• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Because I made the exact same point in the same post. But, as Sudz Sudz pointed out, the comparison doesn't work for other reasons. Although revisiting your post, in your follow-up, it appears you may have made the same point as Sudz. It just wasn't as clear to me until it was expounded on.

The other two points still stand: 1) a theoretical NCC is entirely speculative, what it would entail, whether or not it would preclude her from all fighting games in general or just Smash-like games and 2) Shantae wasn't even mentioned.

Given the current milieu present in the thread, I would have thought it fair to position you on the opposite side of the argument; promulgating the NCC theory and folding if it's threatened. I have to assume I was wrong in that assessment, so again, I apologize.

Obviously, I agree.~
And like I said, for the parts I didn't quote, I was in complete agreement.
I just didn't have anything to add to your post, other than the parts I addressed.

And yes, people overreact.
And even I can agree that an NCC is speculative, yet appears plausible given the circumstances...

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I have a fun question, but it's gonna need an explanation. Due to Smash's nature as this big crossover of the Nintendo universe, I often toy with the idea of several of these characters making there own teams, Avengers style. Heck, it's my head cannon that Meta Knight would totally make an order comprised of knights across the realm, making a team entirely out of sword users. And that idea has only gotten more prevalent to me ever since Squad Strike was announced. So my question is this, what sort of fun team ideas do you guys have, and would Shantae be apart of the team if she were in the game?

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I have a fun question, but it's gonna need an explanation. Due to Smash's nature as this big crossover of the Nintendo universe, I often toy with the idea of several of these characters making there own teams, Avengers style. Heck, it's my head cannon that Meta Knight would totally make an order comprised of knights across the realm, making a team entirely out of sword users. And that idea has only gotten more prevalent to me ever since Squad Strike was announced. So my question is this, what sort of fun team ideas do you guys have, and would Shantae be apart of the team if she were in the game?
Well, there could be a reptile team up consisting of characters like Ridley, King K. Rool and maybe Yoshi?

I could see Shantae teaming up with characters like Robin, Bayonetta and Zelda, because of their prominent use of magic.

I could also see people such as Ness, Young Link and Inkling teaming up with each other, to actually have a chance of beating the menacing, threatening and taller adults. Unlike most of yous, I am not very creative when it comes to coming up with these kinds of ideas, so sorry if these are pretty lazy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I noticed that one of the blog posts intended for the post-reveal of the newcomer was the Toon Link FotD entry. Maybe he’s involved in the reveal trailer? And he would be very fitting for a potential Shantae trailer.
I feel like you may be onto something how about you guys?

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Welp, I have several ideas for Shantae Squads
"Magic Girls" - Shantae, Zelda, Bayonetta
"Long Hair Squad" - Shantae, Palutena, Inkling Girl
"Team Whip" - Shantae, Simon, Richter
"Pirate's Curse Squad" - Shantae, King K Rool, Bowser
"Magic, Muscle and Blade" - Shantae, Ryu, Link
"Paragon's Favourites" - Shantae, Ridley, Inkling Girl, Yoshi, Snake

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hmm, actually, if Shantae was in Smash, how would they do her memory post? Because I would find it unlikely they'd use the GBC Shantae cover due to (if my memory serves me correctly) the lack of the game cartridge in Japan. So would they just skip it or show off the Japanese physical cover of Pirate's Curse? Or maybe even ask Matt for a spare box to use?
I can definitely see Matt be dedicated enough to go that far.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone, I’m from the Isaac thread. I don’t know much about Shantae but she does have a good design and an interesting potential moveset so I just wanted to wish you all good luck for tomorrow. Hopefully one of our fan bases gets their character!

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Hey everyone, I’m from the Isaac thread. I don’t know much about Shantae but she does have a good design and an interesting potential moveset so I just wanted to wish you all good luck for tomorrow. Hopefully one of our fan bases gets their character!
Heh, why not both? True, it'll take a while longer for one of us to come in (or if it's just not our day, both of us), but we'll see you guys soon too!

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
Heh, why not both? True, it'll take a while longer for one of us to come in (or if it's just not our day, both of us), but we'll see you guys soon too!
The final sentence of my comment was speaking more on the direct tomorrow not overall. I think we’ll probably get just one reveal tomorrow. Hopefully both make the final roster!

