• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member

At first I was going to be a smart aleck and point out how Shantae can't transform into vehicles, only animals. But then I remembered how in his own games, Yoshi is able to transform into vehicles.

If Shantae gets confirmed I now want there to be piles of fanart of Shantae as Yoshi as best buds like what happened with Cloud and Isabelle.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
At first I was going to be a smart aleck and point out how Shantae can't transform into vehicles, only animals. But then I remembered how in his own games, Yoshi is able to transform into vehicles.

If Shantae gets confirmed I now want there to be piles of fanart of Shantae as Yoshi as best buds like what happened with Cloud and Isabelle.
Well, there is this.

Stephano

Smash Journeyman

But the Blaster Master Zero Car Transformation tho

Edit: Got beaten too it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, there is this.
GET YOUR LOGIC OUT OF HERE! SHANTAE CAR!
And after looking it up, I found out what you guys were actually talking about with this.

I'm just going to................go wallow in my own ignorance now :sadeyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Update on twitter's #bowsette.

It is trending IN JAPAN!!! using this hastag.... #クッパ姫

I can only hope Shantae is this big in the Japan trends.

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
Hey, it could be more proof that Shantae went to Smash Bros. That's some Chozo stuff if iv'e ever seen it.
Shantae = Metroid + Castlevania
Shantae is able to fit into small spaces. Samus is able to fit into small spaces
Shantae exists in the same universe as Metroid Confirmed!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Update on twitter's #bowsette.

It is trending IN JAPAN!!! using this hastag.... #クッパ姫

I can only hope Shantae is this big in the Japan trends.
It has been trending for a while from what I heard. It's kinda crazy. I can just see Nintendo's social media team in a panic after both the "Toad" incident and now this.

D

Deleted member

Don't even tell me she's got her whole body in there. "Beep Beep I'mma car.
This has already been resolved, leave me alone!!!!!!! :sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes::sadeyes:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Shantae is able to fit into small spaces. Samus is able to fit into small spaces
Ummm, hey. Might wanna check that tinfoil hat. I think it's for the wrong type of theories here lol

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
That Koopa-hime stuff has spread to the Discords I frequent.
And Rising Superstar Liam has run out space on his phone.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
She's a women of many talents, number one talent being making me laugh more than any other video game has (Except maybe Portal)
Can’t argue with you there.

That reminds me of when we were talking a few days ago about the interactions between Yoshi and Sky because of eggs. I had a thought, what if Sky didn’t know Yoshi forms eggs out of enemies and she catches Yoshi throwing eggs around?

Stephano

Smash Journeyman

That reminds me of when we were talking a few days ago about the interactions between Yoshi and Sky because of eggs. I had a thought, what if Sky didn’t know Yoshi forms eggs out of enemies and she catches Yoshi throwing eggs around?
The things I would give for a Shantae animated "anything" by Wayforward (& Nintendo)
(1) All of my money
(2) ...?

D

Deleted member

The things I would give for a Shantae animated "anything" by Wayforward
That sad, sad moment when you remember that Half-Genie Hero would have had fully animated AND voiced cartoon cutscenes if it's kickstarter campaign received more funds.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hi. looks like you guys are having fun.

I'm mostly just looking forward to the next direct.
Maybe we'll see a shantae car

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
The things I would give for a Shantae animated "anything" by Wayforward (& Nintendo)
(1) All of my money
(2) ...?
Dude, I’ve been toying around with the idea for an animated Shantae series (probably would be best suited on Netflix). I have a couple ideas of other stories I could see happening in it, but so far the most thought I’ve put into it is
A. How they’d adapt certain scenes/aspects of the game into an animated format
and B. The voice cast outside of the ones from HGH (aside from a different voice for Risky)

EDIT: If anyone wants to ask me who I have for the voice cast, feel free to ask, I would love to share what I have so far.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Except the silence of Yacht Club Games isn't entirely true (which potentially bodes even better for Shantae). They have mentioned that "Shovel Knight has a 0.001% chance of making it in Smash" either last year or this year shortly after Smash Ultimate was teased in March. I don't remember when it happened, but I remember the tweet. Probably still exists in their twitter feed.

If you follow the idea that companies are under NDA when making deals with Nintendo/Smash, we could infer two possibilities from this:

1. NDAs are less restrictive for companies whose characters are becoming ATs instead of playable fighters.
2. Shovel Knight AT could have been developed in-between now and whenever Yacht Club Games made that statement.

