• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah, this really sucks.... Why did Mike Z had to be such a *? I even met him way back during Skullgirls DLC times and even back then he came off as a *, but I just assumed it was the normal gamer has no idea how to interact with people well
Interacting with fighting game players with no concept of nuance will do that to you. People put him on a pedestal for using rollback netcode in his game, on top of associating all things about a game to it's head developer as they tend to do.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah I’m not checking on Blocked Content‘s videos anymore. He’s really annoying. Plus Gardevoir is already an assist trophy.
I miss when Blocked Content did those Snake Codexs and Palutena codexs. Now all he does on his channel is cover a bunch of ***** 4chan leaks that ain't worth paying 2 cents too. His channel was entertaining when it was mainly about the codexs.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On a more sadder news. It seems Shantae's guest appearance(and all other guest appearances at that) in Indivisible are cancelled as of now.

I've never seen Shantae be outright denied a guest spot because of upper management falling apart. This is an extremely unusual situation.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
So I guess the digital version of Risky's Revenge for Switch got delayed to the 15th? I was certain it was gonna be out today so a delay it has to be.....right?

Pin on Feelings

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
So I guess the digital version of Risky's Revenge for Switch got delayed to the 15th? I was certain it was gonna be out today so a delay it has to be.....right?

Pin on Feelings
Bug issues or something because it happens with Seven Sirens too. They delayed it because of risks of any bug issues

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
How did Shantae end up as a Spirit in Super Smash Bros Ultimate and how much input did you have on it?

Bozon:
We’ve been working with Nintendo for something like 25 years, and they know that we’re diehard fans. In this case we just sent over some artwork to be used at their discretion, on the off chance they could include her in some way. We didn’t know that she’d be a Spirit, or even what a Spirit was! We were shocked to see Shantae show up during a Smash Direct. It was awesome! Before that moment, we didn’t know any details. In cases like

that, our M.O. is to zip it and wait.
This was from June 2020.

I don't know guys... This doesn't seem good...

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

This was from June 2020.

I don't know guys... This doesn't seem good...
You weren't around when everyone thought thrid party spirits were the result of detailed contracts and agreements that precluded the chance of a fighter discussion, huh? That answer shot a big hole in the spirit naysayer's main arguments, and now look where we are today.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Yeah, Min Min's arrival changed that months ago.
Screenshot_20201010-150048_Video Player.jpg
Though, it does gives us some food for thought about Shantae's placement somewhere during the 4 open spots left for FP2.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

So, are they going to acknowledge the Indivisible situation, or...?

Yeah, Min Min's arrival changed that months ago.
Though, it does gives us some food for thought about Shantae's placement somewhere during the 4 open spots left for FP2.
Assuming that Travis is not eligible at all anymore (which he isn't, unless one is afflicted with the Seven Stages of Grief), it also means there really aren't much indies left that are viable. In regards to placement, no one can predict that, I assure you. :ridleyhat:

Ori's creators hope he'll be in Ultimate, but I think the timing for this is late. :079:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...ate_tells_fans_to_tweet_head_of_xbox_about_it

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Just remember that Nintendo is making a move not just to appreciate the fan's wishes, but also for a marketing standpoint with the audience.

For Shantae's impact, we are still unsure how the world will see her inclusion. (Well, pass her growing popularity with newer fans recently.)

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Just remember that Nintendo is making a move not just to appreciate the fan's wishes, but also for a marketing standpoint with the audience.

For Shantae's impact, we are still unsure how the world will see her inclusion. (Well, pass her growing popularity with newer fans recently.)
The way I’ve always seen it, Shantae actually does make sense from Nintendo’s point of view too as a business move more than just a fan pleasing move.

Think about it this way - the Smash indie representation besides her has Shovel Knight, Undertale, and Cuphead. Each of these games are MASSIVE successes. Which means it pleases a lot of fans - but what message does it send to indie developers? “If you’re a big success, that 1 in a million title, you’ll get recognition”. Sure, that makes sense, but is it the best message to send?

Now, if they made Shantae playable, what message would that send? She’s never been the platinum seller, her series lifetime sales is somewhere over 3 million as of an interview around Seven Sirens’ release. But they’ve put out 5 games for her, all with Nintendo.

So if they made her playable? To me, the message that would send is closer to: “Make lots of quality games, and make them with us, and we’ll recognize you.”

Obviously this is completely speculative, I’m just applying some incredibly basic business relationship theory. But it’s food for thought.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Shantae has a chance, but it's not like I'm counting on it. There's still a lot of big names out there and also characters that nintendo and sakurai might just want to have in for one reason or another. I'm open to shantae being in, that's all, and I'd be super excited if she could somehow be a fighter :D

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The way I’ve always seen it, Shantae actually does make sense from Nintendo’s point of view too as a business move more than just a fan pleasing move.