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I wonder what will happen tomorrow? Will that hidden hint in the Alolan Exeggutor screen relevant? Will the "heel" make a surprise showing? Will the Earth Sword be added? FINE OUT NEXT TIME ON SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For real: Well we shall see what happens. I hope they don't go into too much details with the ones that were shown in other media. More time for Smash is better.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm surprised there haven't been more posts while I was gone. Funny this thread is almost as inconsistent as I am ;P

Here's the first paragraph in wikipedia about optimism: "Optimism is a mental attitude reflecting a belief or hope that the outcome of some specific endeavor, or outcomes in general, will be positive, favorable, and desirable. A common idiom used to illustrate optimism versus pessimism is a glass filled with water to the halfway point: an optimist is said to see the glass as half full, while a pessimist sees the glass as half empty. "

I bring it up because someone can be level headed when thinking about facts either way. The amount of water in the glass is still half of it, even if you look at it being half empty or half full.
Making lots of connections (sometimes imaginary) because you want something to be true isn't optimism, it's wishful thinking.

In my experience, it's good to be optimistic AND down to earth about things. I'm also a dreamer though, so don't think I don't fantasize scenarios. :idea:
I think it's good to look at the positives, but not depend on certain things being true (in order to believe in at least the chances of good stuff that we like happening) :)

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
The final sentence of my comment was speaking more on the direct tomorrow not overall. I think we’ll probably get just one reveal tomorrow. Hopefully both make the final roster!
:p
I know what I meant, and I meant it in the overall course, but it'll be pretty hard to figure out who'll get the big score from this day's perspective, since a lot of stuff we could interpret is just interpretation of one possible reality and not solid fact. But good luck towards you and your merry men!

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I'm surprised there haven't been more posts while I was gone. Funny this thread is almost as inconsistent as I am ;P

Here's the first paragraph in wikipedia about optimism: "Optimism is a mental attitude reflecting a belief or hope that the outcome of some specific endeavor, or outcomes in general, will be positive, favorable, and desirable. A common idiom used to illustrate optimism versus pessimism is a glass filled with water to the halfway point: an optimist is said to see the glass as half full, while a pessimist sees the glass as half empty. "

I bring it up because someone can be level headed when thinking about facts either way. The amount of water in the glass is still half of it, even if you look at it being half empty or half full.
Making lots of connections because you want something to be true isn't optimism, it's wishful thinking.

In my experience, it's good to be optimistic And down to earth about things. I'm also a dreamer though, so don't think I don't fantasize scenarios. :idea:
I think it's good to look at the positives, and not depend on certain things being true in order to believe in at least the chances of good stuff we like happening :)
As much as I try, I'm never able to be optimistic. The first thing my mind turns to is how whatever situation I'm in is going to go south, and how it's never going to work out.

Much respect from the Isaac thread! Good luck everybody!
And good luck to you my friend!

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I'm still predicting at least one original newcomer and one echo (who I'm now convinced will be Isabelle, particularly if there's a segment on Animal Crossing).

My fingers are crossed the original character will be Shantae, but I have no idea who the newcomer will be.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I'm still predicting at least one original newcomer and one echo (who I'm now convinced will be Isabelle, particularly if there's a segment on Animal Crossing).

My fingers are crossed the original character will be Shantae, but I have no idea who the newcomer will be.
Isabelle makes the most sense to me, and yeah if they announce Animal Crossing they have to reveal her

D

Deleted member

It will be her after all what we got

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord

That's all we can really hope for at this point and time. :p Just one newcomer and an echo is enough to be neat.
To be completely honest, I'm gonna dwell on the entire "no Smash Blog update on the Nindies thing" and take it to its logical conclusion, even if that's about as dumb as walking across a busy highway XD

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
A recent official leak directly from Reggie himself says that tomorrow's Direct will feature a "deconfirmation trailer" in which Nintendo will play a montage of characters they don't want in Smash over the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme.

Shantae is allegedly present at the very end, just before the Shrek reveal trailer starts.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
Reposting because I'm hype af and have no problems with disappointment. We're getting our girl tomorrow!

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Reposting because I'm hype af and have no problems with disappointment. We're getting our girl tomorrow!

ShantaeFast.gif

Hype Intensifies

D

Deleted member

Yes that’s the Pokémon I want

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I do think Isabelle would make sense for an echo, especially with new animal crossing info.

As much as I try, I'm never able to be optimistic. The first thing my mind turns to is how whatever situation I'm in is going to go south, and how it's never going to work out.

And good luck to you my friend!
Yup, I get that. It's actually not really uncommon. It's a bit like stress (which is common too), it can serve in certain situations but it's meant to be temporary, because it's not healthy on the body to keep strained (I should know), just like it's not healthy on the mind and emotions to always look at the worst. You can't help a lot of it, because it's a condition, kind of like being conditioned by a fight or flight response. Looking at the worst makes it easier to avoid those parts. But only looking at the worst lowers quality of life by a lot. That's why it's good to be aware of it, and little by little it can become easier to let it through and build up positivity on the side. There's good truth to life, so it makes sense to be open to it, else it seems like things are bleak.