If you follow the idea that companies are under NDA when making deals with Nintendo/Smash, we also have to consider this:

1. Whenever companies/"important people in those companies" make explicit statements about their character and Smash Brothers (even if it is them expressing their support), their character is NOT getting in Smash (as this would violate NDA--you're not allowed, legally, to say either way without consequences). This would apply to Dante from DMC, Banjo Kazooie, and more recently, Sora from Kingdom Hearts (some people are interpreting it the other way, but they are clearly not aware of the implications that NDAs would have). There are probably others.

Also, on the topic of Indie Fighter games and the potential WayForward NCC (Non-compete clause):

1. Indie Pogo devs have officially confirmed that they approached WF to get Shantae in their game and were denied.
2. Blade Strangers devs have openly expressed interest in getting Shantae in their game as well, but she is not in.

Keep in mind that she is easily, by far, the most requested character to appear in these games--yet she has not. At least one of these occasions was because there was confirmed denial of having Shantae appear. It is entirely possible that the other two indie fighting crossover game had a similar occurrence that we are not aware of.

There is probably even more evidence, but this is what I could add off the top of my head.
Link to those two bits with Blade Strangers and Indie Pogo?

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Except the silence of Yacht Club Games isn't entirely true (which potentially bodes even better for Shantae). They have mentioned that "Shovel Knight has a 0.001% chance of making it in Smash" either last year or this year shortly after Smash Ultimate was teased in March. I don't remember when it happened, but I remember the tweet. Probably still exists in their twitter feed.

If you follow the idea that companies are under NDA when making deals with Nintendo/Smash, we could infer two possibilities from this:

1. NDAs are less restrictive for companies whose characters are becoming ATs instead of playable fighters.
2. Shovel Knight AT could have been developed in-between now and whenever Yacht Club Games made that statement.

If you follow the idea that companies are under NDA when making deals with Nintendo/Smash, we also have to consider this:

1. Whenever companies/"important people in those companies" make explicit statements about their character and Smash Brothers (even if it is them expressing their support), their character is NOT getting in Smash (as this would violate NDA--you're not allowed, legally, to say either way without consequences). This would apply to Dante from DMC, Banjo Kazooie, and more recently, Sora from Kingdom Hearts (some people are interpreting it the other way, but they are clearly not aware of the implications that NDAs would have). There are probably others.

Also, on the topic of Indie Fighter games and the potential WayForward NCC (Non-compete clause):

1. Indie Pogo devs have officially confirmed that they approached WF to get Shantae in their game and were denied.
2. Blade Strangers devs have openly expressed interest in getting Shantae in their game as well, but she is not in.

Keep in mind that she is easily, by far, the most requested character to appear in these games--yet she has not. At least one of these occasions was because there was confirmed denial of having Shantae appear. It is entirely possible that the other two indie fighting crossover game had a similar occurrence that we are not aware of.

There is probably even more evidence, but this is what I could add off the top of my head.
Oof, after reading this I'm more then convinced she's in

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
Dude, I’ve been toying around with the idea for an animated Shantae series (probably would be best suited on Netflix). I have a couple ideas of other stories I could see happening in it, but so far the most thought I’ve put into it is
A. How they’d adapt certain scenes/aspects of the game into an animated format
and B. The voice cast outside of the ones from HGH (aside from a different voice for Risky)
Oh really now, nice.
I always pictured the series to be structured like that Sonic Boom TV show. That show is as meta as it gets, seriously.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

She can do the same thing with her warbird eggs, though... and she may also be the only person that can get Falco to turn down his sass.

Shantae also gets different powers from outfits, so it's clearly the Mario universe!
But she also sometimes needs to find an item used to defeat a boss and smash pots to find goodies, so it's also the Zelda universe!
And she recently needs to find ALL the doodads to get the good ending, so it's also the Kirby universe!
Some residents in Sequin Land have a degree of medium awareness and are all extremely quirky, so it's also the Earthbound universe!

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
I have not seen full episodes of Sonic Boom. The clips I have seen are pretty good.

A Shantae show with the same type of writing could work.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Oh really now, nice.
I always pictured the series to be structured like that Sonic Boom TV show. That show is as meta as it gets, seriously.
Oh I’m well aware of how meta that show got, I think the Shantae writers already have that kind of humor down pat.

She can do the same thing with her warbird eggs, though... and she may also be the only person that can get Falco to turn down his sass.

