• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I guess the real question will be what happens when the 3DS is finally no longer supported at all and the eShop just disabled altogether. At that point it really wouldn't matter whether you have a digital or physical copy. I imagine that time is many years away though, the console was only recently discontinued. The whole sort of phasing out it went through was weird because I had to look around a bunch to actually confirm that were the case, but I guess it makes sense since the Switch is just as portable and imo a far better system overall anyway.

That does stink though that they're delisting games. I wonder what benefit they have of doing that. Is it just licensing time periods or something? It's not like they wouldn't profit if some rando just stumbled upon the 3DS shop and wanted to buy Risky's Revenge or something. shrug

Dukefire

Smash Master
Not to say bad for shantae, but the games doesn't really cost much for your wallet on the 3DS eshop. Now thinking about it, I do worry about the Pokemon Bank services. I need to get my pokemon moving to different titles or else.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Not to say bad for shantae, but the games doesn't really cost much for your wallet on the 3DS eshop. Now thinking about it, I do worry about the Pokemon Bank services. I need to get my pokemon moving to different titles or else.
The 3DS has been discontinued for a while already.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It's typically possible to find it second hand at least though.
Which carries the attendant risk of the game arriving damaged or in otherwise poor quality. That certainly happened to me when I tried to get a physical Wii copy of Xenoblade Chronicles back before digital AAA titles were widespread; disc scratched beyond repair and unplayable past a certain point in the game.

I just don't see physical vs. digital being truly better than one or the other. Physical takes up less memory and is generally easier to preserve for long periods of time, but they are also less accident-proof, and of course many devs might not be able to afford making those copies in the first place.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Which carries the attendant risk of the game arriving damaged or in otherwise poor quality. That certainly happened to me when I tried to get a physical Wii copy of Xenoblade Chronicles back before digital AAA titles were widespread; disc scratched beyond repair and unplayable past a certain point in the game.

I just don't see physical vs. digital being truly better than one or the other. Physical takes up less memory and is generally easier to preserve for long periods of time, but they are also less accident-proof, and of course many devs might not be able to afford making those copies in the first place.
Yeah. usually good to check that before you buy. At least even on ebay they say what condition it's in. I never buy one that's in bad condition, except for one just because I wanted it physically and it should still play ok. It goes for too high when it's in good condition so that was one time I did something weird like that XD.

I much prefer physical. I don't like to rely on internet and servers that'll go down eventually, etc.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I remember hearing about the 3DS launching in Spring of 2011 back in 2010 and instead of getting a big birthday present that December for my 14th birthday in 2010, I wanted money so I could buy the 3DS in the following months when it came out and I got money from my parents instead of a big present. So when Ocarina of Time 3D came out in June, I bought that and the 3DS with that money. I was real excited to play the 3DS because of hearing about the Ocarina of Time 3D remake that was coming out. Ocarina of Time was one of my favorite N64 games so I was hyped to play the remake. I can't believe that was a decade ago since I first played Ocarina of Time 3D on the 3DS.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys it’s been a bit of hot minute so I have two things about I made some characters from original games as miis in Smash for fun and Volume 3 possibility. I’ll start with Volume 3 so you guys can share your thoughts about it if you want so here.

1. I was checking on Instagram looking at posts and memes because I was bored and I saw one of the posts about Vol 2 and this is somebody’s comment about Volume 3 possibility.

Instagram comment: “Keep in mind even before the first Fighters Pass was announced, there were 15 slots found in World Of Light. Notably, these slots have been taken up by the DLC characters with the exception of Piranha Plant (who was originally going to be base game but was delayed to DLC due to time constraints). In total, 8 of those DLC slots have been filled by now. Alts for characters such as Hero, Female Byleth, Alex and others do not count. By the time Fighters Pass Vol. 2 concludes, 11 of the 15 slots will be taken up. Coincidentally, that leaves 4 character slots left. A Fighters Pass Vol. 3 consisting of 4 characters would make perfect sense. I don’t expect it to be announced anytime soon but it will more than likely happen.”

Maybe Shantae will be there instead of Volume 2 if that happens.

