• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
If I may provide my insight on the MU. I'd like to say I know it fairly well.

Speed, I'm not certain what issues you may be having specifically, but I can tell you that the notion that just because you get Snake in the air, does NOT mean that it's an easy win for us. If that were the case, he would not be one of the best characters in the game. It's still a 60:40 match-up imo, when played properly. Our best kills come from taking him out inbetween attacks on-stage, your best option being that of BAir, and off stage it's no different.

Snake lives up to his games' combat systems of CQC. If you're gonna fight him up close? For the love of god do not throw attacks out there or hope your grab will work. You can afford to go aggressive at the beginning of the match against him, when being smart about it that is. Defensive is the way to go when you're at a higher percent or have the stock lead. If you don't try and regain SOME sort of ground from him, he's gonna camp and set C4/grenades/mines everywhere. As for those grenades? USE them. Most of the time you're gonna have the time necessary to pick it up and toss it right back at him.

There's many ways you can utilize Snake's own grenades against him, ESPECIALLY as we're the fastest in the game. And to me? I find that this is the one big thing we have against Snake that nobody else has. Our glide toss is nuts to use against him. Whether you're throwing it AT him, away, or up. Most Snake players are going to throw up their shields if we're gonna throw their grenades back. Take advantage of that by following up with a grab to punish, predict the spot dodge as you come in to punish the explosion on their shield, and one of my personal favorites that I've used on occassion? ESPECIALLY at higher percents when the attack has knockback?

Grab the grenade, jump above them? Toss it down and let it explode on their shield. Then instead of pressuring their shield?? Watch them spot dodge as they suspect you coming down for shield pressure with a BAir or something, and use the Homing Attack. It's both risky AND rewarding if you indeed manipulated them into spot dodging. Flash? A little bit, but effective as a mix-up. Also, inbetween his pressuring tilts, low or high percentage-wise? A good FAir or UAir OoS does wonders. Just one of many ways to combat Snake, along with tried and true and more simple methods of Sonic play such as Spin Charge rushing them. Also, ASC at low percents on them? Great because of Snake being a tall target to eat a lot of shield. Also, from what I've found? After a dash attack that pops them up into the air at the higher percents? Stay there and start charging your FSmash or DSmash. Impulse on Snake's part is gonna have them coming down with a BAir to protect themselves to get to the ground. Sometimes, that is. Otherwise they grenade pivot or cypher. And even when they cypher? They're just putting themselves in a vulnerable spot anyway.

Also, our FTilt at low percents on a Snake we get off the stage that we catch going lower or getting on the stage? Perfect for setting them up for eating a lot of BAirs or grabbing them out of the cypher. Or footstooling their C4 recovery. The best style against Snake because he can control your camping methods by throwing grenades at you, is the passive aggressive style. I honestly think that if Snake's UTilt wasn't so broken in range and had a little less power on it, and the damage on FTilt wasn't as insane, this match would be even. Snake just does SO much damage, and can kill us so fast if he predicts us right. Especially when it comes to grabbing. Which brings me to my other point. Don't try to get-up attack or roll away. Most times? Snake's gonna see it coming. Because even if he doesn't grab us from a roll? He'll throw up a shield as a failsafe just in case we did a get-up attack instead as he tried to predict the roll, and we'll be in range of UTilt and FTilt anyway.

My advice? Standard get-up and SPRING. Mix it up for sure, but that's proven, to me, to be the best way to escape Snake's grab game.

Against Snake? It's all about punishing, just like any other character we face, ultimately. It's just that THIS one happens to build the damage and kill us easily when predicted correctly. You'll be surprised at what unorthodox tactics will do for you. Example? I also use Fox sometimes, and I'll SH-Laser into an opponent. When they would wanna punish me? What they don't realize is I have ZERO lag upon landing. You wouldn't believe how many people I've caught off guard by SH-Lasering into a DSmash because of just how damn fast it was when used correctly. I think it's comparable to a Marth using Dolphin Slash to punish someone's attempt to punish.

That being said? Against competent Snake players? ...it's still gonna be tough. But those are a few of our tools we can use to our advantage. Different strokes for different blokes really, but imo, all that playing campy does is let Snake control the pace of the match instead of the other way around. With a guy like him, we have no choice but to force the battlefield into an equal playing field to stand a chance.

