• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member

I love speculation as much as the next person, but #120 is Mother/Earthbound Memories. The original poster of the blog post numbers mistakenly included #120 twice and admitted that. So #121 is the only one missing at around a day before the Nindies Direct.
It’s still her trust me!

She was original planed but was pushed backed and replaced.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
My votes went to Bomberman, Knuckles, Krystal, and Zero in that order...then all 4 of them got revealed back to back as Assist Trophy's, in that order. God Dammit Nintendo...
I voted for Bomberman, and then would have voted for Krystal and Vaati if I had thought to vote multiple times.

Shark X

Smash Lord
Have they removed the singing from Ashley's song? if not then i would think the singing in Dance through the Danger would probably be left alone.

I don't know the song "Snake Eater" could there have been some lyrics in it that were problematic which might explain them being removed?
Considering the entirety of the song was in Brawl, I doubt it.

Would REALLY rather not have her be fighter #69 though..
Pretty sure Skull Kid would be 69. Anyone who gets 69 will permanently be a joke because of the number, and Skull Kid with that mask would be difficult to come up with 69 jokes for.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Pretty sure Skull Kid would be 69. Anyone who gets 69 will permanently be a joke because of the number, and Skull Kid with that mask would be difficult to come up with 69 jokes for.
Or Incineroar will be #69, since the jokes are already there.

D

Deleted member

Considering the entirety of the song was in Brawl, I doubt it.

Actually skull kid is unlikely now due to loz18 for being a troll

Shark X

Smash Lord
Wasn't it Loz who said he was just a boss? And even still, one fake leaker doesn't deconfirm anyone. I predicted everyone Vergeben did that got confirmed so far, and more, and I'm not a leaker. One fake leaker doesn't mean Skull Kid is out, or less likely. Not saying he's in either, just saying Skull Kid is the only one I can think makes sense to be 69 to avoid any jokes.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Fun Trivia: "Oubliette" is also the name of the final area, in "Metroid Prime: Hunters".

Except the Pirate Queen story line is not canon.
Plus, it wouldn't be the first time for Risky to say something like this.
But she generally never follows through with it and so it's generally just her talking tough, but nothing else...

The only time she actually tries to kill someone, is when she is consumed by fury,
Perfect example being: The Final Boss Battle against her, in the very first game.

The entire game she was out to create her ultimate machine, to rule the world.
But she was never out to kill anyone, just to rule the seas with an iron fist.
Heck, when she surprised Shantae after the final Stone-Dungeon and stole all the stones from her, she didn't kill Shantae but just tied her up.

But all that changes, once you've destroyed her Tinkertank and thus thwart her plans.
Which causes her to snap and only then is she out for blood!
That does continue to an extent in Risky's Revenge, where her plot is engineering Shantae's demise or at the very least, downfall by using the magic lamp to wish for it. Only after the events of Pirate's Curse does she relent in this endeavour.

Yeah, a glaring "all-talk, no action" example would be the Tan Line Temple fiasco. Not only does she not pound the residents like she said she would, but she claims she'd spill the leader's guts if only she had her scimitar... ignoring the fact she could have used her pistol (once it was given back that is) to blow his brains out instead.

And at the end of Half-Genie Hero, she once again gloats about Shantae's supposed imminent demise in the eruption... without doing anything to ensure it. Sure she received a solid beating beforehand, but that didn't stop Meta Knight of all people in his antagonistic role and she had far more time to recover.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
The memories thing made me look, and surprise! While the original Shantae came out in June, both Pirate's Curse and Risky's Revenge had an October release. It'd be a good time to announce her if Sakurai is so concerned with talking about characters on days important to their franchise in question.
Would REALLY rather not have her be fighter #69 though..
I wanna see someone really unappealing or random get 69; someone like Cranky Kong or Heihachi, or something...

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Actually skull kid is unlikely now due to loz18 for being a troll
People were speculating Skullkid before Loz18, he just clung onto it after to make himself seem credible.

His Assit Trophy is still missing and a new assist trophy was added that (were he not playing a bigger role) would have made more sense to be him. He could be a boss, he could be a fighter, but Loz18 being a fraud doesn't effect that either way.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
One more thing about Steve, did you guys know that Telltale Games is actually filing for bankruptcy or at least they've fired over 90% of their staff?
Yes, and it makes me sad. I was hoping so much for a sequel to their Back to the Future game. I hope these fellas pick themselves back up at some time.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
For crying out loud I still barely know anything about why 69 is "filthy", without doing actual research that is. I very much doubt jokes will be widespread except in places that normally deal in such things anyway, and last for only a few days at most.
Yeah, this is true. Personally, I don't see why some people think the story of HGH conflicts with Pirate's Curse. Heck, Shantae even calls Risky out for being back to her old tricks. Risky may have gained some respect for Shantae during their travels, but she made it clear that she had no intention on going "goody goody".
One of the NPCs in Half-Genie Hero pokes fun at the game being written in a way that doesn't require knowledge of the past games to enjoy by mentioning playing a game that she isn't sure is a reboot or some other term. Plus the fact that Rottytops is in Scuttle Town hanging out with Shantae while her brothers travel, as they said they would at the end of Pirate's Curse.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
One more thing about Steve, did you guys know that Telltale Games is actually filing for bankruptcy or at least they've fired over 90% of their staff?
Not too much of a loss there, given that their games have become interactive movies these days and there apparently was mismanagement over there. Those who lost their jobs should hopefully manage to find employment elsewhere.

zferolie

Smash Hero

Another fake leak I can’t stop laughing at lol
I was about to post that. Its fake as all hell thanks to Skullkid, but it has medusa, and Black shadow... AND REIMU!

