• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member

Because he said that he visited a company we "definitely knew."

Also, can we just all agree that Toadette's/Peachette's lack of popularity can totally become the Mario fandom's equivalent of "The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise," with Bowsette taking the place as Palpatine. That was just a stupid thing that popped into my head, and it's awesome.
Should I put that in the spread sheet?

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
View attachment 166816

Yeah... Mostly it had to do with me making some terrible image-uploading choices and insisting on using "subjective tags". I'm still not sure what they meant by "furry vageebees", though...
Oh, don't you hate it when you get banned for "furry vageebees"?

Super annoying. Happens all the time.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Oh, don't you hate it when you get banned for "furry vagabeees"?

Super annoying. Happens all the time.
Yeah... I've tried appealing, but... the mods were not amused. Supposedly it's fine for me to try making another account by now, but I'm not swimming in valid IP addresses and e-mail accounts, so the logistics of returning are... unfavorable.

Here's a kinda scary thought I've been entertaining for a while, what if all this evidence and silence from WF have nothing to do with Smash Bros, but instead it's all leading up to the announcement of a Shantae fighting game? Would you be okay with that? I'd rather it not happen but I personally would prefer that over her just being an Assist Trophy.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Here's a kinda scary thought I've been entertaining for a while, what if all this evidence and silence from WF have nothing to do with Smash Bros, but instead it's all leading up to the announcement of a Shantae fighting game? Would you be okay with that? I'd rather it not happen but I personally would prefer that over her just being an Assist Trophy.
While an interesting thought...there aren't really enough characters for a full fledged Shantae fighting game. Unless they were willing to have a small roster ala Skullgirls.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I would actually be fine with that. Maybe not a Shantae fighting game, but a Wayforward crossover fighting game would be cool.

And hey, you'd actually be able to play as Rotty, and that would be brilliant!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It's an interesting idea, and they certainly have the cast for it, but I don't know. Has Wayforward dabbled in fighting games at all in there library?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
While an interesting thought...there aren't really enough characters for a full fledged Shantae fighting game. Unless they were willing to have a small roster ala Skullgirls.
Shantae, Rotty, Skye, Bolo, Risky, Twitch, Vinegar, Barracuda Joe, Holly, Abner, Poe, Chef girl, Dance Naga, magically shrunken Giga Mermaid... Mayor as a joke character... Barons as Bosses...

It could be done.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm really trying to think of every possible reason for Shantae being excluded from pretty much every indie crossover fighting game. If she's just an AT it wouldn't make any sense but I could see a reason if Wayforward had something planned and wanted to keep her exclusive, but even then it doesn't make sense that she shows up in any other non-fighter indie crossover.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Shantae, Rotty, Skye, Bolo, Risky, Twitch, Vinegar, Barracuda Joe, Holly, Abner, Poe, Chef girl, Dance Naga, magically shrunken Giga Mermaid... Mayor as a joke character... Barons as Bosses...

It could be done.
I gotta say...I completely didn't think of Barracuda Joe or Holly. Did not even consider Chef girl, though I could imagine her win quotes and lose quotes being hilariously overlong for the sake of "drama". And by "dance naga", do you mean Tuki?

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I gotta say...I completely didn't think of Barracuda Joe or Holly. Did not even consider Chef girl, though I could imagine her win quotes and lose quotes being hilariously overlong for the sake of "drama". And by "dance naga", do you mean Tuki?
Seeing Tuki outside of her pot for the first time would be interesting.

Wonder what she looks like down there. Does she have legs? A tail? Heck, even another head? Or nothing at all...

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I was unaware she had a name. I am a bit ashamed now.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Seeing Tuki outside of her pot for the first time would be interesting.

Wonder what she looks like down there. Does she have legs? A tail? Heck, even another head? Or nothing at all...
She is a Lamia if I recall correctly so the rest of her body is that of a snake.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If I were Wayforward, I'd take steps to make sure these characters endear and are recognizable enough to non-hardcore Shantae fans before trying to sell a fighting game with them, unless they have some truly innovative take on it.

With that in mind, I feel an RPG would be the best option for the first major spin-off. Imagine Shantae saving the world with her friends as a team... for real!

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
I'm seeing so many posts, tweets, etc of people 100% sure of who the next newcomers are, that I really hope the next one is Shantae just to see how priceless their reactions would be.

