• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shark X

Smash Lord
I hope the next character reveal is one that completely craps on Vergs leaks similar to what happened to Gematsu when Robin's trailer dropped in 4. Maybe we will get Decidueye or some other Pokemon instead of Incineroar.

He is the only legit leak we have and I am so sick of people talking about it. They take them as true and freak out and feel their character wont happen because they are not in a leak.
I kind of hope so too, but for two reasons. One, I HATE everything about Incineroar. He looks boring, generic, I just don't care. We also don't need a new Pokemon every damn single game, but at least Decidueye looks more creative. Two, Shantae hasn't even remotely been on his radar, and that is starting to scare me.

I'm amazed you don't know bur yeah Corrin got the worst reception of any non Clone newcomer lmao, he's still getting bashed today
Even more so than Rob or Bayonetta? I didn't care for Corrin, but didn't hate her either. Helped that she was cute. Didn't care for Rob, but thought he was an interesting choice. Bayonetta, still on that hate train with her. Those are the two characters I see getting all the hate. Like, only character I see get more hate than those two is Dark Pit, because he is more clone than any other clone. They literally basically just took one of Pit's colors from Brawl, and gave it it's own character slot... Like, no way can anyone be more hated than that...well...maybe Steve.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
A character being hated never stopped them from being sold to us though :ultcorrin:
To be fair, she was only hated due to other factors. We already had a new fire emblem character in 4 along with Roy's return and we knew that direct would be the last time for Smash 4 DLC. The character also felt like a push to sell Fates.

If she was revealed in Ultimate. She wouldn't get close to as much hate.

Steve isn't associated with Nintendo and isn't a gaming icon that carrys game history.

Shark X

Smash Lord
Personally, if they went with Azura instead of Corrin I think it would have been a little better received (I mean a lance/spear waterbending songstress would have been amazing).
Oh my god. I just looked this character up, and now I'm pissed at Corrin's inclusion...she looks soo much cooler and better than any other Fire Emblem character in the game... I may be ticked by 'too many Fire Emblem characters' but I will take her!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Steve isn't associated with Nintendo and isn't a gaming icon that carrys game history.
Nintendo loves Minecraft, they even have a New 2DS that's Creeper-themed.

Despite its lack of game history, it at least has tons of merchandise and is known by nearly everyone, and loved by most. Sequels don't make sense for the main Minecraft game, anyway, and it has long development history, as its developers at Mojang keep updating it. It's been around since 2009.

If he ever got in, he'd be cool imo, and could open the door to more Microsoft IPs, hopefully B-K. He wouldn't steal a slot, because that concept doesn't exist.

Last edited:

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
I hope the video everyone is freaking out about leads to a Rick Roll.
what do you think the characters in Shantae's ATs would look like?
Rottytops
Sky
Bolo
Risky
Uncle Mimic(?)
Tinkerbats
Squid Baron

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hi, here's an update on Dylly, just to keep current

He had a lot of trouble earlier in the day, but is doing a lot better now, even if he can't move his legs and has trouble hearing now, besides that he is even calmer than usual now. Watching shows (with subtitles.)
Not much else to report for now. He was able to talk to a few people.

I'm a bit out of the loop in the shantae thread now, so I can't comment much on it. ;p

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord

He had a lot of trouble earlier in the day, but is doing a lot better now, even if he can't move his legs and has trouble hearing now, besides that he is even calmer than usual now. Watching shows (with subtitles.)

I'm a bit out of the loop in the shantae thread now, so I can't comment much on it. ;p
he cant move his legs?

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Oh my god. I just looked this character up, and now I'm pissed at Corrin's inclusion...she looks soo much cooler and better than any other Fire Emblem character in the game... I may be ticked by 'too many Fire Emblem characters' but I will take her!
They could’ve gone for anyone from that game that doesn’t use a sword and no one would’ve complained about it, just sayin. Also I predict the next reveal will make Vergeben go silent for good, being something out of left field, but a good throwback to classic melee leaks: Tails flies in!

