• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cool Guy 36

Smash Journeyman
I found this nice picture of Jenny dressing as Shantae and an mummy. So, I thought it would be nice to show it to you guys.:

Source

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Oh man, I love when everyone here goes on full detective mode. Suddenly this thread be like

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
If Shantae was revealed as the next character, do you guys think it will put a dent in Verg's leaks?

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
If Shantae was revealed as the next character, do you guys think it will put a dent in Verg's leaks?
Vergeben is in the perfect position in that all he has to do is claim that his sources were either wrong or misinformed and the whole internet would let it slide. Not that I think Verge is wrong, I just don't 100% think he's right.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Okay so after listening through the James Montagana interview:
  • James Montagana says he doesn't know anything about Smash in 2017
  • "We (Wayforward) haven't heard anything from Sakurai in a while"
  • "Doesn't seem too likely we'll see an indie character as a fighter"
  • "I'd love to see indies happen as a trophy, but I don't see indies as fighters being feasible"
  • "Western characters should probably get in line behind popular JP characters"
View attachment 166374
He mentions Shantae during the ballot voting season and Nintendo might consider using the ballot for...a trophy? This is is about as close as he gets.
A. didn't even know about Ultimate
B. hasn't been in contact with Sakurai as of January 2017 (?)

Then he said "you might be surprised!" So???
Overall I don't know you guys, this would technically break NDA right? While he never mentions Shantae and Smash in the same sentence he really sounds like he doesn't know what happening over at Nintendo. Would he lie? Would he just not know? I'm not feelin' so hot anymore all of a sudden.
You know he is allowed to lie or fib if need be. Remember, game creators have said one thing and then later do something that goes against it, or say they aren't working on a game and 2 months alater that game is revealed.

Blobulle

Smash Rookie
This has probably been already discussed but:

While I also want Shantae in Smash, she isn't from a Japanese game right? (WayForward Technologies is American)
Since every single character in Smash so far is from one (unless I'm mistaking), does she still have a chance?

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I guess we'll know what's going on soon if the rumor about the next Direct is true and happens on the 16th next month.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace

While I also want Shantae in Smash, she isn't from a Japanese game right? (WayForward Technologies is American)
Since every single character in Smash so far is from one (unless I'm mistaking), does she still have a chance?
I don't think it was ever written in stone that a character had to be from a Japanese game to qualify, and technically Diddy Kong was made in Europe (and K. Rool too I think?). It's definitely a strike against her but not worth totally writing her out either, thanks to the Ballot, anything can happen.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace

Yes she still has a chance because as a matter of fact, the Metroid Prime series was made by American developer Retro Studios making Dark Samus the first American made character to appear in Smash.

D

Deleted member

You know he is allowed to lie or fib if need be. Remember, game creators have said one thing and then later do something that goes against it, or say they aren't working on a game and 2 months alater that game is revealed.
I don’t think he was lying he didn't know shantae was in it as a fighter and did not know there was another smash coming sakurai only contacted the important people close to shantae look at page 274 if you have to you’ll see

For example in 3/8/18 when smash got teased
James was all like exited while Matt was just sitting there and he probrably told him what’s going on and told wf don’t do anything with the word smash until revealed.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I guess we'll know what's going on soon if the rumor about the next Direct is true and happens on the 16th next month.
I wouldn't put too much stock in that leak. First it suggested there will be 17 new characters. SEVENTEEEN! I'm sorry but that seem s incredibly unlikely to me.

Beyond that, among those 17 there are a few characters that just seem very unlikely to me. Sora seems very unlikely thanks to all the Disney red tape attached to him. Klaus from Mother 3 could happen, but i doubt it, he doesn't seem to be on many people's radar. And Saki. I mean, Nothing against Saki but is anyone really asking for a Sin and Punishment character?

And making Shadow not an echo while making Dixie and echo seems incredibly unlikely and honestly unfair.

So yeah, it could happen but I would be amazingly surprised if that thing is real at all.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
I wouldn't put too much stock in that leak. First it suggested there will be 17 new characters. SEVENTEEEN! I'm sorry but that seem s incredibly unlikely to me.

Beyond that, among those 17 there are a few characters that just seem very unlikely to me. Sora seems very unlikely thanks to all the Disney red tape attached to him. Klaus from Mother 3 could happen, but i doubt it, he doesn't seem to be on many people's radar. And Saki. I mean, Nothing against Saki but is anyone really asking for a Sin and Punishment character?

And making Shadow not an echo while making Dixie and echo seems incredibly unlikely and honestly unfair.