The pot is what she uses to hide in not part of the body. Biology doesn't work like that.
I believe this is when someone would reply with "/r/woosh"

Shinuto is messing with you

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
The pot is what she uses to hide in not part of the body. Biology doesn't work like that.
I feel like I'm morphing into this bed though, so I'm not too sure about that.

I'm seeing so many posts, tweets, etc of people 100% sure of who the next newcomers are, that I really hope the next one is Shantae just to see how priceless their reactions would be.

I believe this is when someone would reply with "/r/woosh"

Shinuto is messing with you
I don't know if this could be a double /r/woosh or not, because GoldLiger might have been kidding around as well, and you might not have been able to see it.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If you have seen various interpretations of Lamias in other series and media, you'll realise that this conversation is silly and pointless. Simply get on with it, please.

Anyone that isn't Ken, Incineroar and/or Steve would do, we wouldn't even need our indie queen for that. ;)

Last edited:

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Anyone that isn't Ken, Incineroar and/or Steve would do, we wouldn't even need our indie queen for that. ;)
This is what I'm hoping and praying for (even though I want Ken). I'd totally accept Sceptile, Bandanna Dee, Isaac or anyone not in a leak even if I'm not super hyped for them just to see all the leakers get BTFO. Would make me more than happy.

Last edited:
*slowly places tin foil hat upon my head* Everyone witness and be amused and/or confused by how I'm about to prove to you all that every unique newcomer shown so far for Smash Ultimate can be tied to Shantae and is 100% coincidental.

Inklings: Evolved squid creatures who can morph between human and squid form, MUCH LIKE SHANTAE TRANSFORMS INTO ANIMALS AND DID SOMEBODY SAY SQUID BARON???!!!??

Ridley: Gigantic purple space pirate from Metroid, NEED I REMIND YOU THAT SHANTAE'S NEMESIS IS ALSO A PURPLE-CLAD PIRATE??!!

Simon: Whip-slinging vampire hunter from Castlevania, KIND OF LIKE SHANTAE'S HAIR WHIP HHMMM ALSO THE SHANTAE GAMES ARE COMMONLY CLASSIFIED UNDER THE METROIDVANIA GENRE SO IT EVEN CONNECTS TO RIDLEY AGAIN!!

King K. Rool: Menacing giant lizard King of Kremlings, WHO HAS ON MULTIPLE OCCASIONS TAKEN ON A PIRATE PERSONA MUCH LIKE RISKY BOOTS!!!

Isabelle: The adorable doggy mascot of Animal crossing whose name is a pun on "Is a Bell": AND IS IT A COINCIDENCE THAT THE ONLY NOTABLE DOG IN THE SHANTAE SERIES IS NAMED "WOBBLE BELL"???!!!???

I think by now you can see that I spent way to much unnecessary time thinking about this nonsense but in my defense.........I found this extremely funny.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Anyway we can only think about Ken as an Easy Echo of Ryu since that was what Ken was in the original Street Fighter 2 game(minus the flaming uppercut).
The only reasons I don't want to see Ken as a SF addition yet is so we could have Chun-Li duking it out with other iconic ladies, and Guile launching his Sonic Boom at Sonic.

Why not her
Because we have no idea if Sakurai will show her next, we ain't God.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Why not her
It's just something I keep in mind after Ashley got Assist Trophy'd again. No matter how much circumstantial evidence comes your way, always be prepared for your Smash pick to be BTFO. Absolutely nothing is guaranteed until it's all over. Not trying to be negative, just a friendly reminder to keep your hype at a reasonable level and be prepared to not have your fave in Smash.

D

Deleted member

The only reasons I don't want to see Ken as a SF addition yet is so we could have Chun-Li duking it out with other iconic ladies, and Guile launching his Sonic Boom at Sonic.

She might come at a random day like they did to robin it makes sense for her due to the missing blog posts

D

Deleted member

Yeah, although Sakurai's statement of "reveals will get slower" may throw a spanner into that.

In the meantime, Brinstar is in today's post.
What if they’re saving every remaining newcomer for a big smash event they drop all the newcomers in one event shantae could be one of them still judging by the blog posts

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

I would much rather have Chun Li instead of Ken, but Ken would be so easy to make. Honestly if I had my wish the only street fighter character to have in the game would be Blanka.

Top Bottom