• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Did anyone notice that The Art of Shantae was supposed to be released on December 1st but got pushed back to March 30th, 2021?
Normally, I would call shenanigans on Udon (or the you-know-what that starts with a C) for that since it's already taken ages to push out, but why would they do this?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Considering that stuff like Crash 4's artbook came out safely in the same year it was announced, I would think Udon is prioritizing Street Fighter/Capcom stuff over the rest of their projects. Again.

Oh, and come to think of it, wasn't there a delay for something Shantae-related being announced on December last year, being moved to March of this year?

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
So what stage would Shantae come with?
I think you'd have to go with Scuttle Town. Either a moving stage like Skyloft, a fixed stage like Gareth Monestary, or just something that has mixed platforms like that one Fire Emblem Castle Siege stage before the transformations. There are definitely other locales and options from the Shantae series, but I feel like the main town makes the most sense.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
It's just a book, not a huge project like Cyberpunk 2077.
I seriously hope you're not kicking the Hornet's Nest with that remark.
I'm saying this as someone who is genuinely interested in that game and sick of all the drama surrounding it.

I think you'd have to go with Scuttle Town. Either a moving stage like Skyloft, a fixed stage like Gareth Monestary, or just something that has mixed platforms like that one Fire Emblem Castle Siege stage before the transformations. There are definitely other locales and options from the Shantae series, but I feel like the main town makes the most sense.
I agree.
I can't imagine another location working nearly as well as a Shantae-stage, as Scuttle Town.
Especially if it's during a scenario, where it is being attacked by Risky.
It can really turn out to be one dynamic stage, with all of the different elements it had over the entire series, along with RIsky and her Tinkerbats as a stage hazard.

A man can dream...
But honestly, I can kinda understand people like Seb and Dolphin losing hope, from all these anxiety-inducing reveals.
A video game related thing shouldn't be the cause of such extreme feelings, but somehow it is.
And it can burn out a person easily. I felt it more and more with each passing reveal.

The fact remains that Shantae could be among the last, unrevealed characters.
So her chances remain unchanged.
And yet, something about those Smash News and new reveals just fills me with a feeling of dread and misery, which it really shouldn't do. X_X

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I seriously hope you're not kicking the Hornet's Nest with that remark.
I'm saying this as someone who is genuinely interested in that game and sick of all the drama surrounding it.

I agree.
I can't imagine another location working nearly as well as a Shantae-stage, as Scuttle Town.
Especially if it's during a scenario, where it is being attacked by Risky.
It can really turn out to be one dynamic stage, with all of the different elements it had over the entire series, along with RIsky and her Tinkerbats as a stage hazard.

A man can dream...
But honestly, I can kinda understand people like Seb and Dolphin losing hope, from all these anxiety-inducing reveals.
A video game related thing shouldn't be the cause of such extreme feelings, but somehow it is.
And it can burn out a person easily. I felt it more and more with each passing reveal.

The fact remains that Shantae could be among the last, unrevealed characters.
So her chances remain unchanged.
And yet, something about those Smash News and new reveals just fills me with a feeling of dread and misery, which it really shouldn't do. X_X
Let me preface this by saying that Smash Ultimate is my favorite video game I've ever played in my life, and I started out pretty much when games did, at least home console games. I obviously haven't played every video game and there are genres as a whole I stay away from, but I've played a bunch of games and have liked a bunch.

It's always exciting when characters and content is added to Smash Ultimate, but I can honestly say I can't wait until all of the DLC is over and people just play the darn game and have fun with what's there, not stress over the things that aren't. Okay, so I already got what I wanted in Banjo & Kazooie, but even if I hadn't, the DLC cycle for Ultimate has been way too stressful. I honestly wish they just announced the contents of the pass right at the beginning and then we just play the waiting game for the content to drop.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Look at it this way, at least it beats the speculation for Fighterz and Street Fighter V; the former is filled with Saiyans or Goku/Vegeta variants in the DLC so far, and the latter has been all over the place, with the fans having to wait a full year to know who the final DLC character even is.

