• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm curious about popularity in japan in 2015, since that was the time of the ballot. Though still, searches are just searches and it doesn't go beyond that, and if shantae fans passed word of mouth of fans who already knew her, it's possible she wouldn't have as many searches.

Ultimately we don't really know, but we can assume she did fairly well in the ballot, and then we don't have much to go on for nintendo's side we mostly just have stuff because of WF.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
You do realize that, if Shantae is in, Wayforward would have known about Smash Ultimate since before the initial teaser.
Yes, That was the point I was trying to make. My point being that Shantae's in in some form or the "references" to Smash Ultimate are a major and huge coincidence.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
To end the Google Trends thing, I decided to use the shantae vs shovel knight in katakana stuff, go from Japan to Worldwide, then replaced the Katakana Shovel Knight with Shantae, while leaving the Katakana Shantae. And it shows to me that Japan was always interested in Shantae, though even then the interest levels compared to the later World levels shows us that their knowledge may have been relatively constant, with a conspicuous spike in May 2010. After the release of Pirate's Curse in 2014, the World has constantly shown more interest than Japan, but the Japanese has shown constant interest in her.

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
Shantae Disconfirmed as playable character.

someone over there posted about how they saw us talking about the pictures with Smash hashtags that Matt and WF retweeted and they now believe she can't be playable.
If I were to be serious about disconfirming Shantae I would not use this as my argument.
It's something to think about, but it's not proof.
It's like Jazzy said, but Anti-shantae version:
Sorry, but I feel like it's important to distinguish between actual evidence and speculation. If you were to present these things to people that are neutral towards Shantae's inclusion, you might come off as reaching extra hard. Like Ridley's shadow levels of reaching.
Even people in that thread are calling him out.

It'd be like jumping on 1 piece of speculation and going "OMG SHANTAE 100% CONFIRMED!"
Purple and Yellow chair theory by itself for example is not SHANTAE CONFIRMED.

Besides, the twitter likes could be for any reason and interpreted in almost anyway. (You could make a separate theory independent of the first that claims this boosts Shantae's chances). And even if you take them seriously it is only bad for some fan made theories.
For example if I were to disprove purple and yellow chair theory for Skull Kid, it would not deconfirm skullkid.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
To end the Google Trends thing, I decided to use the shantae vs shovel knight in katakana stuff, go from Japan to Worldwide, then replaced the Katakana Shovel Knight with Shantae, while leaving the Katakana Shantae. And it shows to me that Japan was always interested in Shantae, though even then the interest levels compared to the later World levels shows us that their knowledge may have been relatively constant, with a conspicuous spike in May 2010. After the release of Pirate's Curse in 2014, the World has constantly shown more interest than Japan, but the Japanese has shown constant interest in her.
I mean, she did get her own figures, released exclusively in Japan, and when a franchise is large enough to have it's own figures then you must know that it is very popular.

Last edited:

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Okay, sorry I'm not joining the convo as much as I used to guys, I'm steadily searching for anything that Nintendo might announce.

Anyway, some bad news.

Its been 3 days since the earthquake, and while we still aren't certain when, and we have some sort of deadline (due to some dataminers in splatoon), people are getting even more agitated about the Direct. Not because of it not airing (though, there are those type of people), but becauze of no confirm date. Even 4chan /v/ is getting a little upset about it. Of course, debates between respect of the country and just airing is sprouting each and every time, people are getting antsy.

I'll continue to see if anyrhing else pops up.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
If I were to be serious about disconfirming Shantae I would not use this as my argument.
It's something to think about, but it's not proof.
It's like Jazzy said, but Anti-shantae version:

Even people in that thread are calling him out.

It'd be like jumping on 1 piece of speculation and going "OMG SHANTAE 100% CONFIRMED!"
Purple and Yellow chair theory by itself for example is not SHANTAE CONFIRMED.

