• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Okay, guys, I have a joke "evidence" for you.
You know that Apple Watch game that featured Shantae and Bolo as characters?
Did you know that the "blurb" or subtitle for the game is "Heroes of Time"?
Where have we heard of "Heroes" and "Time" before...?
Link.

Also, Earl's right. Counterpoint though, it was entirely possible that even before Pirate's Curse's release in Japan, they were more than aware of the Half-Genie, because of Pirate's Curse, given that they may have clamored for a release in their country. There's some basis in stating that Shantae had a presence in Japan, even during the Ballot Era.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Okay, guys, I have a joke "evidence" for you.
You know that Apple Watch game that featured Shantae and Bolo as characters?
Did you know that the "blurb" or subtitle for the game is "Heroes of Time"?
Where have we heard of "Heroes" and "Time" before...?
Link.

I dunno. Thought this image fit. It's the Half-Genie Hero of Time!

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Let's not forget more history in general. She did come out on the GBC in 2002, pre dating most indie characters and is one of the few that is apart of a series rather than one single game.
Shovel Knight is technically part of a series but that's thanks to how the project scope ballooned out from the original Kickstarter and stretch goals.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
We won't be repeating ourselves forever as we will VERY soon have new exciting information about the game.
What if she is announced ? Is this thread going to die once the excitment passed ?
It will not, it will be a whole new beginning of speculation. How she'll function, how she'll fight, what her tier might be, etc.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
I meant when it comes to new topics. It feels like we have brought up so much, I can't think of any new evidence. We just have to play the waiting till some new stuff comes from Smash or WF(Although for them it would be less direct).
Well it has been 3 months since ultimate was announced and there are only so many things to point to. Top that off with this tease of a direct and it's only a matter of time before people start pointing again.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Shovel Knight is technically part of a series but that's thanks to how the project scope ballooned out from the original Kickstarter and stretch goals.
And even this it still does not beat Shantae's long history and game count, at least not yet. I know King of Cards is a thing, but that comes out after Smash Ultimate.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't know what yous are on about, this thread has been repeating itself the whole time, and still finding new information every now and then.
And who knows how things will shift or what we'll see next.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

I was serious about the game, though I still find it funny how they used "Heroes of Time" knowing that there is a character commonly called the Hero of Time.
The Legend of Shantae: Some Instrument of Time. Sold by the Squid Baron for 15 Quid.
I did know of that game's existence previously. Gonna have to buy an Apple Watch just so I can play it...
Anyway, is Squid Baron selling something along the lines of this one?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Just bringing up something that might be of interest since it's not something I see brought up. We all know Jammies mode was released at the end of July and Ultimate was fully revealed on June 12th. What gets me going is development time. It's not as simple as just throwing something together in a few weeks and releasing it. Jammies mode would have had to have been in development for a bit before Ultimate was officially revealed. Not only that, but it takes quite a bit of time to go through the approval process for each system to have it be hosted on the online servers. So if these Smash Ultimate references in Jammies mode are actually references, then something tells me that somebody at Wayforward knew ahead of time what it was prior to it's official unveiling. Either that, or it's a huge coincidence.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
So hey, new face here as I just joined despite lurking here and on Gamefaqs for like the last month, but I felt the need to state that on the subject of "evidence" for a fighter, everything for every fighter is pretty much speculative. I like Shantae, and she's the only real character I want in Ultimate, but even for her all of her evidence is speculative...but that's not a bad thing because so is everything for Issac, or Dixie Kong, or Karate Joe.

Really the only "fighters" that have evidence in my book that isn't speculative are: Isabelle, Shadow, and Skull Kid, because they were all ATs which aren't anywhere to be seen. Anyways sorry for the random subject change, I just wanted to bring that up. Also, not trying to bring any negativity so sorry about that.

Kalomaze

Smash Cadet
NNID
sonicmarioguy
Looking up just "shantae" for the google trends thing on the japan region only trumps SK over 4 times in search results.
Interesting..
May just be because she's an older character and it's an unfair comparison but eh

Last edited:

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Just bringing up something that might be of interest since it's not something I see brought up. We all know Jammies mode was released at the end of July and Ultimate was fully revealed on June 12th. What gets me going is development time. It's not as simple as just throwing something together in a few weeks and releasing it. Jammies mode would have had to have been in development for a bit before Ultimate was officially revealed. Not only that, but it takes quite a bit of time to go through the approval process for each system to have it be hosted on the online servers. So if these Smash Ultimate references in Jammies mode are actually references, then something tells me that somebody at Wayforward knew ahead of time what it was prior to it's official unveiling. Either that, or it's a huge coincidence.
I would say a huge coincidence, considering their previous, and final, official stretch goal was released around April 10th, 2018. Though around that time, too, it was past the point when the Inklings got revealed, way back of March 8th. I'm half/half on whether the references are intentional or coincidental.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Hey, I want to bring something up. I heard that when the ballot happened, WF emailed all 18,558 backers about voting for her, right? Even if not every single one of them voted for her, that is still a large amount of people that liked her enough to support her game. And that's not even touching upon her fans that were backers.
Looking up just "shantae" for the google trends thing on the japan region only trumps SK over 4 times in search results.
Interesting..
May just be because she's an older character and it's an unfair comparison but eh
How many people looked up Bayonetta Smash, Ridley Smash, and/or K.Rool Smash?