Besides, announcing all characters for Smash at the same time would leave the Internet unusable for at least a week. :ultsteve: briefly broke Twitter. Let that sink in for a minute.

Oooooh, Shantae for Smash?
Who knows? I just find it odd that such an uncanny coincidence occurred (for reference, Seven Sirens was announced on December of last year to be moved to March of this year, at least for the full console version of the game).

One thing that I do think about right now is this: if the next character doesn't match the current text "leak", it'll change speculation yet again.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
No leak now can predict who is coming. Even if the character is high in demand, a curveball is always possible.

Just to be safe, let's try to avoid leaks speaking about shantae in case to prevent potential false hope. Shantae may be the underdog compared to other titles, but that hasn't stop her adventures and the fans that follow along.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Let me preface this by saying that Smash Ultimate is my favorite video game I've ever played in my life, and I started out pretty much when games did, at least home console games. I obviously haven't played every video game and there are genres as a whole I stay away from, but I've played a bunch of games and have liked a bunch.

It's always exciting when characters and content is added to Smash Ultimate, but I can honestly say I can't wait until all of the DLC is over and people just play the darn game and have fun with what's there, not stress over the things that aren't. Okay, so I already got what I wanted in Banjo & Kazooie, but even if I hadn't, the DLC cycle for Ultimate has been way too stressful. I honestly wish they just announced the contents of the pass right at the beginning and then we just play the waiting game for the content to drop.
I am hesitant to call Smash Bros Ultimate the best video game ever.
Though I generally have difficulties picking favourites.
However, it is undeniable that Smash Bros Ultimate is a passion project.
And there aren't many of those left in the AAA landscape.

But yeah, I can agree with the DLC cycle.
I too wish they would just reveal the characters quickly and painlessly, instead of riding on an arbitrary hype-tradition.
Look at it this way, at least it beats the speculation for Fighterz and Street Fighter V; the former is filled with Saiyans or Goku/Vegeta variants in the DLC so far, and the latter has been all over the place, with the fans having to wait a full year to know who the final DLC character even is.

Besides, announcing all characters for Smash at the same time would leave the Internet unusable for at least a week. :ultsteve: briefly broke Twitter. Let that sink in for a minute.
I honestly don't think it'd make a big difference, if Smash Bros would reveal all the characters in the Pass beforehand, like Street Fighter 5 did with its latest pass.
In fact, if hype is so important to people, I think they can still feel it even if they know who is coming from the get-go.
You may know who's coming, but not how they play.
So some element of surprise is still there.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If you're so worried about speculation at all, take some advice from me.

Step back, leave the site, focus on games/hobbies, go out for some fresh air and otherwise pass the time, only occasionally checking on Tuesdays for any news.

It's not worth being involved in discussions 24/7 if it won't go anywhere fast. If other people get into a fit, no need to make a fuss over it when negative reactions over Smash stuff are ultimately ephemeral; that energy will still be focused elsewhere when nothing for Smash is going on, as the gaming industry is a huge environment.

That being said, I'm leaving this thread for real until something noteworthy actually happens.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'll be visiting the forum here and there, but I'm pretty 'seasonal', I'm more around when it's closer to something coming out, or at least some interesting speculation :p

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I am hesitant to call Smash Bros Ultimate the best video game ever.
Though I generally have difficulties picking favourites.
However, it is undeniable that Smash Bros Ultimate is a passion project.
And there aren't many of those left in the AAA landscape.

But yeah, I can agree with the DLC cycle.
I too wish they would just reveal the characters quickly and painlessly, instead of riding on an arbitrary hype-tradition.

