• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
I think double reveals are in the past. For E3 it makes sense because it's huge, lots of people watch it. But vga.. well, it's alright, but not really big. I just don't see a double reveal anymore.
What are you talking about? VGA is just as big, if not bigger, than EA. It's awarding all games that came out recently with awards. A double reveal is still a possibility.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
There are only two leaks that sound believable to me. The list of characters Nintendo gave to Sakurai and the Tanooki Luigi leak saying that Crash and Shantae are coming to Smash, which could possibly (key word: possibly) mean a double reveal at TGA 2020. In my opinion, that seems like the most likely outcome.

But these two leaks are only part of the 1% of leaks which are real. 99% of them are mostly just wishlists, false information or borderline trolling, like gechotaris claiming that he saw a Shantae Mii Costume on the Canadian Smash website and it got pulled. There is nothing to prove his case and Kazoka called him out for it by saying "Please stop spreading false information without proof." He didn't even make the video he promised. He's lying. This counts as both false information and trolling.

All in all, out of any leak community I've seen, the Smash community is the most untrustworthy. Call of Duty and Battlefield leakers are way more reliable due to them having actual proof for their claims. It's sad that only 1% out of all Smash leaks are trustworthy.
I'm sorry Robot, but those "leaks" are likely wrong too, and I think your putting more stock into them solely because they're two of only a handful of leaks that actually feature Shantae. I especially can't buy the recent one that said Crash and Shantae, due to them saying that they would be CP7 and 8 instead of 8 and 9. I don't care if people think those numbers are typos and I don't care that I joked about parts of the Animal Crossing stuff winding up being true, I still don't think it's real.

Let me tell you a story. Last year I read a leak on GameFaqs (that sadly I don't think is up there anymore) that was posted I believe in early 2019 that said Joker, Erdrick, Banjo, Terry and KOS-MOS were all in FP1. Barring Erdrick turning out to be part of Hero, they guessed the 1st 4 fighters right, to where I deadass thought that KOS-MOS was last. It didn't even occur to me that they may have just gotten really really lucky in their guesses, and her still being featured in leaks leading up to CP5 just made me all the more certain that KOS-MOS was coming. Obviously, that wound up not happening, and I've been very skeptical of leaks ever since. I will admit though that I do have ONE exception...

I know a lot of people are probably not going to like me saying this, but at this point I don't really care. Vergeben has gotten too many things right over the last couple of years for me to doubt them anymore. They correctly predicted all of Smash 4's roster, Ridley, Ice Climbers, Snake, Ridley, Simon, Isabelle, Incineroar, Erdrick/Hero, Banjo, Terry and even Steve all coming to Ultimate. Some of them may have been made years ago, or others only a day in advance, but they've still been right. Not 100% of the time, I know, like when they said a Square rep would be first for FP1 and it wound up being Joker, but I still put a whole lot more stock in Verge than 99% of other leaks to where they're the only one's I trust (for better or for worse).

The point I'm trying to make though is just be careful. There's a reason why I keep saying to temper your expectations. I didn't do that when it came to KOS-MOS and I wound up wasting my time believing all of those leaks. Just be careful how deep you go into Smash leaks, since like you said, 99% of them are bogus.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What are you talking about? VGA is just as big, if not bigger, than EA. It's awarding all games that came out recently with awards. A double reveal is still a possibility.
EA?
And no, most people I know dont even watch the vga, but E3 is something everyone wants to look for.
It could depend on who you hang out with too i guess.
Ill try to watch some of it this year.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
EA?
And no, most people I know dont even watch the vga, but E3 is something everyone wants to look for.
It could depend on who you hang out with too i guess.
Ill try to watch some of it this year.
Sorry, I accidentally spelled E3 as EA.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I'm sorry Robot, but those "leaks" are likely wrong too, and I think your putting more stock into them solely because they're two of only a handful of leaks that actually feature Shantae. I especially can't buy the recent one that said Crash and Shantae, due to them saying that they would be CP7 and 8 instead of 8 and 9. I don't care if people think those numbers are typos and I don't care that I joked about parts of the Animal Crossing stuff winding up being true, I still don't think it's real.

