• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I’ll take his word on that

Also I love how we’ve gotten to a point where we debate how these characters might SMELL
I just brought it up as an example of how much Matt Bozon interacts with his fans...UNLESS they bring up Smash.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I just wonder if Shantae will end up being a top tier character if she makes it in. Or regarding her moveset speculation, what do you guys think? I would love her or geno or Isaac If they make it in to at least be b or c tier.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
*Sigh*

Here goes nothing:

So, I came to this thread after about a month of lurking about, and the only reason I joined was because of the interactions which I had viewed between everyone here, and to be honest, I was jealous. It hurt me deeply to see all of these different people, mingling so flawlessly, not one spark of negativity in sight. I wanted to be apart of this joyful community, it seemed like the perfect group of people, all speculating together in harmony.

So, there I was, finally in amongst these people I had been stalking for ages! And it started out great, some of the happiest times of life, chatting up with all of these wonderful people, joking about Rottytops, cookies and mushroom houses! It was amazing, it felt like pure bliss.

But then things felt like they were changing... very slowly.
More and more people came into the thread, which is a good thing, though it's now become a little too overcrowded for my taste. And it is because of this overcrowdedness, that I started to feel I was being ignored and left out. Negativity began seeping its way into the thread (no offence to people like hollywood, you're great! i dont have it out for anyone on this thread except for maybe connor... just a little). And then of course, the obvious happened, and that brought down the thread also, and I'm sorry that I caused that. The entire thread surrounded me for a time, and I'm sorry that things had to turn out that way, I wish it could have caused less of a scene.

I feel more disconnected from the thread now, it doesn't feel as homely anymore. I feel like it's kind of become a repetitious mess.

I'm also really distressed right now, I just want this to end, one way or another. One of the options is way out of my hellish life, and the other is where I continue it, and feel even more sorrow and pain, and give some to others. I don't know what to think, I've already failed to escape this tortuous life previously, so I might even welcome my death with open arms.

I'm so depressed right now. :crying:
I need a hug... preferably from Teeb147 Teeb147 or Mrs.Milky Mrs.Milky but that's beside the point...

Sorry if this is long and unnecessary, and quite frankly very messy itself, but I thought I'd put it out there.
D60FEC8A-ACA4-4707-8983-C3D3AF6C6CAA.png

I just wanted to let you know if you need someone else to talk to, I’m available as well.
But I would recommend talking to people in your area about those thoughts if you haven’t already, especially someone with professional experience like a school counselor or even a therapist if you think it’s necessary. It can help a lot.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
*Sigh*

Here goes nothing:

So, I came to this thread after about a month of lurking about, and the only reason I joined was because of the interactions which I had viewed between everyone here, and to be honest, I was jealous. It hurt me deeply to see all of these different people, mingling so flawlessly, not one spark of negativity in sight. I wanted to be apart of this joyful community, it seemed like the perfect group of people, all speculating together in harmony.

So, there I was, finally in amongst these people I had been stalking for ages! And it started out great, some of the happiest times of life, chatting up with all of these wonderful people, joking about Rottytops, cookies and mushroom houses! It was amazing, it felt like pure bliss.

More and more people came into the thread, which is a good thing, though it's now become a little too overcrowded for my taste. And it is because of this overcrowdedness, that I started to feel I was being ignored and left out. Negativity began seeping its way into the thread (no offence to people like hollywood, you're great! i dont have it out for anyone on this thread except for maybe connor... just a little). And then of course, the obvious happened, and that brought down the thread also, and I'm sorry that I caused that. The entire thread surrounded me for a time, and I'm sorry that things had to turn out that way, I wish it could have caused less of a scene.

I feel more disconnected from the thread now, it doesn't feel as homely anymore. I feel like it's kind of become a repetitious mess.

I'm also really distressed right now, I just want this to end, one way or another. One of the options is way out of my hellish life, and the other is where I continue it, and feel even more sorrow and pain, and give some to others. I don't know what to think, I've already failed to escape this tortuous life previously, so I might even welcome my death with open arms.

I need a hug... preferably from Teeb147 Teeb147 or Mrs.Milky Mrs.Milky but that's beside the point...