Think about it this way - the Smash indie representation besides her has Shovel Knight, Undertale, and Cuphead. Each of these games are MASSIVE successes. Which means it pleases a lot of fans - but what message does it send to indie developers? “If you’re a big success, that 1 in a million title, you’ll get recognition”. Sure, that makes sense, but is it the best message to send?

Now, if they made Shantae playable, what message would that send? She’s never been the platinum seller, her series lifetime sales is somewhere over 3 million as of an interview around Seven Sirens’ release. But they’ve put out 5 games for her, all with Nintendo.

So if they made her playable? To me, the message that would send is closer to: “Make lots of quality games, and make them with us, and we’ll recognize you.”

Obviously this is completely speculative, I’m just applying some incredibly basic business relationship theory. But it’s food for thought.
It's basic "have your cake and eat it too" strategy. If fan wishes happen to line up with whatever Nintendo or their partners are planning, then it's easier to justify adding them than if we were to wait for Sakurai to settle on characters (heck, for Steve he was initially reluctant due to his creative liberties possibly not being faithful to Minecraft's style).

Also, the rest lines up with what I've been thinking for a good while in regards to a specific statement Sakurai did in 4's era "not just any character can get in".

Which, most likely means that a third-party IP must be assured to not be a one-hit wonder if they are to be considered (one-shot Nintendo IPs are not privy to this, since it's easier to take risks with those because Ninty's financially secure). In the case of indie characters, many of those success stories happen to only have had one title to their name by the time planning for Ultimate started. Plus it prevents including any potential flukes (see Mighty No. 9).

Meanwhile, Shantae has had 4 titles by the time Smash 4 wrapped up, and now ALL her games are on Switch. While there's currently no solid guarantee that she is in, she does tick a lot of boxes for inclusion. At this stage, the only indies left that can potentially get in her way are Inti Creates characters.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
All of the Shantae games are on switch now/soon though, aren't they? (in not long)
Pretty good turn out ;p

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It would make no sense to not be allowed to talk about shantae's spirit being in anyway, it's not around her being in smash as a fighter.

And it is weird not to talk about her for smash at all besides that. (crossed fingers)

Last edited:

etnoika

Smash Cadet
Personally, I've given up on trying to decipher any hidden meanings in creators' interviews and comments online. NDAs are a serious thing and while fans will always try to pry or trick some kind of confirmation out of developers, they know how to consult with lawyers and professionals in this sort of thing about what they can say and not.

Look at the Banjo situation, for years fans asked Rare devs if Banjo was coming to Smash and even while development on the Banjo fighter was going on they (and Grant Kirkhope) all kept their lips sealed and cleverly dodged questions the entire time B&K was being prepared.

The best thing we can hope is keep speculating and hoping until the end.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I've given up on trying to decipher any hidden meanings in creators' interviews and comments online. NDAs are a serious thing and while fans will always try to pry or trick some kind of confirmation out of developers, they know how to consult with lawyers and professionals in this sort of thing about what they can say and not.

Look at the Banjo situation, for years fans asked Rare devs if Banjo was coming to Smash and even while development on the Banjo fighter was going on they (and Grant Kirkhope) all kept their lips sealed and cleverly dodged questions the entire time B&K was being prepared.

The best thing we can hope is keep speculating and hoping until the end.
Understandable but none of that really destroys Shantae’s chances. I know Matt talks about Shantae in a Smash but he only talks about her spirit and her movesets. They didn’t confirmed she’s getting in or not. All we have to do is wait until they fully say it.

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
At this stage, the only indies left that can potentially get in her way are Inti Creates characters.
I beg to differ. Inti Creates does not have a definitive mascot, since they have made many games with different characters. And before anyone brings up Min-Min, ARMS! does not have a mascot since there is no main character. Although Min-Min can be considered the mascot of the game, since she is the producer's favourite and she is the most popular character in the game.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If the next character was planned to be revealed at E3 along with Steve and we have E3 next year and we get 2 reveals there, I would feel a lot better about Shantae'a chances because to me, our girl is E3 material.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If the next character was planned to be revealed at E3 along with Steve and we have E3 next year and we get 2 reveals there, I would feel a lot better about Shantae'a chances because to me, our girl is E3 material.
There's always the VGAs. Western-based, and this year Tokyo is involved with it. If Geoff Keighley is running dry on interesting things to announce (in between Muppet sketches, commercials and pointless musical interludes), he could arrange something with Nintendo for a Smash reveal. Plus Shantae's Western-made in the first place, so she would feel less out of place than :ultjoker:. Plus E3 is in such shambles that I'll be genuinely surprised if they even manage to run it next year (yes, they announced it on Twitter some time ago, but actions speak louder than words).