Let me tell you a story. Last year I read a leak on GameFaqs (that sadly I don't think is up there anymore) that was posted I believe in early 2019 that said Joker, Erdrick, Banjo, Terry and KOS-MOS were all in FP1. Barring Erdrick turning out to be part of Hero, they guessed the 1st 4 fighters right, to where I deadass thought that KOS-MOS was last. It didn't even occur to me that they may have just gotten really really lucky in their guesses, and her still being featured in leaks leading up to CP5 just made me all the more certain that KOS-MOS was coming. Obviously, that wound up not happening, and I've been very skeptical of leaks ever since. I will admit though that I do have ONE exception...

I know a lot of people are probably not going to like me saying this, but at this point I don't really care. Vergeben has gotten too many things right over the last couple of years for me to doubt them anymore. They correctly predicted all of Smash 4's roster, Ridley, Ice Climbers, Snake, Ridley, Simon, Isabelle, Incineroar, Erdrick/Hero, Banjo, Terry and even Steve all coming to Ultimate. Some of them may have been made years ago, or others only a day in advance, but they've still been right. Not 100% of the time, I know, like when they said a Square rep would be first for FP1 and it wound up being Joker, but I still put a whole lot more stock in Verge than 99% of other leaks to where they're the only one's I trust (for better or for worse).

The point I'm trying to make though is just be careful. There's a reason why I keep saying to temper your expectations. I didn't do that when it came to KOS-MOS and I wound up wasting my time believing all of those leaks. Just be careful how deep you go into Smash leaks, since like you said, 99% of them are bogus.
What, so you don't believe the leak because you refuse to see it as an obvious typo?
the damn thing got posted a MONTH after Steve's announcement. It's absolutely a typo in that context.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
What, so you don't believe the leak because you refuse to see it as an obvious typo?
the damn thing got posted a MONTH after Steve's announcement. It's absolutely a typo in that context.
This. It looks like you didn't read Shinuto's comment about it being a typo, TDDolphin TDDolphin . No offence, but he clearly said it out loud when responding to Dukefire Dukefire .

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
There's other 4chan leaks who get stuff right but is still total bunk. You can never really trust them. But that said, if things keep going along it, it still gives it some weight :)
Let's see who's next.
Damn straight. I only focus on 4chan leaks if the content they have stuff that sounds believable and not like a wishlist, false information or trolling. And I've mentioned two of those already.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I won't lie. A double reveal of Shantae and Crash would be legit. Though not a supporter of the half-genie girl, she's one of those characters I wouldn't mind because she'd be a really fun character to play as given her abilities and the moveset she could have.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Honestly. No, I don't. A) How would they not have noticed BOTH numbers being wrong? B) I think it sounds WAAAAY too good to be true that we could be getting 2 characters that I love back to back. I just don't want to get my hopes up.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
The only reason I posted that leak is because of the NSO app we JUST got being very similar to the "N64, Gamecube, Wii, GB, GBA all in one app" part of the leak. As far as I know that app was NOT leaked or datamined BEFORE the update went live. So it may just be a lucky guess but in the original thread it was posted in, everyone called out that specific part as TOTAL BS. I don't know it just seems odd that now a month later we get the start of something that looks like it could very well be heading in THAT direction.

I wanted to share in case some more stuff ends up becoming true. It also got basic details for the Animal Crossing update as well...at this point if we get Crash I will consider all three of these events as a pattern and hope to see more events that could correlate to the contents of the leak.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
If Crash ends up being the only other character revealed this year, it can still spark hype for Shantae as FP9. But if we do get a double reveal (which was neither suggested nor denied in the leak) then it would be pretty damn epic.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The one thing that makes me doubt the list leak is Spyro. The purple dragon whose series bombed so massively in Japan that the Reignited Trilogy was only digitally distributed over there, and yet he's among the first possibilities? I don't know about this (even if the ballot support on the Western side could influence this somehow).

