• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
I mean, with how awful Nintendo seems to be handling their Switch online services, and with how awful their track record has been regarding leaks (even Brawl had leaks), I would not be surprised if they just genuinely do not care about preventing leaks or finding ways to work around issues like what people are noticing about their online services (sure they got back against the people who leaked Sm4sh, but this stuff needs to be stopped before it happens). It's really difficult for me to place my faith in Nintendo after it's been burned several times over on that issue.

It's already happened (E3 Vergeben Smash leaks 100% true), and it seems to be happening today.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I mean, with how awful Nintendo seems to be handling their Switch online services, and with how awful their track record has been regarding leaks (even Brawl had leaks), I would not be surprised if they just genuinely do not care about preventing leaks or finding ways to work around issues like what people are noticing about their online services (sure they got back against the people who leaked Sm4sh, but this stuff needs to be stopped before it happens). It's really difficult for me to place my faith in Nintendo after it's been burned several times over on that issue.

It's already happened (E3 Vergeben Smash leaks 100% true), and it seems to be happening today.
Trust me, good ol’ Sakurai had K. Rool covered up, and I’m sure he only trusts the most honorable with the best characters (which is probably why we’ve heard nothing of Dixie or Shantae in “””real””” leaks.)

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Trust me, good ol’ Sack of rie had K. Rool covered up, and I’m sure he only trusts the most honorable with the best characters (which is probably why we’ve heard nothing of Dixie or Shantae in “””real””” leaks.)
Time will tell. In the mean time, we're having to deal with the frustration. It's just so stupid, and I honestly hate how this stuff gets so bandwagoned.

Edit: K. Rool's name was tossed around so much that it's difficult for me to separate the two. And that's coming from a guy who loves K. Rool.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Yeah I would like both of those, and I'm worried on how bad Palutena is going to be since she was only good with her custom moves. But unfortunately, I don't see either of them happening. Maybe as DLC, but I don't see them as base roster. Also, I feel Uprising was made with the intention of adding new characters from Kid Icarus to Smash, like Magnus, Phosphora, Viridi, and Hades, and seriously, they gave Pandora a human form for seemingly no reason. Seem's like Sakurai was trying to make quite a few new characters for Smash potential. Yet, all we got was Palutena...and Dark Pit. Dark Pit of ALL people...
Yeah, I could see Medusa and Viridi being DLC because they would be a good bridge between echo and unique. They would be easier to make than a full unique character, but their different special would make them more worth buying as DLC than a complete echo.

Honestly I anticipate a lot of echos when DLC becomes a thing. We will still get unique DLC fighters, but with this version of Smash coming so early in the Switch life cycle I imagine they want to keep updating this game for a long time and constant new characters (echo being easier) would certainly do that.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Time will tell. In the mean time, we're having to deal with the frustration. It's just so stupid, and I honestly hate how this stuff gets so bandwagoned.
It was bound to happen eventually. But there are still a few reveals that could potentially happen and blow people’s minds: Kat&Ana would be the perfect wtf but this character is still ok, Shantae would be the first playable indie, and Dixie is kinda the last possible surviving Nintendo legacy character yet to be added, with Captain toad as a background element in a new stage, and regular toad remaining in Peach’s moveset. Crash Bandicoot or Banjo could be the perfect “totally saw this coming” rep, as people are basically against their likelyhood at this point.
Honestly I anticipate a lot of echos when DLC becomes a thing. We will still get unique DLC fighters, but with this version of Smash coming so early in the Switch life cycle I imagine they want to keep updating this game for a long time and constant new characters (echo being easier) would certainly do that.
If they do that, I better see Hilda as a Zelda echo. Also, I can’t be the only one thinking that if Crash was dlc, he’d be perfect packed with a Coco echo and his own stage.

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
It was bound to happen eventually. But there are still a few reveals that could potentially happen and blow people’s minds: Kat&Ana would be the perfect wtf but this character is still ok, Shantae would be the first playable indie, and Dixie is kinda the last possible surviving Nintendo legacy character yet to be added, with Captain toad as a background element in a new stage, and regular toad remaining in Peach’s moveset. Crash Bandicoot or Banjo could be the perfect “totally saw this coming” rep, as people are basically against their likelyhood at this point.
The only saving grace I can see at this point is this:

Since Sakurai apparently divided up the people working on different parts of the project (like characters or whatnot), we have to essentially pray that the people who are potentially working on Shantae are not leaking jack **** (like K. Rool and another often forgotten one, Richter). Even then, we have the issue of play-testing and balancing, which requires people to be exposed to every single character (and leaks can potentially come from there).