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai didnt even have the sense to make the female corrin the default one.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I never believed leaks before, but I'm starting to get worried here. Shantae hasn't once been mentioned in any 'supposed' leak, and while I feel this Vergban (not sure his actual name) got lucky so far like I did (besides Richter who I never heard of, I correctly guessed every other character as well), he's currently staking his reputation backing up a guy that supposedly leaked the whole roaster, including some useless unwanted character I never heard of named Steve...this is getting worrisome... Now, as much as I hate Minecraft, a Minecraft stage might be somewhat neat, but a character? And Vergban is backing it? Yeah, worried now.
There's no need to be worried. It could be a good thing that no leaker is mentioning her as it could speak to WayForward's suspected NDA.

Remember, Verge didn't know about K Rool. I'm pretty sure there's a few characters he doesn't know about and honestly I have my doubts that he's had credible information since E3. Loz18 is completely debunked now so that's another leaker we shouldn't pay attention to.

My rule is that "leaks are always fake until proven real".

But if a Pokemon, Ken, and even Steve (shudder) get in, they still have no impact on Shantae's chances.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Nintendo loves Minecraft, they even have a New 2DS that's Creeper-themed.

Despite its lack of game history, it at least has tons of merchandise and is known by nearly everyone, and loved by most. Sequels don't make sense for the main Minecraft game, anyway, and it has long development history, as its developers at Mojang keep updating it. It's been around since 2009.

If he ever got in, he'd be cool imo, and could open the door to more Microsoft IPs, hopefully B-K. He wouldn't steal a slot, because that concept doesn't exist.
Oh, then I guess the Octane body from Rocket League is going to be a fighter as well.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Did Shovel Knight make it into that too?
I don't think so. Wasn't it said that sales didn't too well over there?

That's terrible…Bad enough he can't hear anything when he can't move either. Poor guy. :urg:

Sakurai didnt even have the sense to make the female corrin the default one.
Yeah even Fire Emblem Warriors did! Or...the female one was the one they advertised all the time at least. Haven't gotten the actual game yet.
Some things don't get changed for grandfather clause reasons. Take :ultyoshi:, he still has the same voiceclips since about '01.

Then again, Ultimate has been planned and worked on from 2015 onwards and they ported over a lot of characters, so they most likely didn't have time to check over a detail like that (let alone from an Omega Force game).

Oh, then I guess the Octane body from Rocket League is going to be a fighter as well.
After Fighters Megamix, we could use another game with a car as a fighter.

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Yeah even Fire Emblem Warriors did! Or...the female one was the one they advertised all the time at least. Haven't gotten the actual game yet.
yeah the female corrin is the default for fire emblem warriors along with male robin, you have to unlock the other genders.

the thing with male Corrin being the default in smash is probably because the general public of north america was unaware of FE:F, and even in japan no one really cared about which version of Corrin was better at the time, so Sakurai probably just made an eenie meenie mine mo and picked the male one

and for fire emblem warriors, the devs probably went on the internet to find out which ones people preffered, and decided Male Robin and Female Corrin were the defaults

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I don’t want Steve to ever get in, he doesn’t fit in the roster, not any moveset potential, less expressive than a fence post. He literally goes against everything in Sakurai’s design philosophy, and I don’t see it happening.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm not familiar with Rocket League other than playing it some.

It has an actual character?

not any moveset potential
I don't understand this; he has lot's of potential.

also, he could fit in the roster as well as any of the other characters that don't fit next to each other.

I don't really care if he's in or not, but I'm seeing arguments that seem to be made simply because of dislike; as in, these arguments don't seem to really be based on anything. I'm seeing some completely valid ones, then ones with no actual reasons given. It's perfectly fine to dislike the character, I'm just not understanding some of these.

Last edited:

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818

Was looking through my likes and favourites. Thought you might like this.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225

Grateful he's not dying right away, but cancer is always painful anyway. Hoping he can fight it...

Anyway, about...Steve(?). I don't feel he deserves to be playable, because I personally am NOT a Minecraft sort of person. I'd be down for the game having miscellaneous representation - like stages or music - but aside from my bias, the blocky way he's supposed to animate would be an excruciating obstacle for the Smash team. Sure, Minecraft and Steve(?) may have earned a handful of votes in the Smash Ballot, but until leaks start discerning truth from lies, it's too little too late.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So, found this video from RelaxAlax that i thought you guys would like to see. This is honestly the lest tinfoily reason to have hope for more than just a few more characters.