2. I made like a showcase video with Sans, Cuphead and Vault Boy (as deluxe miis) with Baldi, Monika, Sayori, Yuri, Natsuki and Kris (characters I made as miis as fighters) for fun so I thought you guys would be interested looking at it even potential spirits for fun as well. Also I put IDs for you guys to download them in Smash content in Smash Ultimate if you want to try them out but Sans, Cuphead, Vault Boy, Persona 3 Protaginist Wig and Erdrick’s Armour for Kris being fully dressed requires payment in the description below: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CJoRh6VpUa0/?igshid=58skfx6euyd1

Last edited:

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Didn’t I tell you to stay anyway from any sites about next possible fighter in Smash just because? Well I’ll say it once or twice, stay away from any sites about those kinds of things
I was only showing it here because of how illogical it was. Sakurai said anniversaries do not guarantee content from a franchise. The last time that happened, Little Mac entered Smash.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
I was only showing it here because of how illogical it was. Sakurai said anniversaries do not guarantee content from a franchise. The last time that happened, Little Mac entered Smash.
I know all that and I get it. That’s why I’m saying stay away from any sites that is pretty odd or something but yeah I see you’re just clarifying and sharing to those people here about anniversaries do not guaranteed anything. Keep that in mind, people.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So Nintendo buying out Next Level Games has me really excited for who they might buyout next. Imagine if Matt has been in Japan all this time because Nintendo wants to buyout WayForward from him and they already signed contracts and rights over. OH that would be the dream. Imagine, our girl Shantae would officially become a member of the Nintendo family and she would finally get that Smash invite as well as crossovering into other Nintendo franchises as a sister.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So Nintendo buying out Next Level Games has me really excited for who they might buyout next. Imagine if Matt has been in Japan all this time because Nintendo wants to buyout WayForward from him and they already signed contracts and rights over. OH that would be the dream. Imagine, our girl Shantae would officially become a member of the Nintendo family and she would finally get that Smash invite as well as crossovering into other Nintendo franchises as a sister.
Yeah man, just look at all those great Banjo-Kazooie games Microsoft had Rare commision since their buyout!

The only times buyouts are truly beneficial is if the franchise or company was nearly six feet under anyway, giving them a slim chance of surviving as they were known instead of none. The only thing concrete thing a Wayforward buyout would do is deprive all other platforms from further Wayforward games of any kind. And Nintendo has already proven it hardly needs to do such a thing to give notable franchises such treatment.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah man, just look at all those great Banjo-Kazooie games Microsoft had Rare commision since their buyout!

The only times buyouts are truly beneficial is if the franchise or company was nearly six feet under anyway, giving them a slim chance of surviving as they were known instead of none. The only thing concrete thing a Wayforward buyout would do is deprive all other platforms from further Wayforward games of any kind. And Nintendo has already proven it hardly needs to do such a thing to give notable franchises such treatment.
Perhaps you're right. But I'm just throwing the idea out there.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I would say be careful with what you wish for, in that instance. I know more often than not a buy-out doesn't mean total liquidation, though I don't trust Nintendo to do them justice. Especially if they pose to become a Disney in Video Game Form.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I would say be careful with what you wish for, in that instance. I know more often than not a buy-out doesn't mean total liquidation, though I don't trust Nintendo to do them justice. Especially if they pose to become a Disney in Video Game Form.
^This
Let's not forget about Nintendo neglect of most of their IPS that are not considered profitable, their very controlling nature about how their games are obtained and played, their utter hatred and iron-fist approach towards hacking, modding and fanmade content and of course, the debacle with FreeMelee and how they threw even an unrelated Splatoon tournament under the bus, just because they didn't like what people said.
Their controlling, dictator-like approach with how they handle their IPs is easily the most disturbing part about Nintendo and where their evil side is the most blatant.