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
I do remember seeing Sakurai saying:

“I really wanted to avoid having the work of several years get smashed by someone who wanted his little moment to brag.”

So they're probably trying to keep stuff more under wraps with this game. And hey, if you leak, you're giving a big "screw you" to Sakurai and the whole Smash team! Ya jerks!

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Since there was discussion, I want to say that I ****ing hate male Corrin and the biggest disappointment for me with Ultimate is that Corrin is still male default. After the other three avatar characters (Robin, Villager, Pokemon Trainer) are also male default, one being from the same series. After every poll shows that female Corrin is way more popular. After Fire Emblem Warriors even made Corrin female default (and then kind of screwed it up anyway). After the Fire Emblem roster in Smash is already 100% male (excluding echoes). The only thing that could possibly cause me greater disappointment is Dixie Kong being an echo fighter.

Phew...Sorry, off-topic rant over now.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
If people are really separated into working on different portions of Smash Ultimate, wouldn't it be easier for Nintendo to sniff out exactly where the leaks are coming from? Who would have access to particular portions of info? They ought to all be round-up and grilled (AKA questioned, etc.).

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
We better hope that whoever worked on K. Rool also worked on Shantae, because that is probably the only group on the smash team other than Sakurai that are keeping information locked up.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
We better hope that whoever worked on K. Rool also worked on Shantae, because that is probably the only group on the smash team other than Sakurai that are keeping information locked up.
Either that, or pray for the miracle scenario where they are on their "Qanon" big-brain 250 IQ plays where they are purposefully divulging BS info after legit info to both hit the fans really hard with final reveals AND trap the "leakers" with the bait simultaneously. That's what I would do, anyways. We'd get to see a public gutting of "leakers" while being mind-blown by final reveals not being a part of the more recent leaked info. Pure ecstasy.

But honestly their history of less-than-stellar performance (I'd personally call it "incompetence") on leaks makes this whole situation where these leaks are probably genuine and not actively being baited or stopped by Nintendo.

Edit: When I say "genuine" in the second paragraph, I'm not calling all leaks "real". I'm talking about the situation by which the leaks come from. The situation that allows such information to leak out is most likely genuine. Hope that clears this up.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Either that, or pray for the miracle scenario where they are on their "Qanon" big-brain 250 IQ plays where they are purposefully divulging BS info after legit info to both hit the fans really hard with final reveals AND trap the "leakers" with the bait simultaneously.

But honestly their history of less-than-stellar performance (I'd personally call it "incompetence") on leaks makes this whole situation where these leaks are probably genuine and not actively being baited or stopped by Nintendo.
I can't help but agree with this. Every single Smash roster was leaked before release, and this "Stanley Leak" looks like it's gonna be the next ESRB leak. I feel like all we (edit: ) I can do is hope that all of the evidence and "teasers" are coincidences and she somehow manages to dodge the Assist Trophy bullet, making DLC a possibility.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I can't help but agree with this. Every single Smash roster was leaked before release, and this "Stanley Leak" looks like it's gonna be the next ESRB leak. I feel like all we can do is hope that all of the evidence and "teasers" are coincidences and she somehow manages to dodge the Assist Trophy bullet, making DLC a possibility.
Please. Stop. people have already called you out for your negativity and it honestly isn't doing anything productive.

There is nothing about this "leak" that gives it credibility over any other text leak out there. He says he has a video, but until it is shown, this is still a baseless text leaks, and if he later shows a video it may still be completely fake.

Now you are telling us to convince ourselves that all the situations surrounding Shantae is pure coincidence so she could later be DLC. You are asking us to give up hope on multiple occurrences, happening together which all make no sense for happening if she isn't in the game (I would argue still making little sense if she is only an assist) all in favor of baseless text leak # 472.

If you believe this, then fine, but others (i would imagine most of us here) don't and your actions are starting to look like someone who doesn't want Shantae in and is trying to tear down her fan base from the inside.

If that is not what you are, then I would ask you not to tell people to give up hope like you were. Or at least provide something stronger than everything we have pulled together if you want us to stop believing it.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
I mean the potential evidence we have for Shantae is eyebrow-raising, sure. But ****, these leaks are getting beyond tiring. Time feels like it's slowing down, even though I've got plenty of things to keep me busy.

