• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
After playing Age of Calamity, Nintendo wasn't lying about explaining the story 100 years before the disaster and the story of BOTW occurred to a certain extent.
I am seriously sick of people defending companies, with cheap word plays.

Seriously, take a look at these two sources:
Original Reveal Trailer:
Official Website Description:

Seriously, listen to and read the exact words.
How can anyone tell us that Nintendo wasn't marketing Age of Calamity as a prequel?

Dukefire

Smash Master
I am seriously sick of people defending companies, with cheap word plays.

Seriously, take a look at these two sources:
Original Reveal Trailer:
Official Website Description:

Seriously, listen to and read the exact words.
How can anyone tell us that Nintendo wasn't marketing Age of Calamity as a prequel?
Hey. chill. I know that the game wasn't really what Nintendo promoted for the trailers about 100 years ago, but it was still a blast to play regardless of the story being completely different.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Hey. chill. I know that the game wasn't really what Nintendo promoted for the trailers about 100 years ago, but it was still a blast to play regardless of the story being completely different.
Which is... completely different from what you originally said.
You defended this with "bcuz word loopholes lel" and now you admit it wasn't what it was orginally marketed as, but say the game's still fun.

Yes, the game is fun to play. But that was never the point.
My issue always lied with the game's story, not the entire game.
Gameplay-wise, it was fun, like I said from the get-go.
But the story I was promised... It just wasn't there and it's disappointing.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Which is... completely different from what you originally said.
You defended this with "bcuz word loopholes lel" and now you admit it wasn't what it was orginally marketed as, but say the game's still fun.

Yes, the game is fun to play. But that was never the point.
My issue always lied with the game's story, not the entire game.
Gameplay-wise, it was fun, like I said from the get-go.
But the story I was promised... It just wasn't there and it's disappointing.
Well, you could pick up some of the pieces from the new story and somewhat place it in the BOTW memories story. If the Egg Guardian didn't travel back in time, then BOTW would exist due to no interferences with Time for different events to occur.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Well, you could pick up some of the pieces from the new story and somewhat place it in the BOTW memories story. If the Egg Guardian didn't travel back in time, then BOTW would exist due to no interferences with Time for different events to occur.
Well if you read the Spoiler in my post in its entirely, you'd realize I kinda mentioned that, even if I didn't use the exact same words.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I just finished the story of Age of Calamity.
And I have... feelings about it...

Gameplay-wise it's a massive improvement over the original Hyrule Warriors.
Environments look far more natural and leveling doesn't take nearly as long as in the original Hyrule Warriors.
THANK GOD!
It has a very good cast of characters with their own unique playstyle.
And playing as the Divine Beasts is one of the best power rushes ever. :D
So in that regard, it rocks.

But when it comes to the story... It's just... disappointing...
Let's address the Elephant in the room.
The story in AOC is NOT the BOTW-Prequel that Nintendo said it's going to be.
In the end, it's just a generic Avengers-style "Feel Good" story with a happy ending.
The story by itself isn't bad per se, but, like I said, generic.

I originally thought nothing of the Time Travel that was introduced in the Demo.
Back then, I thought it was just there to justify to usage of the Shiekah Slate Runes by everybody and maybe a few details being different from Breath of the Wild, because of the different gameplay-style.
I was dismissive of people declaring this game non canon and an alternate timeline, thinking they were overthinking the Time Travel point.
I brought up Skyward Sword as an example of a game that had Time Travelling but didn't end up splitting timelines.
And I honestly thought it'd be the same here and that we would truly get to experience the full canon story of the Great Calamity as shown in bits and pieces in Breath of the Wild, without splitting timelines or being non canon or anything like that.
Because I honestly believed the words of Mr. Aonuma and that Koei Tecmo guy from the first reveal trailer, mean an actual canon prequel.
Heck even official Nintendo websites strongly hyped this game up to be a prequel.
But alas, all those people who said this game was non-canon and a split timeline... They were ultimately correct.

The first Red Flag should've been the very first mission in the game, where we get to see Link in Knight's Gear and not having the Master Sword.
He gets the Master Sword over the course of the game.
But in Breath of the Wild it was said that he had the Master Sword when he was only 12 or 13 and that he was made Champion long before the other four.
I didn't think much of it, but in the end, I should've realized the hint...

Most of the story actually meshes well enough with the story of BOTW, other than Link not having the Master Sword and not being Champion... until we get to the part where Calamity Ganon actually awakens.
And from there on, everything just falls apart.
In AOC Calamity Ganon awakens when Zelda is about to embark to the Spring of Wisdom, but while she is still at the castle along with Link and Impa.
Completely contradicting BOTW, where Calamity Ganon awakens when she was returning from the Spring of Wisdom and meeting up with all the Champions at the Lanayru Gate.