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
The one thing that makes me doubt the list leak is Spyro. The purple dragon whose series bombed so massively in Japan that the Reignited Trilogy was only digitally distributed over there, and yet he's among the first possibilities? I don't know about this (even if the ballot support on the Western side could influence this somehow).
I think Nintendo was just gathering all the popular Western choices they could think of.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
There's no reason to think it would be. Very low chance of happening based on what's happened up to now.
Honestly, the only thing that makes me thinks double reveal could occur is unrelated to that leak at all, but rather is because of the pandemic.

It’s pretty likely that, had global circumstances been different, Nintendo would go for another E3 double character reveal. It’s a huge stage for advertising and Smash News gets BIG attention. Obviously, with E3’s cancellation and the numerous delays in production in Nintendo’s development, that didn’t happen. So perhaps it was going to be Steve slated for a late summer/early fall release and a tease at a second character who would come fall/winter. But now that Steve has finally come in October, and came alone, it feels like they are trying to catch up with their old schedule.

Which is why I think MAYBE the character intended to be revealed alongside Steve at E3 but released later, and then maybe a character initially planned to be announced later in the year or at the VGAs, could come together to be announced but not released at this event.

But even with all that said, it’s all still incredibly unlikely since we don’t even know if we are getting ONE announcement let alone two. I’m just saying that’s an existing possibility, especially since they have to ramp up releases as they have 12 months now to release the remaining 4 characters since they still haven’t delayed Fighter Pass 2’s stated deadline of end of 2021.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Shinuto Shinuto literally said Crash as Fighter 7 was a typo and the leak was posted AFTER Steve came out. (sigh)
[/QUOTE]
Oh

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
For what it's worth, Nintendo's more interesting news have been moved up by a few months. How many is what's hard to tell for the most part.

Right now we only have Geoff's vague promise of "surprises", and that's basically it until Super Mario 3D World DX is out in two months. It's the only current big game of theirs that's currently scheduled, and next month has a whole lot of nothing to speak of besides space for a Partner Showcase.

Just pray that Digital Media Lab's job was easy enough to provide at least one trailer before the year ends.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Honestly, the only thing that makes me thinks double reveal could occur is unrelated to that leak at all, but rather is because of the pandemic.

It’s pretty likely that, had global circumstances been different, Nintendo would go for another E3 double character reveal. It’s a huge stage for advertising and Smash News gets BIG attention. Obviously, with E3’s cancellation and the numerous delays in production in Nintendo’s development, that didn’t happen. So perhaps it was going to be Steve slated for a late summer/early fall release and a tease at a second character who would come fall/winter. But now that Steve has finally come in October, and came alone, it feels like they are trying to catch up with their old schedule.

Which is why I think MAYBE the character intended to be revealed alongside Steve at E3 but released later, and then maybe a character initially planned to be announced later in the year or at the VGAs, could come together to be announced but not released at this event.

But even with all that said, it’s all still incredibly unlikely since we don’t even know if we are getting ONE announcement let alone two. I’m just saying that’s an existing possibility, especially since they have to ramp up releases as they have 12 months now to release the remaining 4 characters since they still haven’t delayed Fighter Pass 2’s stated deadline of end of 2021.
I really think it was just going to be steve at e3, had everything gone according to plan. He came so late, I think they're really behind on everything.
Though sure, it's not impossible they've just been holding onto another one.

In any case 1 week till vga :p

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
We all know what Sakurai would do for Shantae's gameplay. Bring back the mechanic that used to be part of Princess Zelda's moves.
How many times do I have to tell you Pokemon Trainer already did that? Whether the character literally transforms or not doesn't change it from being the same in essence.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The humble bundle monthly has some great games on it this month. Including Indivisible. It obviously sucks because of the controversy and no Shantae in it, but it's still a good game.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Hmm...you guys think Shantae 6 will probably happen in the next 5 years?

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Unlike HGH, I don't recall them saying there were plans for DLC this go around.
I was just joking around. but I'd think they will, it's just different this time around, they were kind of keeping the game itself hidden for a while.

Top Bottom