• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Oh it's Incineroar too. I just don't think it's wise to put down others for seemingly lacking obvious moveset potential when Sakurai magic is a thing. Maybe he'd even make Steve look radically different if it suited his purposes.

Point is, I'll never say no to anyone for Smash by default unless they're not videogame characters..
Yes and people are rightfully upset that sakurai would apply his magic towards a character solely based on the incredibly shallow reason that the character's home game made bank.

Whats next a fidget spinner character?

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
That's the one thing I don't get about Shantae. After everything she and Risky did together in Shantae 3, for all she believed by the end of Shantae 4, Risky caused Shantae's mother to die (until the very end where we learned it wasn't truly the case). But this meant Risky WAS willing to commit genocide. There is like ZERO good in her at this point. If in Shantae 5, Shantae still think's there's goon in her, she needs to think back on when Risky almost killed her mother.
Oh yeah, Risky is totally pure evil. Luckily most everything in Shantae's world is treated like it's low stakes (i.e even though Scuttle Town seems to be blown up every weekend it's totally fine the next day) and Shantae has plot armor thick enough that Risky will never truly succeed so it's not like she's ever actually gonna commit genocide either.
Too bad Pirate Curse's ending confirmed Risky is never going to actually become a good guy, I really wonder if she's just too deeply corrupted by dark magic (since she's P U R P L E) and if there's a "good" Risky in her somewhere.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
That's the one thing I don't get about Shantae. After everything she and Risky did together in Shantae 3, for all she believed by the end of Shantae 4, Risky caused Shantae's mother to die (until the very end where we learned it wasn't truly the case). But this meant Risky WAS willing to commit genocide. There is like ZERO good in her at this point. If in Shantae 5, Shantae still think's there's goon in her, she needs to think back on when Risky almost killed her mother.
Err, Risky’s wasn’t willing to genocide of the genies, she was planning on converting their magic into dark magic and take control of it, they’d still be alive but turned evil. The messenger told Shantae to destroy the genie realm if there was no other option. Not to mention Risky was furious at Shantae for destroying the realm and her plans

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yes and people are rightfully upset that sakurai would apply his magic towards a character solely based on the incredibly shallow reason that the character's home game made bank.
It's more of a combination of general popularity, trying to please people, and making money.

Any popular character/world achieves the other two things.

edit: also fidget spinners? That's not comparable. Of course money isn't the sole reason, but it's a big part of it. If it was the sole reason, we'd have Shrek by now.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
Minecraft steve would upset alot of gamers because he basically the VG equivilant of Kim Kardashian at this point. Famous for being famous and only given the time of day because of his fame.

Calling Steve a gaming icon would be like calling Kim Kardashian a cultural icon. Technically its true because of the massive fame. But come on, really?
Are you seriously comparing Steve to that talentless THOT? Hate Steve all you want but his game is one of the best of the last gaming generation and deserved every bit of praise it got especially since it has unlimited replay value and still has an active community to this day. Shantae at best is just a cult classic and doesn't even have half the fame of an indie title that got the AT treatment.

Last edited:

Swade

Smash Apprentice
Err, Risky’s wasn’t willing to genocide of the genies, she was planning on converting their magic into dark magic and take control of it, they’d still be alive but turned evil. The messenger told Shantae to destroy the genie realm if there was no other option. Not to mention Risky was furious at Shantae for destroying the realm and her plans
I can back him up on this, Risky never had any intentions of genocide. She wanted to control that realm rather than destroy it.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Are you seriously comparing Steve to that talentless THOT? Hate Steve all you want but his game is one of the best of the last gaming generation and deserved every bit of praise it got especially since it has unlimited replay value and still has an active community to this day. Shantae at best is just a cult classic and doesn't even have half the fame of an indie title that got the AT treatment.
Okay so why is fame all that matters when it comes to Smash? That's the basic jist of your post except for Conveniently conveniently ignoring Kim Kardashians popularity when it's part of my point that Maybe theres more to a quality character than popularity?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Risky wasn't planning on killing Shantae's mom or any other genie, just trying to get them on her side. Look how unhappy she is when Shantae seemingly destroys them, not a single taunt in the realm of "Ha ha! You killed your parents!". Instead she's honestly shocked Shantae would do such a thing. This is in stark contrast to the Pirate Master who revels in what he did. Shantae then destroys him without a second thought. She isn't THAT naive.