Besides, the twitter likes could be for any reason and interpreted in almost anyway. (You could make a separate theory independent of the first that claims this boosts Shantae's chances). And even if you take them seriously it is only bad for some fan made theories.
For example if I were to disprove purple and yellow chair theory for Skull Kid, it would not deconfirm skullkid.
While I would like to go "oh, that wouldn't matter because I knew they are just speculations!" well... that couldn't be further from the truth than if I was deliberately trying to make Meat Boy out as THE Indie rep.
Mainly because I'm a bloody conspiracy nut. And I inhale that stuff for breakfast, right after some sausages.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I would say a huge coincidence, considering their previous, and final, official stretch goal was released around April 10th, 2018. Though around that time, too, it was past the point when the Inklings got revealed, way back of March 8th. I'm half/half on whether the references are intentional or coincidental.
This is a good point to consider. Those are Ultimate references, especially when you combine it with the Smash-esque trailer that they made for Jammies mode. "But that's not all" and "a new transformation approaches". WayForward knew what they were doing there.
First we should look at everything that came from the trailer and content itself:

"Shantae x Blaster Master Zero" = "Super Smash Bros x ____" (I also noticed that the actual games are first, and the games crossing over into them are second)
"A new transformation approaches" = "A new challenger approaches"

And then there's a lot of evidence that follows the theme of "Everyone" which is also the theme of Ultimate.

"Jammies Mode is HERE" = "Everyone is HERE"
"Free for Everyone, regardless of version, backer or not" = Follows the theme of bringing everyone in
"Ultimate Slumber party", in which she wants everyone, even her enemies = The Ultimate Smash Game
Shantae says something to Risky along the lines of "My Ultimate Slumber party wouldn't be Ultimate without you". This could be a metaphor for Sakurai and someone who was particularly hard to get back, like Snake, considering how both Konami and Risky both came off as reluctant to join, since Konami was completely absent from SSB4 and Risky is the main villain of her series and requires 2 boss fights to cave in(?).

There's also something in the ending involving Mimic, but i don't really understand why people are using that as evidence. (Can someone tell me?)

Regardless, there are too many things that align for many of them to be coincidences. Maybe if it were one or two things, but six (at least)? They're definitely playing at something.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Please don't end up in depression we don’t want to end up like last time ok there’s got to be some things that she is in fact a fighter please:(

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Shantae should get a Gerudo skin if she is in.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
While I would like to go "oh, that wouldn't matter because I knew they are just speculations!" well... that couldn't be further from the truth than if I was deliberately trying to make Meat Boy out as THE Indie rep.
Mainly because I'm a bloody conspiracy nut. And I inhale that stuff for breakfast, right after some sausages.
I really hope you don't inhale sausages! That's not safe!

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
Okay, sorry I'm not joining the convo as much as I used to guys, I'm steadily searching for anything that Nintendo might announce.

Anyway, some bad news.

Its been 3 days since the earthquake, and while we still aren't certain when, and we have some sort of deadline (due to some dataminers in splatoon), people are getting even more agitated about the Direct. Not because of it not airing (though, there are those type of people), but becauze of no confirm date. Even 4chan /v/ is getting a little upset about it. Of course, debates between respect of the country and just airing is sprouting each and every time, people are getting antsy.

1-3 weeks. Time on the internet moves faster so for them it'll be like 1-3 months.

Sure, but even as far as the speculation world is concerned twitter likes are low tier.
Everyone knows the good speculations and the bad. Personally I think the really good ones matter. If you are god tier you can make accurate predictions.
For Shantae I think the speculation has been pretty good for the most part.

Unless you are Kirby.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
Conspiracy sausages are delicious though. Back in the Brawl days I was one of those people, throwing around character ideas ever since Snake and Sonic were announced. Feels weird seeing how big the roster has grown though.

Dukefire

Smash Master
While she was a guest star to indies games not Smash Inspired, she was included in a fan game made by dedicated Smash Fans.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Conspiracy sausages are delicious though. Back in the Brawl days I was one of those people, throwing around character ideas ever since Snake and Sonic were announced. Feels weird seeing how big the roster has grown though.
Feels more unusual to see someone like Snake in an otherwise "kiddie" game as well? No knock against Smash, but more the perceived stereotypes surrounding Nintendo at the time.

Also, Smash Bros Crusade is not officially acknowledged by either WayForward Technologies or Nintendo. The former would be somewhat alright with it, but the latter will just slap a C&D on it.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Please don't end up in depression we don’t want to end up like last time ok there’s got to be some things that she is in fact a fighter please:(
I just looked at the likes from Bozon and the RT's for both WF and Bozon for 2018. Thankfully, the only thing that came up on those ends was that one artpeice that set off this whole mess. Hopefully she's in the Direct and he just figured "eh. There are only a few days left. We can let this one slide", and that whoever was operating the WF Twitter account at the times either didn't know or wasn't under NDA.

To think Snake wasn't even the halfway point.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Feels more unusual to see someone like Snake in an otherwise "kiddie" game as well? No knock against Smash, but more the perceived stereotypes surrounding Nintendo at the time.

