• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
12 days until TGA 2020. Since we have gotten no "hints" unlike last year, that should be a good sign.

Even then, I still have my concerns. I really don't want Fortnite to be in Smash because it's a borderline waste of a slot and Steve is already our modern gaming rep, as well as our PC gaming rep. Sakurai also wouldn't be excited to reveal a Fortnite character unless he is a Fortnite fan, which would probably be unlikely to be honest. And even though gechotaris still hasn't provided proof that he saw Shantae as a Mii Fighter on the Canadian Smash website, which proves that he was lying (and even got called out for it by one user in that comment thread), that whole thing still echoes back to me.

TL;DR: I need to rest assured that things will be fine. I'm still looking forward to a potential Shantae for Smash reveal nonetheless. Hope it's CP8.
Chill Robot. That whole Fortnite character showing up in Smash was another Travis Touchdown "No comment" situation that likely won't lead to anything significant. Do you have any idea how many developers get asked the question on "Is So-And-So likely for Smash?", and they either say no comment or something else? Everything will be fine. Don't let whoever gets revealed at the Game Awards (if it happens) worry you so much. There will be 3 more chances after CP8 for Shantae to potentially show up for Smash if she's not revealed there.

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Chill Robot. That whole Fortnite character showing up in Smash was another Travis Touchdown "No comment" situation that likely won't lead to anything significant. Do you have any idea how many developers get asked the question on "Is So-And-So likely for Smash?", and they either say no comment or something else? Everything will be fine. Don't let whoever gets revealed at the Game Awards (if it happens) worry you so much. There will be 3 more chances after CP8 for Shantae to potentially show up for Smash if she's not revealed there.
Thanks bro. I like it when people reassure me. Makes me feel more confident when I'm feeling anxious.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Not to mention Nintendo taking NDAs seriously and nobody should say anything that would tease their character coming to the game. Anyone remember the Dante fiasco last year? "Capcom says look forward to more Switch content. Dante for Smash babyyyy~ I'm so exci--wait when did he get blue hair?"

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Not to mention Nintendo taking NDAs seriously and nobody should say anything that would tease their character coming to the game. Anyone remember the Dante fiasco last year? "Capcom says look forward to more Switch content. Dante for Smash babyyyy~ I'm so exci--wait when did he get blue hair?"
So you're basically saying that if a creator is potentially hinting at their character being in Smash by saying something like "No comment" or anything else that could be a hint, it will end up being a Mii Costume instead of a Fighter?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Really, regarding if the creator of the selected series says someting or not. It is better to quietly wait on the side for three reasons:
1. Disappointment being less
2. The other fanbases doesn't set a target to throw salt if nothing occurs (Smash News)
3. If the selected character appears, it might reduce the initial salt somewhat. (Well, not all like Byleth's reveal as Challenger 5)
giphy.gif

Teeb147

Smash Legend
3. If the selected character appears, it might reduce the initial salt somewhat. (Well, not all like Byleth's reveal as Challenger 5)
I agree with those, and really, disappointment often happens cuz things dont go as you think :p Especially with nintendo we can't really predict them.

You know what's funny, that you mentioning byleth reminded me of, I dreamed that the reveal was yet another fire emblem character XD
I think it was kind of a skinnier character with red hair. I was like.. oh crapp, people are gonna lost their crud that it's another one, lol.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I agree with those, and really, disappointment often happens cuz things dont go as you think :p Especially with nintendo we can't really predict them.

You know what's funny, that you mentioning byleth reminded me of, I dreamed that the reveal was yet another fire emblem character XD
I think it was kind of a skinnier character with red hair. I was like.. oh crapp, people are gonna lost their crud that it's another one, lol.
If you dread stuff like that to the point you start dreaming about it at night, then I don't really know what to say. There aren't any potential Fire Emblem characters left that could be added besides maybe Lyn, and she's an Assist Trophy already. And I doubt any of the other Fire Emblem spirits are gonna get promoted at this point.

