• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
HMMMMMM'ST'VE'D

Do we have any evidence as to Nintendo stopping by at Wayforward's office?
Not officially. We do have a picture of (I believe) James Montagna with Masahiro Sakurai--but this picture could have been taken anywhere. It shows the location as in California, but that could just be where the picture was uploaded from. However it is known that it WASN'T taken as part of Pacman's reveal in Sm4sh, where some say James Montagna was there with Sakurai as well (but they were wearing different colored shirts than in the picture that was posted on Twitter).

Edit: here it is.

It was posted on October 2, 2015 along with this message:

"Regardless who you vote in the #SmashBallot, it's gonna be great! THANKS Mr. Sakurai & the staff for an amazing game!"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Tinfoil hat theory incoming!

Since Zelda’s creator worked with smash he may have saw shantae as a fighter and he wanted to learn more about her because she makes references to Zelda so what if he went to James because he saw him at this thing and got a copy from him so he would learn more about him.....

Oof now there’s a tinfoil hat on me:dizzy::p
Fixed it Incase anyone missed it:)

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
I did mention this a few months ago (not here I don't think, but somewhere) that I'm pretty sure after the Kickstarter ended, Wikipedia mentioned they has a mysterious unnamed backer to help them reach other stretch goals. It might have been something I read wrong, and I didn't think it'd be Nintendo, otherwise Shantae 4 would have ended up Nintendo exclusive.
NOT NECESSARILY!!!! Answer me this, would Wayforward get in trouble by Kickstarter if they all of a sudden canned 4 different platforms the game was supposed to be on? That would upset a ton of people causing them to loose a truck load of cash. If Nintendo is this secret backer, then they must have invested to get the game on the Switch. To be in good standing with Kickstarter and their fans, they would have to follow through on the various platforms the game would appear on, but maybe something in the future would be exclusive to Nintendo. The reason why I believe this may be the case is becasue of Bayonetta. It was a big title on the WII U partially funded and supported by Nintendo but now it is available on the PC. Nintendo must have known at some point that Bayonetta would make its way onto other platforms but went ahead and jumped on it because of its potential profits for the WII U.

Wait, what the- Stupid Tinfoil!

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
NOT NECESSARILY!!!! Answer me this, would Wayforward get in trouble by Kickstarter if they all of a sudden canned 4 different platforms the game was supposed to be on? That would upset a ton of people causing them to loose a truck load of cash. If Nintendo is this secret backer, then they must have invested to get the game on the Switch. To be in good standing with Kickstarter and their fans, they would have to follow through on the various platforms the game would appear on, but maybe something in the future would be exclusive to Nintendo. The reason why I believe this may be the case is becasue of Bayonetta. It was a big title on the WII U partially funded and supported by Nintendo but now it is available on the PC. Nintendo must have known at some point that Bayonetta would make its way onto other platforms but went ahead and jumped on it because of its potential profits for the WII U.

...This is getting a bit too tin-foily, even for me! I thought the rest of the backing was through their PayPal and maybe even XSeed Games, the publishers, ala Indivisible?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

If Nintendo was a secret investor in the game, I'm a little upset with them for not investing enough to reach the fully voice acted goal.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
While I do believe that 99% of leaks are fake and dumb, I do wonder, if a leak was real, how on earth do people find out about them. Like seriously, is some nintendo employee really going to risk their livelyhood or legal action just to share info on the things they work on. Look at any other game studio, we don't have people leaking information on Cyberpunk 2077 or Naughty Dog's games. The only "leaks" I know are true are crap in Valve's code for games like Dota 2 and SDK updates. My point is, leaks are dumb and Vergaban is just lucky.
I'm not part of the industry but I have a theory. First, we do get leaks on other games, people just don't pay that much attention to them, because they're not as big or as "in the public's eye" as Nintendo. Secondly, everyone who leaks anything is merely repeating what they've heard. Basically, one person lets something slip, and that travels down the grapevine to the people on the very fridge of the gaming industry, so journalists and PR, and they then choose to either pass it on or keep it to themselves. If they do pass it on then it's these people who are the sources that people like Vergeben and Emily Rodgers for example get their "information" from.

That said, companies probably actively counteract this by intentionally leaking fake information to backtrack it and catch those who are breaking NDAs. Companies potentially also "leak" information to build hype. Granted it's worth noting that not "all leaks" come about this way. I'd argue that maybe 1% of the leaks on the internet are the real deal with the rest being people making fake leaks for fun or attention. Likewise of that 1% only maybe 30% of it is probably accurate. Also also, it's entirely possible that people like Vergeben are literally just guessing.

D

Deleted member

Tinfoil hat theory incoming!

Since Zelda’s creator worked with smash he may have saw shantae as a fighter and he wanted to learn more about her because she makes references to Zelda so what if he went to James because he saw him at this thing and got a copy from him so he would learn more about him.....

