• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

zferolie

Smash Hero
As i said it has skullkid therefore its fake. Plus still no video so they were taliing out of their butt.

4chan is trolling the youtubers like laxkid who breathes all these leak theards and beleives them all. I think hes also streaming waiting for it too

MagusOfIllusions

Smash Cadet
Why Shantae should be in over Steve.
Let's also not forget that Steve is just a fill with your own shoes type of avatar character. Steve himself has no personality at all just whatever the player in the game does with him because it's suppose to be you thats why I personally can't see him in the game besides an assist or stage.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Let's also not forget that Steve is just a fill with your own shoes type of avatar character. Steve himself has no personality at all just whatever the player in the game does with him because it's suppose to be you thats why I personally can't see him in the game besides an assist or stage.
Yeah if Microsoft wants representation then either Banjo or Master Chief. Preferably Banjo and Kazooie.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Before someone says "Link, Corrin, and Robin are avatar characters too", Corrin and Robin have distinct personalities. Link has had a great personality since Ocarina of Time, though it really came out in The Wind Waker and games after.

Shark X

Smash Lord
Yeah if Microsoft wants representation then either Banjo or Master Chief. Preferably Banjo and Kazooie.
Yeah I don't like Halo at all, but Master Chief is at least a gaming icon, and I can actually see him fit perfectly in Smash (the design of his suit facing other Smash characters I mean). Banjo of course deserves it more than either of the two. Of course when it comes to Microsoft and Rare, It'd rather see Joanna Dark. I mean one of her items was in Melee anyway, and her game was almost technically mentioned in Melee...

Staarih

Smash Master
So much negativity towards Minecraft everywhere and here I’m thinking Steve would be kind of cool and interesting lol. With how huge Minecraft is, I can at least see a reason for his inclusion.

I doubt it’s a Steve VS Shantae situation anyway, they have their own separate roads and obstacles to go through.
And why not both?

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
There's different layers of being an "avatar."

Villager and Steve would be on layer 1 where they're literally nothing. Steve more so than Villager because you hardly even ever "look" at Steve.

Robin and Corrin are on layer like 2.5 where they're avatars that can be fully customized but still have their own sorta personality that the player has no control over.

Link is sorta stuck in the middle of character and avatar, so like layer 3.5. He doesn't "speak" but he's not really meant to be customized or altered and his design and background and overall role in the story is something that can't be effected by the player. They even seem to be moving further towards the "character" realm considering that you can't even name him in BOTW.

That said none of this really prevents Steve from being in Smash, as while he is awfully boring to look at even when stacked side-by-side to other "avatars" in Smash, there's no reason to assume he can't be Smash just because he's an avatar. However, I don't want him in Smash and I don't want BK in Smash. I'd rather Smash stay largely Nintendo only, which works fine for Shantae considering she's basically already a Nintendo character.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
The problem with Steve is that he would piss off many of the fans, particularly us older fans who have stuck with Smash since the beginning. Steve would primarily appeal to younger kids and Sakurai would run the risk of pissing off a large segment of the fanbase if Steve got in over much more requested characters like Banjo or Shantae.

I'd be fine with Minecraft representation in the form of a stage or assist trophy, but not a boring and ugly character like Steve being a fighter.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
He risks angering people who don't like Minecraft, but appeals to everyone who does enjoy it. So basically the risk he takes with every character he adds to the game it seems. No matter who he adds there will be people upset due to their dislike of that particular character/series.

You do realize that there would be plenty of people just as happy to have him in as there would be those that get upset? I've never played Minecraft, I don't personally care for Steve, but I'm not going to ignore that an entire generation of kids grew up with this game and it's a game that's still being played by a pretty big audience. to this day.

I've also seen a lot of people say that Minecraft has no legacy and other things to that effect and I don't understand how you could come to that conclusion knowing how big of an IP it is.

If you don't like the game or character that's fine, but if he somehow did get in, the people who get "pissed" about these things have nothing but their own expectations to blame.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The people who leak must have been spoiled about things so much in their own lives that they don't want to be surprised anymore.

Imagine trying to find out every surprise that's ever been prepared for you in your life, like a birthday party, you wouldn't even derive any joy from it, even if you acted surprised.