Hypothetically-speaking, of course.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Also, a lad that goes vroom vroom with a tank, and whose game got pretty big with Westerners enough to have an entire series for them.
This is probably the one character that'd make me freak out the most. The only hope I'd give it though comes from the fact that the classic Blaster Master is always there whenever NES games are ported over to a new generation. Always one of the first.
I'm a huge fan and I'm not ashamed to admit that this is the best crossover I ever have and probably ever will see:
Shantae_Sophia_III.png

Aside from Shantae herself being playable in Blaster Master Zero ofcourse...
But yeah, Gunvolt is probably Inti-Creates' main series, so I guess that'd probably be their 'mascot character'.

And I don't know about you, but Steve getting in made me more hopeful for Shantae's chances. Yes, Steve is a Microsoft character now and he isn't Indie anymore. But I believe it shows we could get a playable Indie rep in Smash.
I always wondered if the 'indie' tag would be something they'd consider in selecting fighters.
At first I've always thought that they wouldn't see games as being indie or not. They'd probably be more focused on the character, the game and its series when considering a fighter.
But I've heard and read a lot about Iwata's influence after he passed away. Iwata had a vision, he wanted Nintendo to grow and become less stiff in its ways. Be more open about things. He wanted Nintendo to embrace indie games. Allow them to use Nintendo IP's more freely. I think it's safe to say that the 3DS and its Eshop definitely started to open up to indies and the Switch practically exploded with them. Then Cadance of Hyrule happened. And now with Smash we get indie Mii costumes that get the red-carpet treatment as they are accompanied by their very own music track...
It does spark some hope for me. But it's still hard to make the call of whether or not they'd be specifically going for an indie fighter character in this pass... But heck, that's probably exactly what they want, to keep us excited and speculating.
I honestly wouldn't dare to make a guess. Nintendo played their cards perfectly and I can't tell what they're is going to do next... or even when they're going to do it.
Well played Nintendo, well played...

Dukefire

Smash Master
Pretty much everyone trying to predict Nintendo's next move.

Really, Nintendo is back on the empty void card until ready to reveal.
Screenshot_20201010-112128_YouTube.jpg

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
TOY the Gamer TOY the Gamer on Discord had a fear that it would deconfirm Shantae, because he would become the third Western character in the game, and it would stop right there in terms of Western characters as DLC. I told him not to worry about it and that Shantae can still come to the game. But what do you all think?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
TOY the Gamer TOY the Gamer on Discord had a fear that it would deconfirm Shantae, because he would become the third Western character in the game, and it would stop right there in terms of Western characters as DLC. I told him not to worry about it and that Shantae can still come to the game. But what do you all think?
Lol, 3rd in the entire game, yeah... Sorry, but it doesn't matter, and there really isn't much western representation. and 2 of them are Microsoft.

Last edited:

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Lol, 3rd in the entire game, yeah... Sorry, but it doesn't matter, and there really isn't much western representation. and 2 of them are Microsoft.
I agree. The DLC should have a balance of Western and Japanese characters. Crash may be coming to Smash, but I don't think he is CP8. He might be revealed alongside a Switch port of Crash 4. Knowing Activision, they will announce and release it next year. Also, if Shantae had a 5 year plan, then that has already been filled out too.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I agree. The DLC should have a balance of Western and Japanese characters. Crash may be coming to Smash, but I don't think he is CP8. He might be revealed alongside a Switch port of Crash 4. Knowing Activision, they will announce and release it next year. Also, if Shantae had a 5 year plan, then that has already been filled out too.
Ideally, but they are a japanese company, so I get why they're biased. Lots of good characters are japanese tho.

I don't think Crash will make it in. I've seen alot of talk for him, but I dunno I just feel it won't happen. We'll see I guess.

The Robot Dump

Smash Journeyman
Ideally, but they are a japanese company, so I get why they're biased. Lots of good characters are japanese tho.

I don't think Crash will make it in. I've seen alot of talk for him, but I dunno I just feel it won't happen. We'll see I guess.
What makes you think Crash won't be in Smash? Personally, I have a feeling that he and Rayman may end up as Mii Brawlers.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Rayman- maybe with the Creeper and Pig Mii Costume showing the possibility.

Crash Bandicoot- I don't think so with his moveset and the famous Crash Dance.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What makes you think Crash won't be in Smash? Personally, I have a feeling that he and Rayman may end up as Mii Brawlers.
I don't think Rayman can fit the mii proportions, unless they squished him but then it wouldnt be the same.

It's just a feeling, or intuition, about crash not making it in. I could be wrong entirely, but I just think nintendo won't consider him to be in the game.

Top Bottom