I honestly don't think it'd make a big difference, if Smash Bros would reveal all the characters in the Pass beforehand, like Street Fighter 5 did with its latest pass.
In fact, if hype is so important to people, I think they can still feel it even if they know who is coming from the get-go.
You may know who's coming, but not how they play.
So some element of surprise is still there.
I don’t think Ultimate is the best video game ever, but it’s definitely my favorite. I think I’ve played some games that afterward I am like “that was a magnificent game”, but once I finish them, I don’t plan to return. Some games I thought were truly wonderful we’re Horizon Zero Dawn and NieR Automata, but I don’t plan on playing either of them again. Whereas Smash I just keep playing. Smash 4 I hit 10,000 matches online with and I believe I hit that point with Ultimate last month. And with Ultimate it still has at least one more year of support, maybe another of patches, then probably another year or two of life after that. I’m positive I’ll play it until the next Smash comes out. So yeah I know it has it’s flaws but for me the franchise as a whole is just fun and addicting. I can absolutely understand people who only like it and not obsessed with it like me, I don’t hold it against anyone, haha.

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Happy New Year everyone! These last two pages got a bit heavy but be sure to remember Smash is all about the fun. And with a new year will come new characters, new spirit events, and a whole lot of new fans with every reveal. If you find yourself getting stressed, pull back and take a break for your own sake so you don’t end up hurting over nothing. It’s all a game, and while we’re allowed to hope for something, know that it’s all about the fun in the end.

Chins up, smile bright, and hope that it’ll be Shantae’s year! ✌

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I don’t think Ultimate is the best video game ever, but it’s definitely my favorite. I think I’ve played some games that afterward I am like “that was a magnificent game”, but once I finish them, I don’t plan to return. Some games I thought were truly wonderful we’re Horizon Zero Dawn and NieR Automata, but I don’t plan on playing either of them again. Whereas Smash I just keep playing. Smash 4 I hit 10,000 matches online with and I believe I hit that point with Ultimate last month. And with Ultimate it still has at least one more year of support, maybe another of patches, then probably another year or two of life after that. I’m positive I’ll play it until the next Smash comes out. So yeah I know it has it’s flaws but for me the franchise as a whole is just fun and addicting. I can absolutely understand people who only like it and not obsessed with it like me, I don’t hold it against anyone, haha.
If Ultimate is your favourite, then it's also the best in your opinion.
Simple as that. : 3

I keep coming back to a lot of games from time to time, including Smash Bros Ultimate.
So yeah, I love a lot of games. ;)

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
I definitely think Shantae stands a chance but I am again putting this out there that Shantae as a series really hasn't sold anywhere near the volume that all of the other franchises represented as DLC have. She does have a nice fanbase, but it's a pretty specific one. And of course sales don't mean everything, but sales are a direct way that a company can tell how many people are playing their products. For reference, if you're using Banjo-Kazooie as the non-profitable pick, the original N64 game sold 3.6 million, which is more than Shantae's entire franchise. (Which was announced to be 3 Mil over the summer.) There is at least a direct sequel to the original too, and an Xbox 360 game that not a lot of people like to talk about, hah.

Ridley and K. Rool are first party and weren't sold, but Metroid Series is 18+ Million sales and the Donkey Kong Country games where K. Rool was a villain are all over 3 million each with the original being closer to 10.

I love Shantae and she's a great character, but she really isn't comparable imo to any of the ones you mentioned, even Banjo-Kazooie. (Though it's at least in a similar vein.) I think her chances aren't terrible for DLC, or a character in future Smash games, but she'd be one of those horses with unfavorable odds if you were a betting person for sure.
It's not the fact Shantae isn't a massive franchise. It's the fact so many "speculators" constantly reject Shantae because so and so only got an Assist or a Mii costume.

You don't see people gatekeeping Amaterasu because Resident Evil only managed to get spirits. You didn't see people discredit Terry Board because of Tekken and Mortal Kombat. Or the fact Crash Bandicoot's debut game outsold Banjo Kazooie's entire lifespan as a franchise.

