• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yes! All the theorizing and fears here are getting too silly. We're nearing "Ridley is in the clouds" territory.

I think I thought of a simple way to explain something. A lot of us enjoy speculating (including theorizing),
It entirely depends how much weight you put in something.

The tree-bayo-diddy tweet is exciting in some ways, but if you think it points to shantae for sure then you're putting your hopes in something that doesn't have much weight. If you find a flaw in it and are scared because if might mean to you that shantae isn't in, you've reaped the rewards of putting too much weight into a fun little idea/theory that was only 'part' of it all.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Hmm, what happens to this thread if Shantae makes it in? Because I would love to mave my final comments on here to be my comically large overreactions, using Etika voice clips, obviously.
I'm saying this because I'm rewatching Etika's reaction and I'm amazed how much his overall quality and care he grew to making his video pretty enough to showcase nowadays. Now, he's not as good as he was, but at the same time, giving a presentation with some good audio and visuals is always a prime thing to do.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
You know another character that is being hated on by the Smash Community is Incineroar. But unlike the other characters being hated on, Incineroar is actually designed to be hated on so if Nintendo sees all the negative reactions towards said Pokémon it probably means he is the best to represent Gen 7 in Ultimate.

Back to Shantae: It would be great if both Shantae and Incineroar are revealed in a Direct so that they have an Aladdin type of feel. Do you guys get it?

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
:facepalm:

This is why I didn't consider the NCC theory "evidence"; the idea was ridiculous to begin with. "Hey guys, Ryu is in Street Fighter. Deconfirmed for Smash.~ Oh, but wait..."

This freak-out is completely ridiculous: 1) the NCC theory isn't evidence, it's pure speculation, 2) even on its own basis, it still hasn't been broken (Ryu is in Street Fighter AND Marvel vs Capcom, why? Either A) there is no NCC or B) they're not Smash-like fighting games; Blade Strangers is NOT a Smash-like fighting game), 3) Shantae wasn't even mentioned in the damn tweet.

These are the stronger pieces of evidence we have:

- WayForward's silence (completely out-of-character; they're almost assuredly under an NDA)
- Jammies Mode (blatant parallels to Smash; she's most likely NOT just a regular trophy)
- Performance on the ballot (we have every reason to believe that she was, at minimum, in the Top 100)

And we can justify her inclusion based on her merit:

- Literally ticks every single box of Sakurai's design philosophy to a tee
- Fits the mold of a Nintendo business strategy that they're actively performing RIGHT NOW (promoting indies)
- Effortless legal negotiations and, this one is looser, she's actually relevant (unlike at least half of the top contenders at this moment)

---

And even if she IS an AT, that's still flipping great!

Millions of people will learn who she is. Almost assuredly people will discover her in the indie section, buy her games and grow her franchise with more fans and more money. Which means that her games in the future are going to get bigger and better!

What's the problem?

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I don't think I'll be posting here too much, because I have nothing important to add to the ongoing conversation, and nobody seems to care what I say too much anyway. I'll be in and out though.

I'm saying this because I'm rewatching Etika's reaction and I'm amazed how much his overall quality and care he grew to making his video pretty enough to showcase nowadays. Now, he's not as good as he was, but at the same time, giving a presentation with some good audio and visuals is always a prime thing to do.
I love how as soon as you mentioned Etika, he started streaming.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Take this as you will but to Shantae supporters and fans that want her thought this would be interesting to look at.

