• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Another thing people me to remember about the rating for Pirate's Curse is that it was a 2D pixel art game. Which I can assure you helped it get that rating of E10.

When Shantae is in Smash, she will be 3D rendered with more detail and realism, which would put any of her costumes under greater scrutiny.

I don't think it would be a problem with her regular outfit (not jammies, ninja or even the mighty switch suit) but I don't we will get her space princess costume in Smash (maybe as a trophy where are the angels can be controlled, but I still doubt it)

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Another thing people me to remember about the rating for Pirate's Curse is that it was a 2D pixel art game. Which I can assure you helped it get that rating of E10.

When Shantae is in Smash, she will be 3D rendered with more detail and realism, which would put any of her costumes under greater scrutiny.

I don't think it would be a problem with her regular outfit (not jammies, ninja or even the mighty switch suit) but I don't we will get her space princess costume in Smash (maybe as a trophy where are the angels can be controlled, but I still doubt it)
That's annoying.
If they don't put Space Princess Rottytops into the game, then it's not worth anyone's time or money.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
If Palutena's panties and Peach's bikini aren't a problem for Nintendo, I don't see why Shantae would be. They could always cover up her cleavage slightly if it's an issue.
Palutena was a problem too iirc, that's why they swapped in some shorts. I made my point about Peach's Odyssey bikini above (edit: previous page actually), but I'll add to it with the fact that she's not a big focus, just appearing as an NPC you can find out in the world from time to time. Shantae as a playabale character in Smash would be a constant presence.

All that aside, her default outfit should in theory be fine with maybe some slight alterations, we were mainly discussing the "Space Princess" costume. And to address her other costumes, her swimsuit by virtue of being a swimsuit is probably a no-go. The cut of the pants in the ninja outfit probably rules that out as well. Jammies are fine, but the Officer Wagon cosplay might not fly either if they deem it shows too much skin due to the fully exposed legs.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Palutena was a problem too iirc, that's why they swapped in some shorts. I made my point about Peach's Odyssey bikini above (edit: previous page actually), but I'll add to it with the fact that she's not a big focus, just appearing as an NPC you can find out in the world from time to time. Shantae as a playabale character in Smash would be a constant presence.

All that aside, her default outfit should in theory be fine with maybe some slight alterations, we were mainly discussing the "Space Princess" costume. And to address her other costumes, her swimsuit by virtue of being a swimsuit is probably a no-go. The cut of the pants in the ninja outfit probably rules that out as well. Jammies are fine, but the Officer Wagon cosplay might not fly either if they deem it shows too much skin due to the fully exposed legs.
Yeah, it's pretty risque to have her alt outfits, though I do find it ingenious how Matt actually designed some of the alt costumes. Did he actually give Rotty's outfit to her when she was in the zombie costume? So on a good side, WF does realize that it could be a pretty messy situation if one of their alt costumes was a part of Shantae's normal costume line-up, mainly due to rating concerns.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, it's pretty risque to have her alt outfits, though I do find it ingenious how Matt actually designed some of the alt costumes. Did he actually give Rotty's outfit to her when she was in the zombie costume? So on a good side, WF does realize that it could be a pretty messy situation if one of their alt costumes was a part of Shantae's normal costume line-up, mainly due to rating concerns.
Yes, she does have Rotty's outfit in that.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I could definitely see them making a group trophy of all the girls in that outfit.
As cool as that would be, I highly doubt it. Again, if fully clothed characters get censored, I don't see them giving a pass to a trophy of several scantily clad girls in a model viewer with full camera control.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
As cool as that would be, I highly doubt it. Again, if fully clothed characters get censored, I don't see them giving a pass to a trophy of several scantily clad girls in a model viewer with full camera control.
It would be absolutely funny just to see, though. That and, really, the fire that this would almost undoubtedly make. It'd such a chaotic mess it'd be amazing to me! However, I think if they really wanted to include the Space Princess outfits, they'd just omit Shantae or just make a standalone trophy with Shantae or one of the other girls as a "proof of concept" trophy. Because if, as Sakurai or one of the modelers, had to make a trophy, would it be easier to make a trophy with four people, four trophies with their own unique flavor text based on the characters, or one with a generalized description about the outfit itself?