For God's sake, Sakurai considered Geno back in Brawl, an irrelevant cult character. However, there's apparently this invisible selective barrier that clearly states Shantae is undeserving and the Smash ballot was her only chance?

I swear some of them have their heads so far up there, that they probably taste their own stomach acid.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's not the fact Shantae isn't a massive franchise. It's the fact so many "speculators" constantly reject Shantae because so and so only got an Assist or a Mii costume.

You don't see people gatekeeping Amaterasu because Resident Evil only managed to get spirits. You didn't see people discredit Terry Board because of Tekken and Mortal Kombat. Or the fact Crash Bandicoot's debut game outsold Banjo Kazooie's entire lifespan as a franchise.

For God's sake, Sakurai considered Geno back in Brawl, an irrelevant cult character. However, there's apparently this invisible selective barrier that clearly states Shantae is undeserving and the Smash ballot was her only chance?

I swear some of them have their heads so far up there, that they probably taste their own stomach acid.
Well for one thing, the reason why dectractors and trolls hate Shantae more than other popular characters is because she's a female and detractors/trolls love to call us fans of female characters perverts, horny furries, or pedophiles. It's sickening people would stoop that low on a fanbase just because they don't want the character.

Last edited:

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Well for one thing, the reason why dectractors and trolls hate Shantae more than other popular characters is because she's a female and detractors/trolls love to call us fans of female characters perverts, horny furries, or pedophiles. It's sickening people would stoop that low on a fanbase just because they don't want the character.
Like I said million times, Smash community is toxic and weird so I’m not part of it. I’m just part of Smash community regularly (without being toxic and weird). Hell I would love to have Paper Mario, Crash and Sora but there are other characters that I’m ok to share opinions that not many people would like to hear but it’s ok. Shouldn’t judge or try to force anyone to change their mind about it. If it’s negative, let it go. If it’s like “man of culture” type thing, there you go. Just always respect it. That’s it.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Like I said million times, Smash community is toxic and weird so I’m not part of it. I’m just part of Smash community regularly (without being toxic and weird). Hell I would love to have Paper Mario, Crash and Sora but there are other characters that I’m ok to share opinions that not many people would like to hear but it’s ok. Shouldn’t judge or try to force anyone to change their mind about it. If it’s negative, let it go. If it’s like “man of culture” type thing, there you go. Just always respect it. That’s it.
I swear dude, after playing the speculation game with these toxic detractors for two Smash games already, I don't know if I can go another round in Smash 6. I think Ultimate will be my last rodeo.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
I swear dude, after playing the speculation game with these toxic detractors for two Smash games already, I don't know if I can go another round in Smash 6. I think Ultimate will be my last rodeo.
I can always go with anything for Smash even if we will get the new installment after the next Nintendo generation console.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I can always go with anything for Smash even if we will get the new installment after the next Nintendo generation console.
Yeah, but what I'm saying is I'm probably not going to be here for Smash 6 speculation. I'll play Smash 6, but I probably won't be part of it's speculation.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Hope everyone is having a great start to the New Year. After some incredibly lucky Animal crossing amiibo card pulls, my 2021 is off on the right foot.

Here's hoping the new year brings with it amazing news for all our shared interests. If nothing else, it will be amazing to be able to have the entire Shantae series all on one system for the first time since Pirates Curse!

And there are still three fighter slots left that could honestly go to anyone at this point. I haven't been too happy with most of the Smash DLC, but these next three could change all of that.

And if I could make one more wish for 2021, I hope that new Capcom Arcade service will finally put Darkstalkers on a Nintendo console.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'll place this video here for you guys to rip into: https://youtu.be/4g35Rsr5L74
Not to question it, but if you want to put YouTube videos or Twitter pages on this site where the link shows the image showing, put it in the Media box next to the smiling face icon. The Media box is in the arrow icon next to the smiling face icon. You'll see the Media box and than put the link in it and it will show the link on here like you're on that site.

Top Bottom