There's also the underlying consequence of the advent of the Internet, which came into being while people desperately tried to seek any pieces of info about games for decades, and ever since that modern convenience was brought, it's all the more easier for people to find everything, to the point of doing the morally-dubious act of hacking just to know of any hidden secrets.

Anyway, that got a little too philosophical. I certainly hope that news for a Direct announcement will be coming by the end of the month.

In the meantime, those of you in the UK might get to play at EGX: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...lex_in_the_egx_2018_super_smash_bros_showdown
Surprise birthday parties are terrible. There is absolutely none to be had because you should know when your date of birth is. I've seen far too many cartoon episodes using the format of a character expecting a party on their birthday, and going through emotional hell when all their friends pretend to not care or remember, just to "surprise" them.

Mango The Magician Mango The Magician Don't forget how in the japanese version of BOTW, all the "yous" in quest descriptions change to "I". So it's literally Link's own thoughts that you're reading.

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Minecraft steve would upset alot of gamers because he basically the VG equivilant of Kim Kardashian at this point. Famous for being famous and only given the time of day because of his fame.

Calling Steve a gaming icon would be like calling Kim Kardashian a cultural icon. Technically its true because of the massive fame. But come on, really?

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
If we get Steve on the account that he's popular with kids and is a big IP, it's only a matter of time till HE shows up
Yeah, thats whats people are afraid of. Nintendo following popular crazes because they are the "in" thing. Whats next a Fidget spinner as a playable character?

Nintendo USED to make trends as opposed to following them. And adding Steve steve would be the epitome of following the latest craze.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Because theres a differences between letting them sell their game on their platform and shoehorning them in another game solely on fame.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Minecraft steve would upset alot of gamers because he basically the VG equivilant of Kim Kardashian at this point. Famous for being famous and only given the time of day because of his fame.
Famous because he comes from a highly successful title played by millions in it's prime and still played by a pretty sizable audience today? Minecraft had an impact, it's notable, it still has a large audience making it still relevant today. Again I'm not even in favor of him, but all the arguments brought against Steve or Minecraft in general boil down to "I don't like it", "It's not what I want".

And addressing Fortnite real quick since it's been brought up while I type this. No. There isn't a connection between MC and FN. Just as SK being an assist doesn't suddenly kill Shantae's chances because he's the "indie darling", MC getting representation doesn't suddenly mean "Oh Fortnite's popular rn, gotta add that in too".

Minecraft has been around since what 2011? It's a popular game sure, but it's also been around for a good while now. It's stood the test of time whether you like it or not. It's not as old as other beloved series that have also been around for a while, but to compare it to Fortnite which is still in it's infancy (quite literally as it's still technically an early access game) isn't a fair comparison at all.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
And addressing Fortnite real quick since it's been brought up while I type this. No. There isn't a connection between MC and FN. Just as SK being an assist doesn't suddenly kill Shantae's chances because he's the "indie darling", MC getting representation doesn't suddenly mean "Oh Fortnite's popular rn, gotta add that in too".
Oh I was joking lol, I love Fortnite

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Because theres a differences between letting them sell their game on their platform and shoehorning them in another game solely on fame.
It's just, Nintendo also seems to love Minecraft, they even published a Creeper-themed 2DS. As a company, I don't think they would have any problem with asking Sakurai about adding him, and helping him do so, to try and reach maximum profit by gathering even more of a crowd.

edit: That being said, it may not even get a playable character, but if it's in, I don't think a stage would be different than a character in regards to "shoehorning."

edit 2: I'm not saying they should do it solely on money, just that they first-and-foremost keep money in mind most of the time. I'm sure they care for fans as well, but adding Minecraft would make tons of people happy.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Oh I was joking lol, I love Fortnite
Regardless it's an argument I've seen people try to make before. And just for clarity's sake, I've got nothing against FN either, I just don't think the two are comparable in the context being argued.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Famous because he comes from a highly successful title played by millions in it's prime and still played by a pretty sizable audience today? Minecraft had an impact, it's notable, it still has a large audience making it still relevant today. Again I'm not even in favor of him, but all the arguments brought against Steve or Minecraft in general boil down to "I don't like it", "It's not what I want".