I know reimu has like, 0 percent chance, but she honestly would be so amazing. Touhou is HUGELY popular in japan, and honestly, if Shantae had a contender, it would be Reimu. She is the face of Doujin games in japan. which are basically japanese Indie games. Touhou is so massive in japan it gets its own Convention.

Reimu would be such a fun smash character, and kinda always wanted a touhou smash game since there was that 1 failed kickstarter for a touhou smash game.

I would love a smash game with Reimu(with shantae too of course) but since that leak has skullkid it most be fake. Shame because all the other characters are solid choices.

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice

It seems like this guy just takes random crappy 4chan text leaks and passes them off as HUGE CRAZY CREDIBLE LEAKS WITH PROOF. Plus, half of his videos have virtually the same thumbnail.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I will tell you guys never search for "Bowsette" on google and look at the images tab. What I have seen can not be unseen. *shivers

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I was about to post that. Its fake as all hell thanks to Skullkid, but it has medusa, and Black shadow... AND REIMU!

I know reimu has like, 0 percent chance, but she honestly would be so amazing. Touhou is HUGELY popular in japan, and honestly, if Shantae had a contender, it would be Reimu. She is the face of Doujin games in japan. which are basically japanese Indie games. Touhou is so massive in japan it gets its own Convention.

Reimu would be such a fun smash character, and kinda always wanted a touhou smash game since there was that 1 failed kickstarter for a touhou smash game.

I would love a smash game with Reimu(with shantae too of course) but since that leak has skullkid it most be fake. Shame because all the other characters are solid choices.
Loz18 being fake doesn't mean Skullkid isn't a fighter. All we know is that he was an assist trophy, seems to have been replaced by an assist trophy that honestly is something that could have easily included him.

The fact that they made the moon an assist instead of keeping Skullkid as an assist and just having him summon the moon instead means Skullkid is very likely to be in the game to some larger capacity. It could be a boss, it could be a fighter, but people were speculating about this before Loz so him being a fraud doesn't mean anything.

That said I'm sure this is fake.

I will tell you guys never search for "Bowsette" on google and look at the images tab. What I have seen can not be unseen. *shivers
Shouldn't it be Peachowser? I mean, Todette turns into Peachette, so if Bowser used the same item it wouldn;t make any sense to include "ette" in the name since Toadette isn't involved

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I’m just gonna say i think Skull Kid will be a boss. It makes a lot of sense when you assume that there are obviously quite a few boss characters we have yet to see.

Shark X

Smash Lord

If Kirby get's a boss, it'll obviously be straight up Dark Matter. I know Zero-Two is one of it's forms, but still.

As for his characters, two Japanese exclusive obscure characters, okay. good attempt right there. But with Fire emblem, they were still MAKING games. Famicom Detective Club, not so much. Never heard of Touhou Project so I have no idea if it's still going. Only know of the other thing because she was a Melee Trophy.

Leaked 4 characters correctly so he's extremely credible? Well guess what. I predicted 7 characters correctly. I must be a secret master leaker. Guys. Apparently I'm a Master Leaker, so I say Shantae is in! ...And no Steve at all >.>

Okay this is the second time I seen a video where this happened. WHAT is the DEAL with the Smash Ball just sitting on the ground now?

DK held that Forward Smash Attack for a LONG time. Never heard anything about that. I know in past games, holding it til it goes off on it's own did max damage. What is the deal with it now?

Most important thing, he had no mention of Shantae so 10005% fake >.>

Shark X

Smash Lord
The fact that they made the moon an assist instead of keeping Skullkid as an assist and just having him summon the moon instead means Skullkid is very likely to be in the game to some larger capacity.
While I agree and argued the same thing about the loz issue, him NOT having the Moon as a Final Smash is the only thing I'd say makes him less likely.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Loz18 being fake doesn't mean Skullkid isn't a fighter. All we know is that he was an assist trophy, seems to have been replaced by an assist trophy that honestly is something that could have easily included him.

The fact that they made the moon an assist instead of keeping Skullkid as an assist and just having him summon the moon instead means Skullkid is very likely to be in the game to some larger capacity. It could be a boss, it could be a fighter, but people were speculating about this before Loz so him being a fraud doesn't mean anything.

That said I'm sure this is fake.

