• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tybalt: Herbal One

Smash Cadet
Oi, if shantae was an assist trophy, what would she do?
Probably what she does during the Shantae/Nega Shantae boss fights during Risky's mode and FTTE. Maybe without darkening everything in bat form.

Edit: I would say she has great potential as either a Playable Character or Assist Trophy.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
[...]
Oubliette of Suffering is clearly an homage to Lower Norfair. It's lava-filled ruins, you find the speed-boosting upgrade there and the boss is a dragon(well technically wyvern)-like creature that attacks primarily with fire breath and a weaponized tail. :p
Fun Trivia: "Oubliette" is also the name of the final area, in "Metroid Prime: Hunters".

Then again she did say she should have "get rid of her friends when she had the chance" when Shantae appeared before her in the Volcano during the Pirate Queen quest story line so......
Except the Pirate Queen story line is not canon.
Plus, it wouldn't be the first time for Risky to say something like this.
But she generally never follows through with it and so it's generally just her talking tough, but nothing else...

The only time she actually tries to kill someone, is when she is consumed by fury,
Perfect example being: The Final Boss Battle against her, in the very first game.

The entire game she was out to create her ultimate machine, to rule the world.
But she was never out to kill anyone, just to rule the seas with an iron fist.
Heck, when she surprised Shantae after the final Stone-Dungeon and stole all the stones from her, she didn't kill Shantae but just tied her up.

But all that changes, once you've destroyed her Tinkertank and thus thwart her plans.
Which causes her to snap and only then is she out for blood!

Risky Boots said:
I'll slice you to bits and dance on your runny innards!

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
What songs/remixes should shantae have in smash? Give me a list please.
Dance Through the Danger ~ Half Genie Hero
We Love Burning Town ~ Pirate's Curse
Neo Burning Town ~ Half Genie Hero
Boss Battle ~ Pirate's Curse
Boss Battle ~ Half Genie Hero
Scuttle Town ~ Pirate's Curse
She's Got Moves! ~ Risky's Revenge
Trip Through Sequin Land ~ Pirate's Curse
Mermaid Falls Medley ~ Half Genie Hero (both Mermaid Falls and Counterfeit Mermaids)
Barrel-O-Mermaids ~ Half Genie Hero
Tassel Town ~ Half Genie Hero
Rescue Girl ~ Mighty Switch Force 2

Boss theme that is in EVERY game, Dance Through the Danger voiced by Cristina Vee (though they removed the lyrics from Snake Eater, so songs probably won't exist now), and the final boss music of Shantae 4.[j/QUOTE]

Should be fine considering they have the DK Rap in there again and the F Zero remix has Japanese lyrics

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
You must not have read the part of my post where I talked about the fact that MC does in fact have a legacy and does in fact still have a dedicated audience that have a genuine like of the game. Calling MC a fad after it's been around for 7 years is just flat out wrong. And where did I ever say "Nintendo should capitalize on MC's popularity and include Steve so they can make bank."
the problem is Steve has no organic movement, he only has like 6 points of articulation. Even G&W in Smash has an organic flow to him despite the way he transistions between moves due to his change in shape. Even Vllager of AC has forms of expressions and an actual sense of character through the interaction with others in their towns. The animation for Steve throwing a punch, throwing someone, and swinging a weapon would all look the same cause his entire arm only moves from the shoulder, he literally has no elbow or hands or anything that bends to provide fluid animation

Steve would look like **** in game both aesthetically and mechanically and he has NO character, not even a basic set of expressions.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
the problem is Steve has no organic movement, he only has like 6 points of articulation. Even G&W in Smash has an organic flow to him despite the way he transistions between moves due to his change in shape.
I think this is a big deal. For Game&Watch, even if his movement is limited, you can see the exact motions he goes though, it's just missing the inbetween frames. Game&Watch is not jarring to look at, he's really just a fancy stick figure, but a figure nontheless.

Steve is like, he has no joints. His "arms" and "legs" are long poles protruding from him, they don't bend, twist, or move anything remotely like any kind of person would move. I want to you think about Steve trying to perform Marth's Down Smash. Unless Sakurai deliberately messes with Steve to give him a range of movement impossible for him to achieve in his own game, Steve will not look any better than a crappy T-posing model being messed around with in GMod.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
To anyone actually arguing, Nintendo is at their best when they don't listen to the fans and just do their own thing...
This is very rich, considering this is supposed to be an Anti-Steve argument, while strengthening Shantae's possibilities in Smash.

But know this: If Nintendo completely ignored the fans all the time, Shantae would never stand a chance for Smash.
And if they didn't listen, we wouldn't have gotten Ridley, King K. Rool, Chrom, Dark Samus or Simon Belmont in Smash.

Heck, even when it comes to Splatoon, that argument is not true.
Since if it weren't for the fans requesting for it to no end, we would never have gotten playable Octolings, as well as the amazing Octo Expansion.

I agree, that Nintendo shouldn't become complete fanservice.
They should keep doing their own thing.
But meeting with the fans halfway and heeding some of their wishes, is not a bad thing!

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Saving this and I also want this to happen.
I am like seriously Nintendo "do you have ANY idea of the amount of material you just provided your fans with?!?!"

But hey it would be original way for Bowser to take over the Kingdom without alerting Mario of the change until it is too late.

zferolie

Smash Hero
If you guys remember, Risky has standards. She overthrew her former boss the pirate king because she wanted power but also she felt he was too cruel.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
To anyone actually arguing, Nintendo is at their best when they don't listen to the fans and just do their own thing...
This is very rich, considering this is supposed to be an Anti-Steve argument, while strengthening Shantae's possibilities in Smash.

But know this: If Nintendo completely ignored the fans all the time, Shantae would never stand a chance for Smash.
And if they didn't listen, we wouldn't have gotten Ridley, King K. Rool, Chrom, Dark Samus or Simon Belmont in Smash.

Heck, even when it comes to Splatoon, that argument is not true.
Since if it weren't for the fans requesting for it to no end, we would never have gotten playable Octolings, as well as the amazing Octo Expansion.

I agree, that Nintendo shouldn't become complete fanservice.
They should keep doing their own thing.
But meeting with the fans halfway and heeding some of their wishes, is not a bad thing!
yeah but....Steve sucks.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
...And what was the answer?
They explained how they don;t have the ability to publish on their own, so to make a physical Pirate's Curse for Switch they would need some other company to publish. So, no plans at the moment but they will keep us posted. At least this time the response wasn't as corporate as some of their past ones they had, Maybe Exseed will step up and bring the game Physical. I haven;t bought it for Switch yet because i'm holding out hope for that.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I can try:
1. The posts that are in question should’ve happened after the nindies direct.
2. Do you know of a single indie character that has more circumstantial evidence than Shantae? Of course not, there isn’t one.
3. Shantae has the most real evidence/“coincidences” pointing to her inclusion out of any character outside of leaks.
4. Wayforward is awfully quiet for her not to be in the game.
5. Considering she isn’t in any other fighting games, a potential NCC could be happening right now.
That’s why we connect the missing posts to Shantae. But remember, it’s just a theory... A SMASH THEORY!
@Connorb0t2 I tried.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
If you guys remember, Risky has standards. She overthrew her former boss the pirate king because she wanted power but also she felt he was too cruel.
Yeah, this is true. Personally, I don't see why some people think the story of HGH conflicts with Pirate's Curse. Heck, Shantae even calls Risky out for being back to her old tricks. Risky may have gained some respect for Shantae during their travels, but she made it clear that she had no intention on going "goody goody".

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
I can try:
1. The posts that are in question should’ve happened after the nindies direct.
2. Do you know of a single indie character that has more circumstantial evidence than Shantae? Of course not, there isn’t one.
3. Shantae has the most real evidence/“coincidences” pointing to her inclusion out of any character outside of leaks.
4. Wayforward is awfully quiet for her not to be in the game.
5. Considering she isn’t in any other fighting games, a potential NCC could be happening right now.
That’s why we connect the missing posts to Shantae. But remember, it’s just a theory... A SMASH THEORY!
@Connorb0t2 I tried.
Oh, there were posts missing after the Indie direct? I know that the Earthquake + Direct delay pushed posts back but I had no idea there were missing posts as early as the Nindies direct..

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Boss theme that is in EVERY game, Dance Through the Danger voiced by Cristina Vee (though they removed the lyrics from Snake Eater, so songs probably won't exist now), and the final boss music of Shantae 4.
Have they removed the singing from Ashley's song? if not then i would think the singing in Dance through the Danger would probably be left alone.

I don't know the song "Snake Eater" could there have been some lyrics in it that were problematic which might explain them being removed?

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Oh, there were posts missing after the Indie direct? I know that the Earthquake + Direct delay pushed posts back but I had no idea there were missing posts as early as the Nindies direct..
Yeah post #’s 120 and 121 are still mysteriously missing after that for some reason even after the missing direct posts were filled with the posts after the direct, as most thought they would be.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Yeah post #’s 120 and 121 are still mysteriously missing after that for some reason even after the missing direct posts were filled with the posts after the direct, as most thought they would be.
Well, a newcomer DOES get 2 posts after getting revealed, however, I don't know what it is but...I just don't know if this is a theory to subscribe to in terms of Shantae being in Smash, I don't know...

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Well, a newcomer DOES get 2 posts after getting revealed, however, I don't know what it is but...I just don't know if this is a theory to subscribe to in terms of Shantae being in Smash, I don't know...
It does make you wonder tho, the two missing post coming after the Indie Direct and the Direct itself ending with a "One more thing" only for it to be just some indie game. Not like a super big deal game or something no one ever heard of that was only coming to Nintendo.

It definitely takes some tin foil, but it's not impossible to imagine that they had planned her reveal, then changed their mind for whatever reason, but the direct was already filmed so they just took one game out of the middle of the direct and put it in the end.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
The real tinfoil hat theory is that Shantae was planned, but ended up being cut for some dumb reason (god I hope this isn’t the case). But in the end, we just have to wait for that inevitable October direct/info drop.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Do we know just how many other newcomers only got two blog posts after being revealed? The theory can be compared to other trends that way.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
The real tinfoil hat theory is that Shantae was planned, but ended up being cut for some dumb reason (god I hope this isn’t the case). But in the end, we just have to wait for that inevitable October direct/info drop.
you...dont cut that late in.

WreckitRyan

Smash Apprentice
I love speculation as much as the next person, but #120 is Mother/Earthbound Memories. The original poster of the blog post numbers mistakenly included #120 twice and admitted that. So #121 is the only one missing at around a day before the Nindies Direct.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Speaking of which, does everyone have plans for their tinfoil after this game is released and we don;t need it anymore? I think it would reflect well on the Shantae community if we all agreed to recycle it.

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
The memories thing made me look, and surprise! While the original Shantae came out in June, both Pirate's Curse and Risky's Revenge had an October release. It'd be a good time to announce her if Sakurai is so concerned with talking about characters on days important to their franchise in question.
Would REALLY rather not have her be fighter #69 though..

Last edited:
Top Bottom