This is my brain on leaks:

Makes sense why I've been going on an anti-leak tirade and admitting just how far I'd go to nyx them. Crazy things, pipe dreams.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Please. Stop. people have already called you out for your negativity and it honestly isn't doing anything productive.

There is nothing about this "leak" that gives it credibility over any other text leak out there. He says he has a video, but until it is shown, this is still a baseless text leaks, and if he later shows a video it may still be completely fake.

Now you are telling us to convince ourselves that all the situations surrounding Shantae is pure coincidence so she could later be DLC. You are asking us to give up hope on multiple occurrences, happening together which all make no sense for happening if she isn't in the game (I would argue still making little sense if she is only an assist) all in favor of baseless text leak # 472.

If you believe this, then fine, but others (i would imagine most of us here) don't and your actions are starting to look like someone who doesn't want Shantae in and is trying to tear down her fan base from the inside.

If that is not what you are, then I would ask you not to tell people to give up hope like you were. Or at least provide something stronger than everything we have pulled together if you want us to stop believing it.
I'm worried that he does have/can get an actual video. Only time can tell.

I was kind of trying to say I'd rather have all the evidence mean nothing than have it build up to an Assist Trophy.

As for the "we" part, I misworded and used "we" when I meant "I". I have no good excuse for that one.

I think I should take a break from the thread, just so I can try to stop getting on your nerves and making you think I'm a detractor. If I post anything tomorrow, just remind me of this, OK?

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I'm worried that he does have/can get an actual video. Only time can tell.

I was kind of trying to say I'd rather have all the evidence mean nothing than have it build up to an Assist Trophy.

As for the "we" part, I misworded and used "we" when I meant "I". I have no good excuse for that one.
Anyone can say they have a video. He has provided nothing to lend credence to his claim of having a video. If I had to predict, when the time he promised to release the video comes, either he will abandon the ruse entirely or try and save face by saying "I'm soryr guys, but i just found out that if i released this video, it would point to the team that leaked it to me and would then put their jobs in danger, so i won't be showing it after all" or something to that effect.

If you are going to let yourself get worried over everyone claiming something, you aren't going to have much time for anything else because once this "leak" blows over 10 more will take it's place. If there were some other evidence to suggest this guy is more than talk, then it would be another story. As it is now i would say fake until proven otherwise because he has given nothing to back up his claim.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
We can still hope for a Robin/Lucina situation.

Never had so much hype come from a disinformation. (Sorry Chrom)

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
Shantae has my 100% support she will fit perfectly with the rest of the Smash cast, here`s to hoping she makes it into Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I can't help but agree with this. Every single Smash roster was leaked before release, and this "Stanley Leak" looks like it's gonna be the next ESRB leak. I feel like all we (edit: ) I can do is hope that all of the evidence and "teasers" are coincidences and she somehow manages to dodge the Assist Trophy bullet, making DLC a possibility.

And that's exactly why we should stop talking about leaks entirely.
I called the inevitable negativity coming along with it.

Now can we just stop bringing up leaks and focus on official announcements and words from companies instead?

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Seriously, can't we just have an actual Shantae leak already ? xD

I think I should take a break from the thread, just so I can try to stop getting on your nerves and making you think I'm a detractor. If I post anything tomorrow, just remind me of this, OK?
I see nothing wrong with your post, you are entitled to your opinion and might be right at the end of the day. Being pessimistic to protect yourself from potential disappointment is ok. Plus, evey side of the story is worth mentioning

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Anyone can say they have a video. He has provided nothing to lend credence to his claim of having a video. If I had to predict, when the time he promised to release the video comes, either he will abandon the ruse entirely or try and save face by saying "I'm soryr guys, but i just found out that if i released this video, it would point to the team that leaked it to me and would then put their jobs in danger, so i won't be showing it after all" or something to that effect.

If you are going to let yourself get worried over everyone claiming something, you aren't going to have much time for anything else because once this "leak" blows over 10 more will take it's place. If there were some other evidence to suggest this guy is more than talk, then it would be another story. As it is now i would say fake until proven otherwise because he has given nothing to back up his claim.
I remember him saying it was gonna be out Firday....its Saturday now.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I remember him saying it was gonna be out Firday....its Saturday now.
Probably going to edit the footage to have Steve on it now lol. I swear if the footage is not of in game battle but just the character select screen then I will call fake.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Yeah, the powers of video- and image editing are powerful, but at the same time limited.
You can edit static images in.

But faking live gameplay in a believable manner is next to impossible.
So live gameplay-footage remains as the only true evidence in that regard.

