• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Slow, I work a lot so I don't have a lot of free time.

Hopefully I get it out before she's revealed lol.

If you do, please @ me.
Wouldn't it be a kick in the teeth if, as soon as you've got the video finished and starting to upload it, Shantae is revealed for Smash?

D

Deleted member

Hey guys, just dropping in to say that I personally don't believe that she'll be introduced via Direct, and rather on a random day. I'm thinking Sept. 30, because that's when HGH released in 2016. And I probably won't be back here, but nice job to you guys.

Shark X

Smash Lord
Hey guys, just dropping in to say that I personally don't believe that she'll be introduced via Direct, and rather on a random day. I'm thinking Sept. 30, because that's when HGH released in 2016. And I probably won't be back here, but nice job to you guys.
Similar to this theory, I figured Shantae won't have a CGI trailer just because she's an indie character. I can see her having a trailer similar to Cloud and Ryu. I mean if two of the biggest icons in gaming didn't get a CGI trailer, I don't see them making one for an indie character.

Shark X

Smash Lord
Oh. Well, I hear the word "Nightmare" associated with Nintendo, and the guy from the Metroid series with that name, is the first thing that comes to mind.
I don't remember any Metroid character by that name, but I also only played Prime 1 and 3. When I hear 'Nightmare' associated with Nintendo, I think Kirby, not just because I knew the existing character since the early 90's, but also because Kirby games are all about dreams and such. Or at least dreams USED to be the theme in Kirby games.

Shadowknight1

Similar to this theory, I figured Shantae won't have a CGI trailer just because she's an indie character. I can see her having a trailer similar to Cloud and Ryu. I mean if two of the biggest icons in gaming didn't get a CGI trailer, I don't see them making one for an indie character.
They didn't make CGI trailers for ANY of the DLC, so...not really applicable.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The DLC characters didn't have DLC but they did have developer exclusive in game poses and animations, machninima style.

You know the sort, doing their victory poses on stage, impossible camera pans, things like that.

Closest we got was Mewtwo's inital 3D model reveal and Ryu recreating the opening of Super Street Fighter 2

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
Yeah, considering there's no way Nintendo's online can handle something like that...then again...Fortnite exists on Switch...
Fortnite doesn't use Nintendo's P2P service. It uses Epic Games' servers.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I'd wager none of the DLC characters got proper CGI trailers in order to save on costs. Since development on Ultimate had already started around that time perhaps instead of getting additional budget to make CGI trailers for Smash 4 DLC, they thought it'd be more prudent to divert those funds into Ultimate instead.

So if Shantae is in the base game I think she'll get a proper trailer, if she's DLC then I could see them just doing gameplay as the team and budget usually shrinks once the game is complete and they move onto DLC.

I'm also glad you guys even pointed out the CGI trailers in the first place as I honestly hadn't even noticed it. I was too hype about all the DLC characters to notice that they didn't get special CGI included for their reveals. Plus with so many other fighting games that just use game footage for character reveals, it just seemed normal to me.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Another option I could see is maybe there could be a 2D animated trailer for her created by a different animation studio like they did with Palutena’s trailer. Actually the final stretch goal for HGH was going to be animated cutscenes, so it’s likely something Wayforward could pull off or at least had a studio in mind

Shark X

Smash Lord
Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So, we basically have seen 4 styles of trailer so far:

• CGI: The bread-and-butter, used for the vast majority of reveals and usually sets a somewhat serious tone.
  • Hand-drawn: Only seen with Palutena's reveal, and was likely meant to coincide with the Uprising anime shorts. So perhaps this is only used as matter of convenience or stylistic choice.
  • Retro: Characters are portrayed as their original sprites before transitioning back to CGI. Only used with Duck Hunt, naturally to highlight his game's age while lacking other modern portayals.
  • Gameplay-only: No special animation, only special editing and angles. So far used for DLC and Echoes.
CGI is pretty much always the most likely option for a newcomer reveal, though for a character like Shantae who currently lacks a true 3D portrayal a hand-drawn one is certainly possible.

D

Deleted member

Different positions, but same characters. I didn't buy into this at first, but starting to wonder now. If only they had Wario in it somewhere...

EDIT: Also if they HAD included Dixie in this game, would have made more sense to use her than Diddy. Not just because of gender, but also because of hair.
They would but they chose diddy and bayo also they didn’t put wario there because it would make an obvious so yes they are hinting at her with the choice of fighters because where there’s smoke there’s fire!