Unless your maybe thinking of Adol Christian from the Ys series, since he matches your description.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
If you dread stuff like that to the point you start dreaming about it at night, then I don't really know what to say. There aren't any potential Fire Emblem characters left that could be added besides maybe Lyn, and she's an Assist Trophy already. And I doubt any of the other Fire Emblem spirits are gonna get promoted at this point.

Unless your maybe thinking of Adol Christian from the Ys series, since he matches your description.
I hope you didn't take that seriously somehow. Dreams are just dreams.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
So you're basically saying that if a creator is potentially hinting at their character being in Smash by saying something like "No comment" or anything else that could be a hint, it will end up being a Mii Costume instead of a Fighter?
"No comment" can mean literally anything. I just mean when creators say that something big is coming, don't go expecting it being Smash Big.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
"No comment" can mean literally anything. I just mean when creators say that something big is coming, don't go expecting it being Smash Big.
Not to mention there are only 4 spots left for DLC. If all of the developers answering the questions of "Is So-And-So coming to Smash?" were all under NDA's in relation to Smash, then we'd probably have about 20 DLC characters/Mii costumes coming in the future XD

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
No comment means no comment. Whether that means “I have nothing to say because there is nothing to say”, “I have nothing to say because I am under NDA”, “I have nothing to say because there’s nothing to say but I wanna keep people guessing about a popular topic to build discussion around my product”...
And many more things. There’s nothing to worry about because there’s literally no way to tell anything from these statements. Smash speculators build up any “no comment” they hear as confirmation because it’s either what they want to hear, or they want to be part of the crowd that says “told you so!” if it ends up happening.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Aww that sucks XD I had a glitch happen to me while playing Seven Sirens too where after being hit by an attack a millisecond after I paused the game I was unable to pull up the pause menu for around five minutes. Thankfully it only ever happened once.
I got out by hitting the newt dash button like I zoomed out it was weird.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
No comment means no comment. Whether that means “I have nothing to say because there is nothing to say”, “I have nothing to say because I am under NDA”, “I have nothing to say because there’s nothing to say but I wanna keep people guessing about a popular topic to build discussion around my product”...
And many more things. There’s nothing to worry about because there’s literally no way to tell anything from these statements. Smash speculators build up any “no comment” they hear as confirmation because it’s either what they want to hear, or they want to be part of the crowd that says “told you so!” if it ends up happening.
It doesn't help that certain games media websites like to hype up those bits of news for a bit of cheap traffic.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Something to give while waiting for the Game Awards and the next Nintendo announcement. The creators for Super Smash Bros Crusade has shown their How to Play video.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Despite my misgivings with its story, I actually really enjoyed Age of Calamity.
In fact, I 100%ed the game and even got every single character up to level 100.

The latter one especially surprises me, since that really didn't take as long as I thought it would.
But yeah, thank god the cap isn't stupidly high and levelling via Dojo isn't stupidly overpriced.
It really took way too long in the original Hyrule Warriors, but it's much better here and I appreciate it. : 3

I seriously hope they won't change that nor raise the cap.
I don't want the level cap to rise to 255 yet again.
It's way too high.

etnoika

Smash Cadet
As far as The Steam Awards are concerned, I think Shantae would be a good fit for either the "Labor of Love" Award or the "Sit Back and Relax" Award. I wonder if 7S is actually eligible though since the game did technically release in 2019? At least the first part in the Apple store did?

And I also got my LRG package with the Special Edition and the plushie last Tuesday, but I've been so busy with work I hadn't even taken it out until today. Both the box and the plushie are a lot bigger than I expected though!

Attachments

Teeb147

Smash Legend
As far as The Steam Awards are concerned, I think Shantae would be a good fit for either the "Labor of Love" Award or the "Sit Back and Relax" Award. I wonder if 7S is actually eligible though since the game did technically release in 2019? At least the first part in the Apple store did?

