• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Well that goes without saying, KID.
Speed up fsmash/dsmash/bair a bit, reduce the cooldown on his tilts, change or make his neutral B useful, and let us use specials out of our upB.

I'd be plenty happy after that. :applejack:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I think Sonic should have laser eyes.

And ice breath.

:093:

Tesh

Smash Hero
i want the sonic tornado back, it was stupid in sonic heroes, but that would been fun in brawl

anyone excited for nintendo direct tomorrow? there is supposed to be a special announcement at the end, might be smash related

B_AWAL

Smash Master
In all honesty... 4 Nintendo's sake I HOPE its not smash related.

They need something worth getting the system besides Smash 4, Mario Kart, the usual Nintendo big 3(Mario, Zelda & Metroid) or Pokemon related...

:sonic:.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Imagine if every Smash character has a new game coming out in the next year. It would be insane. Hell most of them already do.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
They've generally been announcing characters with game reveals and stuff. When Pikmin 3 came out, we got Olimar. With Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, we got Luigi (lol). I'm hoping maybe Toon Link with Windwaker HD release, Sonic with Lost World (dear god please) and so forth.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Doubt Sonic will be revealed alongside Lost World. Pokemon XY comes out 10 days before SLW, so the hype for whoever's serving as the Pokemon XY rep - Mega Mewtwo, some Gen VI Poke, Fairy Jigglypuff, etc. - will be diluted thanks to the small time gap between the two games, and I don't think Nintendo would do that to their biggest money maker.

I'd place money on a Sonic reveal taking place during the release of M&S at the Sochi Winter Olympics.

Speaking of SLW

Oh boy character flaws. Be still my beating heart.

Tesh

Smash Hero
So many good Nintendo games coming out this year we refuse to believe it?

Well they did confirm Megaman only to overshadow it with 2 WTF reveals right after. Its not like Sonic and Mario wont also be near the Mario game on Wii U this Dec.

Pokemon always has **** coming out though so who knows.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Sonic's Fsmash (Hypnosmash) is broken and don't you dare say otherwise.

I like Dsmash. People always think it's a spindash or something. Also Dsmash can ruin spotdodges/rolls. But like, obviously we wouldn't complain if it had more knockback and less cooldown but we're not gonna expect unreasonable things from this next installment. Cuz then like, might as well just ask for Sonic to have MK's Dsmash and etc.

Usmash is pretty lousy, but like, I don't hate it. Even Nair has it's uses.

At least all of Sonic's moves are usable. Mario's Dtilt and FLUDD are virtually useless.

Unless they pull a Bowser with Sonic, I don't see a lot of things drastically changing. If anything I'm more concerned about them making him even worse.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Just give Sonic's Utilt killing potential at around 150-155% and give it about 5 less frames of cooldown and I'd be content.

BSP

Smash Legend
At least all of Sonic's moves are usable. Mario's Dtilt and FLUDD are virtually useless.

Dtilt, yes. FLUDD, not so much.

Brawl Sonic with a throw that has KO comparable to Ness' Bthrow would be upper mid tier easily. That's what I would give him.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Sonic with Ness' Bthrow would be way too good. I'm not even seeing he would be top 5, but that one options would make him a pretty polarizing force. Its ALOT easier to get grabs with Sonic than any other characters.

I agree with Espy, Uptilt has a ****ty hitbox, its multihit (i've had snakes SDI up and pull a grenade before the 2nd hit reaches them) and its laggy so it might as well be rewarding for something.

I just want Nair to bounce off shields and for my jab to actually function.

@ Cam, FLUDD isn't useless. It can gimp some recoveries and for alot of aerials (Even the really safe ones), you can fire it into the hitbox to freeze your opponent in hitlag then upsmash through it (invincible upper body). I would like to see FLUDD used the way it was in mario sunshine though to fly around (mario NEEDS this).

