• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
Shantae isn't among the ranks of Rayman, Crash Bandicoot etc., so she's safe from being an unlikely character. Right now her chances are very strong. Stronger than they were back in 2018 and 2019.
Oh man, where is this coming from?

I don't mean to dismiss Shantae's chances entirely- and that's mostly from bias- but I don't see AT ALL how Shantae's chances have increased. She barely feels like she's on the Smash Team's radar, if you ask me. Sure, she was a Spirit alongside Risky, but it didn't sound like Nintendo reached out for either of those- Wayforward apparently just reached out and hoped for any role in Smash.

And as mentioned, her fan demand doesn't even come close to several of the bigger names.

That doesn't mean she doesn't have merit on her own, but the competition is incredibly stiff, and I don't see anything that suggests Shantae is more likely now than she was. I'm concerned there's strong bias with these claims.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Oh man, where is this coming from?

I don't mean to dismiss Shantae's chances entirely- and that's mostly from bias- but I don't see AT ALL how Shantae's chances have increased. She barely feels like she's on the Smash Team's radar, if you ask me. Sure, she was a Spirit alongside Risky, but it didn't sound like Nintendo reached out for either of those- Wayforward apparently just reached out and hoped for any role in Smash.

And as mentioned, her fan demand doesn't even come close to several of the bigger names.

That doesn't mean she doesn't have merit on her own, but the competition is incredibly stiff, and I don't see anything that suggests Shantae is more likely now than she was. I'm concerned there's strong bias with these claims.
I believe her chances have increased thanks to the large amounts of officially endorsed support she is receiving this year, such as all her games coming to Switch, as well as non-official stuff such as two fan rules being shot down by Min-Min and Steve respectively. Besides, Smash still has no indie rep. Steve doesn't count because he is owned by Microsoft.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I believe her chances have increased thanks to the large amounts of officially endorsed support she is receiving this year, such as all her games coming to Switch, as well as non-official stuff such as two fan rules being shot down by Min-Min and Steve respectively. Besides, Smash still has no indie rep. Steve doesn't count because he is owned by Microsoft.
Just be sure to temper your expectations... Just in case.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Im tinfoiling here by BIG AMOUNT but....this leak said we'd get nintendo classic games all n one app, and just now the Switch 11.0 update added a new app and from it you can access both NES and SNES games from it

Its crazy but I mean I didnt keep keep with this update so was this known about well before it went live? what would be on the app?

Kitsune Luigi Nintendo announcement leak.png

Dukefire

Smash Master
We already know that Steve is Challenger 7 and not Crash Bandicoot. So this leak about Shantae being Challenger 8 may not be true.

As for the other stuff like the emulation for the past Nintendo consoles coming into one app, that may be possible. If Nintendo is going to focus more on the switch's new features and stuff, then Smash may not be needed to be announced at the VGA.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
We already know that Steve is Challenger 7 and not Crash Bandicoot. So this leak about Shantae being Challenger 8 may not be true.

As for the other stuff like the emulation for the past Nintendo consoles coming into one app, that may be possible. If Nintendo is going to focus more on the switch's new features and stuff, then Smash may not be needed to be announced at the VGA.
that leak was posted well AFTER Steve was revealed, it was a typo.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
T The Robot Dump Shantae has plenty of competition. At her level there are a lot of characters from all sorts of games that have equal chance.

Some get deconfirmed, but there's so many games out there. Ryza was deconfirmed, so she's out of the running.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
T The Robot Dump Shantae has plenty of competition. At her level there are a lot of characters from all sorts of games that have equal chance.

Some get deconfirmed, but there's so many games out there. Ryza was deconfirmed, so she's out of the running.
I believe Kazuma Kiryu from Yakuza was also recently deconfirmed for Smash Ultimate.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
To be more accurate, Nagoshi deconfirmed him for every fighting game series in existence, simply due to the way Kiryu's clan's rules work.
And besides, the Yakuza are a real life organisation. Although that's kinda hypocritical considering Persona and Metal Gear Solid had Nazis and Soviets as villains respectively. I am certain Nintendo wouldn't want to include fictional characters from real life organisations though.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
And besides, the Yakuza are a real life organisation. Although that's kinda hypocritical considering Persona and Metal Gear Solid had Nazis and Soviets as villains respectively. I am certain Nintendo wouldn't want to include fictional characters from real life organisations though.
I think it's more so that Nagoshi is using excuses since he has no confidence that Kiryu will ever get picked, yet Sak would ignore personality details anyway. Many character portrayals in Smash aren't super-accurate (such as hot-blooded Roy and Captain Falcon).

Hell, Kamurocho isn't even a real city, and Kiryu embodies the values that modern real-life yakuza no longer have.

that leak was posted well AFTER Steve was revealed, it was a typo.
Should have proofread that then.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Im tinfoiling here by BIG AMOUNT but....this leak said we'd get nintendo classic games all n one app, and just now the Switch 11.0 update added a new app and from it you can access both NES and SNES games from it

Its crazy but I mean I didnt keep keep with this update so was this known about well before it went live? what would be on the app?

View attachment 293452
Uhhhhh, typo or not, I don't know. Getting both Crash AND Shantae back to back sounds WAAAAAY to good to be true...

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
No you dullard he meant Crash is next then Shantae, crash at TGA going by this leak
No insults please. Also, why is it written as "Crash is Fighter Pass 7, Shantae FP8 for Smash Ultimate" then? How do you explain that? Is it supposed to mean we are getting them both back to back or what?