Shadowknight1

So, we basically have seen 4 styles of trailer so far:

• CGI: The bread-and-butter, used for the vast majority of reveals and usually sets a somewhat serious tone.
  • Hand-drawn: Only seen with Palutena's reveal, and was likely meant to coincide with the Uprising anime shorts. So perhaps this is only used as matter of convenience or stylistic choice.
  • Retro: Characters are portrayed as their original sprites before transitioning back to CGI. Only used with Duck Hunt, naturally to highlight his game's age while lacking other modern portayals.
  • Gameplay-only: No special animation, only special editing and angles. So far used for DLC and Echoes.
CGI is pretty much always the most likely option for a newcomer reveal, though for a character like Shantae who currently lacks a true 3D portrayal a hand-drawn one is certainly possible.
And even the CGI ones have had different styles. Just look at the trailer that introduced Lucina and Robin. Though, all the ones for Ultimate have had the same style so far.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Since sakurai gave that shantae pose to Zelda since her last posses weren't that much character that would mean........she is indeed a fighter! and she has other victory poses and gave that one to her since he wants the fighters to have lots of character in them (I will explain later)
Actually, i consider the Zelda pose a small knock against her. Because why would they give Zelda that pose if Shantae herself was playable?

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
imo, the pose is just a coincidence. Shantae isn't the only character to have ever been in that pose. It's iconic to her being featured in her main art and all, but it may have been given to Zelda as just a general "cool action pose".

Swade

Smash Apprentice
When you're just taking a break from the thread, but you can't ever really escape.

Taking a quote from one of my favorite songs. "You can check out anytime you like. But you can never leave!"

D

Deleted member

imo, the pose is just a coincidence. Shantae isn't the only character to have ever been in that pose. It's iconic to her being featured in her main art and all, but it may have been given to Zelda as just a general "cool action pose".
Oh.......but it’s ok we still have these solid points of evedence for her to be a guaranteed fighter. Right Stephano Stephano ?

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Oh.......but it’s ok we still have these solid points of evedence for her to be a guaranteed fighter. Right ?
Again, not trying to be a downer. Other points like WF's silence and possible Jammies Mode hints still stand, I just think the chairs and pose are the only two kind of reaching tinfoil territory.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Again, not trying to be a downer. Other points like WF's silence and possible Jammies Mode hints still stand, I just think the chairs and pose are the only two kind of reaching tinfoil territory.
Actually it isn't just the chairs but the whole room is dedicated to he because it’s more tropic the couch is middle eastern fabric and there’s a gravy dish on one of the shelves similar to a genie lamp go look at Freelance Spy Freelance Spy rtc on page 310 and you will see why.

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys! I'm back!

...after...the whole debacle of my car being stolen...still gone.

But anyway, anything new for Shantae? Did the Stanley leak ever show that fake vid or whatev's? Never checked.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Hey guys! I'm back!

But anyway, anything new for Shantae? Did the Stanley leak ever show that fake vid or whatev's? Never checked.
From my understanding the Stanleaker never provided a video or made any additional posts. I haven't been keeping up with it super closely or anything though, so I'm not sure if that's still the case as of right now.

D

Deleted member

Hey guys! I'm back!

1.the Stanley leak was fake
2.those blog spots were still meant for her
3.WF is still out of character likely to be a fighter
4.all of the stuff we went through like the nda/bcc makes a lot sense because she is Indeed a fighter

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
From my understanding the Stanleaker never provided a video or made any additional posts. I haven't been keeping up with it super closely or anything though, so I'm not sure if that's still the case as of right now.
I've been keeping an eye on the Leak Thread and yeah, nothing's happened in regards to the Stanley Leak so that's another fake leak we can disregard. However, the Prima leak (the one that says that Shantae's an AT), while being dismissed as fake here, is still very much talked about on GameFAQs.

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
Oh.......but it’s ok we still have these solid points of evedence for her to be a guaranteed fighter. Right Stephano Stephano ?
I really need to organize the evidence into different categories, but ya.

My opinion on the pose is that it’s a possailty Shantae could borrow assets from Zelda to ease her development. Since she has that pose, might as well give it to Shantae as well. IDK. Lots of characters borrow assets and not echos.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
1.the Stanley leak was fake
2.those blog spots were still meant for her
3.WF is still out of character likely to be a fighter
4.all of the stuff we went through like the nda/bcc makes a lot sense because she is Indeed a fighter
Now THAT'S the kind of attitude I like ! :D Couldn't agree more

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
I stumbled across this and I thought this could help us visualize what Shantae’s animations would be like in 3D.

Top Bottom