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Not Sonic's playstyle (Melee-ified. not that way), but I'd give him a lot of the moves that he received from Project: M, with the inspirations coming from Sonic Battle and some hints of Sonic Advance with the three-part slide and all. That forward air is a blessing for spiking.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Dtilt, yes. FLUDD, not so much.
FLUDD is trash.

@ Cam, FLUDD isn't useless. It can gimp some recoveries and for alot of aerials (Even the really safe ones), you can fire it into the hitbox to freeze your opponent in hitlag then upsmash through it (invincible upper body). I would like to see FLUDD used the way it was in mario sunshine though to fly around (mario NEEDS this).

Also note that I said VIRTUALLY useless. FLUDD can gimp recoveries if like maybe you're playing against the worst Falco in the world or like if a MK didn't know how to not freefall from their specials. Like, if you can't sweetspot in Brawl or do basic **** like that then you should just give up playing every game. The only time FLUDD is useful is if like you have it fully charged at the perfect moment where your opponent ****ed up something that shouldn't have ever happened. FLUDD is so slow to actually be used consistently in that method of freezing hitlag. Like, I'm sure it's been done, and it can happen semi-effectively, but GaW's Uair puff is like infinitely better than that. FLUDD is barely usable. It might as well be useless.

Ness's bthrow is one of my favorite things in the world so I'd be cool with this.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Cmon now, no one can gimp MKFLUDD can push Falco's recovery up and away from where he is aiming. If he aims for the ledge he winds up above it in freefall. Its not an amazing move like tornado, but it does get some things done that other moves can't. It can cancel out or neuter some of the best recoveries, Mario just sucks so much otherwise that he doesn't get many chances to use it well.

When people are recovering low you can just push them under the stage as well.

They just need to make it push shields too next time.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I hear you, I just think the real issue with it is that there's so many other options. Like, I feel like you're taking a gamble relying on FLUDD for anything cuz it's so bad. I'd rather just try and Nair/Bair/idkanythingelse them on their way back then go for FLUDD.

I wish tornado was still around, but unless they changed things in development, FLUDD is already confirmed to be back. Maybe if they change the way the core mechanics are and make people's recoveries less stupidly safe and stuff, then FLUDD can have a real impact. Like, imagine if FLUDD was in Melee. Cape was so much more effective in Melee as well.

Tesh

Smash Hero
FLUDD would be disgusting in Melee, but then again edgeguarding in that game already is.

Its not much of a gamble to use fludd, its a projectile so if it doesnt work, no big deal. Going off stage to gimp with Mario is rough and risky.

Like I said, I hope they add the FLUDD hovering from Sunshine (was a dumb thing to miss out on), because Mario could use a better recovery. Cape gliding would be nice too.

I'll feel pretty cheated if we get less than 10 new characters without at least half the cast getting updated movesets.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I play Mario really often, and it's just hard for me to imagine realistic uses for it. I feel like it's stupid to space/control and is just overall disadvantageous, but just for you, I'll try forcing it into my game a little more and see how it goes. I'll probably hate myself and this game (more), but **** whatever will keep this game (more) interesting.

I'd be down with FLUDD hover. Sounds dope. I want Luigi to have Pultergust too since we kept the FLUDD and we got a new Luigi's Mansion game.

I agree. We were told we were getting not much bigger of cast, so they better not just copy paste a lot of Brawl stuff. Each Smash game feels incredibly different, and I have a feeling Smash 4 will be more like Brawl 2.0, which could still be great because I'd like Brawl even more if it was balanced and less ******** but I hope as the game develops they make stronger choices with it in a direction that's sustainable. They already seem to be at a good start (no tripping lolol) and all the revealed stages so far actually look like viable neutral stages so we'll just have to wait and see. I hate over speculating.

Tesh

Smash Hero
We don't need neutral stages if they fix stage builder and let us use it online too (even building stages together across the globe).

Copy pasting seems so lame when most of these characters have such a rich history, ripe with so many moves and power ups over 30 years.