[EDIT]

This knowledge comes from my matches with KillLock and SuPeRbOoM primarily, as they are the best that Alberta has to offer in Brawl, rank-wise. Also matches elsewhere when I play people in Texas for the likes of WHOBO 3, the past in Genesis, and in Hawai'i. The Genesis and Hawai'i ones are older examples, but experience over the years nonetheless. Hope this perspective helps.

[EDIT #2]

I used a lot of questions to make my points, I just realized that. Lol Guess that's my way of going, "I got a question. Well I'm glad that I asked. Here's the answer!" XD

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Speed, the MU thread getting destickied and lost to the ages is not a huge loss. If you have any questions, either here or elsewhere, you're always welcome to ask. You're no exception to the rule, even the best of the best (and even if they've retired) all need help here and there.

That being said, I wish I could add, but not only have I not played the MU in months if not years, I don't think I've ever played with someone who was actually good with Snake. 'Less you count that one friendly with @!!'/ (namesearch bait) when he just happen be in town for something only God remembers by this point. I wish you luck.

:093:

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Kuraudo, does Kill not know how to strip grenades? Like, every Snake player I've gone against has stripped the grenade right in front of me. So I have pretty much given up throwing them. I will either Z-catch and insta-throw them or just pick them up and kamikaze them.

WedginatorX

Smash Champion
Holding side-B against Cheese until he quits.
My matches with Ally were just like
>On my side I bair him and try to combo into **** because he's a heavy. Bair > grab kept on working. If he had a grenade near us and I got a grab, bthrow. If not, fthrow > fair or uair juggling. Don't spindash besides ASC when you're at mid %s. At this % range, you're not at high risk of dying if he reads your ASC. ASC>uair gets him off of his feet to interrupt his fantastic ground game. Also, watch snake's landing and try to read it with side B>uair to keep the juggling up.
>It was honestly pretty easy to camp him, and I had a lead for the first 2 stocks before my worst mistake in history. Just keep the whole stage between you if possible; when he gets close run up to him and spindash through him or when he gets near you jump up and spindash over his head.
>In terms of edgeguarding, you just HAVE to go offstage. We can't kill him with anything. I lost my lead against ally because I tried to read his landing when he was @ 160% with a charged fsmash- it traded with his bair, and he lived while I died. Twas depressing. We have to gimp him offstage, and no good snake should be recovering low so cypher gimping is out of the question.
>Super simplified: Bair and juggle him, go offstage for kills.
>Ally was doing only a little bit of camping that I was somehow punishing with hyphen smaashes lmao. He went mostly aggro. Set a lot of traps with dsmash and down b, and used grenades as more of a close range threat to force me into situations with fewer options. Snake's dthrow... just get up and spring out of it. No one seems to punish it effectively. Whenever I rolled or getup attacked Ally just ***** me, so springing is best. Approaches with mortar slides you just need to react as quicklly as possible and shield; try to punish with at least dash attack if grabbing is unsafe- anything to keep snake off his feet. Watch that he doesn't bair you after DA though.
>Snake's main objective is to build you up to 100-120% and get an early kill with either utilt or some stupid dsmash/down B trap. Watch out for his return to the stage- he should be recovering high, so don't get ***** off the top trying to punish him. Also, never airdodge to the ground into him. Always land away because he wants that utilt kill earlyy.

...Snake matchup sucks.

KillLock

Smash Lord
Kuraudo, does Kill not know how to strip grenades? Like, every Snake player I've gone against has stripped the grenade right in front of me. So I have pretty much given up throwing them. I will either Z-catch and insta-throw them or just pick them up and kamikaze them.
I strip all the time, lol. Kuraudo uses insta-throw pretty well though so even when I strip the nade is halfway to me already.

/datnamesearch

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
um idk wat to do vs snake so im reading kuraudo's post atm, i only know that ftilt is a good oos option against snakes ftilt=/

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Who?

10misplacedmediacoverage
Oh thank God I wasn't the only one who couldn't be bothered to keep up with this crap.

Basically nothing new. Young mother who couldn't handle the responsibility of being a mother, somehow covered up the murder of her own daughter, found not guilty, basically O.J. Simpson 2.0.

I'm going to sleep. Tell me when "news" happens, not "life."

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Yeah, I'm sorry.

'Cause it isn't like people die everyday anyway. :(

Seriously, local news is worth keeping up with. Something that happens across the land, eh not so much~.

I don't get why she had to get the publicity though, if they're going to do that they may as well pay respects to every other victim that goes through the same thing and give all of them coverage. But since we live in non-fantasy land; this is what happens.