Honestly, hating on a character or series for being popular and a moneymaker is no different from picking on those who are not so successful. Detractors will find any reason.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Risky wasn't planning on killing Shantae's mom or any other genie, just trying to get them on her side. Look how unhappy she is when Shantae seemingly destroys them, not a single taunt in the realm of "Ha ha! You killed your parents!". Instead she's honestly shocked Shantae would do such a thing. This is in stark contrast to the Pirate Master who revels in what he did. Shantae then destroys him without a second thought. She isn't THAT naive.

Honestly, hating on a character or series for being popular and a moneymaker is no different from picking on those who are not so successful. Detractors will find any reason.
Honestly, saying that the only reason a character SHOULD be included in Smash because they are popular and a moneymaker is just as bad as saying that a character should NOT be in smash solely because they are NOT popular and a Moneymaker.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Okay so why is fame all that matters when it comes to Smash? That's the basic jist of your post except for Conveniently conveniently ignoring Kim Kardashians popularity when it's part of my point that Maybe theres more to a quality character than popularity?
Fame isn't all that matters, neither is money, but both are a big part of it.

Of course they're not the sole reason-otherwise Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, etc. would be long-gone (sadly I think this is true, but I really like Ice Climbers as you can tell)-but they do seem to bring in big characters as well. They want to attract more of an audience.

Just bashing any character and saying they don't deserve to be in just feels wrong imo, so I'm simply providing reasons as to why Nintendo and Sora Ltd. may want Minecraft content in the game (and including Minecraft but with no playable rep would be the same thing honestly). Likewise, I can see Shantae having a good chance at making it in, due to her character, a good fanbase, etc. (and WayForward ignoring everyone for supposedly no reason seems to help her)

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Fame isn't all that matters, neither is money, but both are a big part of it.

Of course they're not the sole reason-otherwise Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, etc. would be long-gone-but they do seem to bring in big characters as well. They want to attract more of an audience.

Just bashing any character and saying they don't deserve to be in just feels wrong imo, so I'm simply providing reasons as to why Nintendo and Sora Ltd. may want Minecraft content in the game (and including Minecraft but with no playable rep would be the same thing honestly). Likewise, I can see Shantae having a good chance at making it in, due to her character, a good fanbase, etc. (and WayForward ignoring everyone for supposedly no reason seems to help her)
Also, if you're going to bash other characters, you kind of forfeit the right to be angry when others do the same to yours. Otherwise it's a tad hypocritical.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
"Steve is a character"

No, 'Steve' is just the default skin. There's no "character" about him. End of the Minecraft discussion.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Well, Risky is clearly corrupted by Dark Magic Heck, look at how great she looks for someone that knew Shantae's mother.

NukeA6

Smash Master
The truth is that Minecraft is a pretty good game that rewards creativity while Kim Kardashin is useless and is famous because of a sex tape. While you may see Steve as a generic miner, that doesn't change the fact that he's also a blacksmith, monster hunter, and able to pull off weapons/items out of thin air. Might as well say Captain Falcon, Mr. Game & Watch, and Isabelle don't belong in Smash Bros.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to point out that people tend forget that a popular video game character and a Popular SMASH CHARACTER are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS. Just because a character is popular OUTSIDE of smash does not necessarily mean they will be a popular character IN smash and vice-versa.

Examples of the former is Capatain Falcon and Ice Climbers. Captain Falcon's games sold like crap both before and after his appearances in smash. Yet he is one of the most used and loved characters in Super Smash Bros. Most Falcon players i've known haven't even heard of F-Zero let alone actually played it. Also, no one before Melee heard of the game Ice Climbers and From what I heard, them and Mr. Game and Watch received almost as big a panning as corrin did because they weren't Wario or Diddy. But when they were Cut from 4 there was a huge outcry despite no one asking for them in melee in the first place.