I wouldn't mind poltergust over the luigi tornado I guess, but it would have to be good and maybe helpful in recovering?

Btw the key to using FLUDD well is learning your aim. Its twice as powerful as Squirtle's water gun. Make sure when using FLUDD induced hitlag, you reverse your upsmashes to break through frozen aerials.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Going by SSB4 footage, FLUDD is as powerful and quick as a fire hose now, so we'll see how effective it is now.

Sakurai's gone on record saying that most characters will get changed/updated movesets. Bowser's already been seen with the changes, and I can't imagine Jigglypuff being back in without Fairy-type moves to showcase. We'll just need to see new trailers to see if he'll keep to his word - a trailer at Gamescom would be a good indicator.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Anyone notice how MegaMan's UpB works almost exactly like Sonic's spring? Like, besides not confirming how Rush's hitbox works, it's the same thing. Also it kinda looks derpy as hell seeing a dog just flipping and falling lol...

http://youtu.be/e-hPRocg8Yw?t=49s

I mean, it concerns me since it's such a unique move to Sonic and they basically ripped it, and they're both third party entrants. It doesn't guarantee Sonic not being back but I'm just gonna be a little ***** and get worked up over it.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Mario, Luigi, Marth, and Peach all share strikingly similar UpBs. Captain Falcon and Ganondorf. The Space Animals. The Links. Bowser and DK. Ivysaur, Zero Suit Samus, and Olimar. Ness and Lucas.

I'm sure Sonic and Megaman sharing an UpB mechanic means little. I mean, Game and Watch technically had that mechanic first anyways. Sonic's mimicking G&W, if anything. :applejack:

Tesh

Smash Hero
It does seem surprisingly lazy, considering Megaman (much like mario), has a rich history of power ups and something more unique might be possible there. I would have liked to see Rush Jet there. Megaman creates a platform that he pilots. You can quickly aim it at the beginning and it would just fly slowly in a straight line (other players can stand on it too I guess) and you get to jump off whenever after a short period (like wario's bike).

Peach is pretty unique with her up b mechanics though. Mario and Luigi have always been clones even in other games so thats a given. Marth doesn't come from a platformer so it comes down to just making up something generic to make him rise (just like falcon and the zelda characters).

I have to imagine that a giant robot dog falling on you must hit like a freaking truck.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yeah, I mean, it could make a lot of sense if Sonic did come back cuz then the third party characters would have a similar move, much like your comparisons to the Mario Bros. being similar and such. Like I said, I'm mostly overreacting because I'm going to be a mess until they make it official, lol.

Hell, like you're saying, it could even mean that Sonic IS back since they're sharing that one similar mechanic. It'd be pretty douchey to not bring him back and give Megaman his move.

The difference with GaW though is that he doesn't drop a projectile below him the same way that spring and Rush work... Amongst other differences, lol.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Yea, it seems pretty clear Rush works almost exactly like Sonic. Screenshots and video all show he hangs around for a while on the ground and can probably be used by other players. I cant imagine this not having a hitbox too.

Megaman is gonna be one campy edgeguarding beastly mofo.

I also cant imagine Sonic not returning. He is such a major asset on Nintendo's side.

I strongly believe Megaman, Sonic and Banjo belong with Nintendo as much as Mario or Kirby or Link.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Agreed.

Too bad Banjo is Rare and Microsoft bought Rare and Nintendo only saved the DK assets of Rare and abandoned Banjo... Then we got Nuts n' Bolts...

I wish Banjo was in Smash 64 like they planned cuz that would've permanently solidified him as a Nintendo icon.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I weep for the loss of Banjo and Conker. The fact that Microsoft refuses to make good games with them makes it worse. Its not like Rareware is partnered with a different company now, its more like Rare is being held hostage to prevent Nintendo from having more ammo.

In the end I guess it saves me the 600$ i'd waste on an Xbox One just to play the one exclusive I'd care about.

Top Bottom