Hope that didn't sound too psychological, I kind of see it as basic stuff that's important for anyone, it's unfortunate they don't teach it in schools, but tis what it is.

I actually have more hope for the possibility of shantae tomorow now. Still think it could be anyone, but that's also exciting, to see what will come :)
I think it's easier to be excited when youre a fan of smash in general, too. XD

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
You know something I just noticed this. How long ago did we hit 100 pages of posts? We are nearing 200 at this very moment.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You know something I just noticed this. How long ago did we hit 100 pages of posts? We are nearing 200 at this very moment.
" Sep 3, 2018 "
-So it's only been a little over a week :O

A recent official leak directly from Reggie himself says that tomorrow's Direct will feature a "deconfirmation trailer" in which Nintendo will play a montage of characters they don't want in Smash over the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme.

Shantae is allegedly present at the very end, just before the Shrek reveal trailer starts.
That's pretty funny.
You didn't point out that it was a joke or show links if it isn't though. careful of making connorbot cry.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Man only a little over a week? Wow that is something else.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Advertising ruined it tbh now getting got is all RNG
It's between chronological readers and spazstic ones that jump ahead without checking, basically :)
I was pleasantly got.
10/10 would shrek again.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
:facepalm:

This is why I didn't consider the NCC theory "evidence"; the idea was ridiculous to begin with. "Hey guys, Ryu is in Street Fighter. Deconfirmed for Smash.~ Oh, but wait..."

This freak-out is completely ridiculous: 1) the NCC theory isn't evidence, it's pure speculation, 2) even on its own basis, it still hasn't been broken (Ryu is in Street Fighter AND Marvel vs Capcom, why? Either A) there is no NCC or B) they're not Smash-like fighting games; Blade Strangers is NOT a Smash-like fighting game), 3) Shantae wasn't even mentioned in the damn tweet.

These are the stronger pieces of evidence we have:

- WayForward's silence (completely out-of-character; they're almost assuredly under an NDA)
- Jammies Mode (blatant parallels to Smash; she's most likely NOT just a regular trophy)
- Performance on the ballot (we have every reason to believe that she was, at minimum, in the Top 100)

And we can justify her inclusion based on her merit:

- Literally ticks every single box of Sakurai's design philosophy to a tee
- Fits the mold of a Nintendo business strategy that they're actively performing RIGHT NOW (promoting indies)
- Effortless legal negotiations and, this one is looser, she's actually relevant (unlike at least half of the top contenders at this moment)

---

And even if she IS an AT, that's still flipping great!

Millions of people will learn who she is. Almost assuredly people will discover her in the indie section, buy her games and grow her franchise with more fans and more money. Which means that her games in the future are going to get bigger and better!

What's the problem?
To address your points.
1. I guess technically it's speculation but It's speculation based on deductive reasoning. And it's no more speculation than WF's silence that you bring up.
2. Ryu is obviously the Exception because he is FROM Fighting games. Shantae is not.
3. Yes, the NCC could easily only apply to Smash Like games but It could ALSO easily apply to ALL fighting games depending on the NCC. Yes, Shantae could appear in both blade Strangers and Smash Bros. and doing so wouldn't deconfirm her but it weakens the likelyhood.
4. Of course she wasn't specifically mentioned in the Tweet by name ITS CALLED A HINT. Jammies mode didn't specifically mention Smash by name but alot of people are taking it as a hint.

1. Wayforward not letting Shantae in crossover games is ALSO out of character for them seeing as they have shown a willingness to allow her in other games just not FIGHTING games. It's also in Nintendo's character to not like to share; which makes sense for them to not want her in any fighting game other than Smash.
2. Jammies mode, if true, is just too strong of a tease for her merely being an assist trophy. Them teasing her as an assist trophy would also be out of character for them seeing as they have always been in touch with what the fans want and WF knows that Fans want Shantae as a FIGHTER.
3. She probably did good in the ballot but there is still alot of characters not in the game that probably did better, Isaac, Banjo and Kazooie, Bandana Dee, and Geno. And that's assuming Sakurai is going to strictly adhere to the ballot.

1. Unfortunately, so did Ashley...
2. Okay, I can't argue with this point.
3. Most of the last couple of newcomers haven't been relevant and indicates that Sakurai MIGHT be ignoring relevance this time around. He probably doesn't care either way nowadays. I can see it going either way.

Top Bottom