But seriously, of we were to get that many more characters, it would be hard to fill the list with the most likely characters and leave our girl out.

D

Deleted member

But seriously, of we were to get that many more characters, it would be hard to fill the list with the most likely characters and leave our girl out.
If so then why are all these pieces of evedence that we came across point her to be a fighter?

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
So, found this video from RelaxAlax that i thought you guys would like to see. This is honestly the lest tinfoily reason to have hope for more than just a few more characters.

Geno
Isaac
Shadow
Shantae
Ken
Incineroar
Chorus men or someone rhythm heaven related
Banjo & Kazooie?

Shark X

Smash Lord
Geno
Isaac
Shadow
Shantae
Ken
Incineroar
Chorus men or someone rhythm heaven related
Banjo & Kazooie?
I would be fine with this if we replace Isaac, Shadow, Incineroar, and Chorus Kids with Skull Kid, Metal Sonic (or Eggman), Geno, and after learning of the character a few posts ago, Azura.

But hell, I'd still take Chorus Kids over Karate Joe or Steve.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
If so then why are all these pieces of evedence that we came across point her to be a fighter?
I'm saying that it would be hard to pick a list of 7 characters that are all likely ans still not include Shantae.

I guess the double negative made it confusing, sorry.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Agreed on Female Corrin, it would’ve been nice to mix it up a little with the avatar characters by making her default. Though to be perfectly honest, I can’t bring myself to hate Male Corrin, mainly because I have a bit of a soft spot for Cam Clarke. (I mean it’s not my favorite role of his but still) Speaking of which, any one else think his Arthur voice would fit this loser pretty well?:

E9B07D94-272C-4406-B2A0-1338F20C3325.png

Shark X

Smash Lord
Agreed on Female Corrin, it would’ve been nice to mix it up a little with the avatar characters by making her default. Though to be perfectly honest, I can’t bring myself to hate Male Corrin, mainly because I have a bit of a soft spot for Cam Clarke. (I mean it’s not my favorite role of his but still)
I didn't know 80's Leonardo/Liquid Snake was male Corrin. Huh. Now we have David Hayter AND Cam Clarke...AND Rob Paulson. Bit of a Ninja Turtles/Metal Gear reunion going on with this Smash...

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Don’t listen to him she’ll make it;)
I don't know how you aren't getting what I am saying. I'm saying that 7-8 characters makes it incredibly LIKELY that Shantae WILL be in the game.

My reasoning being that it would be very hard to fill that many character slots with highly requested/speculated characters and not include her.

Shark X

Smash Lord
I don't know how you aren't getting what I am saying. I'm saying that 7-8 characters makes it incredibly LIKELY that Shantae WILL be in the game.

My reasoning being that it would be very hard to fill that many character slots with highly requested/speculated characters and not include her.
First time I think he made a mistake. The second time, judging from the smiley he used, he's going along with his previous mistake for comedy.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Does anyone actually want these leaks to be real? To be able to know exactly what's going to be revealed before it is? To walk into each upcoming direct and fully know, 100%, who will be revealed? To repeat Smash 4's ending months where everyone remaining was 100% leaked?

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
Does anyone actually want these leaks to be real? To be able to know exactly what's going to be revealed before it is? To walk into each upcoming direct and fully know, 100%, who will be revealed? To repeat Smash 4's ending months where everyone remaining was 100% leaked?
I hope not. Kills the fun of speculating characters if we already know who's in.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I wasn't paying too much attention during Smash 4 so I had no idea about Gematsu until later, but holy **** I was mad about the Ryu and Roy leak before E3. Ryu would have been such a hype announcement.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
First time I think he made a mistake. The second time, judging from the smiley he used, he's going along with his previous mistake for comedy.
I'm gonna assume that otherwise I'm gonna go crazy trying to think how I could word it without making it confusing.

Anyway, 7 more characters would work very nicely as you could fit most all the fan favorites and most expected. If I had to wager a guess/wish list I would say...