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Interesting this leaker would know about two fighters. Unless we're getting double the reveal at the VGAs like at E3 2019, I'm gonna assume he got lucky with one of his guesses but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping it's real though lol.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
No insults please. Also, why is it written as "Crash is Fighter Pass 7, Shantae FP8 for Smash Ultimate" then? How do you explain that? Is it supposed to mean we are getting them both back to back or what?
Crash fp8, Shantae fp9.
Not that hard to understand, if really it was made after steve was revealed.

edit: Also, just thought to check into the animal crossing update, and there was indeed food and toys, so that's something too, thoguh maybe it was mentioned elsewhere too, I havent really kept up.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Crash fp8, Shantae fp9.
Not that hard to understand, if really it was made after steve was revealed.

edit: Also, just thought to check into the animal crossing update, and there was indeed food and toys, so that's something too, thoguh maybe it was mentioned elsewhere too, I havent really kept up.
Must... Not... Get... Hopeful... Must... Temper... Expectations!

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
A double reveal may sound like a pipe dream to a lot of you, but I actually think it might work. If E3 can do it, so can VGA. Now, it could be either Crash or Shantae, but if a double reveal happens, then that would be a welcome surprise. A very welcome surprise.

In terms of non-Smash predictions for VGA 2020, I think now is the time for Battlefield 6 to shine. The game is gonna come out next year anyway, so a reveal trailer this year would make sense.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
A double reveal may sound like a pipe dream to a lot of you, but I actually think it might work. If E3 can do it, so can VGA. Now, it could be either Crash or Shantae, but if a double reveal happens, then that would be a welcome surprise. A very welcome surprise.

In terms of non-Smash predictions for VGA 2020, I think now is the time for Battlefield 6 to shine. The game is gonna come out next year anyway, so a reveal trailer this year would make sense.
The announcements cover a long period of time. I dont think a double reveal is likely with how slow things have been.

Crash at the vga could make sense. I'm still prepared that there's no smash anything at it tho.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace

I really hope Breath of the Wild 2 gets an update trailer of some kind.
As for double reveals for Smash at the Game Awards, I remember a while back predicting Ryu Hayabusa and Crash for a double reveal before going back on that. It would be absolutely crazy if we actually got one next week during TGAs.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I really hope Breath of the Wild 2 gets an update trailer of some kind.
As for double reveals for Smash at the Game Awards, I remember a while back predicting Ryu Hayabusa and Crash for a double reveal before going back on that. It would be absolutely crazy if we actually got one next week during TGAs.
The leak doesn't propose a double reveal only that crash is next and Shantae after.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
The leak doesn't propose a double reveal only that crash is next and Shantae after.
Oh I wasn't talking about the leak, I was replying to Robot Dump's earlier comment. I don't think a double reveal is likely anymore either, just thought I'd comment on how crazy it would be if one did happen. Heck, I doubt whether that Crash/Shantae leak is even accurate too, despite some of the Animal Crossing stuff being confirmed.

Also Teeb147 Teeb147 I love your new avatar!

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
So soon after Small Battlefield?
Lolololololololololol
I am hoping for maybe more free stages down the line. For example, I'd love to see a Pokemon Sword and Shield stage that comes with 10-12 music tracks that may not necessarily come with a Gen 8 Pokemon. The odds of this happening are small, as I feel like they wouldn't do that for free, but I still think it would be cool.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Okay, now this is getting sketchy. Normally, unless they plan a double reveal, only one character can be leaked. Shinobi leaked Banjo-Kazooie before his reveal, and he was revealed alongside Hero. To be able to know who the Fighter after the upcoming Fighter is, you would have to break into Sora Ltd. and find Sakurai's list of upcoming characters or something like that or hack into the system, which would both land you in deep trouble and Nintendo has made Smash harder to for dataminers to access the game's files. It shouldn't be possible for the leaker to know about two characters at the same time unless they are being worked on back to back and are being saved for a double reveal. So yeah, this all sounds pretty sus, as the leaker should only have knowledge of Crash and not Shantae, and yet somehow he knows Shantae is coming, which would only be possible if they're planning a double reveal.

Either way, we'll have to wait and see in VGA 2020. Could be Crash, could be Shantae, or could be both.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Or
Okay, now this is getting sketchy. Normally, unless they plan a double reveal, only one character can be leaked. Shinobi leaked Banjo-Kazooie before his reveal, and he was revealed alongside Hero. To be able to know who the Fighter after the upcoming Fighter is, you would have to break into Sora Ltd. and find Sakurai's list of upcoming characters or something like that or hack into the system, which would both land you in deep trouble and Nintendo has made Smash harder to for dataminers to access the game's files. It shouldn't be possible for the leaker to know about two characters at the same time unless they are being worked on back to back and are being saved for a double reveal. So yeah, this all sounds pretty sus, as the leaker should only have knowledge of Crash and not Shantae, and yet somehow he knows Shantae is coming, which would only be possible if they're planning a double reveal.

Either way, we'll have to wait and see in VGA 2020. Could be Crash, could be Shantae, or could be both.
Or any character

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Can we just wait and see if Game Awards will even GET reveals at all?

Meanwhile, there is now going to be a spirit event active on the same week as the Mario 35 tourney.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Oh I just realise something interesting about those spirits to fighters. I realised Min Min spirit is next to Bomberman spirit and Shantae spirit. Min Min first got in as a fighter, Bomberman got in as a Mii and the only spirit who should be next is Shantae. Either as a Mii or a fighter but god sake please no Mii.

Last edited:
Top Bottom