I wonder how many people here know that there was quite the ordeal around here in Nevada with a doctor who got hundreds of people infected with HIV and Hepatitis C with reusing needles. Something like I know, but wonder if anyone in Montana does...

Life

Smash Hero
Kinz: *brofist*
EDIT: You ninja'd me. Brofist withheld.
not really
Could you link that story though? It'll make a good case-in-point...

Way to downplay the value of a human life, Kinzer.
Very respectable.
People die every day, from diseases to car crashes to wars to street shootouts. Yes, life is sacred, but what makes this case so special? A friend of a friend of mine has a few-months-old child with infant cancer (he's doing very well for his disease last I heard, FWIW). What's the difference?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Huh?

On the internet?

Bro, you don't need me to link it to you, knowing how these sorts of things work, they're probably everywhere by now. I just hope for your sake you find a site with facts, not opinions; assuming you want to know more than just my half-baked TL;DR version.

You'll get enough of opinions of the matter... or lack thereof, from me.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
The case is getting such recognition because the victim was a 2 year old child and the suspect was the mother. This isn't a random **** crime, or gang-related incident.

I blame the media accentuating and exacerbating the entire thing. People flew to Orlando and treated the case like a goddamn tourist attraction, that's how much media coverage it got.

sonictailslink

Smash Journeyman
Henderson & Downtown Express, Las Vegas, NV
TBH, I'm just glad it's over. Though she was found not guilty on the charges for the death of her daughter, but she was found guilty on lying to the police. I remember those reports about the people going to Orlando just to watch this trial. It's a trial that could mean death to her. This is not Judge Judy.

Also, I really don't care about National News. I mainly just care what happens locally, during the weekdays. :X

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
... It ain't over until they get the interviews from the jurors.

This won't die for another two weeks, I'm calling it right now. ;_;

Also GDI, people going to Orlando just for a trial? Why can't Nevada; specifically Vegas, get that type of revenue on the spot or all the time? @#$%'s depressing with bad economy and worst unemployment rates (15%) in the nation, for reals man. :/

/Trying to lighten the mood.

I'm not sure how far I want to take this. I've already made my point, now I just have to respect that others will want justice done obviously (so do I), while I have to hope others will know I'm just tryin' to keep it real and just relax until the next big scoop.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
I don't watch t.v, so I don't know **** about the news here in Louisville. Much less about some young, unwilling mother killing her 2 year old. While it is sad and heinous, I care very little this. I'm with Kinz on this. There's probably a young mother who is planning or is doing the same thing Casey did. It doesn't call for mass media swarms.

sonictailslink

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to recall if we had something like that in Las Vegas that the mother kills their own child just because she didn't want to deal with the responsibility of being a parent. I think there was but it only just got local attention. However, don't take my word for it if there was a case here in Las Vegas, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Oh that~!

That's actually old news, I'll have to see if I can find it still in some archives. Jerry, help me out with this one if you think you can remember any better than I can.

Might edit this, so~...

Wait right here!

Aha~!

KinzertheBrawler 1:28 pm
Wait.
Hold on a sex.
...sec*
Dammit.

Jerry Nunn 1:29 pm
lol

KinzertheBrawler 1:29 pm
Who put these characters next to each other?

Jerry Nunn 1:29 pm
the person who invented the typewriter?

KinzertheBrawler 1:30 pm
Check the social.
In the meantime, I'm going to see if I can remember the doctor's name.
Dr. Kaplan

Jerry Nunn 1:32 pm
are you sure it's Kaplan?

KinzertheBrawler 1:32 pm
Isn't it?
You're right, I should make sure.

Jerry Nunn 1:33 pm
i thought it was Dipak Desai

KinzertheBrawler 1:33 pm
I never heard that name before, you got an article?

Jerry Nunn 1:33 pm
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/...as-hepatitis-c-outbreak-sent-mental-hospital/

KinzertheBrawler 1:34 pm
... Freaking Faux news.
You think you can find a local news article Jerry or is this the best we have?

Jerry Nunn 1:34 pm
http://www.lvrj.com/news/desai-doctor-in-hepatitis-c-outbreak-not-competent-for-trial-115527269.html

... Not competant...
... Hmm~...
This sounds like the guy.

it's the guy

Why am I thinking Dr. Kaplan though?

*shrugs*

KinzertheBrawler 1:35 pm
... Dude.