Oof now there’s a tinfoil hat on me:dizzy::p

Here it’s a little tinfoilly

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
We're bordering Illuminati conspiracy theory meme territory here.
Shantae is female
Sakurai's wife is female
Shantae confirmed

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
A little less tinfoil but if we're going off the chairs, if the yellow chair represents Isabelle, the purple chair must be referring to......

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
I dont believe the chair theory but if it were hinting at a character the Four most plausible candidates are...

Shantae
Skull Kid
Karate Joe
Rayman

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
For crying out loud I still barely know anything about why 69 is "filthy", without doing actual research that is. I very much doubt jokes will be widespread except in places that normally deal in such things anyway, and last for only a few days at most.
No kidding. I still don't get why the number matters...

To quote something very fitting:
Drax the Destroyer said:
You Earthers have HangUps!

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
The game isn't complete, right? The demos that released aren't really the final product, right? I sort of feel validated by that fact that there's a meta-Ridley costume that wasn't shown in the demos that he appeared to blatantly have in advertisements. With that said, things can still change? I know it was discussed, but Zelda's victory pose is similar to Shantae's pose from the first game. Do you think they liked it and gave it to Zelda or do you think it was a subtle hint? Like they'll swap that one for a different one for Zelda and give that one to Shantae. Just some speculation I may have missed.

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
WF made another one of those "nothing to announce ATM" replies
This only validates the NDA. There is no reason not say, “We have started working on another project. Stay tuned ;)
This reply is so out of character for them.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Essentially, yeah. Quite horrifying the little gremlin Baron is.
Heck, he got off easy with a million years of mandatory community service instead of just being stuck in some hellhole prison or just flat out executed.
Oh please, everyone knows community service is a million times worse than any jail or death.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
This only validates the NDA. There is no reason not say, “We have started working on another project. Stay tuned ;)
Another PR response. They are really giving hints in a very professionally subtle way that only their supporters would understand.

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
Another PR response. They are really giving hints in a very professionally subtle way that only their supporters would understand.
For real though, just look at the difference between responses like these and their final kickstarter update. It’s like they are a completely different company. They are hiding something. I know they are.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
For real though, just look at the difference between responses like these and their final kickstarter update. It’s like they are a completely different company. They are hiding something. I know they are.
I want to believe
1527977597581.png

D

Deleted member

I dont believe the chair theory but if it were hinting at a character the Four most plausible candidates are...

Shantae
Skull Kid
Karate Joe
Rayman
It’s shantaae because of the room is eastern like plus the chairs

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Which reminds me. How is that evidence video progressing Freelance Spy?
(How do you make those fancy profile links?)

D

Deleted member

The game isn't complete, right? The demos that released aren't really the final product, right? I sort of feel validated by that fact that there's a meta-Ridley costume that wasn't shown in the demos that he appeared to blatantly have in advertisements. With that said, things can still change? I know it was discussed, but Zelda's victory pose is similar to Shantae's pose from the first game. Do you think they liked it and gave it to Zelda or do you think it was a subtle hint? Like they'll swap that one for a different one for Zelda and give that one to Shantae. Just some speculation I may have missed.
Since sakurai gave that shantae pose to Zelda since her last posses weren't that much character that would mean........she is indeed a fighter! and she has other victory poses and gave that one to her since he wants the fighters to have lots of character in them (I will explain later)

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
I had a dream last night, and in that dream shantae was revealed as a character lol. She was like a chibi character (which I didn't like oofy). It was funny because I heard people say "wtf" and such

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
*epic movie trailer voice ensues* Prepare your butts for the greatest direct yet in October... featuring special guests, and tons of game modes... next smash direct will happen mid October guaranteed or your money back!

NukeA6

Smash Master
Just learned right now of Pirate's Curse's secret training room. I already knew of the secret dungeon but I assumed that was it with the secret areas.

Hopefully I won't miss anything in Half-Genie Hero.

D

Deleted member

*epic movie trailer voice ensues* Prepare your butts for the greatest direct yet in October... featuring special guests, and tons of game modes... next smash direct will happen mid October guaranteed or your money back!
Featuring shantae the first indie rep as a fighter!!!

JIrish780

Smash Rookie
I had a dream we got our confirmation that we've been waiting for. It was both very real-seeming and completely incoherent, like the majority of my dreams.

I'm just glad I wasn't dreaming about a past job or something...

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Which reminds me. How is that evidence video progressing Freelance Spy?
(How do you make those fancy profile links?)
Slow, I work a lot so I don't have a lot of free time.

Hopefully I get it out before she's revealed lol.

Since sakurai gave that shantae pose to Zelda since her last posses weren't that much character that would mean........she is indeed a fighter! and she has other victory poses and gave that one to her since he wants the fighters to have lots of character in them (I will explain later)
If you do, please @ me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom