• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, so I know it's been a while but can we talk about this?

We know now that
  • it's not a teaser for a new game (confirmed by WF)
  • it's not a reference to Shantae appearing in a crossover fighter (confirmed by Shantae not showing up in anything recent)
  • it's not a reference to any future HGH updates since it was the last one
  • it's the first time a game has ended on such a note
Sooooo what is Uncle Mimic referring to? Actually I'm dropping the pretenses, assuming this is about Smash, would Wayforward hype up Shantae appearing as an NPC?
If she were stuck as an Assist Trophy wouldn't it make more sense to not stir up your audience with some very obviously Smash flavored dialog?
We gotta admit that WF is stirring the boiling pot if she isn't playable. Thats not right to lie to us, ya know? Why the hints? Its almost troubling.

And, assuming that Yacht games never hyped shovel knight to be an assist trophy, maybe Wayfoward would've done the same. Who knows.

I've legit been wondering what they could pull as the final boss this time around, especially since last time was basically nightmare fuel.
Crazy Hand's version of Master Fortress. Lel.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician

We know now that
  • it's not a reference to Shantae appearing in a crossover fighter (confirmed by Shantae not showing up in anything recent)
Sooooo what is Uncle Mimic referring to? Actually I'm dropping the pretenses, assuming this is about Smash, would Wayforward hype up Shantae appearing as an NPC?
If she were stuck as an Assist Trophy wouldn't it make more sense to not stir up your audience with some very obviously Smash flavored dialog?
So not to be a downer but this to me is just one of those things where a character is basically saying "you got your whole future ahead of you." I could see it as a Smash hint, but it's kinda reaching.
I've legit been wondering what they could pull as the final boss this time around, especially since last time was basically nightmare fuel.

To be fair they were figures first (Smash 64), and then Trophys in Melee, and then Brawl's story. 4 didn't really have them as anything.

Assuming this "Spirits" mode turns out real they could be something else entirely. Personally I hope they drop the "these characters are trophies" or "turn into trophies upon defeat" thing (which you can argue they already did with the Simon trailer, that whole thing with Luigi's soul etc) because if I can be honest, that whole thing pulled me out of Subspace Emissary. I still had fun with the game mode but I lost a lot of investment because the game kept hitting me over the head with what felt like "these aren't really the characters you know and love 'cause they are just trophies."
Maybe I'm just messed up but Tabuu's "total party kill" lost all of it's impact when everyone just turned into trophies. "oh nooo, not our heroes" I said out loud, sarcastically.

Personal peeve, don't mind me.
I actually prefer that they're trophies, because it makes no sense for example for Link to pull out the Master Sword in a forest that's apparently home to Yoshi, or why a Arwing would be flying around the Halberd. There's basically no story to how these worlds are suddenly connected and plenty of them have mythos and histories that make them impossible to be the same world, so until we get that, them just being trophies all in some replicated world that's just meshed together pieces of other worlds is the best choice for story telling reasons.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
WII U the characters were also trophies. That is why "Assist Trophies" exists. They are ALL Trophies to life characters.

Which is why characters in Smash are NOT the canon height they are. Look at :ultolimar: he is a TINY being compared to characters like Mario and Link yet he is not in Smash Bros. Why is this? Because THEY ARE ALL TROPHIES!!!!!!!

It is confirmed that the world Smash comes from are not the real ones.

In other words do not take these characters seriously.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

To be fair they were figures first (Smash 64), and then Trophys in Melee, and then Brawl's story. 4 didn't really have them as anything.

Assuming this "Spirits" mode turns out real they could be something else entirely. Personally I hope they drop the "these characters are trophies" or "turn into trophies upon defeat" thing (which you can argue they already did with the Simon trailer, that whole thing with Luigi's soul etc) because if I can be honest, that whole thing pulled me out of Subspace Emissary. I still had fun with the game mode but I lost a lot of investment because the game kept hitting me over the head with what felt like "these aren't really the characters you know and love 'cause they are just trophies."
Maybe I'm just messed up but Tabuu's "total party kill" lost all of it's impact when everyone just turned into trophies. "oh nooo, not our heroes" I said out loud, sarcastically.

Personal peeve, don't mind me.
Actually, you might not be far off from the truth. So far, character trailers have overall seemed darker and edgier than last time (Isabelle's is the only one with no violence or unsettling presentation in it up to now). Even K. Rool's trailer was intense in spots, despite being comedic overall.

I mean, just look at Jr's trailer in 4, it's about the one reveal trailer that came closest to being intense for that game. Sure, Mario was beat up six ways to sunday, but it didn't seem like it was implied he got killed like in Ridley's. And the deadliest thing that happened in these trailers was Chrom being Falconed Punched so hard that he was demoted away from a newcomer position.

Spirits might have higher stakes than SSE. We can't be certain about it, but the signs would be there.

Also, trophies can be broken, like Bowser's at the end of Melee's Adventure mode.

Last edited:

TJKBird

Smash Cadet
Really? You're handwaving the flaws with "well it could have changed in production" despite no evidence supporting that. Not to mention Ken looking like complete *** and having wildly different shading than any other humanoid in the game (look at his HAIR). Combined with being yet another blurry photo leak, the easiest kind of leak to fake and the evidence for it being fake is way stronger than the "evidence" saying it's real.
We actually do have precedent where the images in the icons are cut off. We got press release images images following the Belmont reveal and in one of the images Cloud has his hair clipped off outside of the diamond similarly to Pichu. We also have evidence of the portraits changing ala Ridley from the E3 tournament having his portrait cut off in the diamond and the Ridley from the 2v2 against Lucina and Chrom having his head extend past the diamond. So it is entirely possible that the Pichu icon is legit. Now that doesn't necessarily say this is a legitimate photo just that part could be legit.

We know now that
Regarding the Jammies mode the Warning screens are a reference to Blaster Master Zero, these message play whenever you encounter a boss. The "Jammies Mode is Here" and Mimics quotes are certainly interesting though.

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
So not to be a downer but this to me is just one of those things where a character is basically saying "you got your whole future ahead of you." I could see it as a Smash hint, but it's kinda reaching.

I actually prefer that they're trophies, because it makes no sense for example for Link to pull out the Master Sword in a forest that's apparently home to Yoshi, or why a Arwing would be flying around the Halberd. There's basically no story to how these worlds are suddenly connected and plenty of them have mythos and histories that make them impossible to be the same world, so until we get that, them just being trophies all in some replicated world that's just meshed together pieces of other worlds is the best choice for story telling reasons.
What about the mysterious Smash Doors scattered around like in Brawl?

Yeah, the door that will take you to this beautiful land in the middle of the forest (basically, a safe zone and save point).

If they acted like gateways to other worlds, that could be one way.

TJKBird

Smash Cadet
We gotta admit that WF is stirring the boiling pot if she isn't playable. Thats not right to lie to us, ya know? Why the hints? Its almost troubling.

And, assuming that Yacht games never hyped shovel knight to be an assist trophy, maybe Wayfoward would've done the same. Who knows.

Crazy Hand's version of Master Fortress. Lel.
It's entirely possible that the Jammies mode is just coincidence. It's not WF fault if everyone here is reading into them like some kind of big conspiracy.

D

Deleted member

While it didn't end up being the game I had hoped for, I was glad to have been a part of it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last kickstarter update, wished they hinted something there.
Someone needs to crack the hidden message lol

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/2294157

Edit: This quote is actually very relevant:

"Shantae Half-Genie Hero even went on to break sales records on Nintendo Switch, and entered Famitsu’s Gold Medal Hall of Fame."
As of today we don’t have plans for any future Kickstarter Updates. But if we have any significant WayForward or Shantae related news that we feel is appropriate to share with you, we might reach out again down the line. Don’t be too surprised if we coming knocking someday!
Well, if anything Smash-related happens, they'll be the first ones to say it after Sakurai. So we'll see what happens.

That said, HGH getting into Famitsu’s Gold Medal Hall of Fame is nothing to sneeze at, so it does prove that the series has a Japanese audience that likes it.

Last edited:

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I legitimately thought he might get that. It gets difficult to come up with new attacks for a pair of hands after a while, I'd imagine.
Oh God. 9.0 on Wii U was bad enough. That thing is incredibly hard to beat.

If there's a "Crazy Scale" like they did before, we could be looking at a Nightmare version of Classic Mode.

It's entirely possible that the Jammies mode is just coincidence. It's not WF fault if everyone here is reading into them like some kind of big conspiracy.
Thats why the only evidence I believe is Wayforwards silence. Everything else could be coincidences, but it would suck if they lied to their fans..

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/2294157

"Shantae Half-Genie Hero even went on to break sales records on Nintendo Switch, and entered Famitsu’s Gold Medal Hall of Fame."
Only thing tin foil worthy is the line "Don't be too surprised if we com(e)ing(sic) knocking someday!", but that's about it.

TJKBird

Smash Cadet
Oh God. 9.0 on Wii U was bad enough. That thing is incredibly hard to beat.

If there's a "Crazy Scale" like they did before, we could be looking at a Nightmare version of Classic Mode.