Also, Smash Bros Crusade is not officially acknowledged by either WayForward Technologies or Nintendo. The former would be somewhat alright with it, but the latter will just slap a C&D on it.
When Snake made it in, I was half expecting to see characters like Duke Nukem and Max Payne get included.

Last edited:

K.O.Ninja

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2638-3836-1861
Switch FC
SW-8125-1321-6340
It's not hard evidence, or really good evidence that will help convince people of Shantae's chances, but it's still fun to see. And hey, this all got me thinking, do we know the sales of the Shantae games?
According to the Steam sales leak, Pirate's Curse sold 136,580 copies, Half-Genie Hero + Ultimate Edition sold 76884 combined, and Risky's Revenge sold 125,544. So, the series has sold at least 339,008 copies. These are just the Steam numbers, I bet sales on Nintendo systems matched or surpassed these since they got them first.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
According to the Steam sales leak, Pirate's Curse sold 136,580 copies, Half-Genie Hero + Ultimate Edition sold 76884 combined, and Risky's Revenge sold 125,544. So, the series has sold at least 339,008 copies. These are just the Steam numbers, I bet sales on Nintendo systems matched or surpassed these since they got them first.
Definitely. These games may be on other systems, but Shantae is certainly most known on Nintendo systems. It was only till HGH that a game launched on all systems rather than starting on Nintendo.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
When talking about Jammies, don't forget how it's in-game description is "prepare for the ultimate pillow fight".

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

Anyway, some bad news.

what do you mean "Even 4chan /v/?" their like the FIRST to complain and whine about something.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice

It does seem weird having a rugged military agent decked with guns surrounded by pink puffballs, Japanese swordsmen, and literal animals. Then again Bayo tortures daemons n'stuff on a daily basis so who knows.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
When Snake made it in, I was half expecting to see characters like Duke Nukem and Max Payne get included.
When talking about Jammies, don't forget how it's in-game description is "prepare for the ultimate pillow fight".
Normally, I'd just write it off as "just an expression", but as I said before, there's too much for it to just be a coincidence.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
I hope everyone is having a wondeful day! i just got done streaming 8 hours of Link to the past rando.

any news for our half-genie?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
First we should look at everything that came from the trailer and content itself:

"Shantae x Blaster Master Zero" = "Super Smash Bros x ____" (I also noticed that the actual games are first, and the games crossing over into them are second)
"A new transformation approaches" = "A new challenger approaches"

And then there's a lot of evidence that follows the theme of "Everyone" which is also the theme of Ultimate.

"Jammies Mode is HERE" = "Everyone is HERE"
"Free for Everyone, regardless of version, backer or not" = Follows the theme of bringing everyone in
"Ultimate Slumber party", in which she wants everyone, even her enemies = The Ultimate Smash Game
Shantae says something to Risky along the lines of "My Ultimate Slumber party wouldn't be Ultimate without you". This could be a metaphor for Sakurai and someone who was particularly hard to get back, like Snake, considering how both Konami and Risky both came off as reluctant to join, since Konami was completely absent from SSB4 and Risky is the main villain of her series and requires 2 boss fights to cave in(?).

There's also something in the ending involving Mimic, but i don't really understand why people are using that as evidence. (Can someone tell me?)

Regardless, there are too many things that align for many of them to be coincidences. Maybe if it were one or two things, but six (at least)? They're definitely playing at something.
There is also the fact that Matt Bozon just started recently following Sakurai on Twitter. Which to me, along with everything else you said seems to be like way too much to be a coincidence.

Last edited:

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
Not really, but we do suspect that Jake Kaufman may be under NDA, potentially because if she was in, they would likely need soundtrack and he's the guy.
Just think of all the remixes Jake could bring to Smash. If he revives some of the music from the old games like Zombie Caravan I would be overjoyed.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Do you guys think Simon was put in from the ballot? I'm asking because if he was, then we can assume that the numbers of voters aren't everything, which can be good or bad. (Good being that Shantae's relative obscurity isn't too much of a hurdle, and bad being that we [along with fans of other highly requested characters] are putting too much weight on the ballot.)

D

Deleted member

Do you guys think Simon was put in from the ballot? I'm asking because if he was, then we can assume that the numbers of voters aren't everything, which can be good or bad. (Good being that Shantae's relative obscurity isn't too much of a hurdle, and bad being that we [along with fans of other highly requested characters] are putting too much weight on the ballot.)
Simon (and Richter) probably got in on their own merits, Castlevania was pretty much the last of the major NES era franchises that didn't make it in smash yet.

Top Bottom