• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Alright guys I have some "leaks from 4chan". But it does come with evidence. Let's use our detective abilities to see if we can debunk this image.

1537541684767.png

See if you can find out if this model was pulled from any other SF game okay?

*Then again that Palutena leak was also faked but then became real so...

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice
PushDustIn didn't discredit it, so that's a point in the leak's favor.

Of course, keep in mind that the fake Palutena screenshot was a thing, so it could be fake.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Alright guys I have some "leaks from 4chan". But it does come with evidence. Let's use our detective abilities to see if we can debunk this image.

View attachment 165880

COuld be real, and honestly not surprised with ken, but where did the leaker get this? Also whats that sprite thing next to him?

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey

View attachment 165880

This may be a fake, though I would want a cross-reference to compare Ryu's lighting on here before I go all in on that accusation.
Though why have the screen so zoomed in and have the picture taken with so much distortion?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Mappy from PAC-Man’s Up Taunt.
Gotcha, and how that stage works, i makes sense the height as Pac Man would be slightly lower right?

This may be a fake, though I would want a cross-reference to compare Ryu's lighting on here before I go all in on that accusation.
Though why have the screen so zoomed in and have the picture taken with so much distortion?
Thats the staple of all quick camera phone pictures of games on TV screens. The quality is never that great.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 165880

The fact that the image is not hyper blurry or at a ridiculous zoomed in, cropped, and diagonel angle is a huge point in its favor.

GoodShepperd

Smash Apprentice
Did this Ken picture come with any other info? looks pretty legit to me, and anyway there's a lot of buzz pointing to Ken anyway so I think it's pretty safe to assume he's in

NukeA6

Smash Master

View attachment 165880

70% real. If this is fake, this is a really good one. Here's the pic more cleared up:

Something about it looks off but it might be because we're looking at an Assist Trophy. How big are those characters again?

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
70% real. If this is fake, this is a really good one. Here's the pic more cleared up:

Something about it looks off but it might be because we're looking at an Assist Trophy. How big are those characters again?
Most characters that come from Assist Trophies are usually at the smaller end of the size scale, though they could be about as big as Mario.
Oh! Wait a second! I know what to cross reference now! He's right next to Judd's little seat! We should try to compare his height relative to the Judd seat.

here's a good image, though it's a bit blurry since it's a YouTube thumbnail.

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
PLEASE PLEASE I JUST WANT THE PRIMA LEAK TO BE FAKE PLEASE:(
Well, i dont know if it "debunks" it. But inkling was discovered to be missing in it. It might have been a typo when the leaker was typing up the info from the magazine. It would be a huge oversight if it was missing from the guide itself.

Its not a debunking persay but its something.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
At this point, if we really want any peace in here, I suggest we stop talking about leaks and stuff.
Especially Forgive's leaks.

So yeah, let's stay positive and supportive. : 3

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Most characters that come from Assist Trophies are usually at the smaller end of the size scale, though they could be about as big as Mario.
Oh! Wait a second! I know what to cross reference now! He's right next to Judd's little seat! We should try to compare his height relative to the Judd seat.

Ken is standing near the purple crate, one floor above the main ground floor at the very bottom. Next to him most likely Pacman taunting. Ken is also taunting.

Keep in mind that there are night and day stages for this particular map (shown in the Smash Direct) so either there two seperate, or it goes day to night.

How odd. This seems real!

EDIT: How tf did I double post??

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
PLEASE PLEASE I JUST WANT THE PRIMA LEAK TO BE FAKE PLEASE:(
The prima leak is fake as ****. No inklings, no star man AT, says wii saftey guy is a AT, and Vault Boy is Playable. All of those should tell you right away that its fake as well. The only reason people think its real is because the next day news went up about it being preorderable, and that could be easily explained by a guy working at gamestop sees in the system that the prima guide showed up as listed, so quickly went online and posted a bunch of made up stuff, and fast too hence why Inklings are missing, as is star man AT. he was rushing to get it out before the offical news release.

Yeah, so Ken would be slightly higher then Pac Man, which would explain the height different of him and Pac Mans Taunt. thats a lot of details to put into a fake.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
I have absolutely nothing against you since I don't even know you on a personal level. As I stated before, I really like sharing this thread with you and the others and wish you the very best. But just know that you don't have to be dying for people to like you. We DO like you either way. Just come as you are and be your true self, no gimmick.
Peace
I think he was joking indigo...

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
That Prima leak is fake. Why anyone put any stock in it is beyond me. It's a dime a dozen fake text leak that has no credibility.

As for the Ken leak, something about his face just seems so off to me. And why is it that every single image leaker is incapable of taking a clear picture? Modern phones, even camera phones, can take pretty clear images. Why are all of these character image leaks always so damn blurry?

zferolie

Smash Hero
That Prima leak is fake. Why anyone put any stock in it is beyond me. It's a dime a dozen fake text leak that has no credibility.

As for the Ken leak, something about his face just seems so off to me. And why is it that every single image leaker is incapable of taking a clear picture? Modern phones, even camera phones, can take pretty clear images. Why are all of these character image leaks always so damn blurry?
From what I here ken's face always looks off in every game, so this keeps that trend lol

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
At this point, if we really want any peace in here, I suggest we stop talking about leaks and stuff.
Especially Forgive's leaks.

So yeah, let's stay positive and supportive. : 3
Forgive's leaks are the only credible leaks we have. He can't leak everything about the game thankfully.

This "leaker" doesn't seem to understand porportions at all. If you are going to try a picture leak at least take ONE art class for crying out loud.

All this talk about leaks has reminded me about that smash4 palutena leak that fooled a lot of people. I debunked it but it was so convincing people didn't believe me. It was much later when she was revealed that the leaker admitted it was fake, but people didn't believe him because she was in the game!

Crazy how people can believe these things.

NukeA6

Smash Master

I know he's standing on a slope but he seems smaller when compared to Mappy which is why I immediately thought Assist Trophy. One could say that assists don't taunt but there's a first for everything plus he might do that before his AT time is up. Or he could be playable and somehow look smaller. Like someone said already, Ken always looks off.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Playing Devil's advocate, Ken has always looked pretty bad in 3D

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
You guys don't want peace, huh? ._.
What do you mean? Just all the talks about fake leaks?
Like I usually say, leaks aren't inherently bad, and they can provide some fun when we don't know about what's gonna happen. It's when we're so insistent on having them true is when they become a problem. Like for instance, the Ken picture, it's quite fun to try to find potential faults in the image, much more fun than normal text leaks that are just... well, text.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I just want to give you guys supporting shantae the best of luck. Isaac is my most wanted character in the game besides geno, but I can really see the potential of her making it in with all the support you guys are giving her. So until the game launches, Lets all hope for the best! :)

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Who's "Forgive" in all of this?
Ok, I'll give you a small task.
Find a good translator, type in "Forgive" and translate it into german.
See what results you get.

What do you mean? Just all the talks about fake leaks?
Like I usually say, leaks aren't inherently bad, and they can provide some fun when we don't know about what's gonna happen. It's when we're so insistent on having them true is when they become a problem. Like for instance, the Ken picture, it's quite fun to try to find potential faults in the image, much more fun than normal text leaks that are just... well, text.
I mean all leak discussions eventually derailed into negativity before.
So I'd rather not have it happen again.

We're supposed to be supportive after all, not negative.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
DIscussing is good. That's what Forums are for. And leaks can be talked about for sure. We just have to remember that we're Shantae supporters, and don't need to buy into pessimism. The truth is what it is, and we don't really know it, so it's best to stay open until we get actual confirmation. (and yes I do like Veodok's list)

As for Dylly. I think it's unfortunate if he woke up and checked the thread to get tangled in his insecurities again. I do wish for him to see that what a few people say or feel doesn't diminish all the good and support that's been here, and more, and it's true this place should not define anyone's life, though this is an extreme time and case, and I wouldn't expect anyone under those circumstances to be able to do everything in a good way, at all. What I'd want most for him is to remember the good and find some ease through this. But not everything is perfetc. And I'm proud of people's support. And I'm proud of dylly for donig his best through this time.
I haven't gotten a response from him since coming on today.

ttyl.

Last edited:

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
While this image is very interesting, there has yet to be any evidence against our half genie hero. To rebound this thread, let me reiterate the things that point in favor to Shantae
-Support, Followed By Silence: When the smash ballot launched, there was a huge out poor for Shantae not just by fans, but by Wayforward as well. They went as far as to design a set of 8 costumes that she would potentially have as explain in an interview what they feel like her moveset would be. Along side showing their support, fans shared hundereds of pieces of art sharing their excitement with Shantae appearing in smash. WF liked, shared, and retweeted all of this art. Time goes by and we learn that this game's roster is based on the ballot. Excited, fans begin to re support their fighters. However, WF seems to be silent on the matter. The do not acknowledge fans asking about her possible placement in smash and they rarely like art that has Shantae in something smash related. This is a possible conclusion of a ....

-Possible NDA: A nondisclosure agreement would hinder WF to talk about her potential placement in smash. If there was no such agreement, why would they not deconfirm her right away? Why would they lead their fans on only for all of them to get disappointed? Sure, this does lead to a lot of free publicity and WF and definitely use that, but WF is not a scummy company. They love being open about the things they are doing and love their fans more than the games they make. To me, it makes sense that there is some NDA and it is VERY effective as she is not talked about as much as other potential fighters.

-Possible NCC: Shantae has had very few guest appearances, but the ones she has been in all have something in common, that being the games are not platform fighters. Blade Strangers have been open about how they would love to have her in the game. While it is still possible that this is her fate, I do believe that WF has opted out of several games to help increase her chances of getting in smash.

-Jammies Mode: This to me is a huge selling point as well as proof as their not being a NDA. I'm not sure how much a company is able to disclose to the public while an NDA is in place, but the hints in Jammies mode both gets me worried and excited. On one hand, their may not be an NDA and they reference smash as a little joke. This seems a little unlikely because WF is silent and ignores smash stuff. Why lead on fans to just be disappointed? On the other hand, disclosing these "subtle" hints may not be a violation of an NDA and their choice on how to reveal Jammies mode was calculated and deliberate. I'm skeptical but I'm siding with this theory.

-Popularity: I'm going to be fair to both Shovel Knight and Shantae, They are both in fact, Mr. and Mrs. Indie. I do not believe any indie character has been able to reach the popularity of these two (No, MC Steve does not count). While Shovel knight is popular here in America, Shantae has a much larger audience in Japan. This is due to her cute, expressive, and appealing nature. Cute things = popularity. Don't believe me, Jak and Daxter was a MASSIVE hit in Japan. Jak II changed his appearance to an edge lord, and thus the game flopped HARD. In addition, western releases of Kirby games have him look edgier on the box art then on Japanese box art. Shantae is more expressive than SK which is a huge win over him as far as inclusion. While I love SK's game, he is a faceless protagonist. This is not a bad thing, but it's not what Japan likes.

These to me are the major points to her inclusion. I am firm believer that she will be a fighter. So lets all agree that our girl WILL be in SMASH!

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
While this image is very interesting, there has yet to be any evidence against our half genie hero. To rebound this thread, let me reiterate the things that point in favor to Shantae
-Support, Followed By Silence: When the smash ballot launched, there was a huge out poor for Shantae not just by fans, but by Wayforward as well. They went as far as to design a set of 8 costumes that she would potentially have as explain in an interview what they feel like her moveset would be. Along side showing their support, fans shared hundereds of pieces of art sharing their excitement with Shantae appearing in smash. WF liked, shared, and retweeted all of this art. Time goes by and we learn that this game's roster is based on the ballot. Excited, fans begin to re support their fighters. However, WF seems to be silent on the matter. The do not acknowledge fans asking about her possible placement in smash and they rarely like art that has Shantae in something smash related. This is a possible conclusion of a ....

-Possible NDA: A nondisclosure agreement would hinder WF to talk about her potential placement in smash. If there was no such agreement, why would they not deconfirm her right away? Why would they lead their fans on only for all of them to get disappointed? Sure, this does lead to a lot of free publicity and WF and definitely use that, but WF is not a scummy company. They love being open about the things they are doing and love their fans more than the games they make. To me, it makes sense that there is some NDA and it is VERY effective as she is not talked about as much as other potential fighters.

-Possible NCC: Shantae has had very few guest appearances, but the ones she has been in all have something in common, that being the games are not platform fighters. Blade Strangers have been open about how they would love to have her in the game. While it is still possible that this is her fate, I do believe that WF has opted out of several games to help increase her chances of getting in smash.

-Jammies Mode: This to me is a huge selling point as well as proof as their not being a NDA. I'm not sure how much a company is able to disclose to the public while an NDA is in place, but the hints in Jammies mode both gets me worried and excited. On one hand, their may not be an NDA and they reference smash as a little joke. This seems a little unlikely because WF is silent and ignores smash stuff. Why lead on fans to just be disappointed? On the other hand, disclosing these "subtle" hints may not be a violation of an NDA and choice on how to reveal Jammies mode was calculated and deliberate. I'm skeptical but I'm siding with this theory.

-Popularity: I'm going to be fair to both Shovel Knight and Shantae, They are both in fact, Mr. and Mrs. Indie. I do not believe any indie character has been able to reach the popularity of these two (No, MC Steve does not count). While Shovel knight is popular here in America, Shantae has a much larger audience in Japan. This is due to her cute, expressive, and appealing nature. Cute things = popularity. Don't believe me, Jak and Daxter was a MASSIVE hit in Japan. Jak II changed his appearance to an edge lord, and thus the game flopped HARD. In addition, western releases of Kirby games have him look edgier on the box art then on Japanese box art. Shantae is more expressive than SK which is a huge win over him as far as inclusion. While I love SK game, he is a faceless protagonist. This is not a bad thing, but it's not what Japan likes.

These to me are the major points to her inclusion. I am firm believer that she will be a fighter. So lets all agree that our WILL be in SMASH!
Here here, my main man!

Swade

Smash Apprentice
I just want to give you guys supporting shantae the best of luck. Isaac is my most wanted character in the game besides geno, but I can really see the potential of her making it in with all the support you guys are giving her. So until the game launches, Lets all hope for the best! :)
Thank you kindly buddy, hope it goes smooth sailing for Isaac from my end.

NukeA6

Smash Master
You guys don't want peace, huh? ._.
Peace? Here? LOL Not with the idea of some silence and some DLC mode messages meaning Shantae has a 100% chance of being playable which is now being threatened by Smash's biggest hoaxer.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord

Okay, as a whole, this might actually be a legit leak. Though I'm not much into computers, so I don't know if it's true, but this feels far more real now that we got this image here. The only thing to take away from this is that it doesn't explicitly conform or deny any "leakers" who had Ken in there, because everyone and their grandma predicted Ken to be in Ultimate after Richter's reveal.
However, there is one thing highly concerning, and it's that Ken's logo and image isn't actually present, which could be some points against the character, but the image at least has that tilt that the "Skull Kid Waddle Dee leak" didn't have.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Two things that stink about that image:
1. Why does Ken have no avatar?
2. What's with these white lines around Ken?

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman

Okay, as a whole, this might actually be a legit leak. Though I'm not much into computers, so I don't know if it's true, but this feels far more real now that we got this image here. The only thing to take away from this is that it doesn't explicitly conform or deny any "leakers" who had Ken in there, because everyone and their grandma predicted Ken to be in Ultimate after Richter's reveal.
The fact that Ken is next to characters that we know for sure is in ultimate makes this one way more believable than the blurry pics next to extremely wanted characters like Skull Kid or Geno.

Two things that stink about that image:
1. Why does Ken have no avatar?
2. What's with these white lines around Ken?
Good catch. I'm not 100% on this yet, though if it's fake than it's a damn good one for sure, on par with the fake Pokefloats 2 pic.

Top Bottom