Jerry Nunn 1:35 pm
I remember the doctor charged in the case suffered strokes

KinzertheBrawler 1:35 pm
Do we have like multiple doctor's or something?
Look at this.
http://www.lvrj.com/news/letter-say...sibility-in-reused-needle-case-119031459.html

Jerry Nunn 1:37 pm
i think this one is a seperate case

KinzertheBrawler 1:37 pm
It's funny how it's all basically the same though.
It did happen here at home though, yes?

Jerry Nunn 1:37 pm
yep

KinzertheBrawler 1:38 pm
... So what're we gonna tell InCom?
Don't get any medical exams done here?

Jerry Nunn 1:39 pm
make sure you check with doctor that they don't reuse equipment

KinzertheBrawler 1:39 pm
Nah but seriously, it's surprising that a lot of these incidents have actually been going on.
... Hehe, "incidents."
You know what?
Even better.

When all else fails, copypasta FTW~!

Auu~, seriously though, either I need to get better sleeping hours, or start paying more attention to local news more/ Something I've been neglecting for years now because I thought it was all the same national/politics which doesn't mean a damn thing (to me).

Life

Smash Hero
See, Kinz, I'm coming from the opposite perspective, that politics is WAAAAAAAAAAY more important than something like this. If, for example, certain other countries decided to stop letting us borrow more and more money... well, the results would make the current recession look like... not a recession? (Not that it would be a really good idea to purposely crash the US economy--VERY few people would have a reason to intentionally do so.) And thus any news involving fighting off the national debt is highly relevant to my life.

If that doesn't keep you up at night, look up "electromagnetic pulse attack" (or let me do it for you). The tl;dr version is that one well-placed, sufficiently large nuclear blast is capable of wiping out ninety percent of the US population and screwing over electricity for the survivors. And I wouldn't be surprised if at least one rogue dictator would be willing to do it, too. So news relevant to him is important too.

Sweet dreams!~

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Tell that to those who bought a plane ticket for Orlando solely to go see a court case that will have no effect on them whatsoever and that they will completely forget about in two weeks.

Life

Smash Hero
Tell that to those who bought a plane ticket for Orlando solely to go see a court case that will have no effect on them whatsoever and that they will completely forget about in two weeks.
CASEY ANTHONY IS SRS BSNS :mad:

More seriously: uhh.... how many people actually did that?

sonictailslink

Smash Journeyman
Kinzer, for the love of god, tell me, how does LAS VEGAS run out of money?
Tourism fails in recessions?
Pretty much yeah. Sorry for answering for Kinzer, Goggles, but since the recession started, tourism been falling pretty much dramatically. Even though tourism been picking up for the past few months, however people are spending less at the casinos, food, shopping, etc. Many of the casinos been reporting losses almost every quarter, even double digit losses. Some of the casinos laying off employees and just last month, one of the oldest casinos, the Sahara Hotel, closed their doors because of the poor economy. If people spend less, the casinos don't make a profit which they give less back to the city and state.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Kinzer, for the love of god, tell me, how does LAS VEGAS run out of money?
People already beat me to it, but yes. Nobody wants to spend their money on recreation in a time where saving for a better life is the wiser choice.

It probably didn't help that our own president told the country that very same tip, even though that basically is the town's biggest revenue.

Honest to God, there's nothing in this state that makes it special unless you're interested in the history of the gold/silver rushes, the only state that has counties with (legal) prostitution, and perhaps some political significance in the capital. At least when you ignore gambling.

Now if we could only do something about the absurdly high legal drinking age limit, we'll probably be in business, no pun intended...

crap, i already can't keep up.

Are y'all talking about Politics? Sounds fun.
Uhm, sort of. Topics tend to move pretty fast in the social, so don't be too surprised if you are gone for three to seven days and when you first see one topic, later on you see an entirely new topic that has no relation to the first.

Also I just realized where I found this attitude on "life."

When you become depressed to the point where it doesn't matter to you if you die the next day, you tend to realize just how truly insignificant you really are as far as the entire world is concerned and everyone else for that matter.

I'm not going to support that kind of attitude now or ever though, I'll be the first to tell you that even if you aren't world-recognized (for a good thing too even), you still do matter to people (the ones that genuinely love and care for/about you), and you can at least make a difference in your community. I will not even going to get into how some people only live to intentionally make others miserable, those people deserve to die.

I am so glad I had the friends I did/do now to help remind me of that one tiny but essential detail I've forgotten, or taken for granted before it could've gotten any worse. Even if I can't change the entire world, I'll make this place one better to live in before I move on elsewhere.

Top Bottom