Yes, they make amazing games most of the time and treat their 1st-party employee's better than most other AAA companies for sure.
However, they don't give the same treatment to the consumer.
Nintendo thinks they know better than the consumer and think they don't have to listen to them, because they're too stupid, uneducated and their only role is to keep buying their games and never doubt Nintendo, not even once.
In that sense, they see us as whales, not as valuable business partners that deserve respect.
And Nintendo wants the consumer to know their place so badly, that they aggressively shut down all fanmade alternatives like no other company in the world.
Nintendo is a loving family towards their direct employees, but a cold-hearted, controlling business towards the consumer.

And don't give me that "they have the legal right, so it's okay" BS.
Nobody denies that they have the legal right. But legality should not absolve these actions from being bad, malicious actions towards the consumer.
Legality doesn't get to decide what's right and wrong, hence why legality and moralily often don't mesh well and at times are even in direct conflict with one another.
Look up some of the more absurd, unfair or disturbing laws in the world and then try telling me, the law is absolute and must never be defied or even questioned.

Last edited:

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys what’s new? I already heard about we’re getting spirits from Age of Calamity which it’s bit surprising and interesting. Can’t wait to battle them.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I think it's better if Nintendo and WayForward openly agreed to do a partnership and if the former partially owns the latter, similar to the partnership with Rare and Nintendo partially owning the company.
The partnership between Nintendo and Rare didn't go so well in the long run, did it?
Also Nintendo has changed over the years.

So no, WayForward is way better off as an independant studio, that doesn't have to answer to demands of higher-ups.
If they would be owned by business figures, even just partially...
Well, look at how that worked out for CD Projekt Red.
They are one of the most hated studios right now and facing multiple lawsuits, by backstabbing investors, that could very well end the studio.
And the public would love nothing better right now, than see all the members of the studio publicly executed.
All because of investors and business figures forcing them to do bad decisions.
Do you seriously want WayForward to go that route?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
^This
Let's not forget about Nintendo neglect of most of their IPS that are not considered profitable, their very controlling nature about how their games are obtained and played, their utter hatred and iron-fist approach towards hacking, modding and fanmade content and of course, the debacle with FreeMelee and how they threw even an unrelated Splatoon tournament under the bus, just because they didn't like what people said.
Their controlling, dictator-like approach with how they handle their IPs is easily the most disturbing part about Nintendo and where their evil side is the most blatant.

Yes, they make amazing games most of the time and treat their 1st-party employee's better than most other AAA companies for sure.
However, they don't give the same treatment to the consumer.
Nintendo thinks they know better than the consumer and think they don't have to listen to them, because they're too stupid, uneducated and their only role is to keep buying their games and never doubt Nintendo, not even once.
In that sense, they see us as whales, not as valuable business partners that deserve respect.
And Nintendo wants the consumer to know their place so badly, that they aggressively shut down all fanmade alternatives like no other company in the world.
Nintendo is a loving family towards their direct employees, but a cold-hearted, controlling business towards the consumer.

And don't give me that "they have the legal right, so it's okay" BS.
Nobody denies that they have the legal right. But legality should not absolve these actions from being bad, malicious actions towards the consumer.
Legality doesn't get to decide what's right and wrong, hence why legality and moralily often don't mesh well and at times are even in direct conflict with one another.
Look up some of the more absurd, unfair or disturbing laws in the world and then try telling me, the law is absolute and must never be defied or even questioned.
80% of this has nothing to do with what series Nintendo chooses to work on. Every developer worth their salt has to prioritize based on the profits their products generate, even Wayforward.

The partnership between Nintendo and Rare didn't go so well in the long run, did it?
Also Nintendo has changed over the years.

So no, WayForward is way better off as an independant studio, that doesn't have to answer to demands of higher-ups.
If they would be owned by business figures, even just partially...
Well, look at how that worked out for CD Projekt Red.
They are one of the most hated studios right now and facing multiple lawsuits, by backstabbing investors, that could very well end the studio.
And the public would love nothing better right now, than see all the members of the studio publicly executed.
All because of investors and business figures forcing them to do bad decisions.
Do you seriously want WayForward to go that route?
Yeah, did you know Nintendo were actually more cutthroat with business partners in the past? Of course, a double-cross that backfires hard enough to create an entirely new major competitor will change a man, and we've certainly not heard of many stories of Nintendo mistreating other developers since. Though even back then, I don't recall them ever being majorly cross with Rare, they just didn't try hard enough to hold on to them when Microsoft was trying to swipe the latter.