Also to contribute to this thread. My opinion on Shantae being in Ultimate? Not that I support her but I wouldn't mind her. All in all she'd be an decent inclusion and interesting to see how she plays. If she does make the cut I'll be happy for her supporters and fans. :)

Last edited:

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
I guess it's about being able to know the difference between the various kinds of thoughts/connections and claims. You're kind of an all or nothing person? from what I can tell anyway, so I get why it might be a bit harder to see in that case, but to me it's relatively clear. I could go into more detail if you want, but it'd be longer to explain.
yes please. I like learning and looking at other perspectives.
I think my struggle is seeing everything that happens relating back to Shantae. I think sometimes a picture is a picture. I love speculating (in a conspiracy theorist way) and even going out on a limb (Ha) in that picture and saying that peach represents risky and megaman is AmmoBaron. Love that ****! Give me more. What irks me is when it's taken for indisputable proof and people get down about it when it falls through.
I think I am an all or nothing, I guess. She's either in or she's not. Nothing that happens at this moment will change that. This part of it (the speculatory part) is the best and the climax will be the reveal.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
You know another character that is being hated on by the Smash Community is Incineroar. But unlike the other characters being hated on, Incineroar is actually designed to be hated on so if Nintendo sees all the negative reactions towards said Pokémon it probably means he is the best to represent Gen 7 in Ultimate.

Back to Shantae: It would be great if both Shantae and Incineroar are revealed in a Direct so that they have an Aladdin type of feel. Do you guys get it?
Man **** that, gimme Pheromosa, Primarina, or Tsareena any day over "Hur dur heel wrestler cat." so disappointing, I was gonna go and name it Ryuko when I saw Litten for female final evo and then it evolved into that stupid thing.

MagusOfIllusions

Smash Cadet
Hey guys I made a fun little fanart to ease some of the tension and anxiety we are facing as we wait for this upcoming direct.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

New billy video, also mentions shantae
I saw him mention on Twitter that 50 Cent was the unofficial mascot of the Isaac Support Thread, hence him being in the thumbnail.
Can we have Robin Williams as our unofficial mascot since he played the Genie from Aladdin?

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

This is why I didn't consider the NCC theory "evidence"; the idea was ridiculous to begin with. "Hey guys, Ryu is in Street Fighter. Deconfirmed for Smash.~ Oh, but wait..."
That's not a good comparison though, since Street Fighter is a completely different game from Smash Bros.

The argument for "Rayman deconfirmed" (example) holds more water, since Brawlhalla is a Smash clone.
Still not 100% deconfirmed, but very likely.

And even if she IS an AT, that's still flipping great!

Millions of people will learn who she is. Almost assuredly people will discover her in the indie section, buy her games and grow her franchise with more fans and more money. Which means that her games in the future are going to get bigger and better!

What's the problem?
Of course, being AT would still benefit her in a lot of ways.
Though for me personally, it'd be a bummer if I can't play as her.
Not the end of the world, but a little shame.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
I saw him mention on Twitter that 50 Cent was the unofficial mascot of the Isaac Support Thread, hence him being in the thumbnail.
Can we have Robin Williams as our unofficial mascot since he played the Genie from Aladdin?
Eh, I would rather not. Might get a bit messy over with the Williams Estate. Though if you want him to be our unofficial mascot, I'm not stopping you.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Why yes, Jasmine and her pet tiger. I understand that reference, good job.

That said, between Incineroar and Lucario, the Smash community doesn't exactly do a good job of hating Pokémon inclusions for the right reasons and just end up giving good publicity for `em. :p

Teeb147

Smash Legend
yes please. I like learning and looking at other perspectives.
I think my struggle is seeing everything that happens relating back to Shantae. I think sometimes a picture is a picture. I love speculating (in a conspiracy theorist way) and even going out on a limb (Ha) in that picture and saying that peach represents risky and megaman is AmmoBaron. Love that ****! Give me more. What irks me is when it's taken for indisputable proof and people get down about it when it falls through.
I think I am an all or nothing, I guess. She's either in or she's not. Nothing that happens at this moment will change that. This part of it (the speculatory part) is the best and the climax will be the reveal.
Ok.
I do think that different pieces carry different weight. The NDA has Much more good evidence for it than the NCC, but that doesn't mean the ncc theory is completely baseless. It makes more sense than chair colors by a lot :p
Unfortunately I'm about to leave, but I can try to go for it deeper later, even if it's just in a few hours.

Enjoy the climax of these kinds of moments in smash history as much as you can :)
We'll probably pass 200 pages before tomorow's direct :D

later.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Please actually read my post before criticizing my points. Thank you.
Whoa, easy.
No need to get aggressive. o_O

I just wanted to point out the mistake in this argument, regardless of who it was who made it.
And to adress this quote of yours...

(Ryu is in Street Fighter AND Marvel vs Capcom, why? Either A) there is no NCC or B) they're not Smash-like fighting games; Blade Strangers is NOT a Smash-like fighting game),
In cases like Ryu, it's definitely B.
Street Fighter and Smash Bros are completely different games, they don't really compete with each other, since they are both in their own worlds...
Hope that wording makes sense.

And yes, that means Shantae should be completely safe to be in Blade Strangers, since it's not a Platformer-Fighter like Smash.
She could still be in Blade Strangers AND Smash Bros... unless Nintendo is that stingy.
(Which wouldn't surprise me honestly...)

"Playstation All Stars Battle Royale" was brought up as an example where an NCC was definitely in effect.
Since that game is a Smash Clone and Snake was already in the real deal, they couldn't use him again for that game.
Instead we have Raiden. (I like Raiden even in MGS2 btw)

But yeah, as for the rest of what you said, which I didn't quote: I had nothing to add and was in complete agreement with it.
Hope that clears up things between us.

Again, no reason to get mad.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Ryu is in Street Fighter AND Marvel vs Capcom, why?
Ryu being in street fighter is meaningless because that's his home game and there is absolutely zero chance that it would violate literally any terms at all with anyone for him to show up in his home game.

Additionally, MvC and SF are both owned by Capcom. Gonna NCC a company from publishing characters from games they own into games that they own? It's a bold strategy, Cotton, let's see if it pays off for em

I didn't read the rest of your post, because I have no weight in this, but I saw this point and felt the need to poke at it because it is straight up nonsensical

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't think I'll be posting here too much, because I have nothing important to add to the ongoing conversation, and nobody seems to care what I say too much anyway. I'll be in and out though.

I love how as soon as you mentioned Etika, he started streaming.
I love to see your posts, even when it's not following 'main topics' or whatever (dare I even say especially when thats the case?:p) and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Please don't be so hard on yourself. This is a good time to be here :)

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Man **** that, gimme Pheromosa, Primarina, or Tsareena any day over "Hur dur heel wrestler cat." so disappointing, I was gonna go and name it Ryuko when I saw Litten for female final evo and then it evolved into that stupid thing.
Thanks for proving my point lol.

EDIT: Also the whole point of an NCC is to prevent things from being used in similar other games(Hence why I used the Snake and PlayStation All Stars as an example because that IS what NCC does).

Last edited:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Whoa, easy.
No need to get aggressive. o_O

I just wanted to point out the mistake in this argument, regardless of who it was who made it.
And to adress this quote of yours...
The point was already addressed in the same post. It irked me because it seems like there are quite a few people in this thread that are jumping at every opportunity to be negative. I just don't appreciate having to re-explain a point that I've already refuted.

I apologize if you took offense to my tone.

Sudz said:
Ryu being in street fighter is meaningless because that's his home game and there is absolutely zero chance that it would violate literally any terms at all with anyone for him to show up in his home game.

Additionally, MvC and SF are both owned by Capcom. Gonna NCC a company from publishing characters from games they own into games that they own? It's a bold strategy, Cotton, let's see if it pays off for em

I didn't read the rest of your post, because I have no weight in this, but I saw this point and felt the need to poke at it because it is straight up nonsensical
Fair enough.~

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Let me just make it simple.

That Blade Strangers tweet changes absolutely nothing. It didn't even mention Shantae nor didn't even hint that she was in the game.

Her chances are exactly the same today as they were yesterday.

Let's move on.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
Honestly, I'm just ready for her to get revealed tomorrow so people can stop freaking out over everything "deconfirming" her.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I was expecting the antithesis to Houndoom, not what we got. I would much prefer Lycanroc to represent gen 7.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
All of this about Diddy, Bayo, and Exeggutor being a hint for Shantae is more of a reach than Ridley in the clouds. Those two were picked because they're some of the few characters that can cling to walls.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I was expecting the antithesis to Houndoom, not what we got. I would much prefer Lycanroc to represent gen 7.
Heels are never loved. They are either not well liked to outright hated lol.

All of this about Diddy, Bayo, and Exeggutor being a hint for Shantae is more of a reach than Ridley in the clouds. Those two were picked because they're some of the few characters that can cling to walls.
You never know. We did get a hint of Pac-Man from a cloud formation in Greninja's reveal trailer back in Smash 4.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
The point was already addressed in the same post. It irked me because it seems like there are quite a few people in this thread that are jumping at every opportunity to be negative. I just don't appreciate having to re-explain a point that I've already refuted.

I apologize if you took offense to my tone.
How was I being negative? o_O
I don't see any negativity in a polite correction.
This whole thing confuses me... X_X

But yeah, when it comes to Tweets and stuff, I agree that people are overreacting.
I see no problem with anything, that people seem to lose hope over...

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Wow, over six pages in under 24 hours, it’s getting difficult to keep up. But from what I’ve seen, you guys were discussing missing blog posts, and here’s what I think: Of course there’s enough room in those gaps for at least two newcomers, or an entirely new series in general, which gives Shantae a good chance of being the one to fill in the gap.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
How was I being negative? o_O
I don't see any negativity in a polite correction.
This whole thing confuses me... X_X
Because I made the exact same point in the same post. But, as Sudz Sudz pointed out, the comparison doesn't work for other reasons. Although revisiting your post, in your follow-up, it appears you may have made the same point as Sudz. It just wasn't as clear to me until it was expounded on.

The other two points still stand: 1) a theoretical NCC is entirely speculative, what it would entail, whether or not it would preclude her from all fighting games in general or just Smash-like games and 2) Shantae wasn't even mentioned.

Given the current milieu present in the thread, I would have thought it fair to position you on the opposite side of the argument; promulgating the NCC theory and folding if it's threatened. I have to assume I was wrong in that assessment, so again, I apologize.

But yeah, when it comes to Tweets and stuff, I agree that people are overreacting.
I see no problem with anything, that people seem to lose hope over...
Obviously, I agree.~

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Hmm, actually, if Shantae was in Smash, how would they do her memory post? Because I would find it unlikely they'd use the GBC Shantae cover due to (if my memory serves me correctly) the lack of the game cartridge in Japan. So would they just skip it or show off the Japanese physical cover of Pirate's Curse? Or maybe even ask Matt for a spare box to use?

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Hmm, actually, if Shantae was in Smash, how would they do her memory post? Because I would find it unlikely they'd use the GBC Shantae cover due to (if my memory serves me correctly) the lack of the game cartridge in Japan. So would they just skip it or show off the Japanese physical cover of Pirate's Curse? Or maybe even ask Matt for a spare box to use?
If they want to try and justify her, they might show off her GBC game just so Japanese people get the sense that she's been around for a lot longer than you might think.

Or, if they want to promote Half Genie Hero and pick up some quick cash, they might push that instead (like how WarioWare Gold was the "memory" for Wario). Could also grow her Japanese fanbase.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Given the current milieu present in the thread, I would have thought it fair to position you on the opposite side of the argument; promulgating the NCC theory and folding if it's threatened. I have to assume I was wrong in that assessment, so again, I apologize.

~
Well that's two new words I have never seen before in one sentence. Thanks for the new diction lol.

zferolie

Smash Hero
They could just show the North American cover. I know that seems odd but it would work

Top Bottom