Example of the Latter is Pac-Man who is the number 2 most famous video game character in the history of video game characters. Even my 82 year old grandma with Dimensia and who never played a Video game in her entire life knows who Pacman is. So of course fans were saying "He's a total icon so of course he should be in smash" but after he was included in smash he was generally treated as a red-headed step child. His trailer was met with a mellow "Oh, cool..." reception and now i almost never see a pacman player online and he is seldomly ever spoken of. People, like to bash Fire Emblem as being Niche but I can tell you now that I see alot more Fire Emblem characters online than I do Pacman.

Also, I get irritated when people say. Nintendo doesn't do what the fans want or what is popular in gaming. When Nintendo is popular BECAUSE they DON"T do what fans want or what's popular. How many mobs of people in 1985 were demanding a game where you play as a middle-aged italian plumber and you rescue a princess of toadstools from a giant turtle using a flower that let's you shoot fire? If Nintendo did what was popular, Mario would be a bald space marine that swore every 2 seconds and violently mowed down aliens with a machine gun. Splatoon is a modern example. If they asked fans what they wanted, we would have just got another, Golden-Eye/COD/Halo esq. First Person shooter.

Studio C did a reasonably good job of explaining how crazy the Idea of Mario actually is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHC0nZSoOd4

What is great about Nintendo is that instead of giving you what you want, they give you what you didn't know you wanted.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
You know what would be great? If we talked more about, oh, I don't know...SHANTAE? Instead of hating characters that may or may not be in, why don't we talk about our girl who has excellent chances of being in the game as either a fighter or assist trophy?

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
The other half of this page was dissing Captain Falcon and Ice Climbers for stupid reasons.
I'd like to point out that people tend forget that a popular video game character and a Popular SMASH CHARACTER are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS. Just because a character is popular OUTSIDE of smash does not necessarily mean they will be a popular character IN smash and vice-versa.

Examples of the former is Capatain Falcon and Ice Climbers. Captain Falcon's games sold like crap both before and after his appearances in smash. Yet he is one of the most used and loved characters in Super Smash Bros. Most Falcon players i've known haven't even heard of F-Zero let alone actually played it. Also, no one before Melee heard of the game Ice Climbers and From what I heard, them and Mr. Game and Watch received almost as big a panning as corrin did because they weren't Wario or Diddy. But when they were Cut from 4 there was a huge outcry despite no one asking for them in melee in the first place.

Example of the Latter is Pac-Man who is the number 2 most famous video game character in the history of video game characters. Even my 82 year old grandma with Dimensia and who never played a Video game in her entire life knows who Pacman is. So of course fans were saying "He's a total icon so of course he should be in smash" but after he was included in smash he was generally treated as a red-headed step child. His trailer was met with a mellow "Oh, cool..." reception and now i almost never see a pacman player online and he is seldomly ever spoken of. People, like to bash Fire Emblem as being Niche but I can tell you now that I see alot more Fire Emblem characters online than I do Pacman.

Also, I get irritated when people say. Nintendo doesn't do what the fans want or what is popular in gaming. When Nintendo is popular BECAUSE they DON"T do what fans want or what's popular. How many mobs of people in 1985 were demanding a game where you play as a middle-aged italian plumber and you rescue a princess of toadstools from a giant turtle using a flower that let's you shoot fire? If Nintendo did what was popular, Mario would be a bald space marine that swore every 2 seconds and violently mowed down aliens with a machine gun. Splatoon is a modern example. If they asked fans what they wanted, we would have just got another, Golden-Eye/COD/Halo esq. First Person shooter.

Studio C did a reasonably good job of explaining how crazy the Idea of Mario actually is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHC0nZSoOd4

What is great about Nintendo is that instead of giving you what you want, they give you what you didn't know you wanted.
I totally agree with this.

Last edited:

Tybalt: Herbal One

Smash Cadet
I'mma put my thoughts about MC's steve here.

Personally not a great fan. MC isn't really my kind of game (or any game like that, even if I like the series like Dragon Quest Builders) but I can respect that it was a very popular that still has a large audience to this day. But the actual avatar doesn't do anything to either like or hate him. But maybe that's why I don't want him in smash. To me he's just bland. He doesn't even make me angry as a thing that exists. That thought might be shallow when considering that Mr Game and Watch and R.O.B are also things that exist. But I prefer their design. R.O.B is a robot (who doesn't like Robits?) and I do like G&W simplestic but smooth design.