And it only gets worse from here.
The Champions actually survive! But that's not all...
We actually see them fighting the Blights and losing against them, but when they're about to get killed by the Blights...
Get this... The Egg Guardian uses its Time Travel ability to summon THE FOUR FUTURE CHAMPIONS!
Yes, Sidon, Riju, Yunobu and Teba are in this game's story and they all appear next to the Champions as they're about to get finished off, to aid their in their fight against the Blights.
And together with Link and party, they kill the Blights and save the Champions.

They fight back against the Guardian Swarms, save Akkala Citadel and Hateno Fort.
Zelda awakens her powers at Hateno Fort without Link's nearly dying and being carried to the Shrine of Resurrection.
Heck, after that EVEN THE YIGA CLAN JOINS THEM!
That's right, the Yiga Clan joins Hyrule in their fight against Ganon.

King Rhoam's death at the castle was a fake-out and he was alive.
And then we get an Avengers: Endgame style cutscene were everyone assembles at Hyrule Field every character, every race (including Yiga Clan) and all the Divine Beasts and they launch an all-out attack at the castle.

We fight Astor (that Ghirahim like dude) and the evil Egg Guardian, Ganon betrays Astor and consumes him...
We fight against Calamity Ganon in a Final Boss battle, who looks completely different in this game, more like Demise...
The Egg Guardian, whose name is revealed to be "Terrakon" dies (but can be revived with an unlockable Extra Ending) we defeat Ganon and seal him away.
All the Future Champions return to their own timeline and everyone lives happily ever after...

Sounds like a good enough story. But again, this was hyped up to be a BOTW-prequel.
But now that it turned out to be an alternate reality entirely, that didn't follow BOTW at all...
I'm sorry, but it's upsetting... Had they advertised this as a BOTW-themed Hyrule Warriors (which it ultimately is) instead of a BOTW-prequel, I wouldn't feel so disappointed.

One last thing: Astor is a very under-utilized character. A generic evil character, who doesn't even have a backstory.
He's just there with no explanation given whatsoever and then he dies by being consumed by Ganon.
Kinda wish they did more with him.

Sorry, I needed to vent. :(
To be fair, it's not the first time KT would take artistic liberties for the sake of gameplay, just from seeing Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors alone (both being loose retellings of historical events). It doesn't surprise me that the same would also happen here.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
To be fair, it's not the first time KT would take artistic liberties for the sake of gameplay, just from seeing Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors alone (both being loose retellings of historical events). It doesn't surprise me that the same would also happen here.
That would be fine and dandy... if it wasn't advertised as a prequel. :(

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh look, a conversation risking of dragging on that can be had either in private chat or an actual Zelda-related thread.

View attachment 292569
Sorry, I honestly didn't think this would've dragged on.
I'm not surprised, honestly. There's so little Shantae news right now that it's becoming another general thread. Even Marble Knights isn't interesting enough to talk about.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Honestly, I don't see the problem in talking about something non-Shantae related from time to time.
Especially if there is a news-drought with Shantae.

Dukefire

Smash Master
With waiting for the VGA coming in 3 weeks and maybe some more Nintendo Info drop (if they are wanting to show games coming in Spring 2021).

Dukefire

Smash Master
I don't see that WF has anymore games and content to be part of the remaining 30 milestones that I can think of. (As Seven Sirens was milestone 23 before halting.)

This is going to be somewhat slow for the remaining days in 2020. Well, until December rolls over in preparations to 2021.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So who's watching the VGAs this year? Because I'm not. I only watched a minute of last year's VGAs and I got bored real quick so I'm not wasting a hour of my life watching it only to hope there's a Smash reveal at the end only for there not to be.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I usually do to see which game of the selected category wins. Also, see of any of the companies makes a surprise drop during the last month of the year.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
I have a feeling that WayForward putting a stop to their milestones might mean something for Shantae in Smash. Would that count as a WF milestone? To me, it does, since it's a major achievement for WF.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So who's watching the VGAs this year? Because I'm not. I only watched a minute of last year's VGAs and I got bored real quick so I'm not wasting a hour of my life watching it only to hope there's a Smash reveal at the end only for there not to be.
I'll probably have it on in the background. It gave me one of my favourite announcements of all time (Psychonauts 2! I'd been waiting roughly ten years for it), and it seems like a good way to find out about games that I might not have been aware of, like Disco Elysium.

