• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
The Blizzard controversy didn't do much help to Crash's chances, and neither did the spam Katsuhiro Harada receive.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I really don't think a sister company's actions or meaningless Twitter grognards will affect anything. The final call is entirely on whether Crash has been early enough on Nintendo's list of demands that Sak didn't exhaust the remaining spots for Fighters Pass 2 by the time they got to ask about him. Keep in mind that Sak hasn't outright said "no" to any of their character suggestions yet.

Plans that have been done long in advance are what matters, not the belief that recent controversies can somehow "magically" alter reality so that they're undone at the last minute.

Also, most people's intuitions here really don't mean much.

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I'm confused...
Did another Terry-Blunder happen? o_O
Nope.
Basically, there’s reports that a year or two ago, an Activision internal document leaked that had a “5 year roadmap” for Crash Bandicoot, culminating in “Crash in Smash”.
However, its never been confirmed to be an official document, and even if it was, it’s a document from Activision, not Nintendo, that would have been made 4-5 years ago since it outlined a 5 year roadmap for the Crash Franchise culminating in 2021, so it would be presented as Activision’s GOAL, not a confirmed situation.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
True, but still though. Sakurai can't grant everyones' wishes.
Well they could be much better at pleasing the fans, but at the same time I think a company should do what they want too. They're closer to a good balance now, but like in example all the fire emblem characters for promotion is a bit much.

kazoka122

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone. Random question. Does anyone have the source of the Rottytops spirit that got removed from the game before release?

kazoka122

Smash Cadet
Someone on this board once posted about Rottytops almost making it as a spirit before Smash came out. Not sure if it was real which is why I'm asking

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Someone on this board once posted about Rottytops almost making it as a spirit before Smash came out. Not sure if it was real which is why I'm asking
Well if it was someone on this board, I wouldn't give them too much attention. But pray tell, who was it that you heard this from? Can you remember?

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Probably something someone thought up. I don't think any source talked about a rottytops spirit being cut out. Would be interested to see that tho.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Nope.
Basically, there’s reports that a year or two ago, an Activision internal document leaked that had a “5 year roadmap” for Crash Bandicoot, culminating in “Crash in Smash”.
However, its never been confirmed to be an official document, and even if it was, it’s a document from Activision, not Nintendo, that would have been made 4-5 years ago since it outlined a 5 year roadmap for the Crash Franchise culminating in 2021, so it would be presented as Activision’s GOAL, not a confirmed situation.
Why do I get Grinch Leak flashbacks? o_O

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Hey everyone. Random question. Does anyone have the source of the Rottytops spirit that got removed from the game before release?
Hey! I saw you on the thread I was screaming in earlier lol! Nice to see you here.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I wouldn't give that Crash "leak" too much credence. Even if it is real, that doesn't mean Crash is in, it just means that Activision wanted to get Crash in. It's a 5 year plan, so it's them plotting out their roadmap of goals and perhaps one of those goals was courting Nintendo to get Crash in.

I love the Crash games, but I think people overplay his importance just a bit. His first three games were great, but then he had a drastic drop in quality and faded into obscurity. Tho popular, he never reached the heights of characters like Mario or Sonic, and the short lived stretch of quality games really hindered how much he could influence gaming as a whole.

He's had a resurgence for now, but most of that is from nostalgia on remakes of the first three games and the kart racer remake. His newest game is promising, but there is still no guarantee of what kind of longevity this marsupial Renaissance will have. I am hopeful that this means he will have more quality games for a while, but we simply can't know yet, particularly with Activision involved.

If Crash got in, it wouldn't be unearned, but too many people treat him as some character with a pedigree who deserves to be in Smash, when really omitting him makes just as much sense as including him.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
So you think WayForward is the exact same as every other scumbag business out there?
Capitalizing on everything no matter what?
You don't think they care about Shantae and their fans? :/
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they do care, but at the end of the day they are a business and this is helping their cause. They've not mentioned Smash Bros since around the time Mash potato Samurai asked people to stop requesting. They've not added fuel to fire for almost two years (geez has it really been that long?).

They've stayed away from the hype and have been doing their own thing. We, as fans, continue to hold out hope and push theories for Smash. They benefit from it is all I'm saying.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sure enough, yet another case of an indie doing more swimmingly on the Switch.

https://nintendoeverything.com/a-short-hike-sales-have-been-much-stronger-on-switch/

Nope.
Seeing Activision's history of leaks, I wouldn't doubt its veracity. It's the first time I've heard of the Smash part though, normally until this point it was just the "5-year plan" part that was mentioned in most places.

Wouldn't be surprised, seeing the curious timing of specific announcements I've noticed over the last few years:

It's possible. For a good while now, whenever major Crash news happen, they tend to just so happen to drop on the day major Ultimate news occur.

• :ultjoker: & Nitro-Fueled at the VGAs
  • :ulthero: & :ultbanjokazooie: at E3, on the day that Nitro-Fueled's DLC was announced
  • :ultminmin Sakurai Presents, on the day that Crash 4 was (officially) announced
  • Steve reveal, literally the day before Crash 4 launches (though that might be a stretch

If these aren't a rather uncanny series of coincidences, then it's a pattern. It's only a matter of time before the streams eventually, potentially cross.

Dukefire

Smash Master
With Steve/Alex arriving tomorrow as Challenger 7, people are satisfied for now until the next 2-3 months.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Yeah, it should take a fair bit of time for folks to know to play with them efficiently. They're so complex that they make :ulthero: look easy to use.
Looking at Steve/Alex and comparing to Hero's moveset on the core RPG mechanics. I think Steve might be a little easier since his is on resource management for people get the hang of it. Hero is all RNG with Down B, MP gauge and critical hit, you don't know what the roulette will give and you will have to work with what you have.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they do care, but at the end of the day they are a business and this is helping their cause. They've not mentioned Smash Bros since around the time Mash potato Samurai asked people to stop requesting. They've not added fuel to fire for almost two years (geez has it really been that long?).

They've stayed away from the hype and have been doing their own thing. We, as fans, continue to hold out hope and push theories for Smash. They benefit from it is all I'm saying.#
And yet, at the same time, Strife from GalaxyTrail has no issue non-chalantly mentioning in their Discord, that he got no calls from Nintendo or Sakurai, so Freedom Planet in Smash isn't happening.

So no offense, but your point is garbage.
There have been cases of character owners straight up telling you in public, that their character in Smash isn't happening.
You'd seriously think WayForward of all people would use such an underhanded tactic?

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
And yet, at the same time, Strife from GalaxyTrail has no issue non-chalantly mentioning in their Discord, that he got no calls from Nintendo or Sakurai, so Freedom Planet in Smash isn't happening.

So no offense, but your point is garbage.
There have been cases of character owners straight up telling you in public, that their character in Smash isn't happening.
You'd seriously think WayForward of all people would use such an underhanded tactic?
Not to mention that now Matt Bozon himself has now gone silent on the matter on Reddit, just like WayForward did when Ultimate was announced and stayed that way ever since. It's quite out of character for him to do such a thing, especially since he is a hardcore advocate.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Furthermore, Freedom Planet's sequel still isn't out yet. Deltarune's full game has yet to release, and we all know where that lead. :nessecho:

So of course people with only one game for their characters would admit to not getting anything in Smash as of yet. We have no solid guarantee that those would result in enduring series, especially with how delicate indie development is.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Oo, freedom planet in smash? that'd be cool. Well most likely would be a spirit event or something.

7NATOR

Smash Master
You guys have link to that Reddit AMA where Matt did not answer the Smash Question

and what are your guy's conclusion on him not Answering?

Top Bottom