Last edited:

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
So, anyone else wonder where the Shantae series will go next?
3D adventure, damn it!

And before anyone else replies, this does not mean they'll have to throw the old side scrolling approach under a bus for it. If anything, I want those to go back to using pure pixelation instead of looking like a flash animated mobile game.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
We will see once WF makes an announcement for the new shantae project. They have used up all of the kickstarter funds for HGH, so new assets and artstyle (new or old) are possible.

Also, as time goes on for the next challenger to be revealed in 2 months. Just remember to not be too invested into the idea since it can go in a different direction if not prepared.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
So, anyone else wonder where the Shantae series will go next?
It feels like the games haven't quite found their footing yet on some small aspects of gameplay, though they seem to be close on settling that in the next game or two. I think it's best to focus on that.
I hope they manage to nail it with the next one and really dive deeper with the main story and expand its universe.

However, I'd love to see them experiment as well with what else they could do with Shantae in terms of fun spin-offs/side games. This would allow them to experiment with different genres, formulas or even its characters. Delving into 3D or a different genre would definitely be fun to see. And as long as it's clearly not a part of the 'main series' I think that would be appreciated by fans.
Though I have no idea how they're currently standing financially and if they are able to take such a potential 'risk' at the moment.

But I guess time will tell what WayForward will have in store for us.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
We will see once WF makes an announcement for the new shantae project. They have used up all of the kickstarter funds for HGH, so new assets and artstyle (new or old) are possible.

Also, as time goes on for the next challenger to be revealed in 2 months. Just remember to not be too invested into the idea since it can go in a different direction if not prepared.
whats your icon?

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I am to be counted as a supporter, but have mixed thoughts about this. +She would be a good representative for independent games, I suppose. +-? I am not sure if it is a good idea to have a character whose playstyle depends on what moves you have recently used and are currently using. + Nearly negating the last sentence is that she would be a true stance-change character, an archetype I appreciate, even if I do not care for. - It sounds very tempting for developers to make her overpowered from the parts of the description I read. + She sounds fun to play as for a wide- ranging player base. Overall, I think it would make a decent choice.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I am to be counted as a supporter, but have mixed thoughts about this. +She would be a good representative for independent games, I suppose. +-?
Shantae has been around since 2002 and has had 5 games over the course of 19 years. I would say she is a prime contender to represent the Indies in Smash since she's a popular senior among the Indie characters being around longer than most.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Shantae has been around since 2002 and has had 5 games over the course of 19 years. I would say she is a prime contender to represent the Indies in Smash since she's a popular senior among the Indie characters being around longer than most.
Really? Mmm... That makes another plus then. If I missed that in the description... my fault. I am sometimes guilty of skimming on long write-ups. By the way, the (+, -, ?) symbols were tacked onto the beginning of each statement, in case that is what caught your attention. Thank you for the fun fact though; it helps my opinion.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Once in a while I check to see what kind of talk is about shantae and smash on twitter, and it's encouraging to see actually quite a lot of people mentioning her for it still.

I do hope nintendo felt like putting an indie character in as dlc :p

Dukefire

Smash Master
More people are wanting her in smash ultimate as days continue on, so she isn't short on requests. The problem is that FP2 challengers are already been chosen during FP1's duration. So, we can only hope that Sakurai and Nintendo has picked her past the current position as a spirit.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
More people are wanting her in smash ultimate as days continue on, so she isn't short on requests. The problem is that FP2 challengers are already been chosen during FP1's duration. So, we can only hope that Sakurai and Nintendo has picked her past the current position as a spirit.
We can only pray and hope she get's chosen. But if Ultimate isn't her day, it isn't the end of the world as she will get another chance in Smash 6. Sakurai has had a whole catalog list of requests backed up in his inventory over the years and he can't possibly grant everyone of them in one Smash game. With how popular Shantae is and how vocal and supportive Matt and WayForward are to Nintendo and Shantae's possible Smash inclusion, she'll get in someday eventually.

Top Bottom