Not too invested in the results of the awards, and I figure that I won't care about 80 or 90% of the reveals that are shown, but the 10 or 20% that I do care about (Psychonauts 2, Bayonetta 3, the Telltale Batman series, Joker in Smash) can make the show worth paying attention to. (even if last year's show was a bit of a dud in that regard - looking at a recap, none of the announcements stood out to me, and with the possible exception of Gris, it didn't encourage me to get any of the games that won)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh yeah, one last thing. That big role Cristina talked about a while back?

It was for Fortnite, as it turns out.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I have a feeling that WayForward putting a stop to their milestones might mean something for Shantae in Smash. Would that count as a WF milestone? To me, it does, since it's a major achievement for WF.
That's a big "probably", seeing as WF themselves had noted that the milestone countdown wasn't going to factor into anything important.

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I’m gonna. Last year may have been a dud overall, but I’m expecting more since it’s post-release for two new consoles so they should have plenty to announce, and hopefully Nintendo has finally adjusted enough to be able to put forward a trailer or two of anything. Even if I can’t get together with people, digital viewing parties can work just the same for events.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
With only 5 nominations under Best Indie while the other categories get like 6, Seven Sirens would've been cool seeing on that list.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Is the thread done with Age of Calamity spoilers? I haven't gotten far in the game because I have been too busy in the past four days since it's been out.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Is the thread done with Age of Calamity spoilers? I haven't gotten far in the game because I have been too busy in the past four days since it's been out.
Don't worry. I kept the details of the plot that bothered me within a Spoiler Tag. ;)
(Though Dukefire failed to use the Spoiler Box and let a minor detail slip. X_X)

Dukefire

Smash Master
Fortnite. Well, didn't see that one coming. Also, she did voice young Donald Duck in Ducktales 2017 in The First Adevnture. The voice actress Russi Taylor was the voice for the old triplets Huey, Dewey and Louie with Young Donald before her passing last year.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
But stating if something is or isn't a prequel or is or isn't a split time line, is already itself a spoiler. If you like it or not is fine, but any criticism beyond gameplay is a spoiler for people who haven't gotten a chance to play through yet. And since the game isn't even out for a week I think it's fair to keep any story discussion in private.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
But stating if something is or isn't a prequel or is or isn't a split time line, is already itself a spoiler. If you like it or not is fine, but any criticism beyond gameplay is a spoiler for people who haven't gotten a chance to play through yet. And since the game isn't even out for a week I think it's fair to keep any story discussion in private.
Well that wasn't my fault.
In my OP-post, I merely said I was disappointed with the plot, but kept the details within a Spoiler Box.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So, in avoiding spoilers I've still tried to ignore many of the recent posts, so forgive me if this has already come up... But has anyone mentioned that our girl Christina Vee is in Age of Calamity?

Dukefire

Smash Master
So, in avoiding spoilers I've still tried to ignore many of the recent posts, so forgive me if this has already come up... But has anyone mentioned that our girl Christina Vee is in Age of Calamity?
Huh??? Guess she has been on fire with other games and media recently.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Huh??? Guess she has been on fire with other games and media recently.
Yeah, I haven't gotten to her part in the game yet, but I was looking on the IMDN page because one of the new characters sounded like they were voiced by Blu Mankuma (I couldn't find who was voicing said character) but among the cast list they had her. Without giving spoilers she is voicing a character who was in the original BotW but who didn't have any voiced dialogue.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Yeah, I haven't gotten to her part in the game yet, but I was looking on the IMDN page because one of the new characters sounded like they were voiced by Blu Mankuma (I couldn't find who was voicing said character) but among the cast list they had her. Without giving spoilers she is voicing a character who was in the original BotW but who didn't have any voiced dialogue.
Currently preparing to jump into the Great Deku Forest after leveling up heroes and gear. Hope to see who is the character that she voiced soon.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
If she voices a character in Age of Calamity I wonder who it is? Maybe a female shop keeper?

etnoika

Smash Cadet
Not to be a buzzkill, but haven't we been speculating on Christina Vee's "big role" for so long that she's gotten a bunch of casting roles that could be considered "big" since then?

Dukefire

Smash Master
Let's see if I remember:
Fortnite
Young Donald Duck in Ducktales 2017 since Russi Taylor has passed away
A character in Age of Calamity since she didn't have a voice in BoTW
Other roles that I can't think of.

Also, yes I think we kind of got stuck towards a false truth since we assume something big like Smash Bros. Really, anything that is assumed to be Smash Bros in any capacity will be used as fuel to keep the train going. The company that's asked about Ultimate's DLC during interviews does get the fans grabbing them as potential hint while taking a gamble to see if Fighter Status is happening or not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom