• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Just to let you guys know that #bowsette is trending on twitter. The Japanese have already started noticing it. It won't be long before it becomes mainstream over there. Nintendo has created a new trend.

Anyway I wonder when the next Direct will happen?
I'm loving all thise Bowsette art. Gender bend is always a fun thing for me, so seeing all these are awesome

Yeah, but... ONLY in Japan. Everywhere else it's cult status at best.

I know it's a common assumption that Sakurai pays more attention to the japanese fanbase than western ones on average, but remember how we almost didn't get Marth & Roy in western releases of Melee until a playtester from there spoke up about it.

Point is, it'll take more than just being really big in Japan to get in Smash. Monster Hunter was in a similar boat until recently with the slowly increasing western fanbase cultivated by the fourth generation games, that then exploded with the release of World.
Yeah I know she has like no chance, its just she is a gaming legend... in japan... and touhou is slowly moveing out now. Just saying, reimu in smash would be amazing

D

Deleted member

Poll time

Is a indie likely to be a fighter(shantae)

Results will be collected tomorrow morning

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Mentioned this in TheChoZenOne TheChoZenOne 's chat, but no one responded, but I was thinking...

Since we know Shantae didn't save all these girls from the mermaid situation, does this make Techno Barron the biggest mass murderer in the series? O.o
I would say YES. Because not only did Shantae not find out about the kidnapped girls until after some had probably been, sadly, made into monster chow, so were quite a few mermaids.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Mentioned this in TheChoZenOne TheChoZenOne 's chat, but no one responded, but I was thinking...

Since we know Shantae didn't save all these girls from the mermaid situation, does this make Techno Barron the biggest mass murderer in the series? O.o
Essentially, yeah. Quite horrifying the little gremlin Baron is.
Heck, he got off easy with a million years of mandatory community service instead of just being stuck in some hellhole prison or just flat out executed.

Last edited:

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
Man, I can't wait to see the internet explode when she gets announced. I've been thinking about how the internet would react.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Man, I can't wait to see the internet explode when she gets announced. I've been thinking about how the internet would react.
Sadly, I think there'll be a LOT of salt from the Shovel Knight fans who will say she's not "deserving".

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

Technically we don't know that any girls died. They could have been put into the cans alive and then all saved after. Also, we don;t know that Techno Baron had sent any cans out after running out of his original supply (the Mermaids)

So it is just as possible to assume that all the girls were rescued. But either way he was killing a ton of mermaids before he ran out.

And yes, the prize for the race was a can of chow, but we don't know how old it was so it could have been mermaid. Still messed up, but the point stands that all the girls COULD have been saved.

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
Sadly, I think there'll be a LOT of salt from the Shovel Knight fans who will say she's not "deserving".
Salty food > Sugary food
While the salt will be piling up, I'm also referencing that youtubers will be like "AN INDIE CHARACTER? THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING? WILL GOKU BE REVEALED?!?!??!?!?! HUGE LEAK!"

Swade

Smash Apprentice
Technically we don't know that any girls died. They could have been put into the cans alive and then all saved after. Also, we don;t know that Techno Baron had sent any cans out after running out of his original supply (the Mermaids)

So it is just as possible to assume that all the girls were rescued. But either way he was killing a ton of mermaids before he ran out.

And yes, the prize for the race was a can of chow, but we don't know how old it was so it could have been mermaid. Still messed up, but the point stands that all the girls COULD have been saved.
Ooof, this night got dark about just one level involving techno baron.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Ooof, this night got dark about just one level involving techno baron.
I mean, it wouldn't be the only time the games got dark. Like Rotty betraying Shantae because she wanted to eat her brains. Or when you killed that one guy by turning him to stone and then the statue falling and shattering.

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
So I was chatting it up with our local brain eater @Connorb0t2 and he felt like I should share this tinfoil theory with y'all. Keep in mind that I don't fully believe this myself (the first one) but Connor thinks its with discussion.
This is kind of a "tinfoil hat" theory, but....... how did Wayforward get the time to work on Jammies mode? Think about it. While they already had a base for her in her pajamas from the opening of the game, they still had to create new animations which take a long time. This game took 5 years to complete and they had a ton of work to do. So my theory is this, what if they received some sort of payment to include her in smash and then they used that money to make the extra mode. Its very tinfoil-y but it has been on my mind for the past couple of days.

The next thing that comes to mind is the sales record of HGH on the Switch. While the success of the game would not play into the base roster, i believe it would certainly bring her into the realm of a potential DLC character. HOWEVER, Nintendo is already quite aware of Pirate's Curse's success, enough for it to appear on the front page of the Eshop for A REALLY FLIPP'N LONG TOME as well as showing her on the cover of Nintendo Power. Nintendo definitely knows she exists and is a financial force to be reckoned with. Her name = sales for fans. I'm buying Indivisible SOLELY because she is in it. Heck the only reason i got a switch a few weeks ago was because I realized the potential for our girl to be in the game. Nintendo will have sold me the game if she is in it.

The last thing i can think of it the fan-art by that one guy who's name i cannot pronounce.

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice
With all the leaks going around lately, do you think it helps or hurts Shantae's chances that she's NEVER in any of the leaks as a playable fighter? Some list her as an Assist, but none of them, especially the big leakers, ever say she's playable.

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
With all the leaks going around lately, do you think it helps or hurts Shantae's chances that she's NEVER in any of the leaks as a playable fighter? Some list her as an Assist, but none of them, especially the big leakers, ever say she's playable.

D

Deleted member

That’s a good sign meaning WF nda/ncc is very affected they don’t want them to ruin the surprise because sakurai hates leaks

Swade

Smash Apprentice
Here's my theory on why. The reason why she isn't in some of these leaks is that the majority of them is fake. So some of these leakers would either ignore her completely, or just throw her in as an assist trophy to just rustle some jimmies.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I could use a bit of help, so one of the things I like to do when working on my art (both my original stuff and fanart) is listen to music that I think fit the characters/scenarios I’m using. I didn’t want to get sick of listening to the games’ soundtracks, so I could use some help thinking of mainstream songs that fit the Shantae characters.

For example:
Shantae: Better When I’m Dancin’ - Meagan Trainor
Risky Boots: Killer Queen - Queen, Don’t Mess With Me - Temposhark
Rottytops: Troublemaker - Olly Murs, Raise Your Glass - P!nk
Holly Lingerbean: Centuries - Fall Out Boy

EDIT: sorry I haven’t been contributing much recently, my WiFi has been garbage lately

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Since the vast majority of leaks are fake (thus made up by the minds of singular fans) I think all it really means is that the kinds of Smash fans who like the idea of lying to everyone also don;t think she has a chance or is on their radar. I'm fine with that, fake leakers are very few and we don;t need the support of such people.

Now, assuming that a small minority of leaks are real this time around (giving the benefit of the doubt as so far none of them have proven them self beyond a shadow of a doubt YET) It just means that the "real" leakers haven't seen here. Even the most revered leaker (vergeben) has openly admitted that he doesn't know about everything in the game, just the pieces he's heard from (again, I'm not really sold on him, just using it as an example)

No one believable has claimed to have seen the entire game, so I would say Shantae's chances are as of yet unaffected.

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
That’s a good sign meaning WF nda/ncc is very affected they don’t want them to ruin the surprise because sakurai hates leaks
Here's my theory on why. The reason why she isn't in some of these leaks is that the majority of them is fake. So some of these leakers would either ignore her completely, or just throw her in as an assist trophy to just rustle some jimmies.
While I do believe that 99% of leaks are fake and dumb, I do wonder, if a leak was real, how on earth do people find out about them. Like seriously, is some nintendo employee really going to risk their livelyhood or legal action just to share info on the things they work on. Look at any other game studio, we don't have people leaking information on Cyberpunk 2077 or Naughty Dog's games. The only "leaks" I know are true are crap in Valve's code for games like Dota 2 and SDK updates. My point is, leaks are dumb and Vergaban is just lucky.

Shark X

Smash Lord
I mean, it wouldn't be the only time the games got dark. Like Rotty betraying Shantae because she wanted to eat her brains. Or when you killed that one guy by turning him to stone and then the statue falling and shattering.
She killed his wife at the same time. It's one thing that it was an accident to kill both of them, but Shantae didn't seem to even remotely care.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
She killed his wife at the same time. It's one thing that it was an accident to kill both of them, but Shantae didn't seem to even remotely care.
Shantae is a mermaid so she has to be COLD BLOODED
If she gets revealed she will have to be tried for murder 'cuz she will have killed the leaks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Tinfoil hat theory incoming!

Since Zelda’s creator worked with smash he may have saw shantae as a fighter and he wanted to learn more about her because she makes references to Zelda so what if he went to James because he saw him at this thing and got a copy from him so he would learn more about him.....

Oof now there’s a tinfoil hat on me:dizzy::p

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Tinfoil hat theory incoming!

"Since Zelda’s creator has worked with smash and saw shantae as a fighter he wanted to learn more about her because there were a lot of references to Zelda so what if he stoped by James and got a copy of hgh to learn about her oof now there’s a tinfoil hat on me now"
I saw that it didn't show up properly so I just undid the spoiler tag in the quote.

Shark X

Smash Lord
So I was chatting it up with our local brain eater @Connorb0t2 and he felt like I should share this tinfoil theory with y'all. Keep in mind that I don't fully believe this myself (the first one) but Connor thinks its with discussion.
I did mention this a few months ago (not here I don't think, but somewhere) that I'm pretty sure after the Kickstarter ended, Wikipedia mentioned they has a mysterious unnamed backer to help them reach other stretch goals. It might have been something I read wrong, and I didn't think it'd be Nintendo, otherwise Shantae 4 would have ended up Nintendo exclusive.

Top Bottom