So yeah, it could happen but I would be amazingly surprised if that thing is real at all.
I dont know if anyone is asking now but in brawl the Japanese fan base for him managed to get Saki in( only as an assist though)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yes she still has a chance because as a matter of fact, the Metroid Prime series was made by American developer Retro Studios making Dark Samus the first American made character to appear in Smash.
I think the issue is that unlike the franchises currently in Smash, Shantae is 100% an American property (at least until Inti Creates came along), while Western-made characters like Rool and DS still are part of Japanese-born franchises. If she makes it through this uphill battle, the sky's the limit for any Western character worth their salt.

Vergeben is in the perfect position in that all he has to do is claim that his sources were either wrong or misinformed and the whole internet would let it slide. Not that I think Verge is wrong, I just don't 100% think he's right.
Yeah, but doesn't he get heat among the DBFZ fanbase?

I previously heard about something on the 6th. Isn't it a bit early for them to move the goalposts?

Ah well, only one week left until the month ends anyway. We'll see what happens.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I think the issue is that unlike the franchises currently in Smash, Shantae is 100% an American property (at least until Inti Creates came along), while Western-made characters like Rool and DS still are part of Japanese-born franchises. If she makes it through this uphill battle, the sky's the limit for any Western character worth their salt.
Ok well what about Shovel Knight? Granted he's not in the greatest spot you can put someone in Smash but the fact anything completely American owned became a part of the game at all speaks volumes.

EDIT: No, I don't support assist trophies if that's what anyone's getting from reading this.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
We talking about that new leak that has so many newcomers? yeah, even I think thats too much. at most we will get 12 more selectable fights(6 unique and 6 echo). Any more then that in the base game is nuts.

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
Okay, there is still a ton of work to be done on this but I thought I would go ahead and lay the groundwork for this. I have started to develop a Shantae Spreadsheet. The goal of this is to try to catalog all we talked about in a single place. I have made the page public so that anyone can edit and add to it. I'm going off faith that no-one will sabotage or ruin it.

Here is the link to it.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UAfRhl4EkZ5Zx4FRNN7QpJzdb2IMBHwXLWQP8rL9ubU/edit?usp=sharing

If you add something, go ahead and write your profile name on the first page. I'm an electrical engineering student so I can't work on it at all times of the day but will add stuff today when I have some free time or want to take a break.

Let's see how this goes I guess.

Edit: I just realized I had the link set to view instead of edit. Sorry Everyone

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I dont know if anyone is asking now but in brawl the Japanese fan base for him managed to get Saki in( only as an assist though)
That's kind of my point tho. At the height of his popularity he was made an assist trophy. Since then we have really heard nothing from him or the franchise so demand for him is probably not high enough to make him a priority.

Him being in this leak just really makes me doubt it's credibility. Not to say anything about his character or if he deserves to be in Smash, I just don't think he is likely and there doesn't seem to be enough chatter about him to warrant such a move from Nintendo.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that October 16th leak is another dime a dozen 4Chan fake text leak. There's no way we're getting 17 new characters and some of those characters seem pretty out there. If it comes from 4Chan, I think it should instantly be dismissed.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Errr, to be fair, it's not like he's claimed to know every character playable in this game. I don't recall him actively saying she's not in anyway, so her inclusion so far wouldn't directly contradict any statements of his that I'm aware of. Not that I support him or anything anyway.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
When I mentioned the October 16th leak, I didn't know about that other stuff. Probably fake then in which case. 17 characters? I'll be surprised if they announce more than 3-4 fighters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Okay, there is still a ton of work to be done on this but I thought I would go ahead and lay the groundwork for this. I have started to develop a Shantae Spreadsheet. The goal of this is to try to catalog all we talked about in a single place. I have made the page public so that anyone can edit and add to it. I'm going off faith that no-one will sabotage or ruin it.

Here is the link to it.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UAfRhl4EkZ5Zx4FRNN7QpJzdb2IMBHwXLWQP8rL9ubU/edit?usp=sharing

If you add something, go ahead and write your profile name on the first page. I'm an electrical engineering student so I can't work on it at all times of the day but will add stuff today when I have some free time or want to take a break.

Edit: I just realized I had the link set to view instead of edit. Sorry Everyone
Can’t wait to see her as a fighter!

kazoka122

Smash Cadet

Here is the link to it.

So did you post the editable link xD?

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818

Here is the link to it.

*SNIP*
Excellent. Good call to include People of Interest and Timeline. Now if we can add direct links to our sources (video, tweets, inerviews, screenshots etc.) a stronger body of evidence can be made.

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
Excellent. Good call to include People of Interest and Timeline. Now if we can add direct links to our sources (video, tweets, inerviews, screenshots etc.) a stronger body of evidence can be made.
I started to do that but it’s hard to find everything. If people can fill in th gaps I missed, that would be great.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

You're wrong.

Dark Samus was made by an American Company.
King K. Rool and Diddy Kong were made in the UK.

I don't know where you guys keep drawing these arbitrary limitations from.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
It seems that some people will come up with any excuse to limit Shantae's chances.

