stay awesome while I'll probably jump back into lurk mode. Though as release draws closer I'm sure we'll find some new and heftier info.

When do you guys think our next Smash direct will be?
Like LATE November. Sakurai will probably leave us dry for all of October, announce a final Smash Direct in mid-November that doesn't premiere until somewhere between the 20th-30th and then let us stew in the hype (or possible disappointment) for a week until the game releases.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I expect a direct sometime in October or early November.

They want that hype out by Black Friday, and announce everything before ESRB Leak 2: Electric Boogaloo happens.

Plus November might be taken by Pokemon.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

They want that hype out by Black Friday, and announce everything before ESRB Leak 2: Electric Boogaloo happens.

I’m actually thinking October is Pokémon month with the direct occurring in November.

Though getting everything out before ESRB the sequel is a great idea.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Wait you for real!?
Uh, you guys realize it was a joke, right? o_O
No...I actually wasn't joking...
1538240497088.png

I've been working there for like a year now...
You do? are you one of the guys that went to the 2012 Evo for the skullgirls Indiegogo? I'm one of the 2 people that gave enough for that reward!
Naw, that was probably one of my bosses, I just do simple animation stuff and work from my house. Also I was like still in high school in 2012

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Heh Indivisible dev. That's pretty funn-

View attachment 167199

I’m actually thinking October is Pokémon month with the direct occurring in November.

Though getting everything out before ESRB the sequel is a great idea.
Are you referring to a Pokemon Direct? Because that's implying that there's actually a direct's worth of content to show off for a Kanto Remake who's main feature is that they've removed 656 Pokemon. Seriously, what they've removed is more prominent than what they've added.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Heh Indivisible dev. That's pretty funn-

Are you referring to a Pokemon Direct? Because that's implying that there's actually a direct's worth of content to show off for a Kanto Remake who's main feature is that they've removed 656 Pokemon. Seriously, what they've removed is more prominent than what they've added.
I meant a Smash direct in November. I’m honestly not sure if there’s anything left to show for Pokémon.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I still think WayForward would straight up tell us if Shantae wasn't in Smash. They're not the kind of company that ignores their fans or gets their hopes up. If this does turn out to be nothing, they'd have many angry fans to answer to as to why they were so strange and silent this time around.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
I feel horrible. I want all of this to end, and I don't care how. :(

69 days, huh. Now that I think about it, the way you worded this:

I think you get the point.
Hopefully the pain smoothes out.

Also yeah, I didnt realize until I saw etikas post lol

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
I still think WayForward would straight up tell us if Shantae wasn't in Smash. They're not the kind of company that ignores their fans or gets their hopes up. If this does turn out to be nothing, they'd have many angry fans to answer to as to why they were so strange and silent this time around.
Yeah, at this point it would feel outright malicious for them to ignore us for so long if they had nothing to do with Smash. Wayforward as a company is not big enough to risk pissing off their fanbase for no reason.

D

Deleted member

They wouldn’t do that they love their fans!

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Considering the amount of people which are here, this thread is strangely inactive right now.

Anyway, I think it's impossible that Wayforward are silent for no reason. Like, what would they benefit from doing it? Making some fans lose trust in the company?

What could possibly be gained from angering their much beloved fans?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You know how Kirby has the reputation of tearing through everything in his way to get his cake?

Well, nothing beats the delivery of "I destroyed your entire armada so I could invite you to my slumber party!"

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Considering the amount of people which are here, this thread is strangely inactive right now.

Anyway, I think it's impossible that Wayforward are silent for no reason. Like, what would they benefit from doing it? Making some fans lose trust in the company?

What could possibly be gained from angering their much beloved fans?
We just have nothing to add, I guess. We went into detail multiple times and end up right back to where we started. Nothing wrong with it, we just have nothing to add.

And absolutely nothing, really. They'd lose a lot of trust if they kept silent about smash and not say anything about her not being in the game.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
We just have nothing to add, I guess. We went into detail multiple times and end up right back to where we started. Nothing wrong with it, we just have nothing to add.