And I also got my LRG package with the Special Edition and the plushie last Tuesday, but I've been so busy with work I hadn't even taken it out until today. Both the box and the plushie are a lot bigger than I expected though!
Can a game that wasn't nomiated make it to the awards?

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
I'm lowering my expectations on a VGA reveal happening. I don't expect to see the next fighter until January or February to be honest.
While January or February are not too far off, I think a VGA reveal could be like a Joker situation where we simply get a cinematic trailer to see who the next character is. Then we don't get a character breakdown until it's close to the character's release.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Off-topic
Doom Eternal for the Switch has finally shown its release date on December 8th and has a trailer. (Though, no blood and gore are shown since this is a family friendly channel.)

Last edited:

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
While January or February are not too far off, I think a VGA reveal could be like a Joker situation where we simply get a cinematic trailer to see who the next character is. Then we don't get a character breakdown until it's close to the character's release.
Plus Geoff and the VGA team should be aware of the disappointments of no Smash reveals last year and last year's show in general.
I do recall seeing something about Geoff liking to have another VGA Smash reveal or something. I don't remember exactly what he said.

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Plus Geoff and the VGA team should be aware of the disappointments of no Smash reveals last year and last year's show in general.
That’s not really a factor. If Nintendo isn’t ready to show off a character, or for whatever reason doesn’t want to, there’s pretty much jack all Geoff or the VGA team can do about it. All we can hope for is if the Smash Team is ready to show something off.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
That’s not really a factor. If Nintendo isn’t ready to show off a character, or for whatever reason doesn’t want to, there’s pretty much jack all Geoff or the VGA team can do about it. All we can hope for is if the Smash Team is ready to show something off.
If we get nothing Smash related then, perhaps we should request Nintendo to answer why.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Alright guys, I'm gonna present some EXTREMELY hot takes here on the future of some other Smash characters. Please don't make a fuss. This is all just my thoughts and opinions. That being said, let's begin:

In my opinion, Steve has killed a very large amount of competition, and only a few characters, such as Shantae, have survived it. For one, he is the very first PC gaming rep in Smash history thanks to Minecraft originating on PC. One big fear is that Reimu would be the indie rep of Smash and replace Shantae. Well, that fear has vanished thanks to Steve. Not only did Reimu get shot down, so did other PC characters like Heavy, who never had a chance to begin with. Next up, Steve is the first modern gaming rep (Minecraft only existed for 11 years as opposed to 20-30 years, Shantae is closer to 20 so she isn't a modern gaming character) who isn't owned by Nintendo. As such, tons, and I mean TONS, of characters have been shot down. Shovel Knight (who is already an Assist Trophy), Hollow Knight/The Knight, 2B, Fortnite characters etc. We have a lot of competition gone thanks to Steve, and that's a good thing. Less competition means a larger chance for our most wanted characters to get in Smash.

I've also convinced myself that for the most part, Masahiro ignores all the big names in the industry and picks characters who would seem less obvious for Smash. After all, look at FP1. It is full of characters who seemed less obvious for Smash compared to characters like Crash Bandicoot, Rayman etc. Steve is a big name in the gaming industry, but many people saw him as unlikely. Should Sakurai keep up that track record, we can probably expect to see Shantae in Smash soon enough, as she is a character who seems less obvious for Smash compared to other, bigger characters in the gaming industry.

Don't misunderstand me. I am not putting Shantae above other characters. I am simply stating that given Smash's track record of adding characters, I came up with this theory. Please do not shame me for thinking this way. I am only doing research to try and determine the outcome of Smash's roster. That said, thank you all for listening.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Alright guys, I'm gonna present some EXTREMELY hot takes here on the future of some other Smash characters. Please don't make a fuss. This is all just my thoughts and opinions. That being said, let's begin:

In my opinion, Steve has killed a very large amount of competition, and only a few characters, such as Shantae, have survived it. For one, he is the very first PC gaming rep in Smash history thanks to Minecraft originating on PC. One big fear is that Reimu would be the indie rep of Smash and replace Shantae. Well, that fear has vanished thanks to Steve. Not only did Reimu get shot down, so did other PC characters like Heavy, who never had a chance to begin with. Next up, Steve is the first modern gaming rep (Minecraft only existed for 11 years as opposed to 20-30 years, Shantae is closer to 20 so she isn't a modern gaming character) who isn't owned by Nintendo. As such, tons, and I mean TONS, of characters have been shot down. Shovel Knight (who is already an Assist Trophy), Hollow Knight/The Knight, 2B, Fortnite characters etc. We have a lot of competition gone thanks to Steve, and that's a good thing. Less competition means a larger chance for our most wanted characters to get in Smash.

I've also convinced myself that for the most part, Masahiro ignores all the big names in the industry and picks characters who would seem less obvious for Smash. After all, look at FP1. It is full of characters who seemed less obvious for Smash compared to characters like Crash Bandicoot, Rayman etc. Steve is a big name in the gaming industry, but many people saw him as unlikely. Should Sakurai keep up that track record, we can probably expect to see Shantae in Smash soon enough, as she is a character who seems less obvious for Smash compared to other, bigger characters in the gaming industry.

Don't misunderstand me. I am not putting Shantae above other characters. I am simply stating that given Smash's track record of adding characters, I came up with this theory. Please do not shame me for thinking this way. I am only doing research to try and determine the outcome of Smash's roster. That said, thank you all for listening.
Ehhhh, I don't know about most of this Robot. I don't think most of what you pointed out means a whole lot when it comes to Shantae's chances of getting in. If Sakurai had ignored all of the big names when selecting fighters than Banjo, Ridley, K. Rool and Simon wouldn't be on the roster currently, since they had been highly requested for around 2 decades until Ultimate was announced. Also, I consider Shantae to be one of the newer most popular requested characters just going from what I've seen online over the last few years. So if we go by your logic, than it means she's more unlikely than you think. Hopefully you can see where I'm coming from.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Ehhhh, I don't know about most of this Robot. I don't think most of what you pointed out means a whole lot when it comes to Shantae's chances of getting in. If Sakurai had ignored all of the big names when selecting fighters than Banjo, Ridley, K. Rool and Simon wouldn't be on the roster currently, since they had been highly requested for around 2 decades until Ultimate was announced. Also, I consider Shantae to be one of the newer most popular requested characters just going from what I've seen online over the last few years. So if we go by your logic, than it means she's more unlikely than you think. Hopefully you can see where I'm coming from.
I meant big names in the gaming industry, not the gaming or Smash communities. It's why I listed Crash and Rayman, since they are owned by big companies.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I meant big names in the gaming industry, not the gaming or Smash communities. It's why I listed Crash and Rayman, since they are owned by big companies.
Ahh... okay then... Well if it means anything, I also think that most of the other popular requests for DLC aren't likely either. Especially a lot of the 3rd party characters like Dante, Sora, Doomguy, Rayman, Master Chief, Arle, Reimu, 2B and even Crash to an extent.

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Ahh... okay then... Well if it means anything, I also think that most of the other popular requests for DLC aren't likely either. Especially the 3rd party characters.
Shantae isn't among the ranks of Rayman, Crash Bandicoot etc., so she's safe from being an unlikely character. Right now her chances are very strong. Stronger than they were back in 2018 and 2019.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Shantae isn't among the ranks of Rayman, Crash Bandicoot etc., so she's safe from being an unlikely character. Right now her chances are very strong. Stronger than they were back in 2018 and 2019.
Im going back to about 2015 when it comes to her popularity for Smash. And back then she was about on par with Rayman for people requesting her, and Crash wasn't nearly as requested back then than he is now. As much as I'm hopeful for Shantae, I still think she's not as likely as you seem to think she is. She's definitely more likely than most, but less likely as some.

Top Bottom