Thats why the only evidence I believe is Wayforwards silence. Everything else could be coincidences, but it would suck if they lied to their fans..
But they haven't lied about anything? They have never come out and explicitly said "Shantae will be in Smash in some capacity", in fact they haven't commented on it at all. That isn't lying they just aren't addressing the questions.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

I mean, they did say "As of today we don’t have plans for any future Kickstarter Updates. But if we have any significant WayForward or Shantae related news that we feel is appropriate to share with you, we might reach out again down the line. Don’t be too surprised if we coming knocking someday!"
Which is nice of them.

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
But they haven't lied about anything? They have never come out and explicitly said "Shantae will be in Smash in some capacity", in fact they haven't commented on it at all. That isn't lying they just aren't addressing the questions.
Fair enough. Idk what to make of it, tbh.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
We're simply implying that WF is under an NDA, though aside from their radio silence, we don't have solid evidence.

TJKBird

Smash Cadet
We're simply implying that WF is under an NDA, though aside from their radio silence, we don't have solid evidence.
Right I understand and agree with that notion, I think it's a fair assumption they are under an NDA or at least there is some reason why they feel the need to not straight up de-confirm Shantae in Ultimate. I was just replying to PichuMain as they felt that WF was lying which just isn't true. Wayforward has not issued any statements on Shantae's inclusion or lack thereof in Ultimate so it wouldn't be fair to hold them accountable for anyone's dissapointment in this thread if she doesn't appear in Ultimate. We are the ones creating the evidence and saying it points to her inclusion, while I personally feel there is merit to the claims it could all just be coincidence and it would be my fault for believing it so I would have no right to be upset at Wayforward. The only argument I could permit would be them not just de-confirming her out of the gate but there could be a reason for why they would do this that we are not privy too.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
What I find odd is that the people who dismiss Shantae's evidence and chances are almost always the same ones who jump to believe in any fake leak that comes out.

And speaking of leaks, why are the image leaks always so blurry? Why do they always only leak one character?

The Ken leak is a well done fake, probably one of the best I've seen so far, but it's still fake.

D

Deleted member

No.

There was simply a clarification regarding how WF's potential hints do NOT equal lying if Shantae isn't in Smash Ultimate.

Edit: notice the conditional language like "potential" and "if". Extraneous possibilities should always be considered.
What do you mean?

Also the blog spots are still missing

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
The "Jammies Mode is Here" and Mimics quotes are certainly interesting though.
Both of you guys would be right on that I'm reaching if not for the fact that we've have Wayforward ignoring questions about Smash for over uhhhhh, like 5 months now? Before Ultimate was fully announced at E3 and Jammies mode. Probably longer, but there's no way to check just how long.

Like I said earlier, the Jammies mode thing is a single coincidence that's pretty small on it's own, but combined with the multiple strange instances surrounding Wayforward's silence, Shantae's absence from crossover fighters and everything else Stephano stated things start looking suspicious. One thing is not enough to base a theory off of, but several of them all happening at once REALLY gets your noggin' joggin'.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
So at this point the two missing blog posts belong to either Shantae or Quote, and Shantae has ALOT more evidence. I like these odds.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Playing the New Game Plus mode in Half-Genie Hero is very fun.
I love sequence breaking and starting off with the Harpy is definitely useful, to say the least. : 3

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Right I understand and agree with that notion, I think it's a fair assumption they are under an NDA or at least there is some reason why they feel the need to not straight up de-confirm Shantae in Ultimate. I was just replying to PichuMain as they felt that WF was lying which just isn't true. Wayforward has not issued any statements on Shantae's inclusion or lack thereof in Ultimate so it wouldn't be fair to hold them accountable for anyone's dissapointment in this thread if she doesn't appear in Ultimate. We are the ones creating the evidence and saying it points to her inclusion, while I personally feel there is merit to the claims it could all just be coincidence and it would be my fault for believing it so I would have no right to be upset at Wayforward. The only argument I could permit would be them not just de-confirming her out of the gate but there could be a reason for why they would do this that we are not privy too.
Tbf, you're right about that. I just worry about the outrage. The "They lied to us" argument. If they confirm that Shantae isn't playable, can you imagine the backlash from the fans of Wayforward? Thats gonna suck...

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
What do you mean?

Also the blog spots are still missing
Some people above were talking about whether WayForward would be lying to the fans (considering all the hints in Jammies mode, etc.) if Shantae does not show up in Smash Ultimate as a playable fighter. That's not true--"if" Shantae does not appear in Smash, WF will not have lied to us. The main concern here, I think, is that some people might lash out at WF due to their potential hints (this would be bad) "if" it turns out Shantae's not in Smash.