Newcomers
Shantae: Likely and wanted by me
Geno: Likely and I'd be interested in
Isaac: Likely

Echos
Ken: Don't really like but seems incredibly likely
Shadow: Basically the same as Ken
Dixie: Likely and my second most wanted after Shantae
And last Medusa(if 7) Or Medusa and Viridi(if 8)

Now I know a lot of people would be upset with Kid Icarus getting two more echos, but here is my reasoning. In Smash 4 Palutena had 12 unique special moves as her main gimmick was that her custom moves were completely different from her defaults rather than being variations.

Now in Ultimate, it looks like custom move just aren't a thing anymore. Which means there are 8 unique special moves going completely to waste. I don't see Sakurai wanting to let all that work go in vain, So I definitely see him making one echo to use 4 of them and could just as easily see him making another echo to use the remaining 4.

Medusa and Viridi both have a staff/polearm weapon so not much about them would need to change. And yes, Viridi is shorter than Palutena, but Young Link was a clone of Link back in Melee even tho he was shorter, so I don't see that stopping them.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I hope the video everyone is freaking out about leads to a Rick Roll.
what do you think the characters in Shantae's ATs would look like?
Rottytops
Sky
Bolo
Risky
Uncle Mimic(?)
Tinkerbats
Squid Baron
Sky will probably be too busy as Shantae's entrance animation, and maybe also as a part of her final smash (my money's still on it being Friends to The End). The three don't exactly have enough individually to be prime assist material, though they could just function as they did in that mode.

Risky would behave much like her Half-Genie Hero boss fight, jumping around firing pistol shots with the occasional dash slash and cannon fire.

Mimic doesn't have a chance. Never takes action once, all he does is build stuff that can't even be used for fighting.

Tinkerbat(s) would use a mixture of tactics used in Half-Genie Hero, including a sword-flailing charge.

Squid Baron spins back and forth across the stage then stomps to make shockwaves. Repeat.
I mean, honestly, Shantae's movement options, settings and cast all would be fantastic in a 3D platforming setting. The issue is that WF probably couldn't pull it off.

Her transforming is a great gimmick for 3D exploration and the character designs are cartoony, but just solid enough to work in a stylized (maybe WW style cel-shaded) 3D environment.
If you pay close attention to what is in Shantae games, you will see that they learn from the best. I'm fairly confident they could pull such a thing off, if not necessarily flawlessly, with proper care. It would probably feel more like a Zelda title, or Okami.

Shark X

Smash Lord
I'm gonna assume that otherwise I'm gonna go crazy trying to think how I could word it without making it confusing.

Anyway, 7 more characters would work very nicely as you could fit most all the fan favorites and most expected. If I had to wager a guess/wish list I would say...

Newcomers
Shantae: Likely and wanted by me
Geno: Likely and I'd be interested in
Isaac: Likely

Echos
Ken: Don't really like but seems incredibly likely
Shadow: Basically the same as Ken
Dixie: Likely and my second most wanted after Shantae
And last Medusa(if 7) Or Medusa and Viridi(if 8)

Now I know a lot of people would be upset with Kid Icarus getting two more echos, but here is my reasoning. In Smash 4 Palutena had 12 unique special moves as her main gimmick was that her custom moves were completely different from her defaults rather than being variations.

Now in Ultimate, it looks like custom move just aren't a thing anymore. Which means there are 8 unique special moves going completely to waste. I don't see Sakurai wanting to let all that work go in vain, So I definitely see him making one echo to use 4 of them and could just as easily see him making another echo to use the remaining 4.

Medusa and Viridi both have a staff/polearm weapon so not much about them would need to change. And yes, Viridi is shorter than Palutena, but Young Link was a clone of Link back in Melee even tho he was shorter, so I don't see that stopping them.
Yeah I would like both of those, and I'm worried on how bad Palutena is going to be since she was only good with her custom moves. But unfortunately, I don't see either of them happening. Maybe as DLC, but I don't see them as base roster. Also, I feel Uprising was made with the intention of adding new characters from Kid Icarus to Smash, like Magnus, Phosphora, Viridi, and Hades, and seriously, they gave Pandora a human form for seemingly no reason. Seem's like Sakurai was trying to make quite a few new characters for Smash potential. Yet, all we got was Palutena...and Dark Pit. Dark Pit of ALL people...

Top Bottom