Shouldn't it be Peachowser? I mean, Todette turns into Peachette, so if Bowser used the same item it wouldn;t make any sense to include "ette" in the name since Toadette isn't involved
Yeah I know, but I've been feeling Skullkid as a boss for awhile, and can see him working better as a boss, but thats just me.

Bowsette is the fan name, and while it may not make sense i love how people been making art of him... her.

If Kirby get's a boss, it'll obviously be straight up Dark Matter. I know Zero-Two is one of it's forms, but still.

As for his characters, two Japanese exclusive obscure characters, okay. good attempt right there. But with Fire emblem, they were still MAKING games. Famicom Detective Club, not so much. Never heard of Touhou Project so I have no idea if it's still going. Only know of the other thing because she was a Melee Trophy.

Leaked 4 characters correctly so he's extremely credible? Well guess what. I predicted 7 characters correctly. I must be a secret master leaker. Guys. Apparently I'm a Master Leaker, so I say Shantae is in! ...And no Steve at all >.>

Okay this is the second time I seen a video where this happened. WHAT is the DEAL with the Smash Ball just sitting on the ground now?

DK held that Forward Smash Attack for a LONG time. Never heard anything about that. I know in past games, holding it til it goes off on it's own did max damage. What is the deal with it now?

Most important thing, he had no mention of Shantae so 10005% fake >.>
TOuhou project is the biggest Doujin(indie) franchise in all of japan. there are whole conventions just for touhou. And it is Indie as touhou itself is all owned by 1 guy, ZUN. he just allows fans to make fan games of his franchise. Touhou also has several offical Manga's, and only recently has the fan games been allowed to go on non-PC systems. The switch has quite a few touhou games actually, and in america too.

So touhou is a part of gameing culture and legacy in japan. I can safely say every japanese porgrammer and designer knows of touhou. It is that massive. If somehow Sakurai feels like it needs to be represented in smash, I am sure he and ZUN would work something out.

Yeah no shantae makes me sad.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
While I agree and argued the same thing about the loz issue, him NOT having the Moon as a Final Smash is the only thing I'd say makes him less likely.
As a boss i could still see him using the moon assist as an attack (since Rathalos is both an assist and boss) But were he a fighter, although the moon would make sense, it still wasn't the height of the Mask's power. I feel a Skullkid final smash would be the mask coming off, turning into Majora's Wrath and just tearing into anyone close enough with it's razor whip arms.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Hell, Touhou is so popular that a Chinese Botanist (team?) named a flower after Reimu.

Shadowknight1

One of the NPCs in Half-Genie Hero pokes fun at the game being written in a way that doesn't require knowledge of the past games to enjoy by mentioning playing a game that she isn't sure is a reboot or some other term. Plus the fact that Rottytops is in Scuttle Town hanging out with Shantae while her brothers travel, as they said they would at the end of Pirate's Curse.
Well, I didn't see anything that directly contradicted things from PC, so I don't see the problem. :p I love all four of the Shantae games though, and can't wait for number 5.
Not too much of a loss there, given that their games have become interactive movies these days and there apparently was mismanagement over there. Those who lost their jobs should hopefully manage to find employment elsewhere.
Honestly, I am sad about it. I may not have played most of them, but I've seen a few playthroughs of their games outside of BttF and JP and enjoyed what I saw. Good storytelling CAN overcome not so good gameplay and I think TellTale had some good stories. And as I said before, I was so hoping for a second Back to the Future game.

Shadowknight1

No sequel to Batman...
While I've liked what I've seen of that particular series, no real loss there in my eyes. The Batman has so many good games to his name. Back to the Future has TWO: the TellTale game and a Super Famicom exclusive one.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Just to let you guys know that #bowsette is trending on twitter. The Japanese have already started noticing it. It won't be long before it becomes mainstream over there. Nintendo has created a new trend.

Anyway I wonder when the next Direct will happen?

D

Deleted member

This music fits when waiting for shantae to get in smash when there is no news about her in smash right now.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Touhou is ****ing HIUGE. In japan it is easily as big a gaming icon as Sonic and stuff
Yeah, but... ONLY in Japan. Everywhere else it's cult status at best.

I know it's a common assumption that Sakurai pays more attention to the japanese fanbase than western ones on average, but remember how we almost didn't get Marth & Roy in western releases of Melee until a playtester from there spoke up about it.

Point is, it'll take more than just being really big in Japan to get in Smash. Monster Hunter was in a similar boat until recently with the slowly increasing western fanbase cultivated by the fourth generation games, that then exploded with the release of World.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, but... ONLY in Japan. Everywhere else it's cult status at best.

I know it's a common assumption that Sakurai pays more attention to the japanese fanbase than western ones on average, but remember how we almost didn't get Marth & Roy in western releases of Melee until a playtester from there spoke up about it.

Point is, it'll take more than just being really big in Japan to get in Smash. Monster Hunter was in a similar boat until recently the slowly increasing western fanbase cultivated by the fourth generation games, that then exploded with the release of World.
No kidding. Goemon's chances were already low even when he was big, since only 4 of his games made the jump.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Last edited:
Top Bottom