Nothing has changed regarding Shantae's chances. We're just trying to limit a potential backlash if it turns out she's not in.

Both of you guys would be right on that I'm reaching if not for the fact that we've have Wayforward ignoring questions about Smash for over uhhhhh, like 5 months now? Before Ultimate was fully announced at E3 and Jammies mode. Probably longer, but there's no way to check just how long.
I think it's more like 2 and a half years of silence if you're not counting the January 2017 interview with James Montagna posted on YouTube (this depends on whether James would even be part of the NDA, or aware of what's even potentially going on with Shantae/Smash).

Edit: then again, that interview doesn't do anything to overtly break an NDA either. Just James saying he doesn't think any indie characters would get in a future installment of Smash (and that was more than a full year before we knew there was a new Smash even being worked on)

Like I said earlier, the Jammies mode thing is a single coincidence that's pretty small on it's own, but combined with the multiple strange instances surrounding Wayforward's silence, Shantae's absence from crossover fighters and everything else Stephano stated things start looking suspicious. One thing is not enough to base a theory off of, but several of them all happening at once REALLY gets your noggin' joggin'.
Agreed.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
There are only a few questions to be had if Shantae doesn’t appear in any capacity: why the silence for so long? Why not just tell us from the get go? Why is Shovel Knight making an appearance and not Shantae when they were on even terms in popularity? Those questions only work IF she doesn’t appear, but I think she will.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
There are only a few questions to be had if Shantae doesn’t appear in any capacity: why the silence for so long? Why not just tell us from the get go? Why is Shovel Knight making an appearance and not Shantae when they were on even terms in popularity? Those questions only work IF she doesn’t appear, but I think she will.
The only other possibility that comes to mind is Shantae AT, but even then we have would have questions regarding Yacht Club's twitter statements regarding Shovel Knight and Smash about a year ago. They weighed in rather explicitly on SK's chances (and he turned out to be an AT--which could easily have been accomplished between then and now in development terms because I'd wager that ATs are much easier to create then playable characters), and that's something I believe is a big no-no if you're under an NDA.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
This is what I'm not getting as well. Why are they acting so out of character and blatantly ignoring any questions about Smash? They're not the type of company that would screw around with their fans, so why not tell us if she's not in Smash from the get go?

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
In regards to potential backlash, I feel that's kind of inevitable if Shantae isn't in Smash in some capacity. It would be so easy for WF to say "naw fam she's not in :/" and rather than continue to speculate her chances, we'd either move on or rally to get her as DLC or something. WF should know better than anyone how hype Shantae fans are about Smash Bros so them deliberately ignoring us only to have the game drop with no Shantae would absolutely upset fans.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Thoughts?
The guy is arguing in its favor. Pichu is positioned differently, the ears are cut different.

Guys, I'm sorry if I ticked yall off; that wasn't my intention. I was just trying to point some stuff out, trying to show why this leak may need to be kept in mind. I'm not saying it's definitely real, because nothing online ever is.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
The guy is arguing in its favor. Pichu is positioned differently, the ears are cut different.

Guys, I'm sorry if I ticked yall off; that wasn't my intention. I was just trying to point some stuff out, trying to show why this leak may need to be kept in mind. I'm not saying it's definitely real, because nothing online ever is.
I know he is, I just wanted to know what you thought about it lol.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman

We know now that
When was is it confirmed by WF not to be a teaser for a new game? Or that its the last HGH update?

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Well, if anything Smash-related happens, they'll be the first ones to say it after Sakurai. So we'll see what happens.

That said, HGH getting into Famitsu’s Gold Medal Hall of Fame is nothing to sneeze at, so it does prove that the series has a Japanese audience that likes it.
Did Shovel Knight make it into that too?

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
In regards to potential backlash, I feel that's kind of inevitable if Shantae isn't in Smash in some capacity. It would be so easy for WF to say "naw fam she's not in :/" and rather than continue to speculate her chances, we'd either move on or rally to get her as DLC or something. WF should know better than anyone how hype Shantae fans are about Smash Bros so them deliberately ignoring us only to have the game drop with no Shantae would absolutely upset fans.
Thats why I'm genuinely worried. I really don't want this to turn into the Ashley debacle, where Ashley fans were completely outraged (Tbh, saw most of it on 4chan, but still). Only difference is we have suspicion about ours. Its going to be pretty devastating.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Just because something is posted on the internet, doesn't make it real. Remember the Palutena and Rayman leaks from last speculation cycle?

I'm still on the side of this particular leak being fake. While I still think it's very likely that we'll get Ken, I'm not buying this particular leak. I'd honestly rather hear the news from Nintendo themselves instead of some fake leaker.

Top Bottom