And absolutely nothing, really. They'd lose a lot of trust if they kept silent about smash and not say anything about her not being in the game.
This thread has been repeating itself for about 200 pages now, which just shows how little information has been released. I hope things pick up soon, maybe next month?

Also, wow am I bored. Death seems like an exciting prospect at this point. I need more Rottytops in my life. :c
I'm sorry if I'm being so depressing right now, I have nothing fun to say anymore. If you want me to leave, I shall.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Am I the only one disturbed by seeing the Tinkerbats struggle for air when you shoot them down in the underwater passage?

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
View attachment 167199

Naw, that was probably one of my bosses, I just do simple animation stuff and work from my house. Also I was like still in high school in 2012
Well, I was doubting you, since people claiming to work for game studios and stuff happens a lot. And 99% of the time, it's lies.

When I look at your profile though, I understand it like this...
That you're not directly part of the team, but an artist they've hired.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Well, I was doubting you, since people claiming to work for game studios and stuff happens a lot. And 99% of the time, it's lies.

Perhaps but they are probably involved enough to know atleast what games the company is working on.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Is it safe enough to come back in here now?

Yeah, honestly that'd be the best case scenario. Would be fair if November had nothing, and October had the final reveals.

Yeah, at this point it would feel outright malicious for them to ignore us for so long if they had nothing to do with Smash. Wayforward as a company is not big enough to risk pissing off their fanbase for no reason.
And Dilly would literally die from the shock, and

This thread has been repeating itself for about 200 pages now, which just shows how little information has been released. I hope things pick up soon, maybe next month?

Also, wow am I bored. Death seems like an exciting prospect at this point. I need more Rottytops in my life. :c
I'm sorry if I'm being so depressing right now, I have nothing fun to say anymore. If you want me to leave, I shall.
No! Don't go. I just want a thread with no bickering, not have everyone leave it.

Last edited:

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Heh, nobody answered my previous post, so I assume you want me gone.

Welp, if that's how things have to turn out, then I hope you all the best.
Don't goooooooo

Also theres something I've considered, maybe the reason wf is quiet because there isn't a ballot? Like the whole reason they did that campaign was because they saw a chance to include shantae? Idk but even then it wouldn't go right when they don't answer to anyone who mentions smash.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Well, whatever happens, whether she gets in Smash as a fighter/assist trophy, or not, I can't wait to see where Shantae's adventures take her next.

Curious question though. Am I the only one who wants the Shantae series to stay a side scrolling platformer? I don't think she'd translate well into 3D.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman

I feel the best course of action is that when people on the Internet claim something that sounds too good to be true, it's better not to jump to conclusions. Considering the vast amount of people in multiple business who have social media accounts, I've witnessed plenty of people who made themselves look foolish by calling out others who they believed to be fakes and turned out to be real.

Back to Shantae, how is the original GBC game? It's the only one I haven't played and always meant to get it on the 3DS, but I hear the gameplay can be a bit unintuitive, since it's apparently very easy to get lost without knowing where to go, or so I hear.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Don't goooooooo

Also theres something I've considered, maybe the reason wf is quiet because there isn't a ballot? Like the whole reason they did that campaign was because they saw a chance to include shantae? Idk but even then it wouldn't go right when they don't answer to anyone who mentions smash.
Not buying that. Why not tell us if she's not in? They know that the fans want Shantae in Smash, so why string the hope for this long? Why flat out ignore Smash-related questions? I'm confident they would have told us if she's not in. WF is not the type of company that would string the fans along this long.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I feel the best course of action is that when people on the Internet claim something that sounds too good to be true, it's better not to jump to conclusions. Considering the vast amount of people in multiple business who have social media accounts, I've witnessed plenty of people who made themselves look foolish by calling out others who they believed to be fakes and turned out to be real.

Back to Shantae, how is the original GBC game? It's the only one I haven't played and always meant to get it on the 3DS, but I hear the gameplay can be a bit unintuitive, since it's apparently very easy to get lost without knowing where to go, or so I hear.
It's very rough to go back to after playing the sequels. For one thing, the transformation dances aren't as intuitive, there isn't a magic meter for items like Fire Balls and Pike Balls, the game flat out lies to you at one point(Sky and Mimic are dumb and don't know how directions work), and probably the hardest thing is that Shantae's hair whip has a much shorter range in the first game.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Don't goooooooo
Yeah I can't really ever leave, can I?