Shantae also gets different powers from outfits, so it's clearly the Mario universe!
But she also sometimes needs to find an item used to defeat a boss and smash pots to find goodies, so it's also the Zelda universe!
And she recently needs to find ALL the doodads to get the good ending, so it's also the Kirby universe!
Some residents in Sequin Land have a degree of medium awareness and are all extremely quirky, so it's also the Earthbound universe!
I mean at least those eggs hatch after their thrown. Also don’t forget that the series also apparently takes place in a post-apocalyptic world, so it’s also the Splatoon universe!

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Now HERE'S a thought. The last time WF mentioned Smash was right when the ballot ended, if Yacht Club was approached by Nintendo to be given the AT treatment sometime in 2017 then that's when their NDA began. I'd feel super duper good about Shantae in Smash if NOT for that one James Montagana interview about indies in Smash that took place iiiinnnnn January of last year.
It's a 28 minute podcast so I guess I'll listen through it while drawing at let anyone know if he talks about Shantae in Smash or just indies as a whole since this could probably make or break any NDA argument and mean Shantae is stuck in Assist Trophy hell like Shovel Knight.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So I'm pretty sure the guy behind this just said right out of the gate that this is fake to avoid people jumping the gun too much.

That being said, how well do you think it meshes with Ultimate's Render Style?

D

Deleted member

Now HERE'S a thought. The last time WF mentioned Smash was right when the ballot ended, if Yacht Club was approached by Nintendo to be given the AT treatment sometime in 2017 then that's when their NDA began. I'd feel super duper good about Shantae in Smash if NOT for that one James Montagana interview about indies in Smash that took place iiiinnnnn January of last year.
It's a 28 minute podcast so I guess I'll listen through it while drawing at let anyone know if he talks about Shantae in Smash or just indies as a whole since this could probably make or break any NDA argument and mean Shantae is stuck in Assist Trophy hell like Shovel Knight.
That’s AT part ain’t happening because James did not know she was coming to smash because Matt was the one that knew and he must have told him about her in smash later

Also with all of this evidence we have there’s no way she’s an AT
AngrySun88 AngrySun88 DeltaSceptile DeltaSceptile TheRandomCities4 TheRandomCities4 Stephano Stephano cheer her up with all of this evidence will ya?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
I tweeted the Shantae Car at Wayforward/Matt Bozon. I hope I get a response. lol

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Link to those two bits with Blade Strangers and Indie Pogo?
Indie Pogo has an FAQ about Shantae in their Kickstarter:

"As of writing this FAQ, we have not "formally" reached out to Wayforward. We want Wayforward to see fan interest first as it will strengthen our pitch. Feel free to continue to express your interest to them (so long as nobody is being spammy). Let your voice be heard! We think she would be a great fit as well :D"

This was back in September 2017. Interestingly enough, she's the only character with an FAQ dedicated to. It certainly speaks volumes about her popularity.

The reason why I said "officially declined by WF" is apparently multiple people have recently stated this online in various places. However, I'm unable to find proof of it. If it exists, it's in an e-mail of Indie Pogo backers (I didn't back it) or somewhere in their twitter feed or twitter replies. If it doesn't exist, I will have to retract this statement.

Blade Strangers:

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
Shantae probably has more evidence in her favor than any other character besides Geno and Ken.

I've yet to see anything that discounts her chances no matter what excuses the trolls and haters come up with.
TBH she has more evidence than both of those characters combined... Circumstantially speaking. The only thing we know about Geno is that Sakurai and fans want him and he had a costume, but so did Ashley and another current AT (so that's wonky territory). For Ken, the only thing we have on him is "leaks" and fan justification as to why he'd be in the game (him being the "Original Echo" was an argument created by fans to validate a leak).

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Indie Pogo has an FAQ about Shantae in their Kickstarter:

"As of writing this FAQ, we have not "formally" reached out to Wayforward. We want Wayforward to see fan interest first as it will strengthen our pitch. Feel free to continue to express your interest to them (so long as nobody is being spammy). Let your voice be heard! We think she would be a great fit as well :D"

This was back in September 2017. Interestingly enough, she's the only character with an FAQ dedicated to. It certainly speaks volumes about her popularity.

The reason why I said "officially declined by WF" is apparently multiple people have recently stated this online in various places. However, I'm unable to find proof of it. If it exists, it's in an e-mail of Indie Pogo backers (I didn't back it) or somewhere in their twitter feed or twitter replies. If it doesn't exist, I will have to retract this statement.

Blade Strangers:

INTERESTING...

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
I just got a spam warning? Have I been spamming? I don’t think so, I feel like I’ve been adding meaningful stuff to the conversation. Ya I threw in a dumb joke but it was light hearted.

Top Bottom