Sorry if this is long and unnecessary, and quite frankly very messy itself, but I thought I'd put it out there.
I think it's nice to hear here how you're doing since all the stuff went down (even if there's sadness..). It's nice that youre around more too.
It's hard to know what to say sometimes, nobody wants a friend to be going through pain and feel really bad.

I think everyone hopes you go through this alright, and wish for the best. And I hope for the best too and I also only hope that you can relish the good that comes around, not just in this thread but around in life.
I think it's normal that there's messes or negativity here and there, and there's not much we can do about it besides trying to bring some good. It'll never be perfect, but there's always some things to treasure.

Let's hope things go alright all around. and just do your best (like Ive said a lot).
You or others could also try to pm once in a while, and besides that we can just keep being ourselves and aiming for the best.
And like I often say (again), take care of yourself, and feel some comfort as you can <3

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
View attachment 167273

I just wanted to let you know if you need someone else to talk to, I’m available as well.
But I would recommend talking to people in your area about those thoughts if you haven’t already, especially someone with professional experience like a school counselor or even a therapist if you think it’s necessary. It can help a lot.
Here’s something I want to ask you guys. I mainly support over at the Isaac forums, but after seeing you guys support Shantae highly and actually getting around to finally playing her games, I certainly support her all the way! I need to ask you guys something. Do you think she has a better shot at the base roster or as future dlc given how the competition for base roster slots come with geno Isaac and incineroar?

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I just wonder if Shantae will end up being a top tier character if she makes it in. Or regarding her moveset speculation, what do you guys think? I would love her or geno or Isaac If they make it in to at least be b or c tier.
It would ultimately depend on how they handle her moveset, thought I have little to no experience with the competitive scene, I feel like the moveset I designed for her could potentially have her mid-high tier if mastered.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I could see her being sort of a mid-tier fighter, though I don't think she'd be a high tier fighter. A lot of her magic could take some time for them to score a hit on her opponents, whereas stuff like Pike Balls would not be very good in a balance sense because it could protect her from grabs. It'll be a sort of delicate balance between making her a good enough character and a ridiculous character, as Crusades could attest to.
And yes, I think that her smash attacks would utilize the animal transformations quite a bit better than dedicating them to specials or a Down-B transformation, whereas her specials could be dedicated to the Pirate Gear, with certain outliers. The outliers I could see is her up smash being the Fighter Boots' Kick attack, her Monkey Bullet attack being her Forward Throw, Up Throw being the Pirate Flare, working basically like Villager's Up Smash, Risky's Hat being Shantae's glide like Peach's floaty jump, and Up B being the Harpy Form and its flying animation, which I could see working similarly to Villager's Balloon Up B.
A good Final Smash could be her Super Mega Puff beam attack, which doesn't do a lot of knockback, but would do insane amount of damage. Except when it expires, then it'll send them flying. Though I could also see it functioning similarly to Porky's Electric Beam attack back in Brawl.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Shantae will be top tier due to having a fast, disjointed neutral A move that can space, rack up damage and combo.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Found this earlier while looking through fanart

EABD8881-0E8E-4588-B923-EEB3C4C34374.jpeg

Wonder if something like that bottom pic would work for her animation of being grabbed. I think it’d make sense considering it’s her main method of attacking opponents.
(Obviously she’d be fighting back in the process, attempting to free her hair)

Last edited:

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
I used to get nervous at tournaments, but I just stopped caring after a while, because I realized the most important for me in smash is to have fun, and I wasn't having fun by only trying to be super good all the time.
When with friends, it's a good occasion to just kick back and have fun :)
And we all like shantae here, so I think that counts XD
Very true!
*Sigh*

Here goes nothing:

I am here for yoooouu

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
*Sigh*

Here goes nothing:

Dylan, know that people here love and appreciate you. Self-doubt is something we all struggle with and I can understand the feeling of loneliness. Even when one is with their most dearest life can feel lonely and hollow.

Don't blame yourself for what is happening in this thread at any given time. On the internet people people wear "masks" if you will. And this makes people more bold with their feelings and frustrations.

We are also at a slow period of news. This makes people bored and agitated. This is not your fault.

I don't have any real advice to give at the moment. Maybe read the philosophical works of the Stoics?