And I'm still laughing at the fact that some people still believe that Prima leak, especially on GameFAQs. It's a dime a dozen fake text leak. People's gullibility truly astounds me sometimes.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Hey guys I'm ba- *gets hit by tomatoes thrown from people who don't like my negativity and/or think I'm a detractor* wait WAIT! I'm not here to spread negativity!

Here's my opinion on these recent developments/understandings:

I don't think this causes Shantae's chances to be jeopardized at all.

I believe this "stress" we're experiencing is a result of us potentially getting closer to understanding exactly what's going on. We may be narrowing down our exact targets behind all our suspicion with WayForward/Shantae/Smash Ultimate. All of that evidence could be pointing towards those few candidates being in on everything.

After all, the WF twitter account (plus James' twitter account) could all be "silent" on Smash Brothers based on a company-wide PSA from Matt to "not answer anything on Smash Brothers this time around" or something like that. No one else has to "know" at all. They could be simply following an order from the head honcho himself to be silent regarding Smash Brothers. It could even be worded by Matt in such a way to not cause suspicion "within the ranks", so to speak.

This is all pretty exciting, IMO.
That would also explain the set of liked tweets that involved Smash. The orders might not have been so strict as to "steer completely clear from Smash", in terms of likes.

I have a couple cents to add:

Remember how Sakurai is handling this Smash Brothers. He is having people work in, what he calls, "hype-proof conditions" where certain developers are working on certain characters. What if he would approach the Shantae/Wayforward situation in a similar manner, by contacting only the most necessary people behind the Shantae franchise?

Where did he say that? All I recall of that is being a meme in someone's signature lol. Seriously, is there actual evidence of "hype-proof conditions"?

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
It seems that some people will come up with any excuse to limit Shantae's chances.

And I'm still laughing at the fact that some people still believe that Prima leak, especially on GameFAQs. It's a dime a dozen fake text leak. People's gullibility truly astounds me sometimes.
Tell me about it. They not only believe it but they think it has just as much validity as the ESRB leak despite it being just a simple text leak.

Blobulle

Smash Rookie
Don't get me wrong, I really want Shantae in Smash. She would be a very original addition to the game.

I don't know where you guys keep drawing these arbitrary limitations from.
From the fact every other character in Smash is from Japanese games. If Shantae makes it however, then as some others said everything will be possible. But for now...

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Where did he say that? All I recall of that is being a meme in someone's signature lol. Seriously, is there actual evidence of "hype-proof conditions"?
Point still stands even outside of that being a meme.

If there isn't proof of him saying that, that means there should be free-flow of leaks (like Smash 4 with Gematsu and ESRB). Everyone working on the project would know about everything. K. Rool and Richter however weren't leaked. Some might say that K. Rool was rumored so much he may as well have been leaked, though.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hype Proof conditions? That's a new turn of phrase.

Do they only get the dullest people in the office working on it? Like the people who get whoopee cushions on their chairs and then get the whole team written up for it?

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Hype Proof conditions? That's a new turn of phrase.

Do they only get the dullest people in the office working on it? Like the people who get whoopee cushions on their chairs and then get the whole team written up for it?
It was apparently a meme and I was mistaken.

So then if people weren't divvied up on different characters to work on, we should be able get info about everyone in the game from one person. Instead Vergeben is having to work with "multiple sources" to get leaked info about particular characters. What explains that, then?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It was apparently a meme and I was mistaken.

So then if people weren't divvied up on different characters to work on, we should be able get info about everyone in the game from one person. Instead Vergeben is having to work with "multiple sources" to get leaked info about particular characters. What explains that, then?
I think there's a lot of compartmentalisation involved. Most of the big leaks only concern things that are all in the same trailer, ergo someone has see the trailer, not anything related to the game.

BTW, I fleshed out the chair theory part of the google doc. Don't believe it but no reason to not make sure it's documented.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Tell me about it. They not only believe it but they think it has just as much validity as the ESRB leak despite it being just a simple text leak.
I know, right? What makes this worse is that this is a simple fake text leak that anyone and their grandmother could make. At least the ESRB leak had video, which was what made it credible. This is just another fake 4Chan text leak that should not be taken seriously.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
I think there's a lot of compartmentalisation involved. Most of the big leaks only concern things that are all in the same trailer, ergo someone has see the trailer, not anything related to the game.
I think our best bet of getting Shantae at this point is that the people possibly responsible for her inclusion as a potential fighter have to be completely silent (it's either that at this point [a la K. Rool and Richter] or she's not a playable fighter--seeing as how so many different people are willing to give Vergeben his info). So do the play-testers who have to get exposed to every character in order to balance the game. And then there's the chance she gets leaked if someone has info on an upcoming direct like you said (assuming she is in that direct). If she's not in a direct, well... she's likely not in at all (unless they have something else entirely up their sleeve, but I'm not holding my breath).

Last edited:
Top Bottom