And since we see none of that, can we just stop talking about these leaks?

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
The only thing I can say about that video is "Inb4 it's just an elaborate Rickroll"

Anyways, back on the speculation train, I'm getting super antsy for more info. It hasn't even been 10 days since the direct. AAAAAAAAAA.
They left us like nothing to speculate on ;~;

I hope the next Smash direct is soon-ish in October, 'cause I want everyone to have some more stuff to go on.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Yeah, the powers of video- and image editing are powerful, but at the same time limited.

Not really. Go back and watch the "Rayman leak" during the Smash 4 days. He had done the character select gameplay and all. That is why I specifically state "if no actual fighting gameplay is shown then I will call it fake".

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Not really. Go back and watch the "Rayman leak" during the Smash 4 days. He had done the character select gameplay and all. That is why I specifically state "if no actual fighting gameplay is shown then I will call it fake".
Well with live-gameplay, I meant actual fights, not just menus.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
If the dude says "I need more time" or any other BS excuse then it will be automatic fail and fake.
Indeed.
Menu's are easy to fake, but actual fights, not really.

So if you want to show off characters, there is no reason to not show live-footage of them.
People don't want to see the character select screen, they want to see how the character fights in actual gameplay.
And if you can't deliver that, you're a fraud.

So yeah, that's all there is to it.
Can we finally put this leak-banter to rest now?

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Indeed.
Menu's are easy to fake, but actual fights, not really.

So if you want to show off characters, there is no reason to not show live-footage of them.
People don't want to see the character select screen, they want to see how the character fights in actual gameplay.
And if you can't deliver that, you're a fraud.

So yeah, that's all there is to it.
Can we finally put this leak-banter to rest now?
Yeah at least until 12PM EST when the footage is "supposed" to be shown.

So are WayForward still not answering Smash related tweets still?

zferolie

Smash Hero
how many times do we have to say the stanley leak is fake. it has skullkid as playable, that makes it fake.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Yeah at least until 12PM EST when the footage is "supposed" to be shown.

So are WayForward still not answering Smash related tweets still?
On their Facebook page earlier today one guy made a post asking if there would be a physical release of Pirate's Curse for Switch and if Shantae was in Smash.

They answered the first question and didn't even acknowledge the second.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
On their Facebook page earlier today one guy made a post asking if there would be a physical release of Pirate's Curse for Switch and if Shantae was in Smash.

They answered the first question and didn't even acknowledge the second.
Interesting.

Though honestly, I didn't expect this to change anytime soon.
And until Shantae is shown in the game, I think it'll stay that way.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
The only problem with Ken is that he can easily be a moded Ryu since they are the same height and even same body structure as each other besides same moves, (with some obvious differences on how it works in the actual SF series.)

So even with a video, we have to look at it hard to make sure no one is pulling out leg.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Does anyone have an exact date for when Wayforward stopped replying to, and making, Smash related posts?

I recall you folks mentioning somewhere in early 2016.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Side note: people have tried modding Smash4 and passing that off as ultimate but it never works.

New topic, now that HGH has wrapped up development what's next for Way forward? A new entry in the mighty series? Mighty Switch force where Patricia's a medic?

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
Side note: people have tried modding Smash4 and passing that off as ultimate but it never works.

New topic, now that HGH has wrapped up development what's next for Way forward? A new entry in the mighty series? Mighty Switch force where Patricia's a medic?
I would love a new mighty game. I freaking loved MSF Acadamy. Buuuuuuuuuuut I want another Shantae game ASAP. I just cannot get enough of this character.

Honestly, I would love if there was some cross over between all of WayForwards characters. Whether it be in a game, animated short, or comic. I just love the design of all of them.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
The only problem with Ken is that he can easily be a moded Ryu since they are the same height and even same body structure as each other besides same moves, (with some obvious differences on how it works in the actual SF series.)

So even with a video, we have to look at it hard to make sure no one is pulling out leg.
If I was Sakurai and wanted Ken then to make him unique then have him have the Flaming Shoryuken and remove the flaming Hadoken.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If I was Sakurai and wanted Ken then to make him unique then have him have the Flaming Shoryuken and remove the flaming Hadoken.
You'd have to change his forward smash (High-Level Blade Kick, or more formally donkey kick) and heavy forward tilt (Collarbone Breaker) too, those moves are traditionally Ryu-exclusive.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
If Sakurai looked at leaks, he’d probably just get rid of Ken entirely just to say, “this is what you get for destroying the hype of my last big smash!”

Top Bottom