Minecraft has been around since what 2011? It's a popular game sure, but it's also been around for a good while now. It's stood the test of time whether you like it or not. It's not as old as other beloved series that have also been around for a while, but to compare it to Fortnite which is still in it's infancy (quite literally as it's still technically an early access game) isn't a fair comparison at all.
all the arguments FOR steve boil down to "hes famous" "his game made lots of $$$" "including steve can bring in lots of $$$" . Apparently its all about the $$$.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Regardless it's an argument I've seen people try to make before. And just for clarity's sake, I've got nothing against FN either, I just don't think the two are comparable in the context being argued.
Um its the same thing. Including a character solely because its a current fad.

EDIT: sorry for the double post.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
all the arguments FOR steve boil down to "hes famous" "his game made lots of $$$" "including steve can bring in lots of $$$" . Apparently its all about the $$$.
You must not have read the part of my post where I talked about the fact that MC does in fact have a legacy and does in fact still have a dedicated audience that have a genuine like of the game. Calling MC a fad after it's been around for 7 years is just flat out wrong. And where did I ever say "Nintendo should capitalize on MC's popularity and include Steve so they can make bank."

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
For supporting a character known for her huge heart and willing to see the best in anyone, we sure aren't very tolerant to other characters, are we? An unwillingness to see things from their perspective and wanting them to fail for such petty reasons as wanting to prove an annoying person wrong is disturbingly common here.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
It's just, Nintendo also seems to love Minecraft, they even published a Creeper-themed 2DS. As a company, I don't think they would have any problem with asking Sakurai about adding him, and helping him do so, to try and reach maximum profit by gathering even more of a crowd.

edit: That being said, it may not even get a playable character, but if it's in, I don't think a stage would be different than a character in regards to "shoehorning."
Except minecraft is more about its world than its characters, so a stage would be far more fitting.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
For supporting a character known for her huge heart and willing to see the best in anyone, we sure aren't very tolerant to other characters, are we?
I dunno I think it's literally just Steve.
And it's not like Steve being an unpopular, unwanted Smash pick by core fans is exclusive to Shantae threads. Pretty sure this sentiment is shared by a lot of people.
I also don't see the harm in being against a character's inclusion as long as no one is being personally attacked. I don't want Incineroar or another FE character and I think that's fine, as long as I don't drop in the Incineroar support thread and go "YOUR BARA CAT SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS" there's literally no issue in not wanting someone.

Last edited:

Confirmation

Smash Ace
He risks angering people who don't like Minecraft, but appeals to everyone who does enjoy it. So basically the risk he takes with every character he adds to the game it seems. No matter who he adds there will be people upset due to their dislike of that particular character/series.

You do realize that there would be plenty of people just as happy to have him in as there would be those that get upset? I've never played Minecraft, I don't personally care for Steve, but I'm not going to ignore that an entire generation of kids grew up with this game and it's a game that's still being played by a pretty big audience. to this day.

I've also seen a lot of people say that Minecraft has no legacy and other things to that effect and I don't understand how you could come to that conclusion knowing how big of an IP it is.

If you don't like the game or character that's fine, but if he somehow did get in, the people who get "pissed" about these things have nothing but their own expectations to blame.
I haven't been talking much on Steve but here's my two cents.

Yes, he's obviously an icon. Minecraft practically created the sandbox genre. Yes, there's an obvious legacy because he was the biggest Indie success, to the point of actually not becoming an Indie anymore. Is he reasonable as a character choice? Sure. Marketing reasons, popularity reasons, bonding even more with Microsoft reasons, etc.

That doesn't stop him from being a bad character in my eyes, though. First, he would be horribly generic. Sword, bow, shield would be key parts to his design, pickaxe (which is admittedly hardly different than a sword in a fighting game) if lucky. Potions and TNT are more interesting potential moves, but TNT would likely be like Snake's mines or Link's bombs, which isn't too unique. Potions have potential, but that would probably be a Side-B option if they don't have him swing an axe or pickaxe or something, and would probably be Harming, which is a little boring.

Asthetically, it's hard to make him work. The biggest thing about is design is being blocky and stiff, but he isn't like Game & Watch where his animations could still be fluid despite being different. You could do a Telltale kind of design, sure, but that's another can of worms.