I don't really like Steve's blocky design but smooth animations (ala telltales). It really really creeps me out. I don't have an issue with his animation in the actual game where it is more akin to Lego. So my biggest issue if he ever gets into smash is that I'm likely to be disgusted by the Telltale style of animation for him (or any minecraft animation video on youtube).

The most exposure I had to MC was via peanut butter gamer's hard core series. So I have no idea as to what his moveset potential is.

So yeah. My only issues with him is that I find him visually bland in MC but disgusting in anything trying to give him smooth animation.

At the very least I think we can find him at least more appealing than Bowletta.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I can tell you one thing that Nintendo does indeed set trends. Have you seen the results of "Peachette"?

Now take that concept and give it to Bowser.

EDIT: Like seriously Nintendo what have you unleashed?

1537650310639.png

Last edited:

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
Truly, the lack of new info has driven us mad O_o

I can tell you one thing that Nintendo does indeed set trends. Have you seen the results of "Peachette"?

Now take that concept and give it to Bowser.
GDI I've been trying to escape fanart of that all day and the one place I thought I'd find solace, someone brings it up!

AAAAAAAAAAAH! *jumps out a nearby window*

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So at this point the two missing blog posts belong to either Shantae or Quote, and Shantae has ALOT more evidence. I like these odds.
It wouldn’t be quote because he’s in his own fighting game. And judging by shantaes lack of fighting games due To an nda/ncc and all the evidence we have......I say she’s in!

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Someone make a pic of Shantae facing Bowsette.

Truly, the lack of new info has driven us mad O_o

GDI I've been trying to escape fanart of that all day and the one place I thought I'd find solace, someone brings it up!

AAAAAAAAAAAH! *jumps out a nearby window*
Yeah but seriously though think of the implication that a Super Crown now has. This could be an original way for Bowser to take over the Mushroom Kingdom.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Because these two blog posts would’ve happened around that nindies direct, which means an indie was most likely supposed to be shown during that direct but wasn’t for some reason.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Ice Climbers

:crying:
And I've just started playing their game recently thanks to the Switch online service. The level design in there is surprisingly intricate. If the jumping was just a little less stiff it'd be perfect for an early NES game.

The problem with us being all Shantae fans is that.. we all already know everything there is to know about the series, so no one is really interested in talking more about it. Eh whatever, I'll try something anyway.

Oubliette of Suffering is clearly an homage to Lower Norfair. It's lava-filled ruins, you find the speed-boosting upgrade there and the boss is a dragon(well technically wyvern)-like creature that attacks primarily with fire breath and a weaponized tail. :p

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Two things:
1. I wouldn't mind Steve.
Though honestly, I don't see how he could work. Especially considering he's not even a character.
I agree that Assist Trophies or Stage would be a far better way to represent Minecraft.

2. Risky didn't intend to kill Shantae's mother.
Her plan was to rule the world, as usual, by taking control of the genie realm and its vast power.
She never intended to kill anyone.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Two things:
1. I wouldn't mind Steve.
Though honestly, I don't see how he could work. Especially considering he's not even a character.
I agree that Assist Trophies or Stage would be a far better way to represent Minecraft.

2. Risky didn't intend to kill Shantae's mother.
Her plan was to rule the world, as usual, by taking control of the genie realm and its vast power.
She never intended to kill anyone.
Then again she did say she should have "get rid of her friends when she had the chance" when Shantae appeared before her in the Volcano during the Pirate Queen quest story line so......

D

Deleted member

What songs/remixes should shantae have in smash? Give me a list please.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

Tybalt: Herbal One

Smash Cadet
You know what would be great? If we talked more about, oh, I don't know...SHANTAE? Instead of hating characters that may or may not be in, why don't we talk about our girl who has excellent chances of being in the game as either a fighter or assist trophy?
My first exposure to Shantae was during the Smash 4 ballot. My sister had Risky's Revenge and was fairly surprised that a DSIware character had even a bit of traction in the ballot. I think I used my vote on her though I may not have voted at all (it was years ago). Afterwards I pretty much forgot about her until about a year and a bit later where I saw pirates curse on sale for about a 5 quid. Figured "why not." Really enjoyed it and decided to get HGH not too long after. Been a fan since.

Top Bottom