I'd miss you too much. ;) <3

It's very rough to go back to after playing the sequels. For one thing, the transformation dances aren't as intuitive, there isn't a magic meter for items like Fire Balls and Pike Balls, the game flat out lies to you at one point(Sky and Mimic are dumb and don't know how directions work), and probably the hardest thing is that Shantae's hair whip has a much shorter range in the first game.
Oh god, the worst thing about that game is the lives system. It sucks.
Also, there's a lot of blind jumps, most of them ending up in your demise.

But, if you're in the right mindset, you should definitely try to play it. It's one of the best, and one of the most beautiful, GBC games of all time, and pushed the system to it's absolute limits.

It also has multiple towns, instead of just Scuttle Town, which is something I think they should bring back.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah I can't really ever leave, can I?

I'd miss you too much. ;) <3

Oh god, the worst thing about that game is the lives system. It sucks.
Also, there's a lot of blind jumps, most of them ending up in your demise.

But, if you're in the right mindset, you should definitely try to play it. It's one of the best, and one of the most beautiful, GBC games of all time, and pushed the system to it's absolute limits.

It also has multiple towns, instead of just Scuttle Town, which is something I think they should bring back.
I suspect that Capcom (who was the publisher) wanted the game to be challenging (because Capcom hard), so they might have demanded a few of the rougher design choices. Also, zoomed-in camera like with the Ghosts N Goblins GBC port.

Still fun though, warts and all.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well, whatever happens, whether she gets in Smash as a fighter/assist trophy, or not, I can't wait to see where Shantae's adventures take her next.

Curious question though. Am I the only one who wants the Shantae series to stay a side scrolling platformer? I don't think she'd translate well into 3D.
It would not be hard to retain the usual feel of the series even if it went 3D. It's inspired by those who helped pioneer that leap in the first place, after all, so sprawling Zelda-type exploration or Mario-style action platforming are not out of the question (just don't make it a collectathon).

The main concern for me would be the art direction. We of course have no real idea on how Shantae would look in 3D, but somehow I doubt the small, sometimes chibi sprites would cut it, and and illustrated conversations would be more immersion-breaking than usual.

I mean sure, but they're willing to attack us so no regrets in killing them off
It's not just that they're dying, plenty of things die all the time in Shantae when you whip them enough to make them explode or combust, as if everyone in Sequin Land is composed of nitroglycerine (human desert bandits that explode when you whip them twice? Really?). But all those deaths are quick and painless, and drowning certainly isn't.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It would not be hard to retain the usual feel of the series even if it went 3D. It's inspired by those who helped pioneer that leap in the first place, after all, so sprawling Zelda-type exploration or Mario-style action platforming are not out of the question (just don't make it a collectathon).

The main concern for me would be the art direction. We of course have no real idea on how Shantae would look in 3D, but somehow I doubt the small, sometimes chibi sprites would cut it, and and illustrated conversations would be more immersion-breaking than usual.

It's not just that they're dying, plenty of things die all the time in Shantae when you whip them enough to make them explode or combust, as if everyone in Sequin Land is composed of nitroglycerine (human desert bandits that explode when you whip them twice? Really?). But all those deaths are quick and painless, and drowning certainly isn't.
Has there been any fan artwork of Shantae going "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru"? I feel that'd be comically appropriate, given that.

That being said, I noticed that WayForward in general basically does almost nothing but pixel games and sidescrollers. That they don't do any full 3D games is definitely a lack of big enough budget. Even A Hat In Time needed years of development for that to be pulled off for an indie game, and done well, so WF would need sufficient time and funding to do quality 3D games for the first time.

Last edited:

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
By the way, Makai Wars Makai Wars isn't lying about Shantae being a guest star in Indivisible. She along with several other protagonists are popping up as partners in the game, including Annie from Skullgirls (Which is where I bet people thought the Skullgirls/Shantae connection came from), and a few others.

Top Bottom