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
*Sigh*

Here goes nothing:

Listen... from what I've been seeing, no one's been getting ignored. The only way someone does get ignored is if they haven't been saying anything, and you have been saying stuff. The negativity is a combination of what I was doing, the lack of things to speculate over since the 8/8 Direct, and all of these leaks and haters saying she shouldn't/won't get in. You have nothing to do with any of these things.
If you're worried we're gonna blame you for making a scene, we don't. What you're going through is hard and everyone has their different ways of coping. We don't think any less of you for it. In fact, I think more of you for it, because it takes guts to go and tell us something like this.

We're here for you, man.

Realistically speaking, I could see her being lower-mid tier. I just don't think she'd end up being that fast or combo-heavy, like most top tiers are.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Found this earlier while looking through fanart

View attachment 167278

Wonder if something like that bottom pic would work for her animation of being grabbed. I think it’d make sense considering it’s her main method of attacking opponents.
(Obviously she’d be fighting back in the process, attempting to free her hair)
Pfft, maybe she's trying to claw the aggressor's hands or something like that? Ineffectively, of course

We all need some sprited Rotties in the scene.

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Just popping in shortly. Do not worry if I'm not here for the next few days. I'm just ill and I'm trying to take it real easy until I get better!

I find that I can relax and recover quicker without electronics.

Thought I should let you all know. Love you all!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Just popping in shortly. Do not worry if I'm not here for the next few days. I'm just ill and I'm trying to take it real easy until I get better!

Cheers, get well soon.

:ultpit: Welp, my work here is done (flies off with heart shaped arrows in quiver)

Speaking of ships, is there any ships within the Shantae series anyone here supports?
Bolo X Rottytops. I mean, it's safer than pairing him with Risky.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Hope you get well soon dude!

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Speaking of ships, is there any ships within the Shantae series anyone here supports?
Risky's Pirate Ship

Shantae and Risky for sure. ;)

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about that.
Hope you get well soon!

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
*Sigh*

Here goes nothing:

I'm sorry you feel this way dude. If I had to give you any advice, I'd just say that you don't need to worry about it so much. It's just an internet forum at the end of the day, I don't think anyone here seriously judges you for anything. Take some time off to de-stress if you need to. If you want to chat or just get some of your anxieties out, just hit me up bro, I'll hear you out.
:ultpit: Welp, my work here is done (flies off with heart shaped arrows in quiver)

Shantae X Rotty for sure. I love their cute dynamics and how their relationship evolved throughout the games.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225

Shantae x Rottytops is just perfect. A lot of the series' LGBT+ following tends to adhere to this, really.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Risky's Pirate Ship

Shantae and Risky for sure. ;)

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about that.
Hope you get well soon!
Huh, with your affinity, thought you'd go for Shantae and Rotty, especially since a lot of dialogue seems to infer that Rotty swings both ways.
But ultimately, Shantae could work with virtually any major female character in the series. Rotty for the spunky attitude, Sky for their steel strong friendship, and Risky because hey, when did jobs really get in the way of a blossoming flower?

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
As for my 4 character wants?
1. Shantae. I think we all know the reasons.
2. Phoenix Wright. I have all the localized games in one form or another (and if I ever finish learning Japanese I'll play the unlocalized games as well)
3. Isaac (Golden Sun). I haven't played the games yet due to lack of time and exhaustion after work. I do have them on WiiU Virtual console though. The character does seem like a fun Gish (swordmage if you will, D&D term).
4. I actually never thought this far ahead. Rex and Pyra/Mythra would be fun (if a bit too recent to be viable candidates). Midna is a fun character as well. Captain N for the lol wat factor?

Echo wants?
1. Medusa. A lady villain would be fun.
2. Impa. Most re-occuring charcter Zelda character outside the main 3 triforce wielders.
3. Black Shadow. Just so folks could re-enact that scene from the anime.
4. Ken. First echo/shotoclone deserves some mention.

Also Yellowlord Yellowlord can I be added to the Supporter list?

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration

Probably a minority, but I support Shantae x Rottytops.

EDIT: Seems I'm not a minority lol

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Probably a minority, but I support Shantae x Rottytops.
I know it's the typical thing to make 'pairings', but why not just have as many as you want? shantae x rotty x skye x more :)
(maybe I should mention I have poly leanings.. ;p)

Last edited:
Top Bottom