On top of my percieved movepools and animation issues is the admittedly questionable reputation Minecraft has in the gaming community nowadays. It's more and more considered a negative thing since it went mainstream from what I've seen. Sarcastic joking, little kids game, YouTuber bait, etc. The only game I can think of that has equal or greater universal disdain is Fortnite.

Now, take all this and think of Smash speculation and Smash in general. People don't care as much about relevance and more about liking the character, their games, and what cool crazy things they can do. This is why I don't think he fits here. When people bring up Steve, he's below meme picks like Sans or Shrek; the response is basically universal seething disgust. People enjoyed the game, but there's no attachment to Steve outside of that because he's a blank, unseeable Avatar. The game has a tainted reputation, and there's not much about him that makes him super crazy (think top picks. Skull Kid is a demonic wizard basically, Isaac is an Earthbender, Geno is a puppet with a gun hand, Shantae is half-genie and can use magic and transform, Ridley is a massive evil dragon thing, K. Rool is an alligator with a cannon, Banjo is a tag team duo with various powers, Steve place blocks?, use a pickaxe bow and sword, maybe potions, maybe TNT. None of that stands out like rest). People have a perceived notion that his existence also would endanger Banjo & Kazooie's ability to be playable, and they're infinitely more popular than him, and that adds onto why people would hate his addition. If he got in, he would undoubtedly be the most despised newcomer in Smash history. You thought Isabelle's reaction was bad? This would be orders of magnitude worse.

In short, I just don't think Steve would be a good fit in Smash.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Except minecraft is more about its world than its characters, so a stage would be far more fitting.
I guess; I just think, if anyone could make Steve work, it would be Sakurai and his team. I also just thought that a stage wouldn't be different than a character in regards to "following the latest craze."

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
For supporting a character known for her huge heart and willing to see the best in anyone, we sure aren't very tolerant to other characters, are we? An unwillingness to see things from their perspective and wanting them to fail for such petty reasons as wanting to prove an annoying person wrong is disturbingly common here.
Including steve because his game made bank over a charactee shantae who as you said known for her heart is of course why people are infuriated at the thought.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I dunno I think it's literally just Steve.
Oh it's Incineroar too. I just don't think it's wise to put down others for seemingly lacking obvious moveset potential when Sakurai magic is a thing. Maybe he'd even make Steve look radically different if it suited his purposes.

Point is, I'll never say no to anyone for Smash by default unless they're not videogame characters.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
In regards to tolerance or lack thereof as meleebrawler said. It's more than Steve, some Shantae fans were pretty happy SK was an AT just out of spite due to their supposed rivalry as indies. Every fanbase has it's bad eggs. But that's a discussion that won't end well no matter what.

That aside all this Steve talk is probably off topic for a thread that's supposed to be about Shantae. That and I have to go to work now. If you guys are still at it later tonight then I'll probably chime in again.

Shark X

Smash Lord
For supporting a character known for her huge heart and willing to see the best in anyone.
That's the one thing I don't get about Shantae. After everything she and Risky did together in Shantae 3, for all she believed by the end of Shantae 4, Risky caused Shantae's mother to die (until the very end where we learned it wasn't truly the case). But this meant Risky WAS willing to commit genocide. There is like ZERO good in her at this point. If in Shantae 5, Shantae still think's there's goon in her, she needs to think back on when Risky almost killed her mother.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Calling Steve a gaming icon would be like calling Kim Kardashian a cultural icon. Technically its true because of the massive fame. But come on, really?
I will say that any comparison between Steve and, say, Pac-Man, is laughable. Sure, both are big names that can be given something to work with, but Pac-Man has been an established household name for decades, and since the dawn of gaming history. Steve is the relative new kid on the block that'll most likely be treated like the flavor of the month in a few years from now.

That's the one thing I don't get about Shantae. After everything she and Risky did together in Shantae 3, for all she believed by the end of Shantae 4, Risky caused Shantae's mother to die (until the very end where we learned it wasn't truly the case). But this meant Risky WAS willing to commit genocide. There is like ZERO good in her at this point. If in Shantae 5, Shantae still think's there's goon in her, she needs to think back on when Risky almost killed her mother.
It makes you wonder if, at some point, Shantae will pull a Goku and leave Risky to die, after Risky backstabs her despite being helped earlier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom