• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well guys: they finally announced the new date for the Direct, which ultimately turned out to be a week delay. Still, despite me not necessarily being too thrilled about the new date because it falls on the one day I have a night class right after the direct, I should still be able to watch it live and even upload my reaction if there's enough time.

Let's hope for the best tomorrow, fellow Shantae supporters!
The best part of nintendo directs I feel are watching the reaction videos :D

I noticed that one of the blog posts intended for the post-reveal of the newcomer was the Toon Link FotD entry. Maybe he’s involved in the reveal trailer? And he would be very fitting for a potential Shantae trailer.
That is a good point. I always felt toon link would be a perfect character in a shantae trailer due to his close pirate routes and a very tropical setting

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
I noticed that one of the blog posts intended for the post-reveal of the newcomer was the Toon Link FotD entry. Maybe he’s involved in the reveal trailer? And he would be very fitting for a potential Shantae trailer.
So what we're saying is Toon Link is the next character to be killed in a trailer?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I wonder... is the phrase "ret-2-go" meant to be a parody of Mario's "Let's-a-go"? Maybe if we heard them in close proximity...

zferolie

Smash Hero
So given this tweet.

Plus we know that Ice climbers stage was 141, coming before Bowser. Here are my guesses on how the past week should have played out.

134: Shantae reveal trailer
135: Shantae Spotlight
136: Shantae Memory
137: Shantae Music
140: Dixie Kong Spotlight
143: Isabelle Spotlight
144: Isabelle Memory
145: Rotty Tops Assist trophy
147(the current ice climbers stage one): Shantae Stage.

Thats what obviously would have happened :D

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
I wonder... is the phrase "ret-2-go" meant to be a parody of Mario's "Let's-a-go"? Maybe if we heard them in close proximity...
Mr. Bozon covered this in one of his interviews. A good friend of him in the animation clean up team for The Iron Giant used to say it to break for lunch. It kind of spread over to the Shantae team.
Here is that interview
I love his reasoning for Shantae to have it though.
But how it came to be I'll never know. One day we'll hunt down this man that started this... then we'll have our real answers.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Well for me, Canary Mary is the reason I'll never be able to 100% Banjo Tooie. It's just too hard! But I do suck at video games, so it's probably just my lack of skill. If you were able to beat Canary Mary, you can conquer any obstacle life throws at you. You'll beat the Rottytops race without giving it a second thought, I assume.

i don't suck at video games that much. i have beaten battletoads.

You can button mash so fast you can beat Canary Mary without intentionally slowing down.

My only problem with Rottytops race is the screen resolution/size being so small you get like half a second to respond to those damn blocks you have to jump over.

grizby2

Smash Lord
arrrg, I wont be able to watch it live. but still! i'll have to keep myselfi the dark for tomorrow until im off work. welp, fingers crossed!

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I wouldn't really call it a fake out. But it did feel a bit out of place for a game like Enter the Breach.
Not to **** on Enter the Breach but does anyone know if its a game "worth" the one more thing kind of reveal? I've never heard of it.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Mr. Bozon covered this in one of his interviews. A good friend of him in the animation clean up team for The Iron Giant used to say it to break for lunch. It kind of spread over to the Shantae team.
Here is that interview
I love his reasoning for Shantae to have it though.
But how it came to be I'll never know. One day we'll hunt down this man that started this... then we'll have our real answers.
I think the most interesting part of this is that Twitch was the original Sky in the development phase. What a difference that would've been hahaha.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Shantae being under a NCC was BY far the Strongest evidence supporting her inclusion in smash.

So of course people are freaking out over Nicalis tweet. Shantae is higly requested for blade strangers and Nicalis knows that. Its odd that they would tease fans like that.

This tweet is just as much an indicator of her not being in smash as jammies mode was an indicator of her being smash.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Shantae being under a NCC was BY far the Strongest evidence supporting her inclusion in smash.

So of course people are freaking out over Nicalis tweet. Shantae is higly requested for blade strangers and Nicalis knows that. Its odd that they would tease fans like that.

This tweet is just as much an indicator of her not being in smash as jammies mode was an indicator of her being smash.
But they still never said shantae is actually in blade strangers. Until they say that I would not get my hopes down.

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
Shantae is a legacy fan request like Isaac and Geno. I'd love to see her make the base roster, and if not base, DLC. Good luck my dudes

zferolie

Smash Hero
No but they Strongly hinted at it. If im wrong PLEASE PROVE me otherwise.
All they said was someone was missing, but who could it be. How is that strongly hinting at shantae. COuld be hinting at any other indie character requested. Like that Guakamelee guy

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
All they said was someone was missing, but who could it be. How is that strongly hinting at shantae. COuld be hinting at any other indie character requested. Like that Guakamelee guy
But Shantae has by far been the most requested character for that game. And nicalis knows that. Thats why i think its shantae.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
No they hinted at A new character.
It was clearly implying a new female character given the tweet showed four female characters.

Last edited:

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
I wouldn't read too much into that Nicalis tweet. They're just asking who they could add not specifically mentioning or reference or talking about Shantae.

That said the NCC argument didn't have much to stand on anyways. I don't think Nintendo would really care for one and frankly it's silly to use the exclusion of a character from one to be proof for the inclusion in another game. Basically the best evidence is Wayforwards silence, Shantae's popularity in the ballot, and the fact that she has ties to Nintendo.

zferolie

Smash Hero
But Shantae has by far been the most requested character for that game. And nicalis knows that. Thats why i think its shantae.
I think if they said something like, a famous face is missing or a popular request is coming.

This could just be a way to get a general hype for any DLC. Not saying its not shantae, but don't think its only shantae.

Oh guys, The Shantae and Rottytops figures are back in stock from that company

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Then why haven't they answered the questions regarding why Shantae did not show alongside Shovel Knight in that game?

AngrySun88

Smash Ace

That tweet changes nothing. Just because they want Shantae doesn't mean they're getting her. WayForward could have said no for all we know.

This has zero impact on her chances of being in Smash as a fighter.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Half Genie Hero update: The game starts to show it's true metroid-vania colors after the Carpet Race.

Example of game's charm: catching a cold is treated as a Key item, bringing back all those times we named our Pokemon or rivals something silly/naughty.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Anyone seen this?

There was a problem fetching the tweet

loozer2

Smash Apprentice

Except that's not true at all. Her strongest evidence is her ballot results and the shift in behavior of Wayforward. The NCC thing was completely made up by us to theorize why she might not be in any indie fighters. There is no evidence to suggest that a NCC would even be necessary or that Nintendo would make them sign one. It would literally change nothing except for debunking one fan theory that people used to get their hopes up.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Can we stop it with the negativity? That tweet changes nothing and it didn't even mention Shantae by name.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Wow I woke up so late. I actually had a dream of being on some sort of train and creating virtual stuff in it for a duo character that's like Ashley and Mona, for some weird reason. It made sense in the dream. I think there was Shantae too but I don't remember. Well. :)

You had a reaction like that to it too? That's weird, cuz the tweet says nothing about Shantae whatsoever. Look at it again because I think you're reading way beyond what it is, them wondering which characters they could add to the game next.

I agree. Sometimes positivity can be delusional and negativity can be realism depending on the lips that day then and the ears who hear them. I think we just need a healthy balance and a thread full of people who have only shown leanings to one side at a time is not really the best place to flex that muscle. I'm just saying that it's already been decided on whether or not she'll be in. Only time will tell and everything we do in between is only stressing us out.
Both positivity and negativity can be delusional. It takes a balance, but generally positivity is better and healthier, so it's better to be positive, but of course the balance is what yields the best moderate assessments. Thankfully we have both in this thread :p Maybe a bit more positivity in some ways, which is good.
Whether she's in or not might already be determined, but support itself is important, especially for dlc and the future in general.

That said, I'm starting to lighten up a bit more with the new direct date, and I'm hope to some hype for tomorow. And I'm open to being relaxed too if I can manage it :)

zferolie

Smash Hero
No they hinted at A new character.

It was clearly implying a new female character given the tweet showed four female characters.
Ah. ok, so a female. Makes sense. Lots of female indie characters

Now that makes me even more nervous.
I don't think that auto locks Shantae. There are a lot of female Indie characters. The girls from freedom planet, the bloodstain lady, Indivisible girl (I am blanking on all there names atm i'm sorry!)

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Except that's not true at all. Her strongest evidence is her ballot results and the shift in behavior of Wayforward. The NCC thing was completely made up by us to theorize why she might not be in any indie fighters. There is no evidence to suggest that a NCC would even be necessary or that Nintendo would make them sign one. It would literally change nothing except for debunking one fan theory that people used to get their hopes up.
Except there are many reasons that wayforward could keep quiet but very few on why they wouldnt allow her in indie fighter games but ONLY indie fighting game.

As far as the ballot, we dont know how high she scored in it or how strict sakurai is adhereing to it.

By far the NCC was the strongest evidence.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That tweet changes everything.
No it doesn't. It changes nothing.

It doesn't even mention or hint at Shantae. You are reading way too much into it and are bringing this thread down with your negativity.
Kingof is just worried. We don't need to be harsh. The honest reality is though that it changes nothing, because they already asked for Shantae, and got no response. They're asking who's missing to see what people will say.

Look at the comments and there's all sorts of character requests, not just shantae. Lots.
I'm sorry you feel worried, but there really is no reason to, and she still has a chance for smash regardless. That said It's all good, :)

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
No it doesn't. It changes nothing.

It doesn't even mention or hint at Shantae. You are reading way too much into it and are bringing this thread down with your negativity.
Im only trying to figure out the truth. And the truth can unfortunatly be quite negative.

Top Bottom