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
It would be absolutely funny just to see, though. That and, really, the fire that this would almost undoubtedly make. It'd such a chaotic mess it'd be amazing to me! However, I think if they really wanted to include the Space Princess outfits, they'd just omit Shantae or just make a standalone trophy with Shantae or one of the other girls as a "proof of concept" trophy. Because if, as Sakurai or one of the modelers, had to make a trophy, would it be easier to make a trophy with four people, four trophies with their own unique flavor text based on the characters, or one with a generalized description about the outfit itself?
If they were to actually include the Space Princess outfit as an alt for Shantae, then I'd imagine it'd be her alt. trophy as well (provided those are still a thing). If Shantae gets multiple alts like Mario and Little Mac then I could see a different costume on the alt. trophy in which case the group shot would be great instead.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
If they were to actually include the Space Princess outfit as an alt for Shantae, then I'd imagine it'd be her alt. trophy as well (provided those are still a thing). If Shantae gets multiple alts like Mario and Little Mac then I could see a different costume on the alt. trophy in which case the group shot would be great instead.
I'm gonna admit that I think there's a possibility of multiple outfits. Look at all the care going into the other alternate costumes.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
No, all this world needs is an entire Rottytops spin off game.

But she can't get damaged in it because that would just be horrible. :( I don't want to watch her get hurt.
She's a zombie though :/ Pretty sure her nerve endings aren't what they used to be..

I think any spin-offs would be cool though :) I mean there could be puzzle games or more casual stuff too, or anything.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
She's a zombie though :/ Pretty sure her nerve endings aren't what they used to be..

I think any spin-offs would be cool though :) I mean there could be puzzle games or more casual stuff too, or anything.
The puzzle game would be for Skye where she has to match colored eggs to get them to hatch

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I'm gonna admit that I think there's a possibility of multiple outfits. Look at all the care going into the other alternate costumes.
Costumes are actually the one department I'm still kind of iffy on. Mario got two new alts. We have some female Pikachu. There's Meta Ridley and Crafted Yoshi, etc, etc. but I get the feeling they're just going to make a handful for a select few characters and leave it at that. I don't even expect recolors for the alts tbh.

No, there should be an entire Rottytops spin off game.

But she can't get damaged in it because that would just be horrible. :( I don't want to watch her get hurt.
All the more reason to make it like Wario Land. Rotty can just react to enemy attacks like Wario does in his games. (Though to be fair Wario is technically getting hurt, you just can't actually die.)

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
What about Shantae though?
You think I like Shantae? Ha!

The only reason I want her to appear in Smash is so that Rotty has a chance of making it in too.

but there's no need to talk about Sky like that.
But everyone else is inferior to Rotty's magnificence. She's the only person which really matters!

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
You think I like Shantae? Ha!

The only reason I want her to appear in Smash is so that Rotty has a chance of making it in too.

But everyone else is inferior to Rotty's magnificence. She's the only person which really matters!
Aww, come on Dylly! Rotty loves her genie!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
How do you still not get that the only thing that matters in this universe is Rotty?

Sky is just a stupid, old, fat, nasty, disgusting birdbrain.
What was that?

we're all in this together ;)

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
everyone's turning against me again :(

looks like ill just go and stand over here with hollywoodrok so you can throw tomatoes at me
or knives
you can throw knives if you want
ok come on you can't look at that reply and see "genuine malicious insult"

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
You know what else fell under a E10+ rating? Princess Peach in a two piece bikini.
When did Peach wear that?!?

EDIT: Oh, right, Odyssey. I tend to not see every single post here...

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
well
that just ended with me crashing and burning

again
Everything can get better :)
Don't feel too bad, we were all playing. It's good to keep lightness, or discuss
or keep talking things out with me (or others) in pms when you're not sure what's what (when it feels drastic)

Last edited:

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
The Shantae Spreadsheet is coming along pretty well. There are still a few things that we need to find.
-Several sections are missing proper links. If anyone can find them, that would be awesome
-I'm not sure how to piece together a timeline of interesting events.

I have also placed the link to the spreadsheet in my signature so it can easily be accessed.
I implore everyone to add to it becasue as of now, it seems like the best place to get updated on new events.

Top Bottom