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I'll admit I wasn't thinking straight when I posted that topic hence why I closed it soon after. Doing things on impulse without thinking is something that my Asperger's Syndrome can cause me to do so i just hope I didn't do too much damage.
Don't worry about it. I'm sorry that I didn't recognize your name from this board. I assumed you must have been someone from Gamefaqs that had been watching the board for some inside view. I didn't mean to bring unwarranted accusations your way.

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
So hey, new face here as I just joined despite lurking here and on Gamefaqs for like the last month, but I felt the need to state that on the subject of "evidence" for a fighter, everything for every fighter is pretty much speculative. I like Shantae, and she's the only real character I want in Ultimate, but even for her all of her evidence is speculative...but that's not a bad thing because so is everything for Issac, or Dixie Kong, or Karate Joe.

Really the only "fighters" that have evidence in my book that isn't speculative are: Isabelle, Shadow, and Skull Kid, because they were all ATs which aren't anywhere to be seen. Anyways sorry for the random subject change, I just wanted to bring that up. Also, not trying to bring any negativity so sorry about that.
Hey! Welcome to the boards and thread, as a poster anyway.
Hope you enjoy your time here.

Last edited:

Kalomaze

Smash Cadet
NNID
sonicmarioguy
Hey, I want to bring something up. I heard that when the ballot happened, WF emailed all 18,558 backers about voting for her, right? Even if not every single one of them voted for her, that is still a large amount of people that liked her enough to support her game. And that's not even touching upon her fans that were backers.

How many people looked up Bayonetta Smash, Ridley Smash, and/or K.Rool Smash?
https://trends.google.com/trends/?geo=US
try it 'ere

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
This is a good point to consider. Those are Ultimate references, especially when you combine it with the Smash-esque trailer that they made for Jammies mode. "But that's not all" and "a new transformation approaches". WayForward knew what they were doing there.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Thank you. I feel like we're starting to get a little too carried away with the speculation and passing it off as fact. As a guy who loves the Ace Attorney and Danganronpa series of games, it's necessary to look at the facts and doubt each piece of evidence we have in order to reach the truth.

The Jammies mode and Wayforward's creepy avoidance are the two key pieces we have.

Jammies mode might not be as much of a hint as we make it out to be, but I do strongly feel it's very peculiar they released not only during speculation season, but for FREE so everyone could see it, and also the key parts that point towards a hint are BOLDED WORDS.

Wayforward's silence speaks for itself, but it's not just their Twitter but anyone associated with Wayforward who have not said a word about Shantae and Smash together in the same sentence.

While fan polls look great and they prove she has a following, those polls do not have as much reach as the Smash Ballot would. It is also possible that some odd dark horse character that the Smash Community never really wanted was voted for by a silent minority during the public ballot period like Steve from Minecraft. In the end we can make assumptions, but we really have no idea exactly who voted on the Smash ballot and who they voted for. It's hardly conclusive evidence we can use and say "Shantae was popular on the ballot." Now, we can change our wording a bit and say "Shantae has been a consistent, popular favorite among dedicated Smash fans on fan polls" and that would be true.
Jammies mode goes even deeper tho. You have to remember that it released to the public just shortly after the E3 reveal of Smash Ultimate. Prior to E3 no one knew the game was called "Super Smash Bros Ultimate" and we certainly didn't know it would have the tag line "Everyone is here"

Those words being emboldened in the in game text certainly makes it seem like a reference to the game, but the release of the mode means that this reference was being scripted, coded and implemented BEFORE we knew anything about the game other than the initial teaser with the Inklings. They didn't just make a reference, they made one with prior knowledge of the game that others on the outside couldn't have known about.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I'll admit I wasn't thinking straight when I posted that topic hence why I closed it soon after.
I would also like to apologize (again). I don’t think I was thinking straight either, and usually tend to weigh the negatives over the positives and think that way with everything in life; not just Smash. I was never active on many forms of media, and was lurking around the thread before making an account, so that’s why I took so long to join.

I honestly don’t blame (some of) you for jumping to conclusions. If there’s anything I can do to make it up, please let me know.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76981381

Someone dug up a new thing. Quite interesting.

Though google searches may not be the greatest thing to rely on as solid evidence.
They can’t reallly be used as evidence, but they’re an okay gauge of popularity.

Kalomaze

Smash Cadet
NNID
sonicmarioguy
In the US, surprisingly enough, at least up until the K. Rool reveal, Shantae as a whole was more popular search than King K. Rool in the States, but she was more or less constantly under Bayo's heel.
didnt the mii costume make people go "oh hes deconfirmed"

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
You do realize that, if Shantae is in, Wayforward would have known about Smash Ultimate since before the initial teaser.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I am not the most trusting of google trends, but it does make for some great speculation. If we were to take these results, Shantae has been beating SK in general popularity for a while now, it's only when you factor in Smash does SK get a bit of an upper hand. And even then, we could take this as there being more of a silent majority for Shantae than we would think. But again, this is google trends.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I just left for a couple minutes and I can't keep up with what's happening. Can someone please fill me in?
I think people are looking at Google analytics to see how popular Shantae was during the time of the ballot, search wise.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think people are looking at Google analytics to see how popular Shantae was during the time of the ballot, search wise.
It's not hard evidence, or really good evidence that will help convince people of Shantae's chances, but it's still fun to see. And hey, this all got me